Awoo.

Spoiler Topic [Warning - Untagged Discussion]

Carbo

It was a disappointment either way, but the point is the scene of Robo-Tails reveal holds no conflict when that potential conflict has been resolved in advance.

It'd be like them showing us Wave planting the bomb on Sonic's Extreme Gear in Sonic Riders in the Hero Storyline, or showing Sonic about to use Chaos Control in the capsule of Sonic Adventure 2 before it exploded.

(Note: They did in fact do that in SA2 and it made the scene less dramatic).

Dramatic irony is a thing.

Dramatic irony is a thing.

Indeed but if you're not gonna do something properly why do it at all.  If they had maybe somehow extended it so that there was a reason for Tails to stay in character to achieve something, tricking the Deadly Six at the expense of tricking Sonic too, I could get behind that.

But like far too many promising bits in Lost World, it's starts and finishes in the same cut-scene, usually in the space of a half minute for that matter.

Edited by JezMM

this is a planet where places like Green Hill co-exist with places like Rooftop Run

That was Green Hill that Amy and Knuckles were at. 

That was Green Hill that Amy and Knuckles were at. 

I remembered Green Hill having more... hills.

Also cliffs loops and an ocean view.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

I remembered Green Hill having more... hills.

And more Tropical Motifs, aye. But take it up with that comic book prologue which is supposed to be official to the game (and still explains barely anything about the plot...but did foreshadow Amy and Knuckles having nothing to do!)

And more Tropical Motifs, aye. But take it up with that comic book prologue which is supposed to be official to the game (and still explains barely anything about the plot...but did foreshadow Amy and Knuckles having nothing to do!)

Oh I need to check that out.  After I posted I was like "...wait when did it say it was Green Hill!?"

Oh I need to check that out.  After I posted I was like "...wait when did it say it was Green Hill!?"

It's out on the 26th so there's still a few days before it can officially checked out.

Considering how my money's looking these days, and considering the version I was gonna get and my only option (3DS version) is apparently missing some cutscenes that I'd probably never get to see otherwise as I don't know when I'll even begin to start saving for a Wii U, I figured I'd say "screw it" and watched all the cutscenes last night.

Positive Thoughts:

Best writing and characterization this series has ever had.

Great attention to subtle stuff like facial expressions.

Sarcastic Tails.

Good and professional voice acting from everyone, even Zomom sounded great and I thought he'd just be annoying. (Though Sonic himself and Amy were a little grating and a little difficult to take seriously at times during the srs moments, but they were still good.)

Sassy Tails.

The jokes and delivery were actually pretty great. "-maybe."

Also Tails. can we give this dude his own game or something he deserves so much more and he is best character i don't think you understand gushgushgush *ahem*

Main Complaints

No big "Zeti are defeated cutscene." Kinda makes things feel disjointed and choppy.

The sense of danger, scope, and urgency still feel like they're middling on a 6/7 when they should be up at 11 near those building moments, which I feel Unleashed still has over LW in the story department despite LW trumping it as far as characterization and writing go. I mean yeah, Sonic's no longer stretching and doing pushups after seeing Wisps being sucked dry anymore, and he's actually showing that he's pretty bummed and stuff after the life's been drained from his friends, but I still don't feel like the sense of urgency was turned up enough. We're led to believe that Sonic's friends are pretty much d.e.a.d. Eggman is dead. His one friend left has been operated on, potentially permanently augmented with machinery and is told to take Sonic out and it's either lie down and die, or turn your only friend left into pulp. So much was put on the table here, and I think they could've expanded on all this a bit more; maybe even give us an extended final act to the story; Give us a peak at how enraged or maybe even broken, Sonic would be in this whole situation that's been presented, maybe a bit more than a "I'm getting tired of you guys." and more of a "What did you do?!" or a "You're all gonna pay." Not really asking for grimdark, but just a bit more of a believable character break-down if it was all expanded. Like, I dunno, all this stuff just happened. How does he cope with it? Where does he go from here? Could've been really great from a "what if" angle, and I feel like they missed their shot to explore this.

No big "character development" moment for Sonic near the end. It's great that everything worked out in the end, but that was mainly because of Tails getting himself out of something that Sonic caused to begin with. (Which was a great moment by itself I'll add btw.) All through the story I was expecting what everyone else probably was during the hype period, that along the way Sonic would learn to slow down and think; being less impulsive, more thoughtful, and a bit more strategic by the end of the plot. During the scene at the base where he showed remorse because of how he screwed up, I was expecting that to be the start of a change for the rest of the story. Instead, he does something similar to what he did in the desert again in the forest cutscene and screws Tails over again as a result. Again. Now, it's not even as bad as I'm making it, but I was kinda hoping for Sonic to have some kind of scene near the end where he was maybe thinking of his next moves carefully, learning from the earlier mistakes and having some kind of cool character development moment. Also ties into the paragraph above this one. Had the last parts been extended, maybe he could've had to travel further to reach the Zeti and Robo-Tails, by himself. Maybe being by his lonesome for a bit, without the strategist sidekick at his side could've been the thing that would've made him start considering his next moves himself, and that could've been the turning point type scenario.

Even saying what I did in the above two paragraphs though, extending the last parts probably would've meant more levels to be tacked on or something, so I guess they worked with what they had to work with level-wise. I keep forgetting that it's gameplay-first, story-later, but eh, I guess I tend to really get into this sorta thing when talking about it. 

