Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Reviews

Tails spin

My main beef with the story is (no specific spoilers):

All the (melo)dramas come out of nowhere and are solved either by the end of the cut-scene, or by some arbitrary quick fix generally.

For example (actual spoilers):

The moment the sandwich was left next to Tails I just knew it was gonna somehow save him.  It wasn't particularly clever, it just felt cheap, just like the randomly strewn chunk of robot saving the day in Colours was.

• Thumbs Up 2

So basically, anyone who thinks the game is good because of some favorable reviews is "wrong" while you're "right" because you wanted the game to fail and its gotten some negative reviews too.

......You are the most spiteful dick I have ever known, just....wow.

This kind of attitude isn't really helping the case so let's dial down the attitude.

Literally any last bit of respect I had for you Art, just crumbled down to pieces, if you hated the game so much , why not just stay out of the topic ? now you clearly stated that you just feel happy when people that like the game feel miserable ? :P

I dont hate you by any means, mind you. and I still have respect for you xD You just look so bad saying that. 

In complete seriousness though, I literally dont trust Sonic game reviews. Most of em are butthurt cause they are not classic sonic style or simply hate him for some weird reason. Id say if youre a fan of Sonic, watch the trailers, video footage. Try a demo, or even look at a whole Walkthrough of it, and then judge by yourself. :P  

I myself have played it, and while its not a GOTY, or something TOO amazing. Its still a pretty great game and a step in the right direction.

The quality of storytelling is a relative thing. I mean, why would you judge The Lost World by the same standards as The Last of Us? They're fundamentally different animals.

There's a standard for storytelling that every bit of media follows; just because franchises are different doesn't mean they aren't held to those same standards.

There are pixar films with far better plots than Avatar for starters.

My main beef with the story is (no specific spoilers):

All the (melo)dramas come out of nowhere and are solved either by the end of the cut-scene, or by some arbitrary quick fix generally.

For example (actual spoilers):

The moment the sandwich was left next to Tails I just knew it was gonna somehow save him.  It wasn't particularly clever, it just felt cheap, just like the randomly strewn chunk of robot saving the day in Colours was.

Yea, even I felt that shit was pretty stupid. I liked the plot in general, but it still has its problems.

The game called Sonic Lost World is not the franchise I know and love. It doesn't even resemble it. I could care less about everything else. Seeing favorite franchise being twisted and humiliated is possibly even worse than seeing it dead. Same thing happened to lots of DMC fans. Whatever you personally see it, is up to you.

WHAT?! Where did you get that? That has to do with the game and only with the game. I've nothing agains the people, wtf?

Oh and speaking of story, it's on par with Colors. = just as bad. Well, maybe just sliiiightly better. So many filler cutscenes that don't move the plot at all. Just characters trash-talking. Almost just as bad as in Colors.

ArtFenix, Sonic just isn't your thing man....

Maybe it was when we we're fighting against Aliens and Demons with guns, swearing, and hedgehog on human relationships, but now just doesn't seem to be.

• Thumbs Up 2

This kind of attitude isn't really helping the case so let's dial down the attitude.

Sorry, I'll tone it down.

ArtFenix, Sonic just isn't your thing man....

Maybe it was when we we're fighting against Aliens and Demons with guns, swearing, and hedgehog on human relationships, but now just doesn't seem to be.

I will just say that I loved almost every single Sonic game so far. I even found lots of great stuff in Unleashed and Colors and now I like the games. Heck, I'm listening to Starlight Carnival Area music right now!

I'm sorry but your logic is flawed. If I hate this new game that, by the way, VASTLY differs from all other games in pretty much everything, then maybe Sonic is not your thing?

And drop your unnecessary sarcasm and irony.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

I will just say that I loved almost every single Sonic game so far. I even found lots of great stuff in Unleashed and Colors and now I like the games. Heck, I'm listening to Starlight Carnival Area music right now!

I'm sorry but your logic is flawed. If I hate this new game that, by the way, VASTLY differs from all other games in pretty much everything, then maybe Sonic is not your thing?

If the next Sonic game is uses the entire-ity of Generation's gameplay, then will you feel slightly happy upon that apsect?

