Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Reviews

Tails spin

Glad to see that reception isn't an overall terrible stance concerning Lost World so far.

Anything below a 7/10 is a 'terrible' by reviewers standard.

For me, this game is average... very little. I'm wait new Sonic game.

See you next Title Time, wait for the news. 

See ya! ;3

Anything below a 7/10 is a 'terrible' by reviewers standard.

Uugh. I hate that shtick.

While the stages look UNDENIABLY influenced by Mario games, I can't really say that's a bad thing for my taste. This is probably due to me being a sucker for cartoony platformers like Mario, Ratchet & Clank, and Kirby, but I know that I'd rather have a Mario-inspired artstyle than the photorealistic environments in past 3D Sonic games (mind you, I also think that artstyle looks gorgeous). That's not to say that I'm not open to Sonic trying a more unique but cartoony artstyle in the future for its level tropes, that condone the NSMB games having the same freaking world themes for the past four installments, or forgive Sky Road for being Windy Hill on steroids with a bit of Desert Ruins sprinkled on the side. Personally, I think that the Bonus World looked like a decent trope that could've been used for Sky Road so it'd actually look unique (well, maybe try to make it a little less seizure-inducing/looking like a total meth trip), but that's just me.

Back on-topic for the reviews, it could be a lot worse, so I'm grateful. But that doesn't mean that I feel that scores around 6 out of 10 or lower for Lost World are completely justifiable, at least from the recurring context that I've seen multiple reviewers use for scores around that range.

Edited by Count Mario
  • Thumbs Up 1

That said, I'm still hearing positives from fans who have played the game and we all know how some reviewers tend to get when a new playstyle is involved *cough* IGN* *cough* *Unleashed* So I'm still hyped for the game!

I was gonna say as well, I was one of the first people to jump in and say "just because they use gravity play and planetoids it's not automatically ripping off Mario Galaxy" but geez there are so SO many borrowed concepts on a basic level.  For example there's a ton of plantoids where you have to beat all the enemies badniks or collect fragments butterflies to make the fling star giant spring appear.

I agree with Blue Blood too, the final level

literally feels like Bowser's Castle with a few sheets of Eggman metal plonked on it.  Even the penultimate boss had Zavok grow massive and chase you out of the lava.  Hilarious considering his fan nickname of Skinny Bowser back in the silhouette days.

• Thumbs Up 3

It was nice while it lasted for the past 2 or so years of reviewers being fair to Sonic, but now there back saying this new style sucks, even though they themselves didn't even attempt to get a hang of it (*cough IGN/Gamespot cough*). This isn't like Unleashed were there was the Werehog dragging things down, physics being broken ala Sonic 4 or even having bland gameplay ala Sonic Black Knight. It really seems that while there are valid flaws in Lost World (some iffy level design, lackluster ending, difficult learning curve), most reviewers are just simply not trying to see the good of the game.

Jim Sterling of all people game the game a solid score (7.5) where these "major" sites are giving the game 5's likes its friggen Sonic 06.....

Glad I stopped caring about reviews in this series after IGN's infamous Unleashed HD review...

Uugh. I hate that shtick.

Me too. The game isn't that bad, it's just the controls are a little sickening.

The reviewers just think Sonic is all about GOTTA GO FAST rather than what it was first designed to be.

I've only looked at the IGN, Gamespot, Destructoid (Jim Sterling) and Gametrailers review.

IGN and Gamespot's main problems with the game are just the reviewer wanting a different kind of game, so those reviews can be ignored. Destructoid's and Gametrailers' reviews are good, it seems like they didn't mind a bunch of the problems as much as I did, but their criticisms are valid.

Fuck the negative reviews! :P I'm having so much fun with Lost World Wii U. It's a welcome change following the boost trilogy and feels like the classics with the balance in speed and platforming. I can see what you guys mean with the Super Mario Galaxy comparisons. They really should have tried to make it less obvious. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I was playing some more Wii U and was searching for Red Star rings on Windy Hill and I totally see where the IGN review was coming from with complaining about too much left-right movement.  The problem is not this form of movement, but the fact that the camera stays locked ahead of you the whole time, like it did in Sonic Colours.  If you see a Red Star Ring on a higher route and need to backtrack to get it, hope you like blindly running towards the camera and hitting every enemy you missed!  Not like that's been a problem in every Sonic game bar SA1 and Unleashed!

