Awoo.

Spoiler Topic [Warning - Untagged Discussion]

Carbo

After watching it....yeah. This looks pretty good. Now the hidden zones were a major letdown. I was expecting more. But the music, while good, was not what I expected from a Sonic game. Seemed too marioy. And the level design. While I skipped a ton of the stream.....it seemed fair. The last non hidden stage was legit as fuck. EGGMANLAND 2.0 was pure sex. And the final boss theme was good. That guitar was the best thing to come out of it. Sadly it hurts to see how easy it is to take out most of the bosses. 

Well there are still the difficulty settings. Hard mode anyone?

Finished watching the cutscenes.

The Good:

Characters are written properly (with one exception, I will get back to that later) with personalities in check. Zeti are a bit stereotypical however.

Eggman's monster strength is now canon. Eggman can also keep up with Sonic while running, so take that as you will.

Eggman is also gloriously fiendish at the end using everybody for his needs.

Orbot's snark is back. Cubot is blissfully loyal.

Sonic's snark is back but...

The Bad:

Sonic's lines can be a bit corny and at some points atrocious "I'm going to conquer your face!" It seems like Sonic cannot be fast enough to run away from spouting terrible lines or bad writing. He's too slow.

Amy's VA. Wow. She is grating.

Zeti can be stereotypical. I wish they would have fleshed them out more than beyond their stereotypes (E.G: Zomzom is a big fat slug who loves food and only food. Zeena likes to be pretty and is easily flattered with charm.)

The Atrocious:

Tails. Let's talk about Tails for a second. While Tails ties as my least favorite character in the Sonic series along with Silver and Shadow, Tails seemed way off the mark in this game. They made a character who I personally found unlikable even more so.

But, my preference for Tails will not shadow this review. Again, let's go to the root of the problem.

The good thing is that Tails grew. He knew that Eggman was already up to no good anyways, and Eggman did save him from attack (even Sonic!) Yes, it was understandable that Tails grew bitter and angry at Sonic when he assumed that Sonic trusted Eggman more than him. Again, that's assumption because Tails placed the blame on Sonic without knowing Sonic's reasons why. That's all great because that's what we call characterization and that's how characters tend to grow is by learning from experience.

However, Tails comes off as a bitter, snarky unlikable dick for most if not all of the game. It was like characterization was leaning on a lever and forced power levels to head too much in one direction, and if under the guise what the writers think that's how you make a character mature, they need to learn again. Tails didn't seem like the sweet-natured fox that we all grew up with, he came off as a somebody with every problem on his shoulder. Like everybody's problem - not even what is relegated to in the game.

I have always joked that deep within Tails's psyche was a bitter old man, but it seems that the writers took it too far. He has seen problems and perhaps like Sonic is starting to grow snarky because of his idol's personality is rubbing off of him, but it still is no excuse for Tails to act like a total dick in this game. It doesn't seem to mesh with his personality, nor is there any explanation for why the way he acts now.

At least Eggman can hold his tongue, but sometimes I wish that he would call Tails out on his rotten attitude in this game. Just...wow.

Another thing is how bad the ending with Eggman is. It's like Saturday morning bad as in "ha ha, the villain learns nothing, oh look let's let him fall to his death (when surprisingly enough he saved Sonic's life possibly just to toy with him later) and not explain anything about how the characters grew." It's disheartening when they don't flesh out personalities enough, and I think this is the game's worst flaw when it comes to the writing. That part seemed lazy, cheap and disrespectful and reminiscent of the terrible endings as Eggman being played as a joke like a cheap schadenfreude harp reflected in Shadow, or Heroes.

The part after was funny with poor Eggman losing half of his moustache (it doesn't explain why apparently or either that the feed was terrible because it would stall around that part.) and having his hubris whipped. I have no problem with it after what he pulled because after all he is the villain. Sadly it is never explained how he escaped from the blank dimension from the former game.

Cutscenes are great with some exceptions, Pollock's voice acting is always the highlight (His "You" to Zomzom cracked me up.) Eggman however wasn't as epic as the writers were touting him to be in this game. It was getting there, but if only they went a little further.

Just a little further.

Edited by Scheming Minor
  • Thumbs Up 1

And to think, from that cutscene shown at Sonic Boom people thought Tails would be the wannabe wimp in this game. Irony to the max!biggrin.png

Edited by Jovahexeon

And yet, he's still not fucking playable.

Bonus stages and Circus stages in Lost World called.

... but it still is no excuse for Tails to act like a total dick in this game. It doesn't seem to mesh with his personality, nor is there any explanation for why the way he acts now.

1. It's Eggman.

2. He feels like he's being replaced.

3. It's Eggman.

Another thing is how bad the ending with Eggman is. It's like Saturday morning bad as in "ha ha, the villain learns nothing,

Wait wait wait, at what point did you expect Eggman to learn anything?

1. It's Eggman.

2. He feels like he's being replaced.

3. It's Eggman.

Wait wait wait, at what point did you expect Eggman to learn anything?

He still acts like a bitter dick. Tails could tone the snark button down like in previous games while still retaining his mistrust for Eggman. Here Tails acts like a completely different character - not Tails. Even if the mistrust was guided towards Eggman, he still in the past acted like Tails. See-Chronicles, SA2, SA1.

YES. He did in SA2. Learning things is all about character growth. Doesn't mean it's going to dissuade him from trying to take over the world, but Eggman could still learn a thing or two like everybody else.

Edited by Scheming Minor

The NiGHTS DLC is literally a bunch of easy boss reskins

lol

Why are people surprised about this? we knew this months ago!

Why are people surprised about this? we knew this months ago!

I'm hearing they're easier than the D6 bosses.