If the next Sonic game is uses the entire-ity of Generation's gameplay, then will you feel slightly happy upon that apsect?

I suppose. Parkour mechanic is fine in itself. I don't mind seeing it again with more momentum. But even without it, I'm OK with Generations gameplay. Absolutely. There's still a lot of room for improvement and no need for any stupid gimmicks or wisps. Also, that beautiful detailed art style, please.

But it's not about gameplay only. I want great stories with lots of characters. The case is HUGE yet they use some wisps, deadly six and whatnot.

The endings are absolutely anti-climatic in three games in a row already! Where's the tension near the end?

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

I find it quite depressing that this game genuinely tries give a fresh experience and it doesn't live up to the mark. I hate critics who are comparing it to previous games and are unwilling to think this is a new direction they have to get used to. And of course, nobody has praised the music at all. 

I just can't wait to hear "Sonic is dead" all over the internet again. Fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's more or less your opinion....

Sonic can Homing Attack, Spin-dash, collects rings, can run on walls.... besides the Run button and tubular levels, I'm not seeing anything beyond drastically different. The thing that really seems to get to you is the simplistic art style and characters having more of... well character than they have in a long time.   

IGN score: 58

IGN Italia score: 80 

??????

In all seriousness though, Sonic games getting bad reviews isn't anything new. Everyone knows that any title that tries anything new will be a love-or-hate gamble. This reminds me of when Sonic Unleashed came out and got SLAMMED by every other reviewer-- even fans were hating on it. But when I picked it up, I honestly thought it was brilliant. It's still close to my favorite Sonic to date, even over Generations. (The HD version mind you and yes, I LOVED Werehog. )

I'm not particularly hard to please when it comes to Sonic, I'm a die hard fan, I'll always see the magic in a Sonic game no matter how bad it is. Hell I was even able to squeeze out whatever enjoyment I could out of that abysmal Sonic 06'.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guys, from the reviews I've been reading; the general consensus is that the game isn't bad by any means, there are definitely bad things about it, but for the most part reception seems to be "Mediocre-Average". There isn't even a review I'd call "negative" in the ones Hogfather posted.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guys, from the reviews I've been reading; the general consensus is that the game isn't bad by any means, there are definitely bad things about it, but for the most part reception seems to be "Mediocre-Average". There isn't even a review I'd call "negative" in the ones Hogfather posted.

This.

It's not a bad game. But it's average.

From all the reviews  I've read, the one from Sterling sticks out to me the most, if only because I share the same belief. Sure, this game might have a lot of unnecessary fat that bogs it down, but I truly think Sonic Team have the right idea here. Better application, and we could be seeing something special. The devs have shown a pretty good attitude since Unleashed when it comes to feedback, so I hope they take it on board.

Granted, we live in a world where an 8.5 is enough to cause genuine anger because apparently a high B is a bad score, so you're going to have to realize that score numbers are significantly inflated. Same with what would be called a "Mediocre-Average" experience. 

An average game isn't necessarily a bad one, true, but under the above circumstances I wouldn't waive away the critical reception as irrelevant in terms of how the game is going to be perceived over the long haul, especially by those who were on the fence or looking to get other games this season. While it only matters what you think in only a context of you yourself enjoying it, looking at this game in a long-term context, as in it being the definitive direction for the franchise going forward forever, would make me nervous. But the again, the entire consensus isn't fully in. We have like, what, less then ten reviews?

Let's Chill out, guys. I certainly understand that you jumped on ArtFenix. He's my friend, too.

But please respect the other opinion. I'm still a fan of Sonic, and I'll stay on it for a long time and work with news too.

Earlier, I spoke at the announcement of Sonic Lost World - it's not the best game! It is similar to Super Mario Galaxy, yes. But! It is really uncomfortable and received a bad physics. / It's looks beautiful graphics, don't argue. Levels of detail looks unusual.

The plot is as always more or less. Here I did not like. The game may seem normal for someone and bad. There is nothing wrong with that, right?

Why are you so attacked a person? Thay may be hurt, understand this. Respect others.

