Awoo.

Damn Fine Coffee

iDEATH

I only started getting into coffee around a year or so ago. I absolutely despise the taste of normal coffee, but fill half the cup with milk and sugar, and it's pretty darn palatable. Thankfully I don't need it to wake up in the morning, and I've no intention of ever becoming reliant on it.

Makes for a nice warm beverage on a cold day, though.

Oh boy coffee, I used to drink the chocolate Frapachino's from Starbucks like once in a blue moon, these days I stick to a mocha, to be honest I don't really drink coffee, because why become dependant on something to wake me up when I'll just crash hours later, that's my stance on it at least.

As an odd aside... I really really like Subway's Lattés.  I wouldn't have thought they'd even be nice, but they're really good.

I get a black coffee from the subway next door to my work if I'm a little early. It's really weird. The first and last third of the cup are utterly repugnant but the middle of the cup is absolutely delicious. They're big cups, so for the £1 it costs it's worth getting just for that third instead of drinking the swill that's available in my work. It's just weird that it seems to happen all the time. Every time I get it, it's Yuck, Yum, Yuck.

....can't explain it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I pretty much drink coffee on a daily basis. So much over the years that the taste is no longer a factor for me, even if it's black. For me it's my wake-up drink, productivity drink, and a general mood-raiser/stabilizer. Pretty much a comfort-drink if I'm honest, and something that I don't think I could just up and quit anytime soon if I don't have to, I'm pretty much hooked. I try to keep it to 2 cups a day though, as I'm well aware of my personal limits now compared to the past where I'd go a little crazy. I'm not too fussy over what goes in it, though I do like a fancy Starbucks frappuccino from time to time if I wanna feel fancy.

Edited by Infernal Ferno
  • Thumbs Up 2

Fall is my favorite season, and I think coffee is a part of why I like fall so much. Its when the good flavors start to come out at places. Some flavors that I wish were out year round. But I guess the fact that they are temporary makes people want them. Plus holiday drinks always makes the season less stressful. Whenever my sisters drag me to black friday shopping (oh the horrors) we end that stressful time by going to get some coffee. Were so different that coffee and disney are some of the few things we agree ontongue.png . 

Well actually, now that I think about it, I have on occasions grabbed from Starbucks a caffeine free Frappuccino. (not sure if it counts since it's caffeine free.) Man those are amazing! Chocolate or Vanilla normally are my go-to picks. But that's probably the heaviest I'll go.:P

Christmas brings some of my favourite coffee flavours.  Though some places do Gingerbread Lattés all year round they're so popular.

Well actually, now that I think about it, I have on occasions grabbed from Starbucks a caffeine free Frappuccino. (not sure if it counts since it's caffeine free.) Man those are amazing! Chocolate or Vanilla normally are my go-to picks. But that's probably the heaviest I'll go.tongue.png

I think Decaf counts. Thats what I drink and I still find some nice kinds of coffee to try. Theres a lot of varieties of decaf lattes if you look in the right places.

I found out that many coffee places has secret menus. Ive never tried anything from a secret menu but I hear its good. Some of the places include coffee bean, starbucks, and disneyland. I rarely go to disney land but my family is obsessed with the place so I always find out odd information about it. There is something called zebra hot chocolate on the menu which can also come in a mocha. Its dark and white chocolate mixed together. Apparently disneyland is getting rid of some of its coffee places to put starbucks in the parks. I hear there is one in California adventure already. But people are getting mad that the old coffee shops including its secret menus is going to be gone. But who knows, maybe people will make such a fuss about it that they will keep the secret menu. Ive never been to walt disney world, but I am sure that place is full of coffee secret menus. So for those coffee folk deciding to go visit Mickey Mouse the secret menus should be kept in mind. 

So if you want to see if your favorite coffee place has a secret menu just search for it on the internet. 

Edited by Neon The Hedgehog

• 1 month later...