Edited by JezMM

Wow, I didn't think Jim Sterling would want to go anywhere near this game, of course he is the type of guy who does know when to be fair and analytical when it comes to games other than IGN's "NOT FAST ENOUGH" quip.

According to metacritic positive out numbers the negative so far!

I absolutely love the game! Problem is I'm very tired today since I stayed up until 3 this morning to play the 3DS version, so I'm a little low on energy. But it definitely is a great game, I highly recommend it.

I personally think that IGN should take that review down and get the person that was excited for the game to review it. Don't give candy to someone who won't eat it.

Edited by Wil348

Me too. The game isn't that bad, it's just the controls are a little sickening.

The reviewers just think Sonic is all about GOTTA GO FAST rather than what it was first designed to be.

I know! Honestly, from the demos I've played and the levels I've seen in action, I'd say that this at least a speedy platformer that challenges you for your speed.

I know! Honestly, from the demos I've played and the levels I've seen in action, I'd say that this at least a speedy platformer that challenges you for your speed.

Perhaps some missed the run button? Especially the ones that mention having to use the double jump for almost all jumps.

Alright everyone, it looks like this is going to be a Sonic game that everybody loves/everybody hates. 

Ya know, didn't people like Hogfather or Verte predict it would be just that kind of game? Because I find it interesting how on the mark they were.

Ya know, didn't people like Hogfather or Verte predict it would be just that kind of game? Because I find it interesting how on the mark they were.

Yeah, I just made that exact point in my recent status. It's really not all that surprising, but most just hoped it wouldn't be true.

Edited by DarkLight

I finished the game last night, and decided to play a bit more today.

Guys this isn't a terrible/bad game, if I'm perfectly honest it takes time to appreciate where SLW shines and to get a grip on the parkour.

Literally just re-visited stages again and once you get a hang of the parkour and when to transition the fluidity of movement is something to behold, it is amazing like, honestly the things you can exploit with the use of parkour, the places you can go to deviate from the paths set before you. I swear you won't ever go through the level the same way every time, it honestly is a game of skill and patience.

It may not be to everyone's taste, but the TRUTH is this ISN'T a bad game, just divisive, calling it bad just because it's different is the stupidest, most ignorant thing someone can say, this game is crafted with extreme care and love, and yeah it's not perfect, but this is definitely the route SEGA should continue on, because shit, I haven't honestly had this much fun in a Sonic game for... a VERY long time, so long I honestly can't remember the last time I had legitimate fun not plagued by disappointment and frustration.

Seriously, give this game a go.

• Thumbs Up 7

Daaaaamn. Had to read through a lot of pages to finally get here. @-@ Well what can I say? It's like Sonic Unleashed ALL over again! Though I guess the scores aren't as low...

But geez, I gotta play this game right now I guess! The reception is so very mixed I don't know what to think. I really hope that because of this mixed reception Sonic Team doesn't go back to BOOST LOL gameplay though. Because like Jim Sterling said, this could be awesome if it's polished up in the next game.

So...simple question. If I thought Unleashed was aight, Colours was really good and Generations sucked, will I like this? :3

• Thumbs Up 1

So...simple question. If I thought Unleashed was aight, Colours was really good and Generations sucked, will I like this? :3

Yes

• Thumbs Up 3

Guys dont call me crazy but I think the 3ds version might control more fluently and comfortably overall. Like.. the controls are pretty good. And it has a tutorial. The levels seem wider and the camera has bigger scope, and Sonic has momentum in jumps.

The levels may get way worse later but yeah it aint bad so far.

The design in the 2d stages seems way better in the 3ds version too.

Edited by Wonder SuperLink