Awoo.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (IDW, Comic, 2011-Ongoing)

Marcello

Decided to get #44 to catch up.

Wow. Bebop and Rocksteady were absolutely brutal to Donnie. Considering he's my favourite turtle, it was honestly a little hard to keep reading, especially when they smash his shell, and more or less nearly kill him.

I have another question. Was the FCBD issue a reprint of #45 or is it a original recap issue?

The FCBD issue is an original recap issue with some current story stuff thrown in.

I think it takes place after #46/47.

• 4 weeks later...

Edit: Now officially revealed, so spoiler tags removed and full covers added.

294l5cg.jpg

2jd55cp.jpg

TMNT/BATMAN

From Comic Book Resources:

Up to this point, Batman meeting the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has only existed in fans' collective imagination, playing out via action figures in playrooms worldwide. Now it's comic book reality, thanks to the latest joint presentation from DC Comics and IDW Publishing, and CBR has the exclusive first details.

The six-issue "Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" is scheduled debut in November, from the creative team of Bat-books veteran writer James Tynion IV and artist Freddie E. Wiliams II, who's worked on "Robin," "JSA All-Stars" and more for DC. Williams will also illustrate covers for the series, along with "TMNT" co-writer Kevin Eastman.

"I've been extremely lucky to spend so much time working in Gotham City, but it's always a thrill to see the world of Batman through new eyes" Tynon said in the official press release. "Taking the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on a Gotham Adventure is a fanboy dream come true."

Here's the official description of the story: "In the ongoing power struggle between the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, General Krang, and the Foot Clan, allegiances have shifted and the battle lines have been drawn. Krang concocts a plan to rid himself of both the Turtles and Shredder by transporting them to another dimension, where they land in the dark and dangerous streets of Gotham City. It isn't long before they encounter Gotham's most famous resident, Batman. The Caped Crusader may be their only hope of overcoming their enemies and getting back home. But not before they encounter a whole cast of Gotham's most infamous rogues."

In 2011, IDW and DC teamed-up for "Star Trek/Legion of Super-Heroes." This week, the first issue of "Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War," another IDW/DC collaboration, was released in stores.

• Thumbs Up 9

That's...actually pretty cool. I'm aware the IDW had the Turtles crossover with the Ghostbusters not too long ago, but this sounds like something I'll probably pick up. 

I'm eager to see them come across the likes of Joker, Scarecrow and Riddler as major or minor antagonists. Also intrigued by possible interactions between Batman and Leo, of all Turtles. Leo at first might not fully like how he conducts his vigilantism but then slowly respects him upon seeing he too has a "no-kill" policy. Really when you think about it, they're very alike in terms of fighting crime in their own way and fading away into the night.

Oh, and Donnie's there A-OK. So I guess this all happens after the current story.

Pretty crazy. Could be fun, though. Mikey will probably find Joker hilarious. laughing.png And here's hoping Batman and the turtles go and eat some pizza.

I know the Batcave's gonna cause a major geek-out from Donnie. XD

If Bats and Raph don't beat the absolute shit out of each other by the end of this, I will be sorely disappointed.

I have ALWAYS wanted to see Batman and Shredder go at it, regardless of it being kind of a fanboy crack idea. And now it might actually happen...

76784_angry-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles

• Thumbs Up 1

Batman, AND TMNT?!

Sounds awesome, too bad I'm not really that into reading comics.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread for a new solicit:

Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman (w) • Ken Garing (a & c)

A new age begins for the TMNT. The epic events of TMNT #50 have created new opportunity… and dangers. Will the family stay united in the face of a devastating new foe?

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

ARTIST’S EDITION BLANK SKETCH VARIANT

Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman (w) • Ken Garing (a) • Blank Sketch (c)

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
• New status quo! Great jumping on point for new readers!
• Part of IDW’s Artist’s Edition Month promotion!

No new cover, yet. There's an example of a sketch cover by Eastman in the link.

Little surprised that Santolouco's stepping down after #50, but odds are IDW will leave the door open for him to return down the line. It's not much to go on, but here's a TMNT variant Garing did a while back for an example of his art (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-p9eGANQnOoA/U2qU2eKpPwI/AAAAAAAABH0/sRSamsjSIhc/s1600/TMNT35-cvrRI-copy-eae72.jpg).

This last year of issues or so has seeded some interesting stuff:

-Hun ditches the Foot when he thinks Shredder is dead, only to later be arrested and then rescued by Hob for another stage in his plan.
-Kitsune seems to have touched Alopex with a psychic link and might be looking to backstab Shredder.
-The Rat King is lurking around in the shadows, and is currently going after April and Casey.
-Krang isn't dead, so there's always the possibility of him returning.
-"Turtles in Time" hinted at Leatherhead, and also the Battle Nexus (2014 Annual).
-The Mutanimals are becoming more active now that they're fully formed, and Slash might be a little unstable... Oh, and Null has appeared.
-Donatello is currently merged with Metalhead, but Honeycutt has his body now, so he might be working on reviving him completely.

