Awoo.

Is Sonic Adventure's legacy underrated? (In terms of gameplay)

LOO LOO LOO LOO NYAH NYAH

Well I know dont ignore them, but don't let the bugs define your play experience with the game. Yes it has bugs, but dont let a few bugs make you say, oh this game sucks because there are some bugs in the game. That's rather shallow to turn down a rather fun game just because it isn't perfect. I just see so many people always focus so much on the negative of games and almost totally ignore the positive completely.

Yes, but the fact is; a game shouldn't have bugs up the ass. You shouldn't have to ignore glitches being hurled in your face every 5 seconds. While Adventure was a very early game in the series and there isn't that many game breaking glitches (though some like Sonic suddenly stopping on a wall-running section and dropping in Emerald Coast and Speed Highway piss me off), this kind of thing is a prime example why people hate 06. You could say "look past the glitches", but this is the thing; said glitches shouldn't be there.

And one final note, having to ignore glitches isn't fun. Not at all.

Edited by Yandere Amy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Underrated? If anything its overrated. I tend to enjoy SA2 more, and even then SA2 does have a number of problems. I just think that it fixed several issues in the original SA and is overall an improvement compared to SA. I played SA because the fans promoted it heavily and seemed to think it was the greatest thing ever, but I never really could get into it much. I beat it, and overall didn't find much satisfaction in my purchase.

You need to look past the bugs and enjoy the game for what it is as well though. Try not to dwell on the negative and look to the positive in the game.

If I'm supposed to enjoy the game "for what it is", why are you telling me to look past the bugs? Are they not just as much a part of "what it is" as anything else?
  • Thumbs Up 3

You people do know how stuck up all these responses sound yes?

Oh I can't enjoy this game because there is a bug there. Oh this game isn't good anymore because it isn't like the most recent game. *nose goes into the air*

It just sounds so snobbish to judge a game based on a few flaws like this. I'm a collector and play games all the time and I never let little things like this ruin the experience. I feel so sorry for people that these days  go, oh well that  game is on the Snes, it is obviously garbage and never even try these games. That seems like the case here as well. Because the game has bugs in it, we must treat it like crap.

You people took what I said way out of context as well. I'm not saying just ignore the bugs, but not to let the bugs define your experience. If you are going to run around telling people not to play the game because of some bugs, I feel very sorry for the people you are telling this to. That just makes you sound very shallow to judge a game based off of standards it can't control. I've always hated that term it hasn't aged well. Well that's because you are comparing it to modern standards and that is just wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not stuck up to actually acknowledge the flaws of a game instead of pretending they aren't there.

No one's seeing one little glitch and deciding the game's garbage. No one's seeing the game's from 1999 and immediately declaring it garbage. There are very real problems with some games that get in the way of people enjoying them. Saying people should just ignore those problems and enjoy the game anyway, as if that's somehow a more legitimate way to look at it; that is stuck up.

And if I was going to piss on a game just because it was old or because it had a few bugs, I sure as hell wouldn't consider S3&K the best game in the series.

• Thumbs Up 4

"Looking past the flaws" is only useful advice depending upon a very narrow context of stuffy Internet discussion. For one, if you are enjoying any game, you are always inherently looking past the flaws on account of no game being perfect. Every game out there is flawed, either objectively in terms of programming or subjectively in terms of design, the latter of which we excuse more often than not when we say "Once you get to hour x" or "Once you get used to the controls" or "Once your play it in this mindset" or "Once you get this tutorial/dungeon/mission out of the way, it totally opens up," or any of the other excuses we use to explain why someone should give a niche, problematic or just plain ol' potentially shit product we enjoy a chance. Even under more blatant circumstances where the game in question is totally love-or-hate, there is nothing wrong with enjoying it completely free of the conscious knowledge that it has problems anyway. If I am approaching a game with the mindset of merely wanting enjoying it, and I am enjoying it, tell me why should I always actively concern myself with the flaws if I'm having fun regardless of them, even if I know they're there? Who am I actually taking a stand against by doing this? What am I actually learning? What is Sonic Team losing from me enjoying Sonic Adventure?

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh I can't enjoy this game because there is a bug there. Oh this game isn't good anymore because it isn't like the most recent game. *nose goes into the air*

Do you know how stuck up you sound when you assign a nonexistent form of arrogance when people are just stating their opinion?  No, seriously.

