Awoo.

Kill La Kill

Remy

Man, I love Gurren Lagann, its actually the show that got me back into Anime. So I definitely wanna give Kill La Kill a shot, but I'm afraid I'm just gonna have to wait for the dub.

I tried watching it subbed last night, and I was reminded why I don't really like subs. Most of the time I found myself just reading the bottom of the screen and never actually seeing what was happening. From what little I saw it does seem pretty awesome though.

Maybe I'll try it again but I'm definitely a dub person.

Edited by Kamina

So I've been doing some speculating on the series whilst avoiding the shit storm and annoying cunts on tumblr, god I really hate that place sometimes...

But Senketsu (Ryoku's goku outfit) seems to be either incomplete or even bad shape, he's missing an eye and most, if not all of his body is gone, after Ryuko defeats the 2 Star in the first episode, she gains what looks to be a thread from the destroyed Goku uniform and it is absorbed into Senketsu, needless to say I think the outfit is going to upgrade with the more Goku uniforms she defeats with her half scissor, but that's not all.

Student council president Satsuki, in the little we've seen of her doesn't possess a Star Goku uniform, but has a similar "complete" out like Senketsu, with 2 eyes. Needless to say I reckon in the closing episodes of this anime, I think Satsuki and Ryuko are going to hit it off one on one with their own over powered Goku outfits, and I think that Satsuki's outfit is also a living embodiment just like Senketsu, creating a natural rival for him too.

I still have a feeling that this is going to be a fanservice anime at the core, it's not just Ryuko's outfit that screams fanservice, but a ton of other overlooked things in the first episode, but I feel it's too early to call foul until I've seen a few more episodes at least.

Phos, it was mentioned already, but basically Imaishi comes from a generation that generally strove for the most interesting dynamism possible with the lowest framerate possible. Something that happened out of need in the animation studios of the 70's and 80's and became a stylistic choice.

Not saying you have to like it, just giving some context.

I can definitely see why someone wouldn't like the low framerate, by IMO the crazy good use of perspective and dynamic key frame poses/shots more than make up for any lacking frames.

One thing that did suck, I'll admit was the visualization of the punch flurry which kinda looked like ricocheting projectiles, but it wasn't exactly episode spoilingly bad.

...that was fucking awesome. Like I said, I don't watch anime much at all, but that was probably one of the best I've watched. 

EDIT: Just finished watching the second episode - holy fuck the expressions in this thing. <3 I am loving this.

Edited by Tracker

Episode 2 was incredibly hilarious. I was laughing a -lot- throughout it. I mean I expected this series to be somewhat comedic given the team, but I didn't expect it to be this funny.

I couldn't stop laughing at the teacher (Aikurou) when he all of a sudden went into prettyboy mode and totally just started layin' on the super sparkly beautiful man fanservice. I also couldn't stop laughing at Mako this episode too and her family is just as fucked up as she is I really expected to hate her but when they were all eating that really disgusting dinner and her mother goes on about making sure the random assorted shitpiles they call food wasn't made of poisonous materials I just had to laugh. Like I love all these characters by this second episode, I don't even hate a single one of them. Also I still think Ryuko looks like a total badass in her uniform and I was wondering when the red glove was gonna show up too. Its cool that it actually ties into transforming, not to mention that I had misunderstood from the first episode whose blood Senketsu had meant when he wanted more. I was under the impression at first he wanted to take the blood of her enemies but it was cool that the entire thing is powered by Ryuko's blood and she can only go at it for a limited time before the possibility of something terrible happening to her becomes real. Either way Senketsu is real cool too.

So yeah. Really dug this episode a lot.

I saw episode 2, and honestly the teacher was so fucking sexy, no homo. But episode 2 didn't disappoint, I'm glad I gave this show a chance.

So I've been doing some speculating on the series whilst avoiding the shit storm and annoying cunts on tumblr, god I really hate that place sometimes...

But Senketsu (Ryoku's goku outfit) seems to be either incomplete or even bad shape, he's missing an eye and most, if not all of his body is gone, after Ryuko defeats the 2 Star in the first episode, she gains what looks to be a thread from the destroyed Goku uniform and it is absorbed into Senketsu, needless to say I think the outfit is going to upgrade with the more Goku uniforms she defeats with her half scissor, but that's not all.

Student council president Satsuki, in the little we've seen of her doesn't possess a Star Goku uniform, but has a similar "complete" out like Senketsu, with 2 eyes. Needless to say I reckon in the closing episodes of this anime, I think Satsuki and Ryuko are going to hit it off one on one with their own over powered Goku outfits, and I think that Satsuki's outfit is also a living embodiment just like Senketsu, creating a natural rival for him too.

I still have a feeling that this is going to be a fanservice anime at the core, it's not just Ryuko's outfit that screams fanservice, but a ton of other overlooked things in the first episode, but I feel it's too early to call foul until I've seen a few more episodes at least.

