Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Reviews

Tails spin

Me and Doctor MK are doing the TSS Wii U review, with me being the second opinion. We're hoping to have the review up early next week. VizardJeffhog will be doing the 3DS review sometime after the US release. 

I just beat Windy Hill 1 and I've gotten to grips with the controls pretty easily. 

The IGN review was a little annoying. All I heard was complaints it's not fast, it's not like Generations, etc.

It's not trying to be Generations 2. It's going back to the SA2 routes by focusing on platforming and less on speed.

Yeah, i can't see Sega not trashing this gameplay for the boost styled ones after this. So sad....

I beg to differ. This was the first game to try it out. What SEGA will do is look at the reviews and fan reception in detail, and decide where to go from there. It's not like this game is getting negative reviews exclusively. They're mostly mixed, with some positive and some negative.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope they just refine the style, make it a little faster to shut up the "UR 2 SLOW" whiners, and get rid of the gyro controls.

• Thumbs Up 2

I beg to differ. This was the first game to try it out. What SEGA will do is look at the reviews and fan reception in detail, and decide where to go from there. It's not like this game is getting negative reviews exclusively. They're mostly mixed, with some positive and some negative.

Exactly, and we have yet to see more fan reception come into play as well. Besides, things were worse with Unleashed, yet that didn't provoke SEGA to ditch the boost gameplay!

Edited by Jovahexeon
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just as what happened with Unleashed. I guess the sad part is knowing that this will be the official restart of Sonic being considered a "bad franchise" again even though this time it's basically gained no reason to be called that.

I hope they just refine the style, make it a little faster to shut up the "UR 2 SLOW" whiners, and get rid of the gyro controls.

Making the level design feature MUCH more slopes and MUCH less dashpads would be a good start to this. Especially since they basically got rolling right with the rail mechanics just copypaste those on rolling and you're good tongue.png

Edited by Aspoopkara

Just as what happened with Unleashed. I guess the sad part is knowing that this will be the official restart of Sonic being considered a "bad franchise" again even though this time it's basically gained no reason to be called that.

Which isn't exactly gonna do this franchise any wonder, because worst case says they'll completely forget about Colors and Generations existing to get him out of that and act like things have always been terrible...again.

Edited by CreepySpiritSonic
  • Thumbs Up 3

I actually think one gaping flaw with Lost World is that it doesn't give you a tutorial before dropping you into the first level. Yes, tutorials can be long and boring, but for a brand new control scheme like this it really should have been there.

I know there's hint icons scattered around the level but the average player is not going to investigate them, and even if they do the text appears on the GamePad screen rather than in their face.

Heck, it's probably entirely possible someone could go through this entire game without knowing there's a run button. Well, maybe that's a slight exaggeration thanks to later levels that will require parkour, but it's certainly easy to miss it if you aren't previously aware and don't experiment with the controls.

• Thumbs Up 5

Exactly, and we have yet to see more fan reception come into play as well. Besides, things were worse with Unleashed, yet that didn't provoke SEGA to ditch the boost gameplay!

Heck, that made them refine the gameplay and take the right steps forward.

I'll be honest, the game is fairly slow. Sonic's running speed does feel like it could be a bit faster. The gyro controls too are a serious issue. They shouldn't be there. Actually, the Wisps shouldn't be there at all. They're implemented in a far more jarring manner than Colours, and for some people they weren't that good in the first place.

I actually think one gaping flaw with Lost World is that it doesn't give you a tutorial before dropping you into the first level. Yes, tutorials can be long and boring, but for a brand new control scheme like this it really should have been there.

Back at E3 I was saying I hope there's a forced tutorial stage. At worst, it could have been like Rush Adventure. A very short stage, where you have the option to play with or without the tutorial. Edited by Blue Blood

Really, all I'm gonna do is play the game for myself and judge it for myself. This is pretty much the same situation as Sonic Heroes, and I loved that game too.

Btw, I've played the 3DS version, I'll give it an 8/10. It's really fun, has full cutscenes, and controls well.

Getting the Wii U version today.

But the boost gameplay was considered the flawless (at the time) half of the game, so it's understandable why it was kept around. This time, SLW's gameplay as a whole is bringing the score down. It's not really the same thing that happened to Unleashed because it had two different gameplay styles: one that was praised and another that was heavily criticized. So I, too, think it's highly possible the boost gameplay may return.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love how IGN hyped this game so much, and then utterly shat on it when it finally came out.

IGN called Sonic 4 "a success" in this review too...

Just...huh?

• Thumbs Up 3

At this point the positive side had a bit of an edge over the negative percentage concerning reviews. In other terms though, this is going for one of those down-the-line mixed reception Sonic games.

I still think it's going to be a blast though!biggrin.png

But the boost gameplay was considered the flawless (at the time) half of the game, so it's understandable why it was kept around. This time, SLW's gameplay as a whole is bringing the score down. It's not really the same thing that happened to Unleashed because it had two different gameplay styles: one that was praised and another that was heavily criticized. So I, too, think it's highly possible the boost gameplay may return.

Oh hey MugiMikey! Never knew you were on this forum before.

(One Piece FTW by the way! <3)

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know about that. I know given SEGA's recent behavorial patterns, they have acted paranoid, but Lost World certainly seems quite ambitious as step away from the boost and the review count-up so far isn't a failure even by SEGA's standards.

As long as I you enjoy it, that's really all that matters. I hope they don't ditch the spin dash again :(

• Thumbs Up 1

What's sad is the game is like 3 points away from a Sonic 06 score.

..........................wtf

I'll just assume that isn't finished on metacritic's end yet, but god if it isn't updated then that's borderline-near sonic 05 territories of bad review. Which i REALLY doubt the game's anywhere near that kind of "bad".

God, why did this have to turn into another Unleashed when the story was just soooo gooooood. sad.png

Edited by Narukami07

You want to see the most biased shit ever? I just went to Metacritic and guess which reviews they picked out for this game.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/sonic-lost-world

And it's times like these that make me really wish that the game were out so I could be enjoying it right now instead of being bombarded with events trying to beatdown my hype for this game!

Okay guys, don't screw about Metacritic. I was on there about 15 minutes ago and they had no reviews up. The vedict? They're updating. Calm down.

• Thumbs Up 2