Just say that you want Sonic to be as childish as possible. No melodramatic moments, no characters crying, no raging, nothing. Just sandwithces, BBBE and fighting appleas and other fruits. Since Unleashed games have becoming progressively childish.

I just want Sonic to have that edgy look he used to have up until Colors.

You may not reply to this post. It seems we have completely opposite views on what the series should be and who it should be aimed for.

facepalm-over-animal-ags-stupidity.jpg

You had that coming.

First off, did you really even see those cutscenes? Nothing speaks chilidish like the apparent death of everyone you know and/or love, the constant blows to your body and mind, and downright suspense! From Sonic's view of things, everyone was dead or roboticized and the weight of the world was on his shoulders. We actually got a story that fleshed Mr, "I Always Win" himself and you're calling it childish and horrid story-telling still?

I can go into detail why this story pleases me while all I've seen you do is rate a story purely based on your biased hatred of the aesthetics. Seriously, "sandwitches and apples" makes this game childish?!

bvu.gif

Honestly, Art, are you even sure the word "childish" is even appropriate considering as how what actually appeals to children is as random as the weather?

Quit it with the condescending shtick that ascends your opinion to fact and makes people who think otherwise, "blind fanboys".

And "don't reply to this quote"? Seriously, are you honestly coming onto the internet and expecting to not get a reply? Wake and smell the chilidogs for pete's sake 'cause that kind of attitude will get you blasted in a debate!

• Thumbs Up 9

He still acts like a bitter dick. Tails could tone the snark button down like in previous games while still retaining his mistrust for Eggman. Here Tails acts like a completely different character - not Tails. Even if the mistrust was guided towards Eggman, he still in the past acted like Tails. See-Chronicles, SA2, SA1.

YES. He did in SA2. Learning things is all about character growth. Doesn't mean it's going to dissuade him from trying to take over the world, but Eggman could still learn a thing or two like everybody else.

Chronicles isn't exactly an example of good writing, they never teamed up in SA1, and Sa2 he isn't being replaced.

You're so focused on Tails being a dick that you're not even understanding "why" he's being so hostile in the first place.

Chronicles isn't exactly an example of good writing, they never teamed up in SA1, and Sa2 he isn't being replaced.

You're so focused on Tails being a dick that you're not even understanding "why" he's being so hostile in the first place.

No, I understand why he's being hostile. Characterization doesn't go out of the window with me.

As I explained before, I understand why he is angry, but I feel that they pushed his attitude too far. He comes off as a dick than someone who is more concerned or distrustful. Again it doesn't seem anything like how Tails was in the past when he was angry - he's being more snarky like Sonic, understandable, but too much.

Edited by Scheming Minor

What specifically do you think crosses the line?

e:

Again it doesn't seem anything like how Tails was in the past when he was angry

Characters were barely allowed to get angry in the past. Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 2

Dang, Zazz puts up quite a fight in the 3ds version!

Edited by Jovahexeon

What specifically do you think crosses the line?

I think this is directed towards me.

His attitude. It seems like the writers are trying to make him "grow up too fast" by making him have an overtly hostile attitude. His snark seems like something directed for Sonic more than anything. Tails doesn't seem like Tails anymore, and even if he did 'grow up' I don't think it would be anything like this - something in between.

I still don't like Tails in this game and nothing anybody on this board says will change my mind about it. He just comes off as dickish.

I understand and appreciate the emotions they put into this game which is great, because it seems to be one of the most emotionally invested and written Sonic games that has been out for a long time. I just feel that the writers could have invested a bit more into it.

It's a bit hard to explain, but Tails seems a little...off in this game.

Oops, saw your edit:

Characters were barely allowed to get angry in the past.

Is this actually a thing by SEGA, like a mandate (E.G. Eggman is not supposed to win over Sonic,) or is this just from observation?

Edited by Scheming Minor

I must be dreaming. A proper 3D underwater themed level in Sonic Lost World ! Shame it's only for the 3DS... Why are you playing with my emotions DIMPS !

3DS version might actually be a big better than the Wii U version! Let's hope Dimps have made the final boss harder!

Only watched the ending because I am busy, but the last part of the ending was fucking hilarious, it´s like: "HEY GUISE I SAVED THE WORLD COOL NOW LET ME SIT ON THE GRASS"

On the other hand, I really hate Tails in this game. It´s very nice that he can do things by himself, but the writers made him too cocky.

Tails started being cocky since colors I guess hanging out with some who has an ego like sonic for years will do that to you

So I guess after sleeping for a bit I got a somewhat different opinion on what I saw last night.

The game looks to be incredibly fun for the most part of the first four or five zones, and by around Sky Road, Lava Mountain and the Hidden Worlds are where the level design takes a turn for the really uninteresting. Seems to get much more slower paced than the previous stages, which isn't too bad for later levels in the game, but these stages look a bit too slow thanks to Colors-esque platforming.

I also need to see all the cutscenes up to the end to make judgement (only saw the cutscenes starting at the end of Silent Forest), but I think I can trust everyone's statements by how it seems they nailed tone and character interactions. Its just a shame that it also seems to go without any sort of climax, closure, or backstory; which is a really big problem (that I do not think should be forgotten in the midst of the good), but I guess it is good to accept what nice things we got otherwise.

As for the visual and musical style.. I like it, but I'm not gonna lie. I want to see Sega do the style before this again. I love the color usage in the environments as well as the cartoonier special effects and badniks, whatnot, but the actual worlds aren't nearly as impressive or lovable as the fidelity of the Unleashed/Colors/Gens levels. And the music goes back and forth from being totally stellar to being a bit monotonous, which is strange.

I'm a bit more positive now, after the initial reaction. The game's definitely well made, just a bit incoherent at times, especially near endgame. It'll at least give me enough of a reason to get a Wii U. tongue.png

Edited by Aspoopkara