When did we say you couldn't enjoy the game?  Or that it wasn't good anymore just because it wasn't like a recent game?  Never.  Stop putting words in peoples' mouth.

It just sounds so snobbish to judge a game based on a few flaws like this. I'm a collector and play games all the time and I never let little things like this ruin the experience. I feel so sorry for people that these days  go, oh well that  game is on the Snes, it is obviously garbage and never even try these games. That seems like the case here as well. Because the game has bugs in it, we must treat it like crap.

The difference is that a great deal of SNES games have aged beautifully.  Mega Man X, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, all those Capcom-produced Disney games, Kirby Super Star, and the list goes on.  Those are all great games that I'd still recommend to people.  Their gameplay is fluid and solid, even though they're old.  Do they have their fair share of bugs?  Certainly, but they're not nearly as grating or noticeable or SA1's.  Not that I don't enjoy SA1 despite them, but they're definitely visible, and I wouldn't recommend it to someone who has a low tolerance for glitches.  Which, you know, is a large number of people.

I fail to see how giving the game a fair criticism is akin to "treating it like crap."  Most people here have stated they enjoy the game.  I have a high tolerance for glitches and poor gameplay in general.  I love Sonic Adventure.  It's the game the made me a huge Sonic fan.  Not to mention, it's served as the base for all the games as of late.  Being the first game of its kind, of course it's going to having glaring flaws.  Heck, the modern games have some of the same flaws, but they're arguably not nearly as prominent as in SA1.

Also, your argument is pretty much boiled down to "it's shallow to judge a game by its gameplay."  Like... okay.

Edited by Spooky Akita
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well that's because you are comparing it to modern standards and that is just wrong.

No, it isn't actually. That's the whole point in something aging well, when it manages to stand the test of time where even modern standards find it well made. Like the difference between a castle made 100 years ago that's still standing today in great condition or one that's still standing but starting to wear down.

Our standards aren't suppose to stay the same just because the game was made 10 years ago. Nostalgia is one thing, but then there's another thing called "hindsight".

Edited by CreepySpiritSonic

I think the "ignore X" or "Once you beat X the game gets good" mind set is only good for when the game isn't full of bad things or if the tedious part isn't extremely long. For example: You can say "Ignore X" when playing a game if "X" is something like a side mission or something small/optional. 

Also, why was the OP banned? Ban evading?

Also, why was the OP banned? Ban evading?

Given their low post count, I would imagine so...come to think of it, this topic title reminds me of who the ban dodger possibly is, but that's not something to discuss here.

Edited by CreepySpiritSonic

• 2 months later...

I've been looking for this kind of thread to leave my impression on SA2, instead of wasting a thread about it, so here we go:

I gotta say SA2 is the most overrated video game I've ever played.

I've heard so much people saying SA2 is the best 3D Sonic out there and how it should be the model that Sonic Team should use to make a proper 3D Sonic game.

Having heard of SA2 coming on Steam last year, I decided it was time that I experience my first 3D Sonic game, ignoring the fact my PC Gamepad wasn't recognized. With such hope for experiencing a great game, I start the game.

And right off the bat when Sonic starts snowboarding down City Escape/San Fransisco Zone, I notice something bad: the camera.

1387728656-badcamera.png

How am I supposed to see what's ahead of me when Sonic's blocking my view? And that's a problem I have in general: the camera is too freaking low in standart mode.

Just compare to the view you have in Generation on the "same" stage:

1387728966-goodcamera.png

The only thing they could've done is to take the camera just a few units upward.

I have other problems with the camera like when it goes to the right/left in some sequences, which makes me wonder why was this view necessary when the only thing I want the camera to do is to show me what's incoming while taking into account the Character i'm playing as and my suroundings.

Now after that, I notice something extremely infuriating: your score goes back to 0 when you die.

Why.

Why brutally punish the player like that? I wouldn't mind if it lowers the score by percentages, afterall the raking idea is good, but literally destroying all the score you've accumulated during the stage only ot misstep and fall into your doom? Hell no.

Now to the whole "genre roulette" business.

On Sonic/Shadow's gameplay, it's kind of messy. The floaty jump on top of the slow spinning animation makes some sort of placebo effect on me that makes jumping feel both heavy and floaty, making it awkward.

