Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Reviews

Tails spin

I guess its time to start a topic like this.

Famitsu has revealed its review scores for both version of Sonic Lost World

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=214670

Any other reviews are welcomed in this thread.

CVG: Wii U 7/10

Eurogamer: Wii U 4/10

God is a Geek: Wii U 8/10

God is a Geek: 3DS 8/10

from hogfather's post

Wii U Version.

Gametsyde: Favourable

Famitsu: 9/9/9/9

Nintendo World Report: 9

Gamesbeat: 85/100

Games Radar: 4/5

Guardian: 4/5

GameReactor Spain/Norway/Portugal: 8

Digital Spy: 4/5

GameTrailers: 7.6

Destructoid: 7.5

Jeuxvideo: 15/20 (seriously? Out of 20?)

CVG: 7

Gameblog.fr: 3.5/5

Nintendo Life: 7

TheSixthAxis: 7

GameReactor Sweeden/Germany*: 6

Wiitalia: 6

Polygon: 6

IGN: 5.8

Digital Chumps: 5.6

Videogamer: 5

Gamekult: 5

Gameinformer: 5

Gamespot: 5

AnaitGames: 5

Joystiq: 2.5/5

The Escapist: 2.5/5

Edge: 4

EuroGamer: 4

And now for the 3DS version

Famitsu: 8/9/8/9

Wiitalia: 6

GameReactor Spain: 5

NintendoLife: 5

Polygon: 4

AnaitGames: 4

And thats your lot so far

Edited by Dreamy Luigi

Wow, 36/40 (90%) for Wii U and 34/40 (85%) for 3DS? I know they're only the first reviews, and from Famitsu of all places, but still. That's very pleasing :D

• Thumbs Up 3

I suggest we keep 3DS and Wii U under one topic like here. :3

And that is very pleasant, was thinking of getting 3DS instead and sounds like a good idea!

WAY TO SHIT ON THE MOMENT CARBO.

yesyesyes this is good news, even if I don't even really care about reviews other than my own experience with the game, Japan seem to be enjoying the demo right now.

• Thumbs Up 2

WAY TO SHIT ON THE MOMENT CARBO.

But he's right. Even on Gaf they're taking this one with a big pinch of salt.

Famitsu is great for announcements and exclusives... reviews... not so much.

Unfortunately Famitsu reviews really mean jack-shit these days

So... back to worrying?

To be honest, just looking at the scores of one review these days isn't a good idea. Best to look at a few reviews and what is being said and if any of it differs.

Welp, my expectations for a better story went down a bit. Also, I wonder what he means by "half of it sucks".

We already know the animal collecting is just to unlock bonus stages, whereas regular ones unlock by completing the previous one.

So, in that regard, that's hardly frustrating in the same sense Unleashed was.

Also this is just one person's opinion, and you don't have to collect that many animals to unlock the final stage of each zone. You should be saving the little guys anyway ;)

Another impressions list from a different person.

Finished the first world and half of the second, so far it's a pretty interesting game:

- While the backgrounds are nowhere near as dense as Unleashed/Generations, it's still quite gorgeous thanks to the 720p/solid 60fps combo. It's also colourful, which helps.
- Cutscenes are cheesy fun like Colors, but it looks like it might turn to serious business later on. As usual with the latest titles, the game goes straight to the first level after some of that awesome Sega CG and you can choose any combination of voice and text available.
- Controls take some getting used to. Now that the boost button is gone, gaining momentum is a bit slow unless you use the spin dash. Parkour is especially awkward at first, at least until you can judge how long Sonic keeps running up the wall (very) and when to extend it with a jump.
- World map is neat. It's just an elaborate stage select screen, but there are unlockable bonus mini-games (variations of Arkanoid so far) and Chaos who give you "achievements" to do in any level. These might unlock something but I haven't done any yet.
- Online stuff in unavailable right now, as is the Deadly Six DLC, so I can't comment on that.
- The main level of each world is pretty good so far. The first one everybody knows, it has a bunch of little secrets and different paths, while the second has both 2D and 3D sections, the former being slower-paced and based on actual platforming/parkour while the latter is similar to Unleashed/Colors/Generations (it doesn't go too crazy with the layout though).
- 2D levels are a bit bland. They have a few gimmicks and they're not actively boring to go through or anything, but it's nothing too exciting. Something that is annoying at first is that Sonic keeps all his parkour abilities, so jumping close to the edge of a platform will make him latch to it. Red Rings are not particularly well concealed either.
- Wisp powers seem to be mostly optional, although most of the time a Wisp capsule means a Red Ring isn't far behind.
- Galaxy influence is certainly noticeable, but I think the game manages to stand out on its own.
- Music is great, but that's to be expected.

