Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Reviews

Tails spin

Guys dont call me crazy but I think the 3ds version might control more fluently and comfortably overall. Like.. the controls are pretty good. And it has a tutorial. The levels seem wider and the camera has bigger scope, and Sonic has momentum in jumps.

The levels may get way worse later but yeah it aint bad so far.

The design in the 2d stages seems way better in the 3ds version too.

This is an increasing view it seems and it has me hella worried for the HD version

This is an increasing view it seems and it has me hella worried for the HD version

the hd version isn't bad, but the 3ds version might be better.

Haven't played the 3DS version yet so... I can't judge, but I think SLW has literally moved into my top 3 Sonic games to date, I've got a pretty big appreciation for it right now, now that I've given it a chance.

Speaking of SLW, just played through the Nightmare DLC, it's really just a boss rush except you don't really attack the D6, just the NiGHTS bosses and it fades into the next one, It's not really a fight per se but it's more of a dream sequence where you do the bare minimum in each mini flash back, you also get to run with NiGHTS, collect the orb things and go through the rings, then save Nightopians from a Wiseman cage at the end of the stage whilst the Dream Nights theme plays, really cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some of my impressions of the Wii U version:

As soon as I booted up Windy Hill 1, I was greeted with gorgeous, bright visuals and 60 frames, and it was truly a sight to behold. Everything was so vibrant and alive visually, from the grass blowing in the breeze to the puffy clouds in the sky. I really like the graphics in this game, they are beautiful.

Then I thought that I'd move Sonic around a little (go figure) and test the controls. I was a little worried about them, but those worries were soon put to rest. Sonic handles great, his movement feels natural and the controls are leagues above Generations in my opinion.

Then I tried the spin dash. Holy cow, it is fast! Basically you can do one of two things here. You can either hold ZL down for a while, or you can hold ZL and rapidly tap A to charge the spin dash. You can also resume a spin dash after jumping if you keep ZL held down.

Th parkour I haven't really used much yet, but it does take getting used to on Wii U. However it is a great addition and I can see it coming in very handy later in the game.

Right, now the run button, At first, I thought it was going to be a bit distracting, but it's actually not. The run button handles very well actually. Most of the time I barely realise that I'm holding it. So I guess it was a good addition.

Then there's the bounce. I don't really use it that often, but you press Y while in the air to perform it. Pressing Y while on the ground will make you crouch (and tapping it will make you teabag).

Okay thats all for now guys, I want to go play some more :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Welp, can't say I didn't see this coming. I read the IGN review so far, and most of their complaints are in line with some of the ones I've heard across the net, so I can't really blame them for being "stupid" in this case.

Another mediocre Sonic game with a mix of good and bad ideas...

I thought the Unleashed days were over

This game was very much an experimental title, it was inevitable that this was going to happen; what's not important is that this game is mixed, but what Sonic Team do from here with this news.

On the one hand. I don't like to see Sega games do badly.

On the other. Gotta say, do feel somewhat vindicated considering all the abuse and comments I got following my SOS preview regarding this game.

And it's not like Sega couldn't have done things to help the situation either. Tutorial stage? Made the controls more user friendly, the difficulty spikes.

Also, can we stop trying to blame the reviewers for their scores? This game was overhyped by the fans and instead of paying attention to criticisms people had during it's development, we're now doing the whole 'it's the reviewers who have the problem', again.

• Thumbs Up 7

Another random little thing regarding the constant Game Over-ing issue - you don't even get lives for collecting 100 rings anymore.  The first game in years where it's a challenge to collect that many and you aren't even rewarded for it.

• Thumbs Up 5

Another random little thing regarding the constant Game Over-ing issue - you don't even get lives for collecting 100 rings anymore.  The first game in years where it's a challenge to collect that many and you aren't even rewarded for it.

Should've got that 25 lives pre-order!

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't get some sites praising the game and then destroying it. Also i don't how these people are writing such bad reviews. Like seriously....ugh

Because of us. Well... the gaming public.

Look, this game was overhyped by people for absolutely no reason other than 'Whoa! Sonic is running on a tube/PARKOUR!" We didn't really know how good/bad the story or characterisation was until very recently, all we had to go on was the few videos of Windy Hill. Yet this was enough for a mass mentality of 'this game is gonna be great!'

Barely anyone paid attention to the problems the game had, barely anyone took notice of those who did point out problems or who had difficulty with it.

Instead it just got hyped it up, constantly. Of course the review sites are gonna do features on it because their audiences gave them the impression thats what you wanted to see.

Anyone remember that IGN video of the girl who was playing Lost World very poorly. She didn't know about the run button, she couldn't work out how you attack and it took her what... 10 min just to beat the first stage? People did to her what they did to everybody who had a bad word about the game, they blamed her. Instead people should have been asking 'well why is she so bad? Is it her fault or the game?'

*spits out drink*

ARE YOU SERIOUS!?

• Thumbs Up 3

Gotta say, do feel somewhat vindicated considering all the abuse and comments I got following my SOS preview regarding this game.

