Awoo.

I need a helpful opinion.

ﮎђađíққú

I've pretty much standed my ground on playing the original Sonic games, (Genesis), Sonic CD, R..etc." But I've found myself pondering about the "Newer-ish games, besides Sonic Heroes I beat the arse out of that one.  :P But I'm pretty much limited to PC at the moment, but I was wondering if you guys could steer me to a good Sonic game for PC I could play, I really could use the input cause I looked on google, forums etc.. and I have NO IDEA where to even start.

Please and thank you,

-Shadikku.

Well, if you're in search of a good Sonic game, then you should considering purchasing Sonic Generations on Steam. As someone who has done so on Day 1 of its release, I can safely say that it's a pretty great game, especially with the multitudes of mods available for it.

• Thumbs Up 2

If you didn't play the adventure games, (and if you can get them on steam,) I would highly recommend those! they are my favorites!

Sonic Adventure is a classic, and Sonic adventure 2 was a real fun game too :D

Sonic Generations, as the others above me have said.

Alternatively, if you don't mind the glitches, Sonic Adventure DX and SA2 go for under $10 on Steam.  It's hard to recommend those games when neither of them have aged particularly well though.

Alright, before I recommend Sonic Generations like everyone before me, I just have one question to ask you:

How powerful is your PC? If your computer does not have a decent graphics card or processor, running Sonic Generations may not be possible. If not, a good alternative choice would be Sonic Adventure DX. That game may not have aged well, but it's a pretty fun adventure that you can get very cheap on Steam, or if you are adventurous, you could track down the original PC version that was on CD.

But assuming your PC is capable (download a demo of Sonic Generations and start from the lowest resolution and graphics settings just to be sure), Sonic Generations is a great entry into the Modern Sonic era of games. Aside from that, in my opinion, you can't go wrong with Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.

Also, Sonic 4 Episodes 1 and 2 are available on Steam, for what it's worth.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eeeyup, I'd easily say Sonic Generations. You can find it on Steam and it's definitely worth a shot. Mixed together classic and modern Sonic very well.

Alright, before I recommend Sonic Generations like everyone before me, I just have one question to ask you:

How powerful is your PC? If your computer does not have a decent graphics card or processor, running Sonic Generations may not be possible. If not, a good alternative choice would be Sonic Adventure DX. That game may not have aged well, but it's a pretty fun adventure that you can get very cheap on Steam, or if you are adventurous, you could track down the original PC version that was on CD.

But assuming your PC is capable (download a demo of Sonic Generations and start from the lowest resolution and graphics settings just to be sure), Sonic Generations is a great entry into the Modern Sonic era of games. Aside from that, in my opinion, you can't go wrong with Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.

Also, Sonic 4 Episodes 1 and 2 are available on Steam, for what it's worth.

Well.. I have 2.20GHz Dual Core AMD, 4GB of Ram, 2GB ATi Raedon HD4200 Video 250GB SSD. So I think I won't have much lag if any.. and I don't have steam. But I buy them online if need be.

So many decisions, Like what should I play first.

Generations is an automatic suggestion, but I'd also recommend Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Adventure 2. You can find 'em all on Steam.

I will say Sonic Generations, as well. It takes you throughout Sonic's history of gameplay, abilities and levels, giving you a little bit of everything up to this point. After playing that game, you might start getting a better interest in other Sonic games. For instance, I have never played Sonic Unleashed, but I know the Rooftop zone (or what it was called) from Sonic Generations really makes me want to play that game now. The music, the view, the very atmosphere. It takes a small piece of many games and feeds them into a Sonic historical experience.

You should also try Sonic Adventure DX. You get to play as many different characters, and each and every story forms the complete picture.

• Thumbs Up 1

If your computer is capable, then go for Sonic Generations. That's kind of the best option right now.

Go ahead and get a Steam account; there are tons of great games on there!

I don't think I've ever heard about Xfire.

Steam has a large install base. And the accounts are free.

And the sales.

THE SALES.

It's worth getting a Steam account.

