Awoo.

Kill La Kill

Remy

Well....that was an ending. .......Seriously, did they really have to off Senketsu in such a cliche manner? Did they really have to run through the "give the villain a second chance but they give it the middle-finger with suicide" shtick?

And my god, does Ragyo pull these back-up plans out of her ass!

Eh, sufficient ending, I guess. Action and scenes for the most part had me pumped and racing, but the payoff just felt badly rushed among other things.

Oh and for the record, Ragyo is a piss poor sore loser.

She absorbed Ragyo's ability to control Life Fibers, so yea. She can do that.

Oh that's what that was???? The episode didnt really translate that all to well.

I don't know what subs you watched, but from this end

1- Ragyo repeatedly says her ability lets her control life fibers

2- Ryuko says she's absorbing the ability explicitly

3- Ryuko controls life fibers

Couldn't be more explicit.

Ending was good, albeit yes underwhelming... I didn't get to see Nui and Ragyo get their smug grins wiped off after all, which is a tad disappointing, and Senketsu's death should have carried more emotional weight but eh. The finale really could have benefitted with another 10 minutes, or another episode.

I'm gonna miss this show though. It was a hell of a lot of fun.

• Thumbs Up 6

The resolution and angle they were going for was fine. The execution isn't.

The only way one of these "all-action, no more words" approaches work is if everything preceding it decides to deal with those necessary "goodbyes" first. If you'd be to use a cinematic example of that, that's one of the reasons the last Harry Potter movie was split into two - so that all the goodbyes and developments are handled in the first one, so that when the action inevitably comes to a close in the finale, there's not much to be said or anything that needs to be said. If Kill La Kill hadn't wasted it's first half of it's running to an endless string of gag humor and low budget action scenes, and didn't confine everything to running within the school grounds recycling status quos, then maybe this finale would have been better. But instead it really just becomes another par-for-the-course episode, with the exception that the hero gained the powers of world-saving motivational speeches, and some weird new contrived plot details and even twists feel like they don't matter as much as they should. Senketsu's death kind of just happens.

The worst part about this episode is how robbed we were of an actual standoff between the protagonists and Nui. For a majority of the series, despite being the Dragon for the Big Bad, we got to experience her more and she became far more ingrained as an antagonist than Ragyou. For the protagonist, the latter was a case of responsibility for the world, but the former was a personal one. Ragyou's defeat is an in-universe expectation of the characters surrounding it, and Nui's defeat is the audience's expectation for the protagonist's personal means. But the latter just didn't really happen. She doesn't even get an exit that I think fans of her would be happy about - she just decides to be Ragyou's bitch in the confines of incest heaven and that's the end of it.

As a result of the clichés with a really major lack of substance the show goes out with a whimper. Even for someone who's been ambivalent for it's series' running it kind of ends up being a disservice to itself and it's potential. Perhaps that's just the very reason why Kill La Kill never really became as popular as it could have been, or that it didn't really end up becoming that big of a hit. In Japan there is a rather major disinterest in the show, and most of it's popularity stems from a vocal yet relatively minor western following. For a show which was built so much around hot-blooded protagonists and adrenaline-fueled pacing, the entire enterprise ended up feeling rather tepid, despite having a share of good moments.

But hey the credits and ending was good. Hopefully the OVA will be about that.

• Thumbs Up 4

Man, if the show literally had 2 more episodes, the ending could have been so much better, but alas it was rushed and kinda shitty. All of the "emotional moments" would have had so much more impact if the show would have just taken it's damn time. The ending actually probably would have been awesome if not for the overly fast pacing.  

But all in all, it was a great ride. Sure the ending kinda sucked and the show wasn't perfect by any means, but it wasn't the type of bad ending that ruins everything that came before it, and despite the show having it's flaws it was still a very enjoyable ride through and through. I hope whatever Trigger makes next can be better and more universally acclaimed then this: as the post clearly above me shows, not everyone liked this one as much. But I know I'm gonna miss you, Kill La Kill. I had tons of fun with you and you gave me something to look forward to every Thursday/Friday. It's been fun riding the hype train with the lot of you people on SSMB. All in all, great anime that I maybe wouldn't always recommend to absolutely everyone, but to everyone who likes things like Gurren Lagann, Panty and Stocking and FLCL. Just make sure you're ready to tolerate that there fanservice biggrin.png.

1901673_726486767381958_1320885522_n.jpg Now the wait begins to hear more about the OVA.....

• Thumbs Up 3

Trigger best make up for this lackluster ending with the OVA and movie.

Speaking of which, Ragyo's last few words and that unbearable smirk of hers did give off something of a foreboding tone. Perhaps Trigger might pull a Cooler(DBZ) on us with the OVA and/or upcoming movie. Or something else, who knows.

Oh, and is Gamako canon yet?

Just watched the ending.

First off I'm kind of dissapointed the Ultimate Double Naked DTR got swat away like it did, but atleast it did something. Way to show those minor characters their place. Gamagoori was pretty fuckin' badass tho', and I loved the final fights and Ryuuko/Satsuki's double cross slashes. I just wish Ragyou would quit sounding like she's having an orgasm all the time. Seeing Satsuki flip out was cool too. Also lol Super Ryuuko. Oh and Mako stfu plz.

...Wait did the budget just randomly increase

... ... ...

Hold on... Senketsu Kisaragi? *looks at name*

Trigger best make up for this lackluster ending the OVA and movie.

Speaking of which, Ragyo's last few words and that unbearable smirk of hers did give off something of a foreboding tone. Perhaps Trigger might pull a Cooler(DBZ) on us with the OVA and/or upcoming movie. Or something else, who knows.

Oh, and is Gamako canon yet?

The OVA is the only thing coming out, not a movie on top of it.

