Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Reviews

Tails spin

The game isn't very good. It's average at best. .

Except the scores range from really good to really bad so you can't even say that.

Edited by SoniManbeast
  • Thumbs Up 9

I'm sorry, but when you get stuff LIKE THIS in a review, I can never see anything it says as "spot on":

Recollecting rings in 3D has always been annoying in Sonic and still is, I don't see how this is an invalid complaint.

• Thumbs Up 1

Both reviewers and the general gamers seem to be agreeing on that, whats happening now is exactly what I said would happen, we're going through the reviews picking out the ones which we consider 'right' and trying to unermine the reviews we don't like with our usual put downs.

How am I supposed to take their opinion seriously when they're railing on something that's been an institution of the franchise since the days of the Genesis?

But there's also the fact that we don't have a meaningful enough cross section of "general gamers" to base the statement upon.

And no offense... but you kind of ignored the criticisms inherent in review scores I pointed out. Why should we put stock in the thoughts of people who fail every long standing conceit of meaningful criticism and also prove themselves to be ill informed? With movies, up until he died, a review by Roger Ebert (who I consistently disagreed with but acknowledged as a legitimate critic) was held up as equal to one written by USA Today. Game reviews are just like that, except EVERYONE is USA Today in this equation.

Recollecting rings in 3D has always been annoying in Sonic and still is, I don't see how this is an invalid complaint.

except that's not how they say it. They frame it in the context that they can collect rings and ONE HIT will rob them of the benefits of getting a better score because there aren't usually tons of rings at the end of the level.

I can't think of a single Sonic game, 3D, 2D, or isometric where this isn't the case.

except that's not how they say it. They frame it in the context that they can collect rings and ONE HIT will rob them of the benefits of getting a better score because there aren't usually tons of rings at the end of the level.

I can't think of a single Sonic game, 3D, 2D, or isometric where this isn't the case.

...And it's always been annoying.  I loved that Unleashed and Shadow only lose you a chunk of your rings.

• Thumbs Up 1

How am I supposed to take their opinion seriously when they're railing on something that's been an institution of the franchise since the days of the Genesis?

... Erm... You do realise that people are complaining about things other than rings right?

The main problem seems to be the controls, amazingly poor boss battles, terrible difficulty spikes, lack of tutorials, Wisps are STILL totally broken and ruin the flow of the game.

Do I need to go on?

... Erm... You do realise that people are complaining about things other than rings right?

The main problem seems to be the controls, amazingly poor boss battles, terrible difficulty spikes, lack of tutorials, Wisps are STILL totally broken and ruin the flow of the game.

Do I need to go on?

Out of that list the only one surprises me is the boss battles.  The boss battles are mostly fantastic, though the difficult ones get annoying since they come at the end of levels, so getting a game over means doing the whole level again (towards the end of the game, these levels are 5-10 minutes long).

Oh, though regarding the final boss:

Gameplay-wise it is pretty much Nega Wisp Armor again with slightly less attacks.  And not even any cinematic cool "final hit" powerup dealie.  Woo.

Edited by JezMM

.. Erm... You do realise that people are complaining about things other than rings right?

I think you're missing the point of what I'm saying. This kind of thing, which is prevalent in reviews not just of Sonic, cast aspersions on the quality of their criticism. If they put in things like that, why should I take anything else they say seriously?

Edited by Razorsaw

I think you're missing the point of what I'm saying. This kind of thing, which is prevalent in reviews not just of Sonic, cast aspersions on the quality of their criticism. If they put in things like that, why should I take anything else they say seriously?

So I should take it by that you don't read any review then since the positive ones would be equally as flawed?

Yes, actually. Look at DmC. Reviewed wonderfully, but it's deeply flawed game when you compare it to the original series and apply actual legitimate methods of criticism to it.

I'd be saying this if I picked up Lost World next week and ended up hating it. Game review scores are terrible, poorly written, and do more harm to the industry than they help.

Edited by Razorsaw

So am I the only one who's going to disregard any and all reviews and just play the game for myself because of the mass division in the reviews? I feel like I'm going to agree most with Jim Sterling's though, but I could be wrong. We'll see when I play for myself. 

Edited by Ghostly Warp
  • Thumbs Up 2

You're not the only one, really. I'm the same way most of the time.

I'm still looking forward to this game, it really does sound like it depends on the individual's experience with the game. I hope I like it, but if not--well, I'll enjoy the story at least, from what I've heard.

• Thumbs Up 3

Right guys, here's something that completely raped my brain;

IGN Italy gave Sonic Lost World (Wii U) an 8.0/10.

So which country's IGN had the 5 score? I think this is just down to personal preference now.

Edited by Wil348
  • Thumbs Up 7

When opinion regarding a game, fluctuates massively from terrible to fantastic, it should generally be a sign of mediocrity.

OMG you have no idea how much this bugs me!

Sky Road is literaly just Windy Hill/Desert Ruins with a cloudy backdrop. It the same thing NSMB does. And how often does Sonic do sky levels like that anyway?  Never. They're always ruins or batteships. So when we finally get a new sky level it's uncannily similar to the way NSMB does it. Not to mention all of the levels are far closer to NSMB designs than anything I've ever seen in Sonic before.