-ty

Edited by Woun

Granted, we live in a world where an 8.5 is enough to cause genuine anger because apparently a high B is a bad score, so you're going to have to realize that score numbers are significantly inflated. Same with what would be called a "Mediocre-Average" experience. 

An average game isn't necessarily a bad one, true, but under the above circumstances I wouldn't waive away the critical reception as irrelevant in terms of how the game is going to be perceived over the long haul, especially those who were on the fence or looking to get other games this season. While it only matters what you think in only a context of you yourself enjoying it, looking at this game in a long-term context, as in it being the definitive direction for the franchise going forward forever, would make me nervous. But the again, the entire consensus isn't fully in. We have like, what, less then ten reviews?

Somehow I get the feeling that in the not too distant future, the number 10 is going to end up being considered cra,p, with the number 15 being the only legit good score. Increasing score inflation to the point that they become utterly meaningless.

About the Average thing.

Odds are, the majority of people own a game that they consider 'average' and enjoy it. Hell I do, quite a lot in fact.

The problem is, an average game can be enjoyable, but does have problems. And they are problems that will need to be addressed if you intend to continue down this road. We can't just ignore these problems. JezMM posted that 'guide sheet' a few pages back and from the responce it got, this seems to be an issue for a lot of people? Why is this an issue? surely there should have been something in the game to suggest Sonic could do this in some way? Thats one example.

But does that make the game bad? Noooo not really, it limits the experience if you don't notice the guide sheet, thats for sure.

Then theres the issue of 'how much does this experience cost me.' For me, the cost right now is not worth the experience I'm seeing people comment on. Not by a long shot. That doesn't mean I wouldn't ever buy this game. Sonic & the Black Knight. I will NEVER buy that game because it's so bad and I can't imagine or see myself finding any enjoyment at all. This one, I probably will buy it in time because it's not 'bad' and theres a few things about it that I do like.

• Thumbs Up 1

An average game isn't necessarily a bad one, true, but under the above circumstances I wouldn't waive away the critical reception as irrelevant in terms of how the game is going to be perceived over the long haul, especially those who were on the fence or looking to get other games this season. While it only matters what you think in only a context of you yourself enjoying it, looking at this game in a long-term context, as in it being the definitive direction for the franchise going forward forever, would make me nervous. But the again, the entire consensus isn't fully in. We have like, what, less then ten reviews?

This is exactly why I don't really like the numbering system that reviewers use, because people will look at a number and assume its indicative of the game's quality without either playing it, or the ones who have played it think the reviews are just hating on their favorite game without understanding why. It doesn't help that, like you said, the review scale has changed to the point where an 8.5/10 is considered "bad", and that all games need 9's and 10's to be considered "successes"

I wouldn't be that worried because this type of reception is nothing new to Sonic, what I'm mainly worried about is how Sega/Sonic Team will respond to the criticisms and how they'll address them in later games. Will they actually read the reviews themselves, or just look at an arbitrary number with some bullet points.

You can see most of the reviews here btw, there's quite a bit to form an opinion:

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/10/sonic-lost-world-review-roundup/

Average isn't bad, or else it'd be called bad. But I wanted something unique and quality from this game, something that deserves a higher mark, that sets it as a high bar for the franchise to challenge itself with. Marks don't define the games for us individually, but it does affect public perception and therefore sales. :/

I have a feeling Sonic Team is going to continue with this direction (they didn't abandon Boost gameplay with Unleashed after all), but I never had faith in them to continuously mine the playstyle for the depth people say is there. Say what you want about the modern games, but Sonic Team didn't really do it for Adventure gameplay nor even Classic gameplay either. I feel confident enough to say that what we see here is what we're going to get for the next few years, although they might change up the location and tweak the controls and such. *shrugs*

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm mostly happy instead of everyone shitting on the game, it's two sides of opinions. One side thinks it's one of the best Sonic games ever, the other said it's one of the worst. Especially when the 'bad' side is blaming the new mechanics, which was a bit predictable. It's not Sonic 06 where it's a buggy terrible mess or Unleashed where half the game is the worst game in the world.