Awoo.

Damn Fine Coffee

iDEATH

With all of the pizza, burger, snacks, candy, soda and beer topics we've had lately I think it's about time we gather together and showcase out love of the true king of beverages. Coffee.

I've had a love affair with coffee going back to my teens, started drinking it when I was about 14-15, when I started I'd take cappuccinos mostly though regular white coffee would suit me in a pinch. Since the age of sixteen or so however, it's been nothing but pure black coffee for me.

Coffee hasn't always been kind to me, when I first started college it wasn't uncommon to see me with around eight empty cups stacked around my desk. Eight cups in the usual 9-4 school day got to be really bad though and one day I had to stop work because my hand was shaking and I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. since then I've tried to cut down but still take at least two cups a day, going up to four or five if I'm in the house on a day off with nothing to do.

I prefer real, ground coffee to instant of course. I take it as strong as I can get it so if i'm buying real coffee, I'll try to go for a dark french roast if I can find it.

Also splashed out once and treated myself to some David Lynch coffee (yes you read that right, David Lynch has his own coffee brand.) and found it to be delicious. I liked it so much that I made my own ad for it in a Uni project

These days, I'm finding it too much of a chore to wait for real coffee to stew in the mornings (even worseif you grind the beans yourself which I did with the lynch coffee, that just takes forever) so I pretty much only drink milicano now.

Millicano.png

It's about the closest you can get to the taste of real coffee if you're using instant. it's not as good as the real stuff but it's close enough that it's worth drinking if it means skipping over the hassle of making real coffee.

As for coffee's I'd like to try, well, in a similar style to David Lynch, Rob zombie also has his own brand that i'd like to try.

zomb-mnn_1.jpg

And there's also that stuff you can get where the beans have been partially digested by weasils and vomited back up. It sounds totally disgusting but....yeah....I'd totally try it (if it weren't for the insanely high price).

You can also get stuff that's picked out of monkey poop too but, I think i'll wait to see how the weasil vom tastes first tongue.png

41R3781HJTL._SY355_.jpg

So that's me, I know there's gotta be a bunch of coffee drinkers round here, what are your favourite styles/brands etc.

• Thumbs Up 5

I enjoy drinking coffee, but I don't really do it too often since I don't own a coffee-maker and Starbucks gets to be fairly expensive (though I do love the flavors they have, pumpkin spice and peppermint being my favorite). Outside of s-bucks, I'm pretty fond of anything with a mocha or vanilla flavoring since I'm not too big a fan of bitterness, in coffee at least, since I'll eat dark chocolate with 80% cocoa. I'm always willing to try new flavors though.

:-X Don't like coffee and I can't stand the smell of it. I hate when I'm at work and someone brings their coffee in with them and put it on my counter while I serve them. I don't think I could afford it even if I did like it, especially not the branded stuff. It's well overpriced compared to tea. 

:-X Don't like coffee and I can't stand the smell of it. I hate when I'm at work and someone brings their coffee in with them and put it on my counter while I serve them. I don't think I could afford it even if I did like it, especially not the branded stuff. It's well overpriced compared to tea. 

yeah it can be a pretty expensive habit. That's another good thing about Milicano, while it's pricey, most supermarkets have it on offer fairly regularly.

Edit: but how can you not like the smell? .....dat smell

Smell.gif

Edited by Jake Bird

Coffee doesn't really taste nice, but it wakes me up in the morning so I love it. When I think of coffee I always remember the famous Gold Blend adverts with Anthony Head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgR6u7mULHk

This might be my favorite topicwub.png . Seriouslymellow.png . I love coffee. As seen in my first chip comic (check out my profile to see it.). 

Theres just something nice about going to a cafe and smelling the beans brewing. Sadly I cant have a lot of caffeine since it keeps me up at night so I only drink decaf. My favorite drink is the iced decaf hazelnut latte from Coffee Bean. It has a nice smooth taste and is not too sweet. 

I recently found out about a great place called Bad Ass Coffee. Its a chain of coffee shops that began in hawaii but now are opening up around the rest of the US. I know the name is odd but they make some darn good coffee. Plus its a lot cheaper than other places. What I like about Bad Ass is that they have many unique flavors to try out like coconut, or maple coffee. Plus several more flavors. Their tropical tea is good too.

And get this, they already have their Holiday drinks out !!!! WHoo Hooo! So if there is a bad ass near you (the cafe, not a jerk) then it is worth checking out.

cofeek2_zps4f2f5d49.jpeg

I only drink cappuccino/iced coffee. Other than that, I stick to energy drinks, which I understand they aren't healthy at all, but who cares.