Its worst on 4Chan trust me.

But anyways I do speculate that Senketsu lost his other eye sometime in the past and its probably related to Satsuki's kamui in this regard. And so far while the fanservice is there, its played for mostly laughs for the most part. Episode 2 pretty much established this.

Speaking of which episode 2 was great.

Incase, I'll just leave my thoughts in spoilers.

So despite Senketsu being more powerful than any of the Goku Uniforms they managed to limit his power somehow and not make it gamebreaking. I mean Ryuko did struggle in this episode and she had a limit to what she can do. Not only that but Satsuki manages to surpass her.

Either way this episode had plenty of laughs. I did like the tennis chick for some reason. I can't put my finger on it though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok let me get one thing straight and off my chest before I continue, because shit I like this anime but...

It IS a fanservice anime, it WILL always be a fanservice anime and you can't deny it or convince otherwise from the leap of fanservice/ecchi from episode 1 to episode 2 was staggering, I can accept it for what it is, but don't even TRY and argue the fact that this ISN'T that sort of anime.

That's my end on the matter now.

Right.

Watched episode 2, and I really enjoyed it, I like how they're starting to explain how Senketsu works for Ryuko and that even though she is powerful as fuck, she is still heavily undermined by Satsuki so I'm hoping that higher ups like 3 star goku outfit wearers will give her some challenge compared to 1/2 star opponents.

I don't really like Mako much at all, she's cute and spontaneous but I think Trigger may have made her TOO OTT, I'm guessing it's intentional though since the rest of her family are crazy fucks too, and Guts reminds me so much of Chuck it's not even funny. But... I think Mako is like that so there is a drastic difference between her and Ryuko's serious nature, I think it's supposed to be platonic and Mako rebounds off Ryuko to lighten her up, she's also the crazy friend trope to a T.

The teacher...Uhh.. Don't know what to say on that scene, although I commend Trigger for the detail they paid attention to for Ryuko's expression and body language when wrapped in the towel, but um.. what the fuck was that all about? I know it's stupid and over the top but I still question why he put the pretty boy act on, I was hoping he was going to be like Jigen from Lupin the Third, you know the cool and reserved laid back character, but it's like he's got 2 completely different personalities.

It was good, and I also like how Ryuko gets the shit kicked out of her, and she's not the invincible hero trope, she does get bloodied up, and the fact Senketsu limits the amount of time she can use the suit for is pretty clever.

Still not surprised at the story, Satsuki is a power mad dictator that wants to purge the weak and make her city a stronghold for domination over other parts of Japan? 

Overall I'm really getting into this, but the lack of Ira in this episode was a huge disappointment for me, he's clearly the best character haha.

Edited by Super SpOoOokio

The teacher...Uhh.. Don't know what to say on that scene, although I commend Trigger for the detail they paid attention to for Ryuko's expression and body language when wrapped in the towel, but um.. what the fuck was that all about? I know it's stupid and over the top but I still question why he put the pretty boy act on, I was hoping he was going to be like Jigen from Lupin the Third, you know the cool and reserved laid back character, but it's like he's got 2 completely different personalities.

Like you said- It's a fanservice show. Equal opportunity fanservice! Sexy Sensei!

• Thumbs Up 1

I enjoyed the episode, but I have this concern that the show will end up being really formulaic.  Part of why I loved Gurren Lagann was that the scale of the conflict escalated with unprecedented fury, taking the battles from villages to armies to cities to galaxies in only 26 episodes.  This, on the other hand, looks to be very monster-of-the-week, or rather extra-curricular-activity-of-the-week.  Considering this show is extremely fast paced and clearly trying to get the exposition out of the way as fast as possible, I don't see why they wouldn't go all out with the plot, but I just hope that starts happening sooner than later.

Also, did anyone else notice those squirrels having sex? :P

Knowing my thoughts on Gurren Lagann, I really wasn't expecting to enjoy this anime.

...So why am I?! D: 

Yeah, the fan service can be pretty damn silly at times, but one of the thing's that's really catching my interest is the apocalyptic dystopian high-school school setting, and so far, I really like the characters that we've been introduced to so far, be it either from design or personality.

Also, I know the "Monster/Villain of the week" can get tired... heck, for me, depending on how it's handled it can either be really great or really crappy. With the two characters we've seen so far, I'm leaning more towards the former... I loved the two characters our hero faced off against, and I'm really looking forward to seeing more episodes and more characters.

And I've heard some people say they didn't like the art style... Well, I love it... One of the things I loves the most about Imashi's works is his simple yet very edgy and manga/comic book-like style.

Just as long as I don't constantly run into the bad side of the fans like I did with Gurren Lagann, I think I may end up liking this show.

