Awoo.

Unannouncend Pikachu Game in the works: Pikachu - 1998-2013

Tails spin

So this will be a game that will change Pikachu. Many think that it will be the reveal of Mega Pikachu.

The following info comes from a feature focusing on Tsunekazu Ishihara, the president of the Pokemon Company.

- he will appear on Japanese TV on October 28th
- mentions an unprecedented game whose development started this Summer
- the game is said to change Pikachu
- Ishihara is worried about how the change will affect Pikachu's popularity

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=214040

Thoughts?

Who wants to bet the "big change" is making him fat and mouse-ish again. :v

Though honestly forget Pikachu where's my Raichu game

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't even begin to understand what this thread's about.

If Mega Pikachu's a thing, then fuck everything.

Who wants to bet the "big change" is making him fat and mouse-ish again. :v

Though honestly forget Pikachu where's my Raichu game

I had the same thought that he would go back to being fat

I honestly can't think of a single thing that would change Pikachu in a way that would effect it's popularity, negatively or positively. Mega Pikachu would probably have the opposite of it's intended effect among people who already don't like it, so I guess that could be it, but I doubt it.

As a fan of it (and Electric types in general)...I'm interested, I guess? We'll see.

What's not to understand. The president of the Pokémon Company says Pikachu is getting a game that will change him. He is afraid that this change will affect its popularity. Its not that complex. 

Also why would they introduce Mega Pikachu in an unprecedented game instead of X&Y? If they wanted to do it, it'd be in the mainstream game that's introducing that mechanic.

It's Happening guys

mega_pikachu_by_marix20-d6hrlsg.png

Mega Pikachu!

• Thumbs Up 5

I am not really getting that it is a Pikachu specific game so much as its just a game that has a change to Pikachu in it. I wonder if it is simply an evolution for Pikachu that doesn't require a stone of any kind?

Actually I'm moreso betting that Pikachu either gets a Mega-evolution or another evolution that further pushes Raichu into irrelevance ( I mean they already designed that Dedenne pokmin to look just like him, as if they don't remember Raichu existed..)

I like Raichu a lot okay and Nintendo doesn't

• Thumbs Up 9

I feel like I'm outside of this big glass box looking in.

So there's a Pikachu game.

And it's going to change Pikachu, a species.

And this change is going to be so drastic that it's worrying dudeman mcwhoever that Pikachu, again, a species, will no longer be popular?

And everyone thinks it's going to be Mega Pikachu?

Who would, logically, appear in a game that comes out this Saturday.

So they're going to reveal something that will have already been out for months.  Maybe more.

Okay.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe the Mega Stone needed to transform Pikachu is exclusive as a download event-only.

eh.

• Thumbs Up 1

*cough*

Minun_46606.png

Plusle_46599.png

pachirisu.jpg

220px-587Emolga.png

250px-Dedenne.png

All these, to me at least, have felt like knock-off Pikachu clones as a desperate attempt to *get ready for pun* spark another popular pulse that Pikachu naturally gives off with like, the entirety of planet Earth. Ultimately? They all seem to fall under the "we don't give fucks" (or at least for long at the least) category.

So what I'm trying to get at with all this is, physically, unless they're pulling a really over-hyped slight redesign, I can't see a major change to Pikachu that'll rock the world in such a way that will change history forever.

Honestly I'm just expecting it to suddenly be able to speak English/Japanese like many other Pokemon seem to do now in the anime at least.

A Pikachu show that features it and all its rip-off incarnations, and pichu and Raichu. At the end of the show they all combine into one giant mega Pikachu!

It would certainly be helpful if they'd went into a little more detail.  Why even announce something if you're not yet entitled to reveal anything other than hints so vague that we're left with almost no news at all by the end of the day?

I don't think I expect it to be Mega Pikachu, though.  For one, it makes no sense because Pikachu is not the final evolution, and as far as I'm aware, Mega Evolutions have only been given to the final entity in a Pokémon's evolutionary line.  Second, there's no logical reason that they would introduce Mega Pikachu in a separate game as opposed to X/Y.