And that's just a few of the things I could think of (I'm sure there's more), so maybe with this we're going to be getting an extended break from Shredder and the Pantheon will be stepping up to proceed with their game. I'll be curious to see what the "new status quo" is with this issue.

Also, anybody been reading the April and Casey mini-series? Other than the Rat King, I haven't been able to get into it. It's mostly with Tamaki's script, which feels like it jumps around a little bit, but also how she handles Casey and April as characters bugs me. It's a little hard for me to explain, but I suppose it's them butting heads and the way they go about it. I suppose that is classic April and Casey, but it feels ever so slightly out of character for these incarnations? I think the same sort of relationship turbulence probably could have been done slightly differently, here it feels like it's not necessarily building off of anything and so far we've just had the two of them either muttering to themselves or meeting people who express or represent what they're going through. Maybe it's all the Rat King messing with them, I don't know. But the last two issues should have them confronting him head on, so that should be interesting, at least.

This whole thing sounds like some fanboy's daydream come true, but what a dream!  I've never really read into TMNT, or Batman comics, but this is just too interesting to ignore.

• 4 months later...

*Looks at last post I made regarding arc opinions*

Oh...Oh boy. That's quite a while...Northampton was the last? Ohhhhh boy. I have a lot of catching up to do.

To sum up, I've been busy with the series, and in terms of the main series, I'm now officially caught up with the exception of Issue 45 I believe. But other than that, I'm caught up. So the arcs I need to talk about is Shadows of the Past, Sins of the Fathers. Krang War, Monsters, Misfits, and Mutants, New Mutant Order, Attack on Technodome, and Vengeance.

On top of that, as I mentioned in the Christmas Haul thread, I got the first volume of the IDW Collection for Christmas (For those who don't know, they're massive collection of books that holds about 3 GNs, and 5 Mini-Series issues, and are getting even bigger soon enough). But this meant I have now gotten Change is Constant, Enemies Old, Enemies New, and Shadows of the Past in physical form (Previously, I was getting my GNs on the IDW Turtle app). But this collection also has 6 more stories, those being A Lot to Learn, and the Leo/Raph/Donnie/Mikey/Splinter Micro-Issues. 

And on top of that, I have gotten the Turtles in Time GN, and Ghostbusters crossover as well, so I have a ton of work if I want to talk about them all.

So it's up to you guys. Is anyone interested in hearing my opinions?

• 1 month later...

If digital's your thing, there's an IDW sale for TMNT on comiXology. Worth noting all trades available up to this point, including every mini-series as well as the main series (up to vol. 13--which ends with #50) are all discounted. If you're missing anything and want to catch up, this is definitely the time to get on it.

Also, I haven't had a chance to really write my thoughts on the book lately, and I haven't picked up the latest issue yet, but...

Spoiler

HOLY SHIT BISHOP'S FINALLY HERE YES

I'm liking what's going on with the new era so far, especially with the spotlight on the Mutanimals and the state of the Foot Clan following Shredder's defeat. There's some 4Kids TMNT nods with the Street Phantoms and Dunn (they're from Fast Forward), maybe even Imagi (agent Winter). Looks like some interesting stuff is coming out, especially with Leatherhead making his proper debut in a few issues. I'm kinda hoping we'll see the Triceratons make a proper appearance (since they haven't been seen since "Utrom Empire" which took place well before the series anyway) in the coming months as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Reminder: The Comixlogy sale has now extended into the IDW/IDW Turtles App, and all of the trades, including the main series, all micro series, and miniseries, and crossovers including Vengeance Parts 1 & 2, April & Casey, Mutanimals, TMNT/Ghostbusters, and more are all down to £2.99, basically the same price as one issue on the App, so if there's any better time to pick these up, get them now.

• 4 weeks later...

So IDW just announced the funnest-sounding mini-series ever:

f9fka0.jpg

13yjrm1.jpg

54egia.jpg

With Bebop and Rocksteady set to appear in June’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows film, it’s the perfect time for IDW to launch a new miniseries starring the humanoid mutant warthog and rhinoceros pair. The publisher has assembled a dynamite creative team for the weekly TMNT: Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything, a madcap time-travel adventure that puts the fate in the universe in the hands of the Ninja Turtles’ foes, and it’s especially exciting to see two creators who are typically artists co-writing the title. Dustin Weaver has impressed with his recent writing work at Marvel Comics, most notably last year’s The Infinity Gauntlet miniseries with Gerry Duggan, and he’s joined by Ben Bates to tell Bebop and Rocksteady’s story.