Edited by Dead Robrainiac: Lost Ep.

From Sushiobunny on tumblr, who posts a lot of stuff about Kill la Kill etc:

As you could probably tell from the preview, episode 3 of Kill la Kill is a super-important, super-animated super-episode. It got screened in Japan a few hours ago in UfotableCinema and thankfully CEO Otsuka asked people people were asked to please don’t spoil it. They posted their impressions (without spoiling, of course) and they’re basically “it’s a final episode at the start of a new show, amazing”, “greatest final battle”, “Yoshinari got top KA credit” and “the show got compeltely turned in its head, I don’t know what to expect any more!” and so; it’s also the first properly serious episode of the show. But the events in the episode are HUGE so if you don’t want to get spoiled you should probably avoid Tumblr this Thursday.

I cannot believe we are already hitting 'that point' of the series. I am super stoked.

I mean then again in episode 2 I didn't expect for Ryuko and Satsuki to kinda get into it a little anyway.

. This is cool though so my hype meters are through the roof right now, even though they have been through the roof each episode ANYWAY. Also Yoshinari is a great animator too so I've got a lot of good vibes for ep 3.

Edited by Meow
  • Thumbs Up 3

... holy shit have we all been this angry at fanservice at everything else? Even things like Super Sonico? Because for once there's a show that yes, undeniably has fanservice, but the fanservice isn't the point- Imaishi always adds fanservice, but the point is the high-octane action.

Not being "the point" doesn't really make it not uncomfortable.

I mean, if fanservice was the point I could simply write the series off as trash for creepy nerds, but as it is there's these "I'm glad no one's watching over my shoulder", "I would recommend this, but..." moments in something I'm actually interested in.

• Thumbs Up 6

As part of the female audience, I gotta say that I liked the fanservice because I KNOW it's supposed to be OTT so I'm not complaining. It's openly mocking the fanservice you'd get in anime by having the males act like morons over it as if to say "yeah, this is what you look like". It's doing it the typical Trigger way.

Whether it can continue with that formula, hell I dunno. They can't use the same joke all the time; then again, they're Trigger and if we know their way of story writing, they'll have something up their sleeve.

In account of the plot...is it just me or does Uzu Sanageyama seem like the kind of guy who'd do a heel face turn if Satsuki loses it? The guy's a total honour/rule whore and quite a coward when she's around when compared to how Ira Gamagori acts who seems like the type of guy who'd fight to the end. No idea how the computer geek would do, though, since he's only had a few seconds of screen time so far, even the squeaky girl who's only had a few seconds 

At least these are my thoughts on the student council body, dunno what you guys think about them.

Not being "the point" doesn't really make it not uncomfortable.

I mean, if fanservice was the point I could simply write the series off as trash for creepy nerds, but as it is there's these "I'm glad no one's watching over my shoulder", "I would recommend this, but..." moments in something I'm actually interested in.

I can agree with that. I can argue that a series is a sum of parts and the fanservice part of Kill la Kill is natural on the works of Imaishi and doesn't diminish everything else, that it's just that- fanservice- instead of actual plot disguised as fanservice (or fanservice pretending to be plot?) as many other shows are nowadays where the point is just boobs.

But more than that, I'm just asking why are we treating something that's, if freely lamentable, a given looking at the history of everyone involved, and acting like it's a big elephant in the room ugly thing in the face of someone that needs to have twenty posts about "GUYS I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS FANSERVICE".

Edited by Albator
  • Thumbs Up 2

I kinda get the impression from the specific kind of fanservice exhibited by the transforming uniform that they might have designed it around being as contrary to any kind of dress code as they could, exposing anything and everything that could be considered a midriff and a skirt so short it barely hides the bikini bottoms.  Whether I'm giving them too much credit or not remains to be seen.  

I kinda get the impression from the specific kind of fanservice exhibited by the transforming uniform that they might have designed it around being as contrary to any kind of dress code as they could, exposing anything and everything that could be considered a midriff and a skirt so short it barely hides the bikini bottoms.  Whether I'm giving them too much credit or not remains to be seen.  

I think you're giving them too much credit, I don't think they put much thought into it other than "lets make the outfit skimpy and sexy".

• Thumbs Up 1

I cannot believe we are already hitting 'that point' of the series. I am super stoked.

I mean then again in episode 2 I didn't expect for Ryuko and Satsuki to kinda get into it a little anyway.

. This is cool though so my hype meters are through the roof right now, even though they have been through the roof each episode ANYWAY. Also Yoshinari is a great animator too so I've got a lot of good vibes for ep 3.

Oh god it's TTGL episode 8 all over again ;_;

Oh god it's TTGL episode 8 all over again ;_;

• Thumbs Up 1

At least the "Shit gets real" episode happens much earlier this time and they spend less time fucking about...........