Rumours say there's apparently an extra episode coming on the final DVD volume in September, but there's literally no details on it right now since we're only up to vol.4...

Oh. I could've sworn I'd heard of an upocming film for it. Ah well, best look forward to the OVA for now I guess.

I'm honestly hoping the OVA is an extended version of the final episode really. Making that plot an hour and a half or 2 hours would do wonders for it. Probably won't happen though. But like what the hell are they going to do with the OVA, the way the show ended they can't really continue from that point......

I'm honestly hoping the OVA is an extended version of the final episode really. Making that plot an hour and a half or 2 hours would do wonders for it. Probably won't happen though. But like what the hell are they going to do with the OVA, the way the show ended they can't really continue from that point......

Might be one of those alternate-reality OVAs, much more comedic. Or something like the third season of Higurashi; sort of a continuation of the ending, but retconning out some of the consequences of the finale.

... ... ...

Hold on... Senketsu Kisaragi? *looks at name*

gif_hagrid.gif

'Yer half life-fiber, Jin.laugh.png 

This threshold of relations that Kill La Kill shares with Sonic, is in need of documentation, because of just how blatant and hysterical it's becoming. And man do I love it.

I'm just happy that that bitch Ragyo is finally dead. Oh man I hated her so much.

I dunno. I felt quite unsatisfied, what with her going out on her own whim and with a smirk. Not to mention Nui's lack of rightful comeuppance.

It's like if Optimus Prime broke character, went on a murderous rampage, had his bacon saved by a Megatron who was actually proposing a negotiation for truce and peace.......and then would proceed to....UizUw.png

.....yeah that sort of dissatisfaction.

Maybe the reason why we sonic fans think the ending is so cliche is because what just happened in the final ep look like it was taken out of SA2...XD

Seriously this show has too many Sonic like moments....its pretty weird.

I know we saw Nui lose her arms and all, but since she got them back again it kinda undid the satisfaction from that moment. Not seeing Nui get killed and instead she just kinda vanishes alongside the original life fibre when Ragyo dies isn't all that great of a payoff for me when you compare it to all the shit she caused.

I know we saw Nui lose her arms and all, but since she got them back again it kinda undid the satisfaction from that moment. Not seeing Nui get killed and instead she just kinda vanishes alongside the original life fibre when Ragyo dies isn't all that great of a payoff for me when you compare it to all the shit she caused.

Seeing Nui lose her shit completely was fine for me honestly. Even in the final fight you can see just how crazy she had gotten now with her cute facade completely gone. I'm sure it wan't enough for some people though.

I don't know. To me focusing on Nui once more would've been a graver mistake. She was destroyed two episodes ago or so, and even though she was technically still alive and with new arms, she was clearly broken. She never bounced back, as shown in demeanour and ability ("I can't recreate the Couturier's fingers") She was defeated already. Personally got all the retribution I wanted from there.

Only gripe I have with the ending is Satsuki. All's fine when it ends fine, everyone is happy, Satsuki even cuts her hair and goes on a girl's date! How fun! Happy times ahead.

How are the people of Osaka enjoying their happy times in the rubble and dead of the city she ordered destroyed, by the way?

I don't see how Nui being offed by the protagonists personally and directly would've really been any better - even by the end of 22, it was obvious that Nui was a dead woman walking. It had already been established that Ryuko basically outclasses her and had caused her to completely lose her shit in a rather substantial way, and Ryuko herself had, by now, completely gotten over the whole revenge thing, which is especially evident in how she handles Nui after cutting her arms off (she tells Nui to surrender rather than immediately finishing her off) and Ragyo after the victory - Ryuko was more concerned about trying to convince Ragyo to surrender and return to Earth quietly to mend her ways, rather than finishing her off. The fact that she didn't even bother to stop her from offing herself speaks volumes, she wanted her mother to repent, but she let her make her own decision and didn't interfere with that.

Could the series really have been better? Sure, but it was one hell of a ride for the team's first real foray away from Gainax. Not every author/studio can hit it out of the park consistently - what matters is being able to take in criticism and take that on board for the next project. Who knows, maybe KLK will get a redone narrative in the vein of EVA Rebuild or FMA Brotherhood at some point. Even if the narrative wasn't that great, we still hit the end with a lot of likable characters who still have plenty of mileage, and that's better than a lot of anime out there, I think.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah Trigger has definitely showed a lot of potential for their first big effort away from Gainax so I hope they are able to improve with the next big original thing they make. Not surprising though, since the director of this worked on the juggernaut Gurrren Lagann.

They did what they wanted perfectly anyways, at least judging by the director's previous works- even if the story lagged a bit, the animation and stylishness were top-notch. And personally that was all I wanted (Ep 4 is still my favourite in that regards).

I'm almost convinced Trigger gave Nui such an anticlimactic death just to troll everyone who hates her :P

But yea, giving Nui more focus would have been redundant at this point; Ryuko got over her revenge, and already humiliated Nui thoroughly two episodes ago, and as a result completely flipped her shit. It doesn't really get anymore satisfying than that, because at that point it was made pretty clear that Nui was no match for her, period.

I will agree however that the epilogue kinda needed to focus on the emotional moments more for them to have more weight; don't get me wrong, shit like Gamagoori protecting Mako, Satsuki catching Ryuko, and Senketsu's death were all powerful moments, they just didn't have time to process them. Cuz ya know, we needed super space battles cuz reasons.

All in all, Kill La Kill was a good anime. Not an amazing series, and it has very obvious pacing, and at times, writing problems. But I enjoyed watching it every single week despite that, I loved almost each and every character, and it was just an overall entertaining series from start to finish. Its no "Savior of anime" but its definitely quite the watch.

• Thumbs Up 3