Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Reviews

Tails spin

What do you mean by that?

Last time I looked people seemed to like the 3DS version and considered it better than the Wii U version.

It's been flip flopping depending on the person you talk too.

Reviewers have stated the 3DS version is crap compared to the Wii U.

Fans have been split on whether the 3DS or Wii U version is stronger.

I have a feeling that Jez talking for days about his opinion may have given off the wrong impression.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I actually already said several times pretty much whenever someone brought up "wow the 3DS version sounds amazing no-one is complaining!" that the reason was because I was the only one still playing it and reporting about unlockables.  Everyone else had finished the story and never touched it (or discussion) again after giving their initial negative thoughts.

Hell uhh... even when I was singing my personal praises for it I absolutely KNEW a ton of stuff in it would be controversial, most of all the puzzle stages, mandatory Wisps, and gyro controls.

• Thumbs Up 2

I guess that's the unfortunate truth at the end of the day, not everyone is going to enjoy its offerings - especially since it doesn't hold to one particular level formula all the way through the game. 

There's stuff I don't like about the game of course (and I really do wish most of it was set like the Tubular running levels - at least these are over 1/3 of the games content.) But really now, it's nowhere near this "mess" I keep reading about. Did people play the last two games by Dimps? SLW feels like less of a time-restricted development title and one where time and effort was actually put in, so you have to applaud them for that at the very least.

I've not been their biggest fan Post Rush, but honestly there is more right than wrong with their first proper 3D title on handheld.  

So i keep seeing people everywhere trashing IGN's review of the Wii-U version cause their main complaint is Sonic being too slow. I have to ask: Why isn't this a valid complaint? Here's how i see it:

The main theme of the Sonic series has always been speed. It's what makes it unique in comparison to other platforming franchises. Now before anyone yells "OH YOU JUST WANT TO MINDLESSLY BOOST NONSTOP", no that's not what i want. Sonic is also about platforming and minor exploration via alternate routes, but speed is the trait that gives the series its own unique identity.

A good Sonic game like Sonic 2 and 3 and Generations has design that allows you to complete a level as fast as your skills allow it. This is what makes them clearly Sonic games.

Lost World however takes its slower pace to a ridiculous extreme. Throughout most of the game, the level design has you doing things that completely ruin any kind of fast pace this game could have. Pushing apples into holes, even slower blocky platforming than in Colors, a snowball level that forces you to go as slow as possible cause it controls like ass, enemies that need a kick before being destroyed, etc.

The level design doesn't allow for much speed aside from a few exceptions, and just like IGN said "loses the breathless speed and fluidity that makes a Sonic game a Sonic game".

I just think there is some merit to IGN's complaints.

• Thumbs Up 6

A good Sonic game like Sonic 2 and 3 and Generations has design that allows you to complete a level as fast as your skills allow it. This is what makes them clearly Sonic games.

And Colors?

And Colors?

Colors is a special case. It alternates between speed and platforming instead of meshing them together.

I did have some fun jumping from block to block as fast as possible in Colors, personally. I was able to speed through those levels pretty quickly, despite it not being as frantic as Unleashed and Gens.

• Thumbs Up 4

Our own review of Sonic Lost World 3DS is now live! I wrote it. c:

Read up on it!

I whole heartedly have to disagree with that. (he said to the surprise of no one...)

I just can't peg SLW 3DS as anything other than one of the worst Sonic games to date, and honestly find it to be nigh unplayable at times. Was kinda hoping that with the TSS review or second opinion would reflect some of the more negative comments. But that's opinions for you; they will vary. It's still nicely written.

Edited by Blue Blood

I honestly believe the 3DS version is the best handheld Sonic there's been so far. Feel free to read my FULL review (its finally here, after all the previews, lol) here : http://3dsblessed.com/?p=1355

Since writing that I've had a look around and noticed other reviews of the game haven't exactly been kind... half tempted to sit down and write a further article addressing all the criticisms. We'll see...

Edited by HelenBaby

3DS version controls well, especially for the first fully 3D Sonic game, but the stages themselves as well as many of the wisp powers ruin the experience. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

If nothing else watch from the 14:11 mark.

Staff edit: topic merged in part to insufficient content and effort of OP.