Awoo.

Nepenthe

Many childhood dreams will be reconsidered following this film's release.

But seriously, I'm not a huge fan of thrillers, but it looks like it might be worth seeing for the emotional factor.  I might give it a watch if I ever have the opportunity.

Edited by Spooky Akita
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh, I forgot to mention, I watched Apollo 13, and that really just... well, "filled me with suspense"? XD I have a feeling Gravity will be the same, except more intense.

This was such a beautiful movie, gotta say, it's my favorite of the year.* On a purely technical level it's marvelous, the vast long shots stand out the most, especially that entire beginning, ugh, so gorgeous looking. I'm just utterly baffled how this movie even exists, did they film in space or what? Seriously, literally flawless CGI throughout, it's the closet any of us will ever get to being in space. Not to say it's just brilliant technically either, for a movie with literally only two characters, the performances are outstanding. Bullock especially, just kudos to her, she really brought the right amount of emotion and depth to her character, she was so believable in her role. Let's also take a moment to appreciate the movie for having a female hero who didn't need a weapon to be a totally aspirational bad-ass. This movie not only works as a fantastic drama and character-study but also as just a  thrilling action movie, this movie is so goddamn intense, you'll literally be on the edge of your seat, it's better than most roller-coaster rides. On that note, please see this in 3D/IMAX 3D, i know what you're thinking, no, it really demands to be seen in the format. Best use of it i've ever seen, it's a movie that was built for specifically for 3D and uses it in an awesome way, and doesn't feel like a bonus feature, I loved it.   No really, it's worth the 3D. SEE IT IN 3D. 

It's rare that a movie really sticks with me after i've seen it, but this one has really just been playing back in my mind the past few days, I really need to go watch it again. I'm not exaggerating, this movie would honestly be a perfect 10 if i had to rate it. Go see it, it's an experience that will last with you forever.  One more thing, the soundtrack, lord the soundtrack, it's outstanding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqgz9SySXak

then again, pacific rim had robots and monsters fighting so that's movie of the year i guess

Edited by Spoopy Scary Jacky
  • Thumbs Up 2

Everyone was terrified when Bullock was announced, because she apparently can't act, but I admit she did do a great job. Really got me in the scene when--

She realizes she's out of fuel, before she resigns to suicide and has that little moment with the Chinese man she radio'd in on. The terror and desperation for some human contact made me want to take her out of the screen and give her a big ol' hug. But then again, the whole movie is like that. They put her through the freaking wringer, and by the end when she was

still struggling I just wanted her to get a break. Would've been pissed if she didn't get a happy ending because she earned it.

And I agree, the soundtrack is also impressive. My personal favorite is Debris. Synthetic tones and foreboding bass really do encapsulate the situation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Haven't seen the movie, but I saw the trailers... The sight of the astronaut floating out into space is pure nightmare fuel for me. Just the thought of dying out in the middle of space gives me major chills.

Doesn't look like my kind of thing, though. But if it's as good as everyone says, I might give it a shot in the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

I happened upon an article that's probably as terrifying as the thought of being stranded in space: All the Ways Hollywood Tried to Ruin Gravity. Obvious spoilers, but still--

A love story between Ryan and Kowalsky? It was their first and last mission together, and she had so many issues with the value of her own life after her daughter's death that it just would've been sickeningly awful to even entertain it. Same with cutting towards the Earth via flashbacks. No- the planet itself is one of the end goals, and to show it would've diluted the value of her achievement, not to mention would've completely ruined the pacing of some of those long shots themselves, as well as marred the more actionable character development. Studio execs pls. Leave the art to the artists.

• Thumbs Up 2

Heard a lot of interesting and excellent things about this film and I do want to go see it.

Did you guys know that 80% of the film's visuals is animation and visual effects, done by framestore? So in a sense, it could be considered an animated film (whether it is or not is, according to cartoon blog, up for debate).

Also, 80% of the film's opening weekend gross of $55 mil. (setting new October box-office records) is from 3D screens (which usually make up 30%-55% of a film's opening gross). I've heard that the film /has/ to be experienced at IMAX 3D theaters, the recommended viewing experience in the film's advertisements.

And then there's the film's impressively high 98% RT critical approval rating. There's no doubt it's going to collect several nominations and awards during the upcoming awards season.

Sorry that this post comes off more of some sort of advertisement for the film and whatnot, but the bottom line is that I really do wish to see this film.

• Thumbs Up 1

That first link you gave is interesting. I was actually going back and forth on whether or not to make a topic concerning the definitions and limitations of the word "cartoon," because indeed, as I've come to understand it, animation is basically any film footage that was not captured in real time using a physical camera (though I should ask my professor about flip books). Any CGI, therefore, must be considered animation. So basically most of the things we are watching nowadays could probably qualify as glorified, gritty Mary Poppins affairs, or perhaps even cartoons outright. But let's not talk to that stuffy old Academy board about that.

It's rare that a movie really sticks with me after i've seen it, but this one has really just been playing back in my mind the past few days, I really need to go watch it again. I'm not exaggerating, this movie would honestly be a perfect 10 if i had to rate it. Go see it, it's an experience that will last with you forever.  One more thing, the soundtrack, lord the soundtrack, it's outstanding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqgz9SySXak

I love that feeling you get when you leave a movie with the epic feeling you had while watching it. yea, specifically dat ending song (called gravity, lol) stuck with me for days. I catch myself singing the part at 3:20 over and over. 

what pisses me off though is one of my friends who tries too hard to be this "I hate movies that focus more on action. it makes it automatically bad". 

coming from an aspiring photographer/film director/etc. there's a whole other world between storyline, and visuals. storyline is an important aspect, but visuals (put together with audio/soundtrack) have their own goal of leaving you with a true sense of perception. sometimes altering the way you look at things. so many people want you to see what they see, but they can't show you. they can only tell you. that's what makes storyline a key aspect, and visuals a truly rare thing when it works perfectly, and presents what the artist has wanted you to see. 

that's why I loved the comment about children of men. there's no greater example and movie I appreciated more than children of men. I look at that movie as an example of what I want to achieve one day.

I first saw this trailer in the movies some months ago and scuffed at it.. AS it looked boring when I seen the first trailer... I might have to change my tune seeing ALL the talking people are making about this movie. My only thing is I'm not a fan of 3D so I hope that doesn't kill the movie for me. 

I always like Nepethene's movie topics. They have me going in curious and leaving with extreme amazement.

This was such a beautiful movie. Some of the best Cinematography I've ever seen in media. The plot was good, you get what you come in expecting, Astronauts stranded in space. And the acting was surprisingly very well done. There were many scenes that almost made me choke up a bit.

But christ though, the visuals of this movie almost had me drop my jaw quite a few times. If this is as realistic as CGI is going to get, we can just call it a victory and head on home right now. The Earth, The Space Station, everything. It was amazing.

Some advice, if you are going to see this, please see this in 3D. Seeing nuts and bolts and space debris pop out at you, yeah that's cool and all, but that's not the reason to see it in 3D. It enhances the depth of the entire movie in such a way I can't even explain it. It's incredible.

Seriously, unless you have some 3D TV and wanna wait till it comes out on DVD, you have to see this movie before it finishes it's run, in 3D! Unless Disney's Frozen can somehow top this, Gravity is definitely gonna be my favorite movie of 2013.