Awoo.

Kill La Kill

Remy

For Triggers first ever project, I'd say that it was a super amazing one. Can't wait to see their future works.

For Triggers first ever project, I'd say that it was a super amazing one. Can't wait to see their future works.

Well, not their first project, exactly (there's Little Witch Academia), but it's still their first full-length series, but I guess that's just being a little pedantic.

With a dollar for every orgy joke concerning that big catch after the fall back to Earth in the finale, I'd make a fortune.

• Thumbs Up 1

According to someone who follows one of the staff's twitter, they finished the episode 6 hours before the episode had to air. That might explain why the ending was apparently "rushed". I haven't seen the episode yet so I can't say for sure.

I'll echo that it felt really bloody rushed... but eh.

Overall, great series. Might check out TTGL now, heard a few people discuss that in tandem with this...

RIP Senketsu. I swear I near cried. ;^;

Are we certain there won't be a continuation?

Not that it would excuse the poor rushed payoff, just curious considering some in-episode babble about their being more life-fibers on the move towards Earth.

pretty sure it was a obvious sequel hook just because.

A continuation wouldn't make sense, especially since both protagonists lost the means to their power and everyone's character arc has come to a close. There's no reason for a continuation.

According to someone who follows one of the staff's twitter, they finished the episode 6 hours before the episode had to air. That might explain why the ending was apparently "rushed". I haven't seen the episode yet so I can't say for sure.

This is par for the course when it comes to anime. A lot of series are animated on the fly. Doesn't mean they can't manage it better however.

lol, were you there when we had that one episode of Attack on Titan that suddenly cut to still frames for about ten whole seconds, and they forgot to color the bricks?

shingeki-no-kyojin-episode-13-pic8.jpg

Good times.

They did what they could with the budget they had, nothing more, nothing less.

You know this is one thing I dont get, throughout the show people keep bringin but the tight budget but....like....why? I still think KLK looks a lot more better animated then a lot of other "regularly animated" anime out there, I dont really see how the animation budget for the show is that bad. There was the "get to school on time" episode and I figured that was just them going for a stylistic kind of limited animtion (or make it super cartoony) but other then that I think the show is just fine on that front.

lol, were you there when we had that one episode of Attack on Titan that suddenly cut to still frames for about ten whole seconds, and they forgot to color the bricks?

*pic here*

Good times.

Jesus Christ I thought AoT had good animation....

At times it was gorgeous, at other times it was horrendous. They were really low on money and time, probably since the show wasn't expected to be as big of a hit as it ended up being.

It does

Why would ten seconds of purple bricks mean that AoT doesn't have great animation 

Good times.

I wondered who was the one who made this same post on Neogaf.

I wanted Ryuko to personally kill her bitchy mother herself dammit, she just HAD to kill herself instead of going out in style.

but them Credits man...

tumblr_inline_n34ydn6G2A1rxxtwd.gif

Freaking adorable. They manage to make satsuki even more goddess-y in casual clothing and short hair.

Hmm....I guess Trigger will make another anime, but theirs also Little Witch Academia 2 I believe they may be focusing on next.

• Thumbs Up 4

You know this is one thing I dont get, throughout the show people keep bringin but the tight budget but....like....why? I still think KLK looks a lot more better animated then a lot of other "regularly animated" anime out there, I dont really see how the animation budget for the show is that bad. There was the "get to school on time" episode and I figured that was just them going for a stylistic kind of limited animtion (or make it super cartoony) but other then that I think the show is just fine on that front.

I'm not really that savvy on animation honestly, but from what I've been told. There are a lot of points in the series when the characters move very stiffly animated and not much movement happens with their actions; particularly with characters like Mako, her family, and Nui with how seem to have a one dimensional way of moving. 

As a result, the action in the finale is kinda meh as a result. Seriously, for a close comparison by the same people, watch Gurren Lagann's finale for how much better the animation is.

Writing wise its alright, if cliche'd and safe. But that's only part of it honestly.

I wanted Ryuko to personally kill her bitchy mother herself dammit, she just HAD to kill herself instead of going out in style.

but them Credits man...

tumblr_inline_n34ydn6G2A1rxxtwd.gif

Freaking adorable. They manage to make satsuki even more goddess-y in casual clothing and short hair.

Hmm....I guess Trigger will make another anime, but theirs also Little Witch Academia 2 I believe they may be focusing on next.

honestly, I would have been fine with Ryuko sparing her mother, but Ragyo is stripped of her power and ability. She begs for mercy, but Ryuko decks her ass in the face and they take her in.

But meh.

I'm not really that savvy on animation honestly, but from what I've been told. There are a lot of points in the series when the characters move very stiffly animated and not much movement happens with their actions; particularly with characters like Mako, her family, and Nui with how seem to have a one dimensional way of moving. 