Bates draws the first issues, but every subsequent chapter has a different artist joining the writers, including Sophie Campbell & Giannis Milonogiannis (#2), Damian Couceiro (#3), Nick Pitarra (#4), and Ryan Browne (#5). It’s a stellar line-up, and there’s so much strong artistic talent on this book that it should appeal to even those immune to the Ninja Turtles’ appeal. Readers can experience the zany time-travel antics when all of TMNT: Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything drops this June, but in the meanwhile, IDW has provided The A.V. Club with Nick Pitarra’s interlocking covers for the first four issues, along with variants for the first four, a first look at Sophie Campbell’s artwork, and solicitation info for the entire mini.

TMNT: Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything #1
Ben Bates, Dustin Weaver (w) • Ben Bates (a) • Nick Pitarra (c)
After their defeat in TMNT #50, the dull-witted Bebop and Rocksteady, everyone’s favorite warthog and rhino mutants, are feeling dejected and without purpose. However, when they stumble across a time-travel scepter, they realize that their craziest, most destructive adventure awaits! Will the universe survive?
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

TMNT: Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything #2
Ben Bates, Dustin Weaver (w) • Sophie Campbell, Giannis Milonogiannis (a) • Nick Pitarra (c)
Bebop and Rocksteady travel to the past and meet their former selves! What could go wrong? Plus: Dinosaurs!!

TMNT: Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything #3
Ben Bates, Dustin Weaver (w) • Damian Couceiro (a) Nick Pitarra (c)
Chaos spreads and the next stop in Bebop and Rocksteady’s itinerary is Stockgen when the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles where just regular baby Turtles!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

TMNT: Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything #4
Ben Bates, Dustin Weaver (w) • Nick Pitarra (a & c)
After a fight, Bebop and Rocksteady split up and travel separately to different time periods. The Dark Ages, WWI, the Future… no time period is safe!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

TMNT: Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything #5
Ben Bates, Dustin Weaver (w) • Ryan Browne (a) • Nick Pitarra (c)
Time has been irreparably damaged and the fabric of reality is torn apart! Only a trip to visit the Time Lords in the 79th dimension holds any hope. But is time-traveller Renet still alive? Are the Turtles? Is anyone??
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

BEBOP AND ROCKSTEADY...TIME-TRAVELLING...CO-WRITTEN BY BEN BATES...FEATURING KAIJU TURTLES, WINGNUT AND SCREWLOOSE, SCUMBUG, AND SAVANTI ROMERO. *Explodes*

• Thumbs Up 5

Ha, I remember Campbell was teasing some TMNT stuff, but I would NEVER have guessed this is what IDW had planned for this year. I really like the IDW versions of Bebop and Rocksteady, so it's great to see them get the spotlight again. Sounds like this is going to be a lot of fun.

Spoiler

...I take it they got cut loose from the Foot after losing the Gauntlet/Shredder dying?

I'm not sure if this is a mistake, but did the article really say "weekly"? Are they going to be releasing these issues back-to-back?

Presumably. They've done weekly mini-series before with other brands. (My Little Pony did one last year around April, for instance.)

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd say it's only fair they'd be kicked out of the Foot. They nearly

killed Donnie, and took great pleasure in doing it all the while. It's pretty lucky that the Turtles let them get away so easily

On another note, this is sounding like the TMNT version of Deadpool destroys the Marvel Universe.

• 3 weeks later...

So it seems like the Turtles are taking a page out of Sonic's comic playbook and starting a new ongoing series in August: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Universe!

rwkos0.jpg

From IGN:

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic series from IDW Publishing is getting a sister series called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Universe by writer Paul Allor and artist Damian Couceiro, with backups by writers Tom Waltz and TMNT co-creator Kevin Eastman and artist Bill Sienkiewicz.

This new series will tell stories focused on various supporting characters in the TMNT world. Characters named by series editor Bobby Curnow include Casey Jones, Fugitoid, Old Hob, April, Nobody, Harold, and Baxter Stockman, plus he teased we’ll get a couple brand new villains.

Allor, who has written previous TMNT comics Turtles in Time and Mutanimals, told us what to expect from the story.

“This is a classic siege story, in the vein of Rio Bravo and Assault on Preinct 13. It's a brutal, action-packed siege story, packed with villains old and new, that's also very driven by the relationship between these four brothers,” Allor said.

He also let shine his excitement to be working with Couceiro.

“His previous work -- including Cluster, his creator-owned book with Ed Brisson, of which I'm a big fan -- shows that he does big action and deep emotion incredibly well. I know he's gonna bring so much depth to this book, and I can't wait for people to see what we're cooking up,” Allow said.

But why is now the time to expand IDW’s TMNT line to two ongoing comics?