I'm a Caffeine freak that always has to get their good daily amount to stay awake and energized, but I generally prefer Soda, mainly Diet and Regular Coke. I'll never turn down a good Frappe from Starbucks though, and iced Coffee is always my preference. 

This is my current favourite instant stuff:

iie2.jpg

Discovered it a few weeks back and... just yeah it's super smooth and nice, and not too bitter to drink unsweetened either when I put in a large dash of milk as per my preference.

I also tried making myself a poor man's latté by microwaving milk and then adding a spoonful of coffee but it wasn't worth the effort.  And drinking a whole mug of milk is pretty fattening I assume anyway.

Right now I have begun my yearly quest to try every fancy christmas coffee/hot chocolate at Costa.  Their Gingerbread and Cream one was super nice but the gingerbread flavour was very subtle and the cream flavour was very not subtle.  You do however get a tiny little gingerbread man sitting in the whipped cream on top and it's adorable.

Edited by JezMM

WHAT A COINCIDENCE, I'M MAKING COFFEE RIGHT NOW HAHA.

I love coffee. I really really really love coffee. I usually drink a capp a day minimum, or a macchiato when I want to go less on the milk.

Due to having an espresso machine at home I got way into grinding, drinking and enjoying coffee even with me using my own somewhat ghetto methods. I really think espresso is pretty much the best. I got a french press and whilst the process is pretty easy especially with me being as lazy as I am I don't think the flavour is anywhere near as good. It's a decent enough replacement if your don't have the time or money for a proper espresso set up though.

I also tried making myself a poor man's latté by microwaving milk and then adding a spoonful of coffee but it wasn't worth the effort.  And drinking a whole mug of milk is pretty fattening I assume anyway.

Then put 1/3 water+coffee (preferably a shot of espresso, but instant will kinda work) 2/3 steamed milk. Better than microwaving anyway.

Coffee is one of those things that I know I'd likely develop a taste for if was made to my exact specifications. I have developed a taste for things that I used to strongly dislike, probably because of a maturing palette and I think coffee would be one of those things. Maybe I'll visit Costa next time I'm in town and see what kind of interesting coffee's they offer if I can pull myself away from Jamba's juice counter.

White chocolate or mint-flavoured coffee's are intriguing.

Coffee is like crack except legal and harmless!

I can't function without it!

Unfortunately, sometimes I go overboard and stay up till 7 AM before going to sleep, fucking up my sleep schedule and making me a grouchy asshole towards anyone who wakes me up for no reason to the point where I accidentally threw my alarm clock near my sister one time for coming to wake me up for no good reason at all.

Did I forget to mention how hyper it can make me with all that sugar?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I drink coffee about as often as a I drink alcohol...which is never. 

Seriously, can't stand the stuff. Even in chocolates and other sweets, I can barely take coffee flavoured ones. It's strange because I actually like tea. 

I like coffee smells, I like coffee flavoured sweets, I just...can't drink coffee.

It gives me such a bad stomach ache, I must be sensitive to caffeine at that high a level as I can drink green tea fine but normal tea is a bit meh, then you get coffee...

WHAT A COINCIDENCE, I'M MAKING COFFEE RIGHT NOW HAHA.

I love coffee. I really really really love coffee. I usually drink a capp a day minimum, or a macchiato when I want to go less on the milk.

Due to having an espresso machine at home I got way into grinding, drinking and enjoying coffee even with me using my own somewhat ghetto methods. I really think espresso is pretty much the best. I got a french press and whilst the process is pretty easy especially with me being as lazy as I am I don't think the flavour is anywhere near as good. It's a decent enough replacement if your don't have the time or money for a proper espresso set up though.

Then put 1/3 water+coffee (preferably a shot of espresso, but instant will kinda work) 2/3 steamed milk. Better than microwaving anyway.

I'm thinking of maybe getting a milk frother for christmas.  =D  We have a stove top espresso maker already so when I put the effort in I should be able to make something nummy.  I need to find a shop that sells interesting flavourings though, my local supermarket only does vanilla and caramel syrup, neither of which are favourites of mine, nice as they are.