As a result, the action in the finale is kinda meh as a result. Seriously, for a close comparison by the same people, watch Gurren Lagann's finale for how much better the animation is.

When such animation is confined to characters and not like a overarching thing, that really makes me think that it was intentionall to give the characters a certain feeling to them.

I wont disagree that the final battle was super underwhelming and there's a million things I can nitpick about it like Ryuko dumb attempt to change Ryago even though she enver had any qualms with killing her in the past, or how she wasnt even defeated in a bombastic way or how the fight itself was basically "Ryuko keeps getting stabbed" but I digress. I liked evverything else about the episode.

When such animation is confined to characters and not like a overarching thing, that really makes me think that it was intentionall to give the characters a certain feeling to them.

I wont disagree that the final battle was super underwhelming and there's a million things I can nitpick about it like Ryuko dumb attempt to change Ryago even though she enver had any qualms with killing her in the past, or how she wasnt even defeated in a bombastic way or how the fight itself was basically "Ryuko keeps getting stabbed" but I digress. I liked evverything else about the episode.

I was speaking specifically more how the characters animated really.

Happy threesome ending makes me want to finally watch this. Honestly I was sort of monitoring how the series would end before getting into it because if it had a disappointing conclusion I'd probably pass it up.

Torrenting.

• Thumbs Up 2

A lot of episodes are restricted by it's limited budget in terms of action and what it's allowed to show. This is really evident in the way a lot of action gags were re-used around the series' mid-point or even avoided (the Battle Royale episodes and the school tour episodes, barring the Ryuko vs Satsuki episode, were some really obvious examples), as well as some of the rapid keyframes that are there to mask inconsistencies/lack of detail, lack of joints, a lot of crappy distanced drawings (lending themselves to "quality" reaction images admittedly) and so forth. A lot of the action has been subdued in certain times when it shouldn't be.

Episode 21 had a good example of this.

hitemupafk45.gif

This entire segment of Satsuki getting her ass kicked is almost nothing but repetitive and static loops, and that takes up to a minute of the episode itself. There's no sense of dynamic movement or velocity. For being a "visceral" scene it's really boring to actually watch. For the rest of the episode, a majority of it is one or two characters jumping at one another in turn and showing off a new attack or weapon.

A comparison on Tumblr likened this to the infamous fistfight in Lagann-Hen, but the difference is pretty night and day in comparison as far as budgets go.

izA9LHmYdrmUD.gif

Some might say it's a bit of an unfair comparison, and in one aspect it is - the time factor is obviously worth considering, but a lot of animation detail in Lagann-Hen ended up mostly being extensions on what was in the original show, and what Gurren Lagann had was a very sizable Gainax budget and production schedule. Imaishi, Sushio and co. got a lot done around then but a lot of corners have to be cut in KLK.

Even the last episode seems to have cut a corner or two. You could argue that all the sketchy close-ups where Ryuko goes Super Shadow and also grabs the microphone is a stylistic choice, but a lot of the time "stylistic choices" in an anime like KLK is mostly on account of a lack of time and money. The animation during that entire segment isn't very smooth and is really rough, and it gradually loses additional detail.

Whether it works is an entirely different subject, but it's obvious that Trigger is nowhere near the major enterprise as Gainax was. The team, Sushio specifically, has done a lot of incredible stuff, and I don't think it's reasonable to assume that the talent they have just downgraded. Now, a lot of anime does get fixed or redone when they eventually get their re-releases on collected formats since they get more time (the aforementioned Attack on Titan got some fixes I believe), but budget will still be an issue for them.

Come to think of it, the budget is probably the main reason why the show is almost exclusively set in Honnouji Academy - the school grounds is literally a massive circular dome, meaning most action will not come in the way of the background. Gurren Lagann didn't have many background details either but it shifting the locale all the time and constantly being focused on new, massive, screen-occupying mechas didn't call for that. By contrast, Panty & Stocking ended up having a lot of background gimmicks on a regular occasion, most notably during it's more budgeted episodes.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm honestly laughing when people say that their means to power up are all gone, because if fire was enough to destroy them in the first place, they wouldn't have lasted this long at all anyway, so Senketsu's life fiber essence is definitely still out there and could come back if they wanted it to, personally Senketsu's death was a poor and cheap move to try and throw a "justified" good character death in there for the sake of it, and messily tying up the loose ends of possible outcomes if the goku uniforms had survived in the end.

It was a fun ride, but I agree with Voyant, maybe my long term exposure to the Sonic series took the shine off things for me with all the comparisons made, if I wasn't as heavily into Sonic as I am now, I'd probably be blowing this anime as if it was made of everything I could possibly want in a franchise/show.

The Sonic comparisons are fairly superficial honestly.

I mean seriously, how many anime have the main character be empowered in some way to combat the final battle. Sonic isn't the only series to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1