Heh, you were right about the controls, but for the record, abuse is a very strong and insincere word to use. Let's be frank, all you did was post negative reviews and turned a blind eye to anything positive about it; even reading your preview the good things you said about it were to be taken for granted anyway. And when we got frustrated, you then turned that into "oh well everyone is attacking me, I'm being flamed and abused." It was actually rather obnoxious.

You may be right about the controls, but I don't think it warrants your reaction. 

what is this i dont even

Edited by Indighost Rush

Hahaha!  25!  Ahaha

You haven't played it yet have you

Yeah, seriously, one of the levels in the last Zone makes Eggmanland look like Green Hill Zone Act 1.

Seriously played the special level in Sky Road so many times for lives to tackle Lava Mountains final zone that the level design is engraved into my head...

• Thumbs Up 1

Heh, you were right about the controls, but for the record, abuse is a very strong and insincere word to use. Let's be frank, all you did was post negative reviews and turned a blind eye to anything positive about it; even reading your preview the good things you said about it were to be taken for granted anyway. And when we got frustrated, you then turned that into "oh well everyone is attacking me, I'm being flamed and abused." It was actually rather obnoxious.

You may be right about the controls, but I don't think it warrants your reaction. 

On SSMB it wasn't so bad... Though a few people did constantly accuse me of having it in for the game for virtually no reason. But the main problem was TSS, there were a bunch of comments I had to unauthorise/remove because it was getting a bit too stupid and troll territory.

tumblr_muvaoxDRD61qhi4j7o1_500.jpg

Just found this in the game box and it explains the parkour controls better than the game and digital manual combined do fucking hell.  I’ve finished the game and I didn’t even know you could side step or wall spin dash.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, I haven't read the TSS comments, so I suppose I can't argue with that.

It's always nicer in the forums than outside of the forums, I say~

But on that note, I'm just really discouraged for the future of the series right now. I was really excited for Lost World, and I keep looking at the gameplay, story and visuals and I can't seem to find where the problem is. A lot of fans love it, and yet the reviewers hate it. Mind you, the same reviewers that love Sonic 4 and think that Sonic Colors was best 3D Sonic game. 

I think I'm just going to take a short break until I can collect my thoughts over the situation.

Just found this in the game box and it explains the parkour controls better than the game and digital manual combined do fucking hell.  I’ve finished the game and I didn’t even know you could side step or wall spin dash.

Okay this is way too small for me to read no matter what I do, I knew about wall-spindashing but what does the "side step" do? The name of said move, at least, doesn't sound like something I've seen in any footage.

I'd rather we gauge reception of the games not based on the amount of the reviews, but by the words and opinions stated in them.

IGN's review read like a twat who doesn't like change, so that's an unhelpful one.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is really annoys me.

Yes playing a game for yourself is the best way to tell if you will 'like' the game or not. But to outrightly lable every review out there and by extension every additional opinion on the game as being crap or worthless is just as foolish as claiming you shouldn't take professional reviewers seriously.

No, you look at the tone of language, the level of detail in the descriptions, aspects they like and don't like which they directly quote from their experience of the game. Then look at another review and see if that reviewer writes with a similar tone or if they bring up the same things, even if they change their preference from the other guy, the mere fact they brought it up shows you that this will be a big importance in the game.

I'm sorry, but when you get stuff LIKE THIS in a review, I can never see anything it says as "spot on":

The entire ring system is broken in a 3D world. The player is still allowed one hit, but it’s maddening to collect over 300 rings in one stage, only to lose them all at the end, and only be able to re-collect a handful of them due to the 3D gameplay.

From Games Revolution's review.

And you get stuff like this consistently. Whether it's reviewers deliberately picking up on something that's obvious, not bothering to understand a change in mechanics, or deliberately not fact checking or going with an innacurate "gut" reaction, this kind of attitude runs rampant in games journalism. There's also no consistent standard for scores being assigned, what scores that are assigned are completely arbitrary, and far too many are subject to getting paid off for their reviews.

This is the most unprofessional career in the business. There are people who are experts in technology and game design, but they aren't the ones publishing things that are the most prominent. The majority of people running things at most game sites are people who enjoy games, not people who are trained to critique them.

The issue of criticism of entertainment is bad enough that it's been co-opted by writers for magazines and news organizations, and whatever issues thata re already inherent to that system are effectively MULTIPLIED in games journalism. There's a difference between being trained to write, and being trained to critique, and there is no place where that worse than in the gaming community.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is really annoys me.

I'm sorry, but when you get stuff LIKE THIS in a review, I can never see anything it says as "spot on":

The game isn't very good. It's average at best.

Both reviewers and the general gamers seem to be agreeing on that, whats happening now is exactly what I said would happen, we're going through the reviews picking out the ones which we consider 'right' and trying to unermine the reviews we don't like with our usual put downs.

this should had been in the game prior to the first level as a tutorial. it would had made things less confusing for newcomers.