Awoo.

Spoiler Topic [Warning - Untagged Discussion]

Carbo

Just been through hell in Zone 4 of Silent Forest. I died an insane amount of times because I was trying to get the red star rings. I managed get all five, but the tight platforming sections were so fucking frustrating.

I tried using walking speed, running speed, single jumps and doubles jumps to get to a really difficult to reach red star ring over bottomless pits and I just couldn't time it right. When I jumped too far I pressed the opposite direction and Sonic would turn back so far that I would miss the platform completely. The trick of course is that when you are in mid-air and let go of the walk button, Sonic comes to a complete stop (like in Sonic 4 Episode 1), but even then the screen often rotates in a circular direction which can throw you off slightly, thus I still missed the intended platform when I jumped. Cheap difficulty and poor controls for the 2d levels. Such a shame because the graphics and music is so good.  

Edit: Just started playing Sky Road Zone 1 and the game froze. I had to shutdown and reboot my Wii U.

Edited by -Bender-

Can I say that the "Tails is jealous" thing came out of nowhere? I mean, I get what they're trying to deliver, but honestly - it just felt too fast. If they showed like a scene before with a line like "I leave it to you, Eggman" out of Sonics mouth, I wouldve gotten it, but...that quick? I dunno.

Tails was saying that they don't need Eggman(which they didn't)and Sonic let him come along anyway. He wasn't really jealous and if he was he had a reason to be. Not to mention that Sonic hadn't been litsening to Tails for a large portion of the game and letting Eggman join the group to do what Tails already said he could do(which he did and more)made Tails feel like Sonic didn't trust him.

I assume you're enjoying it less and less then, Bender?

The controls screw you over in some levels more than others. It's a bit of a mixed bag to be honest. The more I play it, the more I will get used to the controls (I hope).

Don't get me wrong, the level design is very imaginative and well thought out in places.

Edited by -Bender-

Just been through hell in Zone 4 of Silent Forest. I died an insane amount of times because I was trying to get the red star rings. I managed get all five, but the tight platforming sections were so fucking frustrating.

I tried using walking speed, running speed, single jumps and doubles jumps to get to a really difficult to reach red star ring over bottomless pits and I just couldn't time it right. When I jumped too far I pressed the opposite direction and Sonic would turn back so far that I would miss the platform completely. The trick of course is that when you are in mid-air and let go of the walk button, Sonic comes to a complete stop (like in Sonic 4 Episode 1), but even then the screen often rotates in a circular direction which can throw you off slightly, thus I still missed the intended platform when I jumped. Cheap difficulty and poor controls for the 2d levels. Such a shame because the graphics and music is so good.  

Edit: Just started playing Sky Road Zone 1 and the game froze. I had to shutdown and reboot my Wii U.

Really? I didn't have too much of an issue getting any of the Silent Forest 4 Red Rings. I died a couple of times more because I was being stupid or because I miscalculated a jump rather than poor control or sloppy design. Personally I find the control to be easily the best in the series.

Boy, I'm tryin' real hard to just skim what's going on in this thread, I want to go into this game as fresh as possible when it arrives at the end of the month.

I have to say, it's heartening to read that the writing is actually good. I was worried that SEGA was going to continue along the same path cut by Colors and Generations, especially when Pontac and Graff were actually given the reins to write an original story/script (though, to be fair, Sonic Team in Japan are to blame for the stories of Colors and Generations, Pontac and Graff just piled on with their lousy dub writing). It's nice to know they can do something competent for Sonic when given the proper chance (Pontac at least proved himself on Generator Rex to me, so his Sonic stuff prior was always disappointing). I can't wait to play the game for myself to see just what they did (saw a couple cutscenes, but I'm not going to go full hog on the spoilers). Now if the game's as fun as it looks, and the story is as good as others have been saying, I think I'll be happy.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, for those that have the game: can you confirm who's voicing the Deadly Six in the English version? I'm at least pretty certain Kirk Thornton is Zavok and Kate Higgins is Zeena, but I'm not sure of the others. Never mind, seems I was way off. Behind the Voice Actors lists Travis Willingham as Zavok and Stephanie Sheh as Zeena. Didn't expect that. And it seems Thornton voices Zik. I'm also surprised to see Sam Riegel (probably best known for playing Donatello in 4Kids Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) is Zor.

Edited by Zaysho

So any footage/pics of what happens after getting all red rings in the WiiU or the chaos emeralds in the 3ds yet?

For those who have finished the Wii U version - is there a way to go back and watch the cutscenes? Like, a video player or something? Or do they just replay when you begin/clear a stage in Normal Play mode?

Or, after you've beaten the game, are they gone for good?

Love it how Sonic is not the least bit intimidated by Zazz and only serves him up some snark. And he even seems to break the fourth wall at 0:31 when he looks at the camera and moves his brows. And the Baldy McNosehair line was spot-on.

• Thumbs Up 3

Definitely an aside glance, at least. I love that this has become something of a running gag with Sonic since Unleashed. It fits his character, for some reason. I dunno, makes sense to me. XP

Also he FINALLY SAID BALDY MCNOSEHAIR TO EGGMAN'S FACE. Still amazed that they didn't give him the chance back in Colours, maybe even Generations, but hey.