Coffee is one of those things that I know I'd likely develop a taste for if was made to my exact specifications. I have developed a taste for things that I used to strongly dislike, probably because of a maturing palette and I think coffee would be one of those things. Maybe I'll visit Costa next time I'm in town and see what kind of interesting coffee's they offer if I can pull myself away from Jamba's juice counter.

White chocolate or mint-flavoured coffee's are intriguing.

I'm pretty sure I've yelled this at a couple of people in this topic already who are interested in trying coffee but want a good entry-level drink but - speciality Lattés, especially Hazelnut, are the bomb IMO.  Costa is also my (and apparently the nation's according to a sign outside my local) favourite branch so thumbs up from me there.  They also have several christmassy ones going on right now including Chocolate Orange and Gingerbread.

Edited by JezMM

I drink coffee about as often as a I drink alcohol...which is never. 

Seriously, can't stand the stuff. Even in chocolates and other sweets, I can barely take coffee flavoured ones. It's strange because I actually like tea. 

You don't know what you missin', girl!

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I love coffee! I started drinking it regularly when I was about 16 having 3 or 4 cups a day. I would get up early for school in the morning, play some Nintendo 64 while having a coffee (Nescafe Blend 43) and then when I'd get to school there were these coffee vending machines that were actually pretty good and I used to put car wash tokens in them as they were accepted into the machine as a $2 coin. Then I'd take my coffee to class and explain to most teachers who said that coffee wasn't allowed in class that if they had one sitting on their desk then there was no reason that I wasn't allowed one on mine. 

Nowadays I have about 2 cups a day but I very much look forward to those! Whenever a friend asks me to go out for coffee I hardly ever say no. It's not just about the coffee either. Sitting down with someone in a cafe or a coffee shop, being social and having a good cup of coffee is really just one of my favourite things to do!

My favourite coffee is from a chain here in Australia called Jamaica Blue. I'm not sure how global it is but if you have it in your country I recommend it! I also love Michels. I hate Starbucks and Gloria Jeans. 

For those who aren't fond of coffee I'd advise making your own brew at home and buying out. Even a cup from a fast food place or even a convenience store is going to be more refined that what can be done with simple household equipment. If you're looking for the energy rush try it again, you'll find something eventually. I strongly recommend espressos for those who still feel otherwise, all the caffeine in a smaller and quicker serving.

Nevertheless coffee is an acquired taste. Drank it regularly though it became a daily thing when I was 10 and hit Junior High and dealt with a lot of bullshit that attributed to stress. It was a way to take a breather from my long commute on transit, assignments. social crap, and other issues I faced. Ironically enough when these problems ended in High School I slowed down with the coffee.

Now, I don't drink coffee as much as I used to, mainly due to the fact that my coffee maker went to shit and my espresso machine crapped out and I'm not justifying a purchase of new stuff, as well as the fact that I can't seem to find a good standard stove top instant coffee, Folgers is bad but man that Maxwell House shit is horrid.  When I do get the chance to get my hands on the stuff it's usually bought from elsewhere. As far as chains go anywhere that serves Seattles Best is a go to and good in my book.

In addition I like to support my local independent coffee shops and have located at least a handful in my nearby towns. There's this radical place close to me that has the best stuff around, from Espressos to Lattes to Cappuccinos and all else in between (smoothies, teas, even a sizable lunch menu). All around nice place to visit: http://www.back2thegrind.com/

Nevertheless coffee is an acquired taste. Drank it regularly though it became a daily thing when I was 10 and hit Junior High and dealt with a lot of bullshit that attributed to stress. It was a way to take a breather from my long commute on transit, assignments. social crap, and other issues I faced. Ironically enough when these problems ended in High School I slowed down with the coffee.

Man, and I thought I was starting young drinking it around 14/15! That's crazy young. I think 10 yr old me would have probably never got past the bitterness.