Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Reviews

Tails spin

Well, let's give Lost World some credit. it's probably the most ambitious 3D title in the series gameplay wise. A complete switch in style was bound to cause some hangups. 

Funny how no-one forgave Sonic Unleashed of almost the exact same circumstances.  I'm not saying that as a bitter Unleashed fan, I'm just genuinely not sure what to expect of reviews yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Funny how no-one forgave Sonic Unleashed of almost the exact same circumstances.  I'm not saying that as a bitter Unleashed fan, I'm just genuinely not sure what to expect of reviews yet.

Sonic Unleashed also made the mistake of trying to introduce and juggle two gameplay styles at once instead of one and the result was a lot less solid than this appears to be.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hey, does this thread allow reviews from users here who have played the game? tongue.png (Pardon me if it sounds like an obvious question).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86424358&postcount=606

Another cool impression, pretty interesting on the points with the 3DS version!

sure its nice to have others view points. If you guys see a review message me and I'll try my best to post all of them in my initial post.

Sonic Unleashed also made the mistake of trying to introduce and juggle two gameplay styles at once instead of one and the result was a lot less solid than this appears to be.

You could argue tho that this game is trying to be both a Sonic game and a Mario game, and kinda failing at it....but that's just me.

You could argue tho that this game is trying to be both a Sonic game and a Mario game, and kinda failing at it....but that's just me.

That's a huge stretch that im not sure is even true.....

That's a huge stretch that im not sure is even true.....

This game is really trying to be a Mario game. For the better, honestly. But it;s really really trying to be Mario so blatantly.

• Thumbs Up 2

This game is really trying to be a Mario game. For the better, honestly. But it;s really really trying to be Mario so blatantly.

I guess in it's graphics if we finally just excepted that it's copying Mario now, but everything else like the level design and how it controls/feels/plays? Not really.

I guess in it's graphics if we finally just excepted that it's copying Mario now, but everything else like the level design and how it controls/feels/plays? Not really.

In some ways, it's is actually. I just did a level where I thought I was in Bowser's Castle.

• Thumbs Up 1

Failing is kinda pushing it, but it certainly isn't as consistent as Mario's when it comes to sporting tight level designs. 

It seems the reviewer can't get used to the new controls ,so that's why he thinks they're bad and so that the game doesn't feel like Generations it's bad.

.......................................................................................................................................................

I'll wait for two more reviews that carry a similar score, since Generations was reviewed unfavorably by GameInformer(6.75/10) and EDGE (5/10) yet it didn't stop me from buying it.

Anymore reviews that hit with more 5's and 6's.................i'll feel more dead inside then i am now from reading that review.................

Oh, IGN giving Sonic a bad score because they don't know how to use the controls... So... Anyone surprised? Cause I kinda saw that one coming from a mile.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, IGN giving Sonic a bad score because they don't know how to use the controls... So... Anyone surprised? Cause I kinda saw that one coming from a mile.

*sigh* This is Unleashed all over again.

I remain unfazed when it comes to IGN's views of Sonic.

Edited by Jovahexeon

this is Hilary Goldstein deliberating jumping intoa pit and claiming the controls are garbage all over again.

• Thumbs Up 2

The main villains serve up some of the most boring battles in the series’ history

That's the only part of the review I can really say is totally bollocks, IMO of course. The boss battles are sometimes a bit on the simple side, but ultimately are way better than anything we've seen for years. And he didn't mention the story of cutscenes, which is kinda of a shame cause those do deserve some credit.

Everything else I can sort of understand, even if I don't totally agree with it. That score is way too low. I'm really loving this game. My main issue with it is that it's not particularly exciting. But it's still really good.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

That IGN review clearly made my day! Of all reviewers IGN has really nailed it this time! Awesome job, IGN! I wouldn't think I'd say that, but I like you now!

• Thumbs Up 2

Daaang. That's kind of a shame. This is really gonna be one of those "everyone's going to have a different experience with it = lots of varying opinions" games, isn't it? Oh well.

I must say though, there's one particular bit that baffles me.

I’ll happily give them credit for opening up some welcome exploration possibilities, but placing much of the 3D landscape on cylinders and spheres also necessitates a bunch of lateral movement – a concept that aggressively contradicts my natural hedgehog instinct to sprint towards the horizon.

I don't exactly get the criticism here. Almost everything else sounds...reasonable enough even if I don't necessarily agree (won't know till I play, ya know?), it's just this bit that confuses me. If it was about wanting more grounded level design like in past games, yeah, I'd even agree with that. But it sounds more like the criticism is...you have to go left and right sometimes in the 3D levels? Okay? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

Also, if it's one thing that I hope for, it's that reviewers at least like the story to some extent, so SEGA and/or Sonic Team lets the current writers do their thing like they did with this game. Granted I haven't seen much of the story, but reception to it has been really positive, so... Unfortunately, as far as I can see, the closest thing that review got to mentioning the story was complaining about one piece of dialogue. Okay.

Edited by ElementofChaos
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't exactly get the criticism here. Almost everything else sounds...reasonable enough even if I don't necessarily agree (won't know till I play, ya know?), it's just this bit that confuses me. If it was about wanting more grounded level design like in past games, yeah, I'd even agree with that. But it sounds more like the criticism is...you have to go left and right sometimes in the 3D levels? Okay? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

What he means is, many of the main paths in the game (i.e. when you don't seek out different routes) are just large, looping flats littered with spikes. When you get your teeth into the level design and start playing around with all the different paths it's good. But if you don't, then the layouts are somewhat meh.

• Thumbs Up 1

That IGN review clearly made my day! Of all reviewers IGN has really nailed it this time! Awesome job, IGN! I wouldn't think I'd say that, but I like you now!

I can tell you're very geared up ready to say "told you so" once all is said and done, Fenix. :/