What I'm led to believe is that they're not referring to changing Pikachu as a species or introducing new stages in a Pikachu's evolutionary line, but changing the way Pikachu is perceived.  Perhaps they're straying from the typical Pokémon flair in terms of tone, story, and gameplay mechanics?  Worst cast scenario, we get Pikachu's Bad Fur Day, but I'm positive that's not going to be the case.

Alternatively, the thought came to me that perhaps they're making a game whereby Pokémon--starting with Pikachu--exhibit more animal-like qualities.  Part of Pikachu's appeal with younger children is the squeaky voice and the way Pokémon communicate by speaking their names. (Which is really odd, come to think of it)  Perhaps they're afraid that a game where Pokémon act more like real animals won't be well received?

Something that will change Pikachu as we know it, eh?

*crosses fingers for Grand Theft Auto V version with Pikachu download*

This TV appearance wouldn't necessarily be the announcement, merely a retrospective comment on the decision (if Mega Pikachu is revealed in X/Y) or even a promotional appearance for an announcement to be made later (if it's a separate game we don't know about yet).  It's unclear to me how major this event is meant to be; right now it sounds like a guest appearance of some sort.

Mega Pikachu is an interesting conundrum.  Do I think they'd do it?  Quite possibly.  Mega Evolutions are partly popularity-based, and Pikachu is the most popular Pokemon.  However, there is a presupposition that a Mega Evolution will be more popular than its predecessor by making them cooler, stronger - but how do you make Pikachu more Pikachu than it already is?  Maybe turn away from the cuteness aspect and instead go for something cooler or perhaps nobler rather than trying to complete on cuteness?  Since, y'know, that never worked with Plusle, Minun, Pachirisu and Emolga, which scarcely have their own identity at all (unlike Marill).  You'd also have to make it viable as a fighter on its own without having to evolve it into Raichu... which I agree would marginalise Raichu, but Raichu is already marginalised.  Unless they made it so that Raichu could also Mega Evolve into Mega Pikachu... or even give Raichu a separate Mega Evolution and treat the two as alternatives rather than one superceding the other (like the X and Y Charizards and Mewtwos).   It's a really interesting problem to work on.

I'm reminded of some other comments I saw the other day, from Iwata, I think, about how when the first Pokemon games were being localised there was a suggestion on the western side that, since westerners don't like cute monsters, Pikachu could be made "muscly."  This strikes me as a pretty ironic comment for him to have made if Mega Pikachu was coming along soon.

Edit: Siliconera got a different memo than the rest of us.  According to them, it's definitely a separate game, starring "a boy who takes on the world using "playfulness" as a weapon", and the worry is less about the change and more about damaging Pikachu's reputation if the game isn't good.  So if that's the case: No Mega Pikachu.  (Or at least, no new evidence for one, anyway.)

Edited by FFWF

Siliconera's report on the news is actually somewhat interesting, because they imply that what he actually said was that his worries are less to do with what they're changing and more to do with the quality of the game.

Pokémon X and Pokémon Y are just around the corner and soon fans will be able to step into the series’ sixth generation. Meanwhile, The Pokémon Company already have another game in the works that will revolve around the franchise’s most iconic character, Pikachu.

In a recent producer’s summary on NHK, they summarize the immense popularity of the Pokémon franchise that boasts a total sales figure of 4 trillion yen (roughly $41 billion) from all of the Pokémon goods, anime series, movies, and games.

Additionally, it was revealed by Pokémon producer and CEO of The Pokémon Company Tsunekazu Ishihara, that development began on a new game this summer, that will feature Pikachu.

While having a game based on Pikachu may seem like a win-win situation for the company and the players, Ishihara fears that if they don’t do a good job, it could possibly hurt the popularity of the long-loved electric rodent.

According to the producer, the game will be about a boy who takes on the world using “playfulness” as a weapon.

Honestly, you know what would really change things up? Make a Pokemon game set decades or even hundreds of years before the 'main' titles, before the Pokemon League and even stuff like Pokeballs, see what the world was like back then.