There's also this mentality where each buttons has different purposes and it makessome actions like lightdashing a bit of a chore because you have to be extremely precise on it, or else you'll trigger the rolling attack/bounce bracelet. They could've mapped each different action to their specific buttons but doing so simple in 3D is just a bad idea.

The homing attack can also be a problem. The thing is, its range is kinda short, on both length and height, which got me killed or hit more than once. It doesn't help that enemies drop in front of you a LOT.

I like going fast, but there's 2 big problems: The fact that just slightely moving the joystick to the left/right can send you flying to a 90° angle, and the narrow level design because of all the botomless pits and bad camera angles. Because of this, I was afraid everytime I went fast because there would be a high probability I'd hit something or fall to my death, which would always make me said in my head "Goddamnit Sonic/Shadow, stop going so fast!". And it would help if I could roll to clear my way through enemies, but for that I have to rely on the Spindash, which I don't want to use because, again, I might go too fast and die.

There's also railgrinding which is a good idea, but again I'll restate my fear of "going too fast" from before.

At first Knuckles/Rouge played nicely, but that sentiment quickly turned to annoyance because of the whole Treasure Hunting business. Finding those fucking emeralds is a huge pain in the ass and the fact that asking for clues will lower your score, being only capable of locating one piece at a time and the stages taking too fucking long to complete makes it the worst gameplay I had to experience in this game.

And then there's the shooting stage. Heavy as hell jumping, heavy gun being useful only for crates, painfuly slow turning coupled with a broken momentum each time you do this AND the whole lifebar affair is the second worst this game has thrown to me.

As I said before, the level design is eeeeech. It's just a straight path that sometimes turn and place a loop there and there, a lot of automated moments... and that's it. The bosses aren't that good either. The only ones I got some enjoyment are the Biolizard and Finalhazard.

But I can recognize the good stuff from here. The story enhances the gameplay by making context to bosses and other stuff like these, the multiple story perspective (aside from the genre roulette, forcing you to play as different characters) is interesting and fleshes the story without making it too conveluted in one setting, the lightdash in itself just requires one button to work, trick jumps, railgrinding and the rankign system are good ideas, and Shadow's stage musics are my favourite from the game. Speaking of Shadow, I was expecting the same kind of character we've got in his own game, but I was surprised he was actually decent and is one of the most interesting character of the game.

But yeah... I really wanted to like this game, I really do. And after playing SA1 Sonic, my opinion of the game has gotten worse. How can Sonic Team make something worse overall after SA1 Sonic?

I just hope that now that the game is on PC and a hacking communiy is forming, some fixes will be made on the game, because it deserves more care than it got.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Adventure gameplay was okay. I will copy what I said about them from my review of the game

Sonic's gameplay was very intresting and fun. He had moves like the homing attack and the spindash and it made it very fun and easy to get through the levels. Plus, he was very fast, the way Sonic should be when playing as him. He was a joy to play with.

Tails' gameplay was boring and slow. His Tornado levels were fun however because it fit him. Tails loves to build planes and is good at it and shooting stuff on the Tornado was very intresting. Racing Sonic is okay and it felt good to beat him without running faster than him. They should have him do more plane levels or make him use his tails more.

Knuckles' gameplay was very intresting because I got to climb on the walls. Find the pieces of the master emerald was okay but it going confusing for a while and it got a little boring. I like how you can dig. Maybe have him punch more.

Amy's gameplay was good. I thought the hammer moves were intresting and I was odd that I didn't curl up in a ball but at the same time, I liked it because I felt I was playing a different gameplay than Sonic's. She was slow and I think she should make her (and Tails) a little faster. The levels were easy and I liked it.

Big's fishing at first got me confused and disorianted because of the controls and Froggy was hard to catch. But I understood and I was getting the hang of it. I like these fishing levels. They were a fun game and it was different then “run to the goal and beat up robots”. It was a relaxing gameplay. One thing, they should have made him fight the Chaos 6 instead of just catching the frog but then it was different.

E-102 “y”'s gameplay was my second favorite in this game. I love the shooting and it made the levels fun and intresting. And I was surprised when a robot character was fast. They should make the shooting controls less slippery. More shooting like this in future games!

But in Sonic Adventure 2, I got bored from Shadow. He plays just like Sonic, homing attack and eveything. I know he's the ulimate but in Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, they replace his homing attack with the "chaos attack" which made him more fun to play as.