Awoo.

Kill La Kill

Remy

OK so a more descriptive reasoning why this show isn't doing anything for me.  There's a major one, but I'm going to knock out some minor ones first: The 3D elements don't blend well at all with the 2D elements.  When despot girl runs up the side of the building is probably the worst example.  She's just kind of wagging her legs a bit and flying up the side.  There are also some really jarring bits that I can only think of as mistakes.  When despot girl is lunging at protagonist girl right after the aforementioned building scaling, they emphasize her ass cheeks in such a way that kind of makes them look like part of an exoskeleton.  Then at the end when she's facing down a staircase she does a kind of captain morgan stance and I have no idea what her front leg is supposed to be propped up on.  I can only imagine she's just holding it in the air.  I guess maybe the staircase is 3D and no one talked to anyone so the poses didn't match the shot.  

And mow my major problem, is character.  We're 3 episodes in and what have we learned about these people?  Our protagonist's parents are dead though she only brings up her father for some reason, she has really hot blood, and she isn't an exhibitionist.  What has she learned as a character?  That her father is some kind of creeper (seriously, the hell?), and that she needs to be an exibitionist to gain power?  That you need to welcome your clothes?  

By the way, Despot Girl's outfit disproves my theory as to why they made protagonist girl's uniform look like that, so much for that conflict.  

I can't help but compare this anime to Conan the Barbarian because they share so much in common.  At the point we would be at in Conan (The first direct contact between Conan and Doom since Doom killed his parents), Conan would have just been captured by Thulsa Doom aver trying to infiltrate his mountain alone, at this point we knew the ideals that Conan father taught him, how he was pressed into slavery, how he had been trained to fight while simultaneously been treated as a piece of property, seen the best scene in cinematic history, and we had seen him relearn freedom and the power it could offer.  We learn Thulsa Doom's idea of power and know it conflicts with Conan's own.  What I'm getting at is that in fiction a fight is more than just swinging a sword at someone, just as forging a sword in the movie's opening credits sequence is about more than hammering on metal.  

Also i think Conan has the better Mako.  

So yeah, I saw Episode 3. It was alright, I guess; definitely a step up from the previous 2 episodes, for sure. Not fond of the use of 3D CGI in the show, but whatever; I can tolerate it. Am I the only one that can't stand Mako? She's really annoying. Don't care for her family, either.

Edited by Dark Tomoki

To be honest I'm seeing through the fanservice now, this episode ramped it up to past 10 and got pretty intense.

I KNEW Ryuko rejecting Senketsu was the reason she was so underpowered, so I'm glad they've knocked that on the head, but seriously how will 2 & 3 stars even come close to scathing her in the slightest now she's so powerful? Also her scissor blade sword was pretty dang cool, it seems Senketsu was created for the sole reason of destroying other Goku uniforms and Kaisou.

But yeah colour me officially excited for this series now it's starting to take itself seriously, the scale of battles Trigger put on this is amazing and I still can't help but laugh at all the students who get blown away each episode from the after shocks and stuff.

Also judging by the teaser at the end, Ryuko looks like she'll be battling Irma!!?!? PLEASE!!

Am I the only one that can't stand Mako? She's really annoying. Don't care for her family, either.

I don't know, it was Mako who made Ryuko understand that she shouldn't be ashamed of her body so she can ultimately wear Senketsu to his fullest power, it also stopped Satsuki from killing Ryuko, causing a much needed distraction, she is a little unorthodox but she did save Ryuko's hide in that part, I still can't get over how bat shit insane she is, the whole "your breasts are much bigger than hers" had me cracking up the way she mimicked it haha.

Edited by Super SpOoOokio
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mako is so unorthodox that she drifts past annoying to funny. She's like Kamina except replace the hot blood with even more batshit insanity.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really loved Mako this episode. Both her inspiring speech and a little part ealier where Ryuko catches her mid leap, twirls her then sets her down were suuuuper funny. 

Also this part here:

qc3L4Rx.gif

Look how happy she is! She almost fainted! Nawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

Less good I think was Satsuki skating up a building, but I think the fact the rest of the fight actually looked great kind of makes up for that?? There was a lot of CG in the fight scenes and most of it was used really dang well and smart. The building walk and perhaps at the start their initial stand off had a pretty weird, awful looking moment, but the rest of the action was dynamic and exciting. I'm still watching this pretty eagerly every week. The constant insanity makes it fun! 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a bad feeling something awful is going to happen to Mako.

But yeah the reoccurring gag of Ryuko taking her and setting her down on the ground all stiff as a board is hilarious.

I have a bad feeling something awful is going to happen to Mako.