Sonic-Lost-World-28428TropicalCoast_Zone

468px-World3-1StarCoin1.jpg

The other levels all reek of NSMB too. I don't mind the simpler art style at all. In fact, I positively adore it. But I want to play a Sonic game, you know?

Also, the end of Lava Volcano act 3. I think they literally just C&P'd NSMB right there.

You know, I got quite a lot of shit for saying something along these lines, a while back. Well, it wasn't abusive, but a lot of people kept insisting that this wasn't the case. I really don't like being vindicated in this instance. Its kind of disheartening, cause I was really hoping it wouldn't end up like this....

Personally, this game felt from the beginning, like Sonic Team were trying to make something that just wasn't Sonic. They had some solid ideas (which still need work from the look of things), but it looked instantly derivative from a level design, visual and trope design perspective.

I will get around to playing this myself at some stage to get a real feel of it, but I am disappointed nonetheless.

Edited by Scar

Right guys, here's something that completely raped my brain;

IGN Italy gave Sonic Lost World (Wii U) an 8.0/10.

So which country's IGN had the 5 score? I think this is just down to personal preference now.

IGN US is the main site.

When opinion regarding a game, fluctuates massively from terrible to fantastic, it should generally be a sign of mediocrity.

... No? It mostly seems to speak that the game is just marmite. You love it or hate it. A mediocre game is something that would probably be a consensus. A divisive game is one that actually sparks conversations.

Games like Killer7 and Deadly Premonition come to mind as games that fall under the quota you described, and those have become cult classics loved by many.

• Thumbs Up 8

Games like Killer7 and Deadly Premonition come to mind as games that fall under the quota you described, and those have become cult classics loved by many.

Those are two pretty mediocre video games, that even fans of those games admit are pretty damn flawed

I've lost count of how many Killer7 recommendations start with "Ok, the gameplay is prettttttty shallow and janky, but the ATMOSPHERE and the CRAZY STORY is unlike anything in gaming well worth it if you like it maybe"

Edited by jeremycarrier

Those are two pretty mediocre video games, that even fans of those games admit are pretty damn flawed

I've lost count of how many Killer7 recommendations start with "Ok, the gameplay is prettttttty shallow and janky, but the ATMOSPHERE and the CRAZY STORY is unlike anything in gaming well worth it if you like it maybe"

A flawed game does not mean it's a mediocre game. If a game can set out to do something that defies expectations in that sense it's far more valuable to discuss what the game accomplishes as a sum of it's parts and on it's own merits. That's what games are, individual experiences. In a lot of cases, or in fact in all cases, there is some aspect of a game that ends up having to compensate for others and the question is how good of a job it does doing just that.

Lost World succeeding at that isn't really a truth in those terms from what I'm seeing. But it is true for a lot of games.

So am I the only one who's going to disregard any and all reviews and just play the game for myself because of the mass division in the reviews? I feel like I'm going to agree most with Jim Sterling's though, but I could be wrong. We'll see when I play for myself. 

You are not alone. My hype for this game still burns strong! And when the reviews are this divided (even when the majority are positive) I feel it best to play for myself!

Edited by Jovahexeon

All games are flawed. Some severely more than others. A lot of those happen to be Sonic titles for a lot of reasons. It'd be great to live in a world where Sonic got unanimously praised game created by top tier developers that are polished to a sheen, but we don't. Those days are loooong gone, and this is the franchise we now have.

The only question is how much of the bizarre design decisions, rough edges, bad storytelling, dumb level design, etc you're willing to forgive and embrace the parts of the game you feel it does well. I've seen several people proclaim their love of Sonic '06 of all things. Take all kinds, but the general reception is what it is.

All games are flawed. Some severely more than others. A lot of those happen to be Sonic titles for a lot of reasons. It'd be great to live in a world where Sonic got unanimously praised game created by top tier developers that are polished to a sheen, but we don't. Those days are loooong gone, and this is the franchise we now have.

The only question is how much of the bizarre design decisions, rough edges, bad storytelling, dumb level design, etc you're willing to forgive and embrace the parts of the game you feel it does well. I've seen several people proclaim their love of Sonic '06 of all things. Take all kinds, but the general reception is what it is.

So going by "general reception" on metacritic..

1. Positive: 11 out of 31
  2. Negative: 4
Positive Reception  currently outweighs the negative.

After reading game spots review I can see where their coming from but that's just me.

...which isn't saying much, let's be realistic.

Well it does debunk the theory that negativity is the dominant reception contrary to what certain folk have been spouting.Man I really need to play this game!

Edited by Jovahexeon

I really wish that we could all make our opinions count. We just need to put together a positive mail and put across what we think and it could really help Sonic Team, when they're prolly sad over this themselves.

It'll just not happen.

I really need to play this game though, parkour is enough for me.

1. Positive: 11 out of 31
  2. Negative: 4
Positive Reception  currently outweighs the negative.

This is getting very misleading indeed.

According to Meta-Critic. A game which is 50/100 is 'mixed'

5 reviews from very well known sites gave it a 50% score... That is average.

Hands up everyone who would look at a review, see a score for a game as being 50% average and say "Well thats convinced me, I'm going to spend £40 on this game right now!"

Nobody here would do that at all. The only reason this conversation is even going on is blind fan faith.