Edited by ElementofChaos
  • Thumbs Up 3

Speaking of 2 Player mode, does anyone knows if the music that played on that co-op trailer is anywhere on the game? I expected it to be on the Vs. mode, but since the music playing there is the level music, I have no idea of where it could play.

I'm watching Sky Road now, and just noticed the mission list:

"Collect 750 rings. Where are you keeping them all?!" (Yes, it did include a question mark and an exclamation point).

"Run along the walls for at least 10 meters. Who needs gravity?"

I love the humor in this game, even in the mission list p:

• Thumbs Up 5

I did something like a mental facepalm when Sonic said Baldy McNosehair again... 'Really? Of all the references, THAT'S what you had to bring back?' But I had a laugh at it anyway and I love little bits of continuity that suggest other stories indeed happened. xD Sonic games need more of that.

Gosh I love SLW though. I wore a Sonic t-shirt today and was listening to Sonic music on my mp3 and just being a total nerd.

• Thumbs Up 1

IM GONNA MESS YOU UP, anyway someone on youtube said they were gonna upload some Super Sonic footage for the 3DS, rumor has it, he can fly =D

And can someone upload Silent Forest Zone 1 for the 3DS version?

Can I say that the "Tails is jealous" thing came out of nowhere? I mean, I get what they're trying to deliver, but honestly - it just felt too fast. If they showed like a scene before with a line like "I leave it to you, Eggman" out of Sonics mouth, I wouldve gotten it, but...that quick? I dunno.

I don't think it came out of nowhere. There was the scene when Tails tried to fix Cubot, but instead almost got attacked by it. I'm not gonna dig for the scene again right now, but I remember Eggman saying something to the extent of "that wasn't a good idea" and Tails agreed. Then Sonic essentially scolded Tails for his own safety, leaving the fox feeling guilty and inadequate.

Though it's not an overt "I'll leave it to Eggman," it's a subtle way of perfectly setting up what happens later. Having been admonished by both Eggman and Sonic, I can see why Tails would feel somewhat inferior, leading to his somewhat childish jealousy (and I say childish in a good way, because he IS a child), and a sense that Sonic doesn't trust him... especially considering Sonic, too, admonished him that previous scene. It was justified jealousy; the kid was hurt.

I think it was a great way of showing some flaws of both Sonic and Tails. Tails is a kid and still needs the approval and trust of his best friend, and doesn't like Eggman getting some of the attention and credit that he usually gets. Meanwhile Sonic doubted his little bro a bit. It's tension we haven't really seen between them before, and very believable considering their close friendship, and I think it was set up as well as it needed to be. smile.png

Edit: The suddenness caught me off guard at first too, admittedly - but more for the reason that I expected TAILS to be the peacekeeper, not Sonic. I thought it'd be Sonic and Eggman at each other's throats more than anything. But then once the cutscene progressed and we found out Tails felt that Sonic didn't trust him, it made so much more sense and really gave me some faith in the writers' decisions regarding that conflict.

Edited by DC111
  • Thumbs Up 4

Here's another 7 minutes of gameplay through WHZ with Super Sonic.

Interested to see what 3DS equivalent is now. Who is the user that said they'll upload?

Regarding Super Sonic - I see you can collect a Wisp while in super form... does this mean you can use Wisps as Super Sonic now?

Also, be a good chap and make a Red Ring guide for us all ;) haha

The voices of the deadly Six are

Zazz: Liam O brien

Zomom Patrick Seitz

Zik Shadow's generations VA

Zeena Stephanie Sheh

Zor: Sam Riegel

Zavok: Knuckle's generations VA

• Thumbs Up 2

"I'm supposed to be the fastest. But I was too slow to save my buddy."

This line. 

This freaking line.

The delivery is wonderful. Just from the tone of his voice can you tell that Sonic actually does feel horrible for not being able to save Tails in time. Roger, you've done well giving Sonic some wonderful emotional rane in this game. And the line itself? How he is expressing actual guilt and culpability? Brilliant. Sonic actually admiting his flaws has been something his character has been sorely lacking until now. 

Lost World, your writing continues to impress me.

Keep it up.

• Thumbs Up 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndWmdEW5oh0

Dayum how did he get the cutscenes to be so high quality for the 3DS version =O

http://www.youtube.com/user/N3DSItalia?feature=watch

This person is gonna upload some Super Sonic footage for the 3DS version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NADzf1NzFUk&feature=c4-overview&list=UU0fHIll6LQ29C6W0Kfehn3g

Zavok's boss fight for the 3DS version looks epic compared to its console counterpart, just wish this person had higher quality footage >.>

Favourite Line per deadly six:

Zazz: 'What you gonna do if your world dies oh wait you're going to die too ha ha'

Zavok: 'Well that was easy I almost felt guilty'

Zor:

Zik: 'If this is school then class is in session'

Zeena 'Gotta go call me'

Zomom 'Who you calling a fatty'

Edited by Time Eater