I'm not that far in, but unless something goes very wrong this should end up as the closest a modern Sonic has gotten to the 16-bit games. This is an iffy subject, so don't take that as gospel, just think of the game as some sort of missing link between the old games and the new ones.

EDIT: Flickies are not really an issue. The checkpoints are low enough that you should be getting way more than you need just by exploring the levels a little and killing enemies.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86293933&postcount=229

Fixed that for you.

Of all fanbases out there, this one should understand how stupid it is to take professional game journalism outlets seriously. 

Whether this game gets 10/10s across the board or is received worse than Sonic '06, not a single fuck will be given by me with regard to a professional game review. I'm going to play both versions of the game and evaluate them based only on what I determine to be their merits and flaws.

Metacritic group think is one of the biggest plagues on the industry right now. Developers don't make games for fans anymore, they make games for review outlets.

Sonic games in particular are usually the victim of projection... the games aren't reviewed based on what they are, they're reviewed through the lens of whatever the reviewer believes to be the "correct" way to make a Sonic game (in practice, usually it amounts to WHY HE NO RUN FASTER OMG FRIENDS R DUMB).

Unfortunately Famitsu reviews really mean jack-shit these days

• Thumbs Up 8

Of all fanbases out there, this one should understand how stupid it is to take professional game journalism outlets seriously. 

This is really annoys me.

Yes playing a game for yourself is the best way to tell if you will 'like' the game or not. But to outrightly lable every review out there and by extension every additional opinion on the game as being crap or worthless is just as foolish as claiming you shouldn't take professional reviewers seriously.

Most of the time, the collective reviewer consensus is spot on. And normally if you know what you're doing when you read a review you can tell what the game is like.

The score?

The headline?

No, you look at the tone of language, the level of detail in the descriptions, aspects they like and don't like which they directly quote from their experience of the game. Then look at another review and see if that reviewer writes with a similar tone or if they bring up the same things, even if they change their preference from the other guy, the mere fact they brought it up shows you that this will be a big importance in the game.

• Thumbs Up 8

Dunno if it's just me being bias because I have a huge thing for Mario Galaxy, but it's the same sort of concept, SLW has fully long 3D parkour levels, Mario Galaxy has big grand 3D levels, SLW has filler 2D levels, Mario Galaxy has small levels with filler missions to draw out the length of the game, SLW has semi mach speed zones, Mario Galaxy has special themed levels like racing a giant manta ray around a floating water level at speed, or sliding down a gigantic slide where you can't stop etc.

So this really doesn't phase my stance on the game, because it has a bit of everything, like Mario Galaxy does. *Shrug* 

Edited by Super SpOoOokio
  • Thumbs Up 4

Dunno if it's just me being bias because I have a huge thing for Mario Galaxy, but it's the same sort of concept, SLW has fully long 3D parkour levels, Mario Galaxy has big grand 3D levels, SLW has filler 2D levels, Mario Galaxy has small levels with filler missions to draw out the length of the game, SLW has semi mach speed zones, Mario Galaxy has special themed levels like racing a giant manatee around a floating water level at speed, or sliding down a gigantic slide where you can't stop etc.

So this really doesn't phase my stance on the game, because it has a bit of everything, like Mario Galaxy does. *Shrug* 

You mean manta ray