“Essentially, over the past four-plus years our TMNT world has grown too large to contain to one monthly title. There are dozens of fan-favorite characters. In short, we need a second title to do the ‘TMNT Universe’ justice,” Curnow said. “With two series we can flesh out these supporting characters more and devote greater time to the Turtles themselves and expanding their world. Our aim is to tell stories that are self-contained but complementary to the original ongoing TMNT title.”

Curnow’s vision is to simply let the creators do their thing and tell awesome TMNT stories.

“In addition to enabling us to tell stories that we might not get the time to otherwise, my aim for this series is encourage creators, both new and familiar to TMNT, to stretch their creative muscles and run. Often in the past we've been shackled a bit to the events of the ongoing title. Here, if a creator wants to tell a story that's a bit farther away, in either tone or plot, than what is happening in the ongoing title, we can explore it. My hope is that we'll be able to nurture and flourish the creativity that has always been a huge part of TMNT, and in doing so, bring new creators and readers to the title,” Curnow said.

Finally, here’s the solicit for the first issue:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Universe #1

Paul Allor, Kevin Eastman, Tom Waltz (w) • Damian Couceiro, Kevin Eastman, Bill Sienkiewicz (a) • Freddie Williams (c)

Introducing a new era in TMNT! This series will explore characters and story-lines that are pivotal to the IDW TMNT universe! When a mysterious new mutant targets Baxter Stockman, it will be up to the TMNT to reluctantly save him. Little does everyone know that a larger trap is being laid by a new arch-foe! Plus a back-up story from TMNT co-creator Kevin Eastman and comics legend Bill Sienkiewicz!

Loving the idea of a sister series! This universe already has so much packed into it, that there's plenty to be expanded upon. Can't wait to see what new characters and mutants rear their ugly heads, as well. Man, with Mutants in Manhattan and the Bebop and Rocksteady mini in addition to this, the IDW Turtleverse has plenty going on this year!

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

TMNT The IDW Collection Volume 3's confirmed. It's going to collect the entirety of City Fall (Issues 21-28), it will also be compiling most of the villain one shots (Old Hob, Alopex, Karai, Hun, Bebop/Rocksteady, and Shredder), and the 2012 Annual.

• 2 months later...

oapt02.jpg

1qit5g.jpg

The Turtles and Bat are mixing it up again for another six-issue mini-series in November! This time, however, it'll involve the Batman of classic 90's Animated Series and DCAU fame teaming up with the Nickelodeon Turtles of the current animated series. Matthew K. Manning will write the book and Jon Sommariva will be drawing it. Story info:

The story will follow Batman, in the style we know and love from Batman: The Animated Series, in his pursuit of his usual band of foes after they break free—as they always seem to do—from the confines of Arkham Asylum. The assorted criminals will find their way across canons into New York City, where Bats will have no choice but to call upon the help of the pizza-loving goofballs devoted to keeping the Big Apple safe. It won’t only be Batman’s foes who stand in the way of justice, however; the Turtles’ collective of enemies will step in to ensure the longevity of this new taste of chaos.

Very interesting way to do a sequel. I would've personally gone with the 2k3 Turtles, but the contrast of the two shows could be fun.

In other SDCC comic news more relevant to the IDWverse:

dy575f.jpg

bgs4lz.jpg

2woj3o6.jpg

Nick Pitarra will be bringing Wyrm to TMNT Universe, there'll be a special Christmas issue drawn by Mateus Santolouco, and Slash will return in a future issue. (Looking to be hunted down by someone. Likely Bishop or Dark Water in general.)

Wyrm is looking fierce, always love more Slash (Especially interested in seeing his new life direction post-Mutanimals), and I LOOOOOOVE Christmas specials, so I'm quite excited for what awaits in the near future.

6 hours ago, Predabros CC14 said:

oapt02.jpg

More like Teenage Mutant Ninja Giraffes, amirite?

The cover for IDW Collection Volume 3 is out, and it's a good one.

tmnt-IDWcollectionV03-cover.jpg

• 2 months later...

IDW Collection Volume 4 is confirmed! Release date is January 19th!

Recovering from the events of "City Fall," the Turtles seek sanctuary in the countryside, but questions remain unanswered and tension festers among the brothers. Meanwhile, in New York, Shredder tightens his grip on the city in their absence and Krang's plan to destroy the Earth is ramping up but Baxter Stockman has ideas of his own. Collects TMNT issues #29-37, Utrom Empire, and the 2014 Annual.

For those wondering, it collects Northampton, Mutants, Misfits, and Madmen, and I believe the first issue of New World Order (Not sure)

• 2 months later...

Right, update with the IDW Collection Volume 4, it's possibly going to have New World Order included. The reason being is Donnie is featured on the cover, and for everyone who reads the comics, we all know the huge Donnie developments that occurs in NWO and Attack on Technodrome.

tumblr_ofgpj1j6Xh1riu867o1_1280.jpg