I'll have to think about that. :P

Thank you, everyone. (:

I will watch trailers of these games and compare. :3

• Thumbs Up 1

Echoing pretty much everyone else, you should first get Steam (free account and big sales everywhere. There's even a Weeklong Deal right now that selects a bunch of different games each Monday!) and then give the Sonic Generations demo a try. If you can run it, jump on it if you have the money. Not only do you have some pretty great gameplay all on it's own, there's dozens of mods everywhere that really extend the playability options out. Want to play the whole of Sonic Unleashed's daytime/Sonic stages in a better engine without the Werehog gameplay? Or play in new versions of Emerald Coast and Mystic Ruins from Sonic Adventure? Or play as Tails with a flying boost? Or play as Modern and Classic Sonic in each other's levels? Or even play as a slower Modern Sonic with tighter controls that make platforming a cakewalk? It's a huge playground of things to do, and it all just uses a simple mod loader that you tick boxes on after you download the mods.

I'd also recommend Sonic Adventure 2, even though I'm not into it for the story or anything. If you want to just play a whole bunch of levels with a bunch of different characters already in the game, you can download a complete save file and then use a relatively new mod loader, coupled with a Character Select mod to throw all of the characters, including Metal Sonic from 2 Player mode with his stupidly fast speed and jump height and Eggman (without his mech-walker) from the Chao Garden with almost no means of doing anything, into nearly all of the levels in the game. You can even play as mech-less Eggman in Green Hill! I'd recommend it just for that, above anything.

If you're into kart racing games (Mario Kart, Crash Team Racing, etc) that aren't neccesairily Sonic, I'd hugely recommend Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. Terrific racing game with a producer that hangs around here sometimes, especially with the PC version currently having five extra characters that the other ones don't have. Might prove to be quite challenging if you take on certain events without particular character and in-game mod combinations, but there's still a lot of Sonic and general SEGA fun to be had in there along with it being one of the best racing games out there.

One thing I should mention, (just incase you get SA2) if you don't have an X-input controller for PC, then SA2 will have to be played with a keyboard, or use x360ce to work around that problem. Basically, if you don't have an Xbox 360 controller to hook up to your PC, then it's either keyboard or x360ce to convert a Direct input controller to Xinput.

Just saying cause when I got SA2 for the PC, I had to go through a pretty annoying process of setting up both my D-input controllers for SA2. Afterwords though, it was a blast.

One thing I should mention, (just incase you get SA2) if you don't have an X-input controller for PC, then SA2 will have to be played with a keyboard, or use x360ce to work around that problem. Basically, if you don't have an Xbox 360 controller to hook up to your PC, then it's either keyboard or x360ce to convert a Direct input controller to Xinput.

Just saying cause when I got SA2 for the PC, I had to go through a pretty annoying process of setting up both my D-input controllers for SA2. Afterwords though, it was a blast.

Can you explain this to me as though I were an idiot (because I am) since I have no idea what any of that means and I'd like to know before the day comes where I decide to purchase the Steam versions of SADX and 2?

Can you explain this to me as though I were an idiot (because I am) since I have no idea what any of that means and I'd like to know before the day comes where I decide to purchase the Steam versions of SADX and 2?

Basically, X-input is a form of input that is used for games that are made for both Windows and the Xbox 360 console, and usually work similar to an Xbox 360 controller. D-input, or direct input, is a form of input used elsewhere in games and such, and supports a wider range of PC controllers, such as Logitech, Nyko, or any other brand of generic PC controller. The latter is what I have, both a Logitech dual action, and a Nyko AirFlo.

Also, if you want a more in depth explanation of the two, Microsoft has a page explaining the differences. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee417014(v=vs.85).aspx

Of course, x360ce helps work around this problem by remapping/converting buttons to certain functions related to an Xbox 360 controller.

I have a Xbox 360 "Wired" Controller and Xpadder. Way ahead of you mate. blink.png

Oh, well good, cause I only just realized all this after getting the game. :L

Edited by Newgeneration
  • Thumbs Up 1