They just taste good, especially the regular and low carb monster energy drinks.

Another reason I don't drink much coffee is cause I'm in it for the taste, not the buzz. (I know this contradicts my love for energy drinks, but, meh...) Most coffee I've tried has a bitter taste to it, other than stuff like french vanilla cappuccinos, some brands of iced coffee, and the like.

Oh, and unnecessarily over-creamed coffee, extra sugar.

This might be my favorite topicwub.png . Seriouslymellow.png . I love coffee. As seen in my first chip comic (check out my profile to see it.). 

Theres just something nice about going to a cafe and smelling the beans brewing. Sadly I cant have a lot of caffeine since it keeps me up at night so I only drink decaf. My favorite drink is the iced decaf hazelnut latte from Coffee Bean. It has a nice smooth taste and is not too sweet. 

I recently found out about a great place called Bad Ass Coffee. Its a chain of coffee shops that began in hawaii but now are opening up around the rest of the US. I know the name is odd but they make some darn good coffee. Plus its a lot cheaper than other places. What I like about Bad Ass is that they have many unique flavors to try out like coconut, or maple coffee. Plus several more flavors. Their tropical tea is good too.

And get this, they already have their Holiday drinks out !!!! WHoo Hooo! So if there is a bad ass near you (the cafe, not a jerk) then it is worth checking out.

cofeek2_zps4f2f5d49.jpeg

Sounds like an awesomeplace to try out. I'm usually not that big on flavoured coffees or anything too fancy. <wanker> I prefer the simply elegence and purity of asimple black coffee </wanker>

That said though, I'll try aflavoured coffee every nowand then if it's something interesting that you don't get often so I'd definitly give some of their stuff a go. Hopefully one or two might open across the pond some day.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, I don't really like normal coffee. I don't HATE it, but eh. Maybe I just haven't had the right flavour or whatever yet? I dunno.

Now, iced coffee, that's the stuff! Aside from the obvious Tim Hortons Iced Cap(puccinos), there's a little coffee place in town that makes great iced cappuccinos. Mmmmm~

thumb_icedcapp.jpg

sure is Canadian in this post

I reeeeeeally hate the taste of coffee, but it smells absolutely heavenly.

I wouldn't be above brewing a cup every morning just for that smell.

Edited by Cola

I've gotten a much stronger love for coffee in recent years.  I don't care about super strong stuff, I like it light but flavourful.  Lattés are my go to drink, with Costa being my favourite chain branch of coffee.  I really want to get a proper coffee machine someday because instant coffee just never hits the spot for me.  Even when I find a brand I really like it just feels so dead compared to filter coffee or espresso based drinks like Latté.

I just wanna say if anyone else here tried or is trying to learn to like coffees via Mocha -stop!  I used to drink Mochas all the time as a teenager thinking chocolate coffee would be a cool way to ease me into the bitter taste of coffee, but I still found myself having to load them up with sugar.  I recently had a Mocha for a change of pace and it was so bitter!  I heartily recommend skipping the middleman and just trying Latté.  It's creamier than Cappuccino, which I also find too bitter to drink without sugar.

As an odd aside... I really really like Subway's Lattés.  I wouldn't have thought they'd even be nice, but they're really good.

My overally favourite Latté I had recently though was at the Food Fair in my local town, from a company called Luigi Bean.  It had SUCH a strong coffee punch but was still really creamy.  I'd liken it to having a generous heap of sour cream on a super spicy chilli.  The punch of strong coffee was all there but the mildness perfectly counteracted it so it wasn't bitter.  Tragically they are a travelling company who only cater to events such as festivals and food fairs, they have no home base...  Maybe I could become a coffee groupie.

I reeeeeeally hate the taste of coffee, but it smells absolutely heavenly.

I wouldn't be above brewing a cup every morning just for that smell.

As an interesting fact (learned from QI), human tongues are unable to detect all the flavours of the coffee bean.  This is why it smells so good yet tastes so bitter!

Edited by JezMM

I've gotten a much stronger love for coffee in recent years.  I don't care about super strong stuff, I like it light but flavourful.  Lattés are my go to drink, with Costa being my favourite chain branch of coffee.  I really want to get a proper coffee machine someday because instant coffee just never hits the spot for me.  Even when I find a brand I really like it just feels so dead compared to filter coffee or espresso based drinks like Latté.