No real explanation or background behind the Lost Hex beyond a name drop in the opening cutscene, and not much on where the Zeti even came from or how they even came into contact with Eggman to be conquered and controlled by him.

Some scenes could've been longer or expanded, if only because I wanted more Sonic/Eggman stuff, seeing as we're unlikely to get this sorta thing again plotwise. Should've made alot more material so we could savor it imo, though like I said before, I guess that probably would've felt like padding unless there were more levels to even things out. (Or if they finally went back to the characters chatting to each other within the gameplay, but I know alot of people hated that.)

moar cg scenes. I just wanted a few more near the end, but that's a minor complaint.

But yeah, like I said with Colors and Generations, these guys continue to show that they have potential, now more than ever now that they get to write the plots, and I hope that with the next game they go even more wild and really show what they've got if Sega lets them do it again.

Other than the stuff mentioned I liked the story for what it was. Could've been better but it was entertaining atleast.

Edited by Infernal Ferno
  • Thumbs Up 5

I'm late I know but its something I noticed.

Zavok shares a voice actor with a certain puppeteer.

reliusastral_zpsf823fb38.png

zavokismad_zpsff2d47fa.png

So that's where Zavok gets it from!

Edited by Cthulhu
  • Thumbs Up 4

Liam O Brien: Zazz

Patrick Seitz: Zomom

Kirk Thornton: Master Zik

Stephanie Sheh: Zeena

Sam Riegel: Zor

Travis Willingham: Zavok

• Thumbs Up 4

So just for same of confirmation, is it only TC and SR that have ? Zones? Seems a little odd and I'm balanced.

Anyway, I finally unlocked Super Sonic this morning. LM2 and 3 were holding me back. 2 because it's a cheap piece of crap, 3 because I kept killing myself against Not-Bowser even though I could actually grab the Red Rings fine.

Super Sonic is really fun in this game. And holy he does he ever highlight how slow the game is in standard form. His boost is more like what I was expecting from a fully charged spin dash. I love that we finally have 3D Super Sonic and he's not nerfed. He really suffers from Sonic 2/3 syndrome though, and hardly looks like anything more than a yellow Sonic because of the way that he's just an animation swap instead of a model swap. Still, he's a great bonus for finishing the game. Kinda strange that you can't use him in any auto run sections though.

So just for same of confirmation, is it only TC and SR that have ? Zones? Seems a little odd and I'm balanced.

Seems like it, yeah. Definitely feels a bit odd but I can't think of any other way to unlock other ones, aside from completing Time Attacks or Omochao missions, but I doubt those are necessary in any way.

Seems like it, yeah. Definitely feels a bit odd but I can't think of any other way to unlock other ones, aside from completing Time Attacks or Omochao missions, but I doubt those are necessary in any way.

Righto. I can't remember how I unlocked SR?. With TR, I just completed Act 4 with all the Red Rings, but that was by fluke on my first go so it can't be that. Bit of a shame if we get nothing else really.

http://youtu.be/BX1pjTVOI-s

Weird Glitch

Can I just say that Sonic's jump animation and how it swirls from normal spins to 'ball mode' and back is incredibly nice, if even hypnotic to look at? Such an amazingly done animation, geez...

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 4

This is true actually and it's yet another example of how pivotal character moments barely escape from the cut-scenes they're presented in.

Earlier, Tails nearly got himself killed by tampering with Eggman's devices.  Yet at the end he does so with smarmy levels of confidence and Sonic praises him for it.

• Thumbs Up 4

One thing that really bugs me is that by reprogramming Eggman's absorber device to put the energy back into the world, Tails is implied to be SMARTER than Eggman. I'm sorry, but that's just unacceptable to me. Eggman isn't the Ice King. He's a formidable opponent who should be more intelligent than his foes. Take away the one thing he has over Sonic and Tails, and you're left with an outmatched and therefore boring villain.

Tails and Eggman are stated to be rivals in the intelligence area, the only difference being how effective they are at using said intelligence.

One thing that really bugs me is that by reprogramming Eggman's absorber device to put the energy back into the world, Tails is implied to be SMARTER than Eggman. I'm sorry, but that's just unacceptable to me. Eggman isn't the Ice King. He's a formidable opponent who should be more intelligent than his foes. Take away the one thing he has over Sonic and Tails, and you're left with an outmatched and therefore boring villain.

Eggman isn't dangerous just because he's smart, he's dangerous because he uses his brains to build armies of robots and unleash powerful monsters on the world. Tails being a bit smarter doesn't make Eggman ineffective, because Tails can't fight an army on his own.

Also, Tails was acting like a jerk when Sonic was following the logical route of trusting Eggman's knowledge of his own creations. Then the game acts like Sonic was the one at fault. No way! I'm not saying this had to be a "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" scenario, but for crying out loud, follow the advice of the inventor, not their jealous rival.

The story's strength is in the fact that neither Sonic nor Tails is entirely unreasonable. Yes, Eggman would know his machines better than anyone else and be able to shut them down. But on the other hand, it's Eggman. The bad guy. It's gotta sting to be replaced at what you're best at by a guy who is a total jerkface. And Tails was entirely right; Eggman was planning to screw them, and he wasn't necessary to shut down the machine.

• Thumbs Up 9