Awoo.

Iizuka confirms: Shadow REQUIRES a Chaos Emerald to use Chaos Control

Darth InVaders

Iizuka confirms: Shadow the Hedgehog REQUIRES a Chaos Emerald to use Chaos Control

During Sonic Boom 2013 Q&A, skip to 41:30, it is the last question answered in video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nzxRoIX4QU

This is what I have been saying for years, for example...

I posted this in the Sega forums a while ago and thought I'd bring it here:

I've come across many Sonic fans across the internet who don't seem to understand the Chaos Emeralds and Chaos Control within the context of the games (separate from other Sonic universes) and Sonic X.

The Chaos Emeralds in the games and Sonic X are very different from the ArchieSonic and FleetwaySonic universes. There is no "Chaos Force" in SegaSonic

or Sonic X - the Chaos Emeralds of the both of these canons transform thoughts into power and thus serve as their own power generators.

Furthermore, the power of an Emerald can be harnessed without physical contact. The needed proximity is unknown.

Games:

Sonic X:

Likewise, Chaos Control is very different from the ArchieSonic universe in the Games and Sonic X. In both, Chaos Control is defined as the ability to use the Chaos Emeralds to warp time and space (technically it is the ability to use the power of the Chaos Emeralds as Chaos Control can be used using a fake Emerald with the same wavelength and properties as a real one). This means that Chaos Control requires the power from at least one Chaos Emerald in the games and Sonic X (and like just said, an Emerald only needs to be close by to draw that power), and warping time and space without a Chaos Emerald's power is by definition not Chaos Control.

It's also notable that Sonic X is almost completely similar to the games in its Chaos Emeralds and Chaos Control - Chaos Control's requirement for at least one Emerald is even more ironclad (while there are plotholes created by gameplay and such, Sonic X doesn't have them and Shadow's Sonic X bio even says "He also has the ability to create Chaos Control with just one Chaos Emerald") - the biggest differences between Sonic X and the games are the Emeralds' reactions to each other (all 7 put together incorrectly create an uncontrolled Chaos Control warp), all 7 Emeralds combining into one (the English version dropped this, and it was forgotten by the Japanese version pretty quickly), and an explanation that the Emeralds always scatter after being collected (games give no explanation). In fact, Shadow's ability to use Chaos Control with just one Emerald is a plot point.

These things about Chaos Control and Chaos Emeralds are officially canon in both the Sonic Games universe and the Sonic X universe. The quotes alone prove it. There is no evidence of Shadow being "made of Chaos Energy" or being a "living Chaos Emerald" or anything like that.

...yet so many refused to believe me about Chaos Control and even discounted the quotes from Sonic Team's character biographies of Shadow and from cutscenes (thus arguing against Sonic Team's own words). Now Iizuka himself is confirming what I've been saying about Shadow requiring a Chaos Emerald for Chaos Control is true.

There is no arguing with the man who is credited with the creation of Shadow's character and the current head of Sonic Team so there is no doubt left in this matter: Chaos Control is defined as the ability to use [the power of] the Chaos Emeralds to warp time and space.

Woop-de-fucking-doo.

Care to explain the importance?

Edited by DocAzure

I honestly don't see how this matters one way or the other, but I guess it's nice that we get a little more insight as to how Chaos energy (or whatever it's canonically called) works.  That is, assuming he wasn't just giving an answer to satisfy a question as opposed to setting it in stone.

If I can give Shadow the Hedgehog credit, it's that Shadow gets a chaos emerald in the very beginning of the game to justify using his abilities.

Edited by Mr. 0
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is what I have been saying for years,

Erm... good for you?

I don't particually care if Shadow has to use an emerald or not... but as someone who watched that interview on the live stream... it was quite obvious that at points both Iizuka and Hoshino were just answering for the sake of being polite... between their facepalming at some questions.

With this one, I dont doubt that it'll change depending on if they ever bring up chaos control in a game again. With stuff like this, you can only really go on whats the latest example as being canon or fact.

But really... using this interview for this kind of question is a bit... erm... yeah. Theres probably only around 3 questions in the whole thing which actually gave some interesting answers, and those wern't even strictly Sonic universe related.

If I can give Shadow the Hedgehog credit, it's that Shadow gets a chaos emerald in the very beginning of the game to justify using his abilities.

Although the Chaos meter still fills up even before you get the Emerald, so you could easily believe it to be a non-necessity.  The fact that they put the Emerald in such a place where it would be impossible to get Chaos Control/Chaos Blast before getting the Emerald, though, is sort of their half-minded way of attempting to connect the story and gameplay, I guess.

Edited by Spooky Akita

So despite the clear video evidence of Shadow teleporting from one place to another in short distances without the use of a Chaos Emerald, Takashi Iizuka claims that the use of Chaos Control (likely referring to the complete stopping of time or teleporting long distances) requires such an energy source.

That doesn't exactly mean much. 

And even if what Iizuka was referring to was what you think he's referring to (he isn't), you need to bear in mind that he is notorious for getting things wrong within the series he's in control of.

Iizuka, King of PR, King of Muddling Up Everything.

Edited by Indigo Rush

I thought that was just because they realised each path only has 6 levels yet there's 7 emeralds, so they said "Fuck it, put one in Westopolis halfway through the level, so that Shadow always has all 7 emeralds at the end of a playthrough as we can't be arsed to make another few levels" or whatever have you.

Woop-de-fucking-doo.

Care to explain the importance?

He white-knighted his belief that the Chaos Emerald was required for all instances of Chaos Control (yes, even the smallest teleporations and energy attacks) and wouldn't relent on his theory.

Now Iizuka says that Shadow needs a Chaos Emerald to use Chaos Control. Now as to what Chaos Control actually is at this point makes it difficult to understand what he was thinking about in the first place. 

My take:

The instances where Shadow shouts "CHAOS CONTROL," he has an Emerald with him. Usually teleporting long distances or stopping time altogether. That is the main usage of Chaos Control.

The instances where Shadow teleports short limited distances, shoots energy waves or any other smaller less-powerful versions of the aformentioned ability, that is a weaker variation of Chaos Control, and is used without the necessity of a Chaos Emerald. It isn't "CHAOS CONTROL," but it's still Chaos Control. It's the same essence, the same power, but without the full realization that is necessitated by the use of the Chaos Emeralds.

Edited by Indigo Rush

Your logic has always been faulty; being right by coincidence (and in contradiction to the games) shouldn't give you cause to pat yourself on the back.

• Thumbs Up 6

Ugh, I'm going to make a judgement call, because this topic absolutely reeks.

While the actual subject of the thread itself is somewhat passable as a thread, it's nonetheless clear from the OP itself this topic was made just to stoke an argument no one really cared about anymore and to get the last word in, which in effect is the entire point. I don't see how this isn't stirring drama- which is against the rules- especially since I don't see why it couldn't be contained in the numerous Shadow/Emeralds/trivia threads we have here anyway. Several of the personal responses to the OP- in topic and in the status updates- predictably aren't helping one bit, and frankly I don't see this going anywhere good. Topic locked.

• Thumbs Up 7