I just wanna say if anyone else here tried or is trying to learn to like coffees via Mocha -stop!  I used to drink Mochas all the time as a teenager thinking chocolate coffee would be a cool way to ease me into the bitter taste of coffee, but I still found myself having to load them up with sugar.  I recently had a Mocha for a change of pace and it was so bitter!  I heartily recommend skipping the middleman and just trying Latté.  It's creamier than Cappuccino, which I also find too bitter to drink without sugar.

As an odd aside... I really really like Subway's Lattés.  I wouldn't have thought they'd even be nice, but they're really good.

My overally favourite Latté I had recently though was at the Food Fair in my local town, from a company called Luigi Bean.  It had SUCH a strong coffee punch but was still really creamy.  I'd liken it to having a generous heap of sour cream on a super spicy chilli.  The punch of strong coffee was all there but the mildness perfectly counteracted it so it wasn't bitter.  Tragically they are a travelling company who only cater to events such as festivals and food fairs, they have no home base...  Maybe I could become a coffee groupie.

As an interesting fact (learned from QI), human tongues are unable to detect all the flavours of the coffee bean.  This is why it smells so good yet tastes so bitter!

Meh, if I ever feel like it, I MIIIGHT try a Latte. Couldn't be anywhere near as bad as those juice things I tried from Starbucks. BTW, avoid those "refreshing" juices up on the menu in Starbucks. They taste awful.

Edited by Wonder-ED (Missile)

Lattés are also the most compatible with flavour shots so I recommend those.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if you don't at least vaguely enjoy a Hazelnut Latté you probably just drank it wrong or something.

Edited by JezMM

Lattés are also the most compatible with flavour shots so I recommend those.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if you don't at least vaguely enjoy a Hazelnut Latté you probably just drank it wrong or something.

Well like I said, I've never drank coffee, so I doubt Hazelnut Latte will make my brain shut down from agony or anything.

I actually recently bought a pump espresso machine so that I could make my own. I was sick of Starbucks charging way too much for a cup of coffee. 

If you grind your own beans and make it yourself, it's cheaper and it tastes better since you can tweak your coffee and make the drink your own, instead of Starbucks using their automatic machines that have the same result every time.

If you get a really good shot of espresso, it's not nearly as bitter as other coffee; it's more creamy and rich.

I only drink my coffee creamed or with milk. I absolutely hate the taste of normal coffee. Anyone else feel the same way?

I only drink my coffee creamed or with milk. I absolutely hate the taste of normal coffee. Anyone else feel the same way?

Yeah, I like my coffee to at least have milk. Its too bitter for me otherwise. But everyones tastes are different. Theres no right or wrong way to have a drink.

When it comes to drinks, It all comes down to the taste for me... And I've never liked coffee because of that. Yeah, it's helpful to keep you awake, and I might drink some if I need to... Though even then, the caffeine really doesn't do much. 

Iced coffee on the other hand... Put enough whipped cream in it, and I'll happily take some.

• Thumbs Up 1

With 11th year and everything, I don't really go to bed all that early, and I find myself getting really tired in the morning to the point where I will probably be half-awake in my first period class. I normally get to school 5 minutes before the '5 minutes left' bell rings, so I don't have much time to head over to the lunch room and get a mocha or something. But, in the case that I do wake up early enough and get to school somewhat earlier than usual, I will buy a mocha from the lunch room, and it keeps me more awake than usual in 1st hour, which is probably a good thing since 1st hour is also Stats class, which is not the best class to be half-dozing off in.

Coffee

I love coffee.

I like it with cream and sugar.

I also like it with some chocolate or caramel.

I especially like it with pumpkin spice.

Espresso is also nice.

Hot or with ice.

So nice.

Those fancy espresso drinks used to intimidate me, but I got over it once I started making them myself. I made lattes at an old job of mine once, I was a barista, actually. Making fancy espresso drinks was really fun... and it was great when I was able to taste 'em myself! 

Nothing really intelligent or valuable to contribute here besides me just liking coffee. Coffee n' jazz music.

Nice.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 2

I normally don't drink coffee.

But goddamn, iced coffee is the nectar of the gods.  

What's that?  Free food for working here you say fast food place?

Oh nonononono, food just won't do.  Even your probably shitty iced coffee is better than almost anything out there.

Yes, make it a large.  Why would you even ask that?

Edited by Wonder Nix
  • Thumbs Up 1