But yeah the reoccurring gag of Ryuko taking her and setting her down on the ground all stiff as a board is hilarious.

Don't say that... I love Mako. And Ryuuko is sexy.... what?

I do too, or Mako ends up being some incredibly important plot point in the series that completely leaves us all gape-jawed.

Either way, I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt kinda awkward with Satsuki gliding up the building, then in the next running, a mistake perhaps?

and I TOLD YOU MEOW, Ryuko's got some booster shit going on with those vents B-)

Haha I mentioned those too, you and I both were talking about the boosters. There is actually a previous trailer that had that booster clip in it and I always liked that bit so I was glad to see it hit in ep 3.

You know, I can't help but think that Uzu Sanageyama is gonna have some major significance in future episodes, considering he's the one fellow in the Four Elites who consistently gets screentime across all three episodes, and has twice attempted to challenge Ryuko before Satsuki interrupts him. Possible love secondary rival and love interest? Who knows.

Anyhow... Jeez, this anime is completely fucking bonkers. And I love it.

I dunno, I'm just not feeling this one so far; I loved Gurren Lagann, but I just don't find Kill La Kill's characters all that interesting so far. I feel like this show has Bipolar disorder, as it keeps constantly switching between batshit crazy humor and more serious, dramatic stuff; it's like it's trying to be Gurren Lagann and Panty and Stocking at the same time, and it just comes off as jarring to me. Hoping it'll get better.

Edited by Dark Tomoki
  • Thumbs Up 1

You know, I can't help but think that Uzu Sanageyama is gonna have some major significance in future episodes, considering he's the one fellow in the Four Elites who consistently gets screentime across all three episodes, and has twice attempted to challenge Ryuko before Satsuki interrupts him. Possible love secondary rival and love interest? Who knows.

Anyhow... Jeez, this anime is completely fucking bonkers. And I love it.

I said that a while ago and nobody responded.

Mako is my favourite character so far. Hope they don't pull a Kamina on her...even though it would be a nice twist, I should say.

It's funny how people throw their hands up in disgust at shipping Sonic and Elise yet people ship Shadow and Maria all the time.

I DON'T GET IT. WHY IS SHIPPING ADOPTIVE BROTHER AND SISTER BETTER.

tumblr_mv32eiqvbM1s5ttffo8_1280.png

Oh crossover fan art, you card.

They've been calling Ryuko, Shadow since Day 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsNgIaQc8NM

Makes me laugh all the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's funny how people throw their hands up in disgust at shipping Sonic and Elise yet people ship Shadow and Maria all the time.

I DON'T GET IT. WHY IS SHIPPING ADOPTIVE BROTHER AND SISTER BETTER.

>Shipping

>Logic

It is impossible to ever understand the mindset of shippers. They are one of the many oddities on the internet.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Kill la Kill?"
SOLD.

Edit from the Future™: By that, I mean the name alone sounds quirky & fun and not really indicative of what's going on, a la "FLCL" or "Jet Set Radio". 

I laughed a ton at the episode today, but it looks like we're gonna go back into the more serious mode again starting next week. Next episode looks really intense and it looks like we'll finally get to see the black/red mohawk dude from the OP in action as well. So I'm mega pumped for that. 

I also fully expect to see that Trap Developer lady appear in future episodes as a big villain. She seems a little too nuts to just let an expulsion go like that.

I laughed a ton at the episode today, but it looks like we're gonna go back into the more serious mode again starting next week. Next episode looks really intense and it looks like we'll finally get to see the black/red mohawk dude from the OP in action as well. So I'm mega pumped for that. 

I also fully expect to see that Trap Developer lady appear in future episodes as a big villain. She seems a little too nuts to just let an expulsion go like that.

I want her to come back too, she was entertaining.

I just want to strip Ryuko again... lusting, so much lust

This episode got some cheap laughs out of me, but I'm pretty sure this was just a filler episode. I can't deny I lost my shit over Santetsku getting cleaned and ironed, Mako getting a gatling gun, and the Ryuko panties gag a few times. Looks like the actual story picks back up again next week.

I had fun with this episode. Its meant to be a breather episode after the climatic episode 3 which is fine cause this episode if filled with laughs.

Mako gets a lot of badass points for standing up to Gamagori and having him acknowledging her.

This episode was fucking insane and batshit crazy over the top stupid.

I loved it, just simple things like, driving the scooter thing on the buildings as if it's even possible, then Mako's brother does the same with a bike, just had me in creases, also the randomly placed holy music had me in stitches.

After this episode my suspicions are pretty much grounded...I totally have a thing for Ryuko hnnngh...