Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Reviews

Tails spin

I look here, I see positive reviews; I look there to see negative reviews.

Fuck this situation, I need to play this game for myself!angry.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't get some sites praising the game and then destroying it. Also i don't how these people are writing such bad reviews. Like seriously....ugh

I finished the game myself and i don't agree one bit with some stuff.

For me the game is around 8/10. They need to work on a few stuff for sure. Like the wisps & the parkour. It can get in your way sometimes but overall not bad.

This game shouldn't get anything below 6.5/10 and that being really critical.

In anycase just to let you know they won't abandon this gameplay style and direction. They did the same with Unleashed. They went to Colours & then to Generations. History gonna repeat itself. 

• Thumbs Up 2

My god, guys. Sonic's more patient than this.

And people thought he would bash it with another 4.9 score. :lol:

Ya happy guys?

Say what you will, but I can get behind this review. 

It seems that while the game is fine when you get used to it, its generally got too much of a different feel all around. I don't think the point is as much that you should recklessly boost around at top speed all the time, its moreso that the gameplay expected of Sonic is relatively simple and arcadey, leaning towards a balance of speed and platforming.

And to be brutally honest, it seems the level design, plus the fact that you have a seperation between walking and running, seems to make the gameplay veer too far off on the "platforming" side of the balancing act. 

The idea of using parkour to enhance flow is a good idea that I think should be kept. It just doesn't seem worked out to it's optimum, though, which is why I kind of hope they take this and find better ways to do it.

Edited by Aspoopkara

Metacritic score is rising! Last I checked, it reached 60!

Yeah, I think Sonic Team should just discard the 'variety' and focus on the new movement mechanics and refine the level design to accommodate. No more speed boosters, more proper momentum, less 2.5D stuff, and just try and make the core gameplay stand on its own merits for once. Unlike the Unleashed style of gameplay, Lost World's mechanics actually have the depth to be able to achieve that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reading the Destructoid review this stood out to me.

Jim gets it. I'm glad it's been pointed out in an actual, written review. Take notes, Sega.

Dammit, why did I have to run out of likes!?

But yeah, that is the key viewpoint SEGA aught to listen to. This game does oh so many things right, all it it needs is some fine-tuning and boom! You may finally have that core gameplay for Sonic finally!

Ok, you know what? Feel bad for giving so much shit to Jim now, that dude actually knew what he was talking about, unlike IGN, and I'll say, did not see that one coming, AT ALL... Jim's review not only is positive, but also is one of the biggest scores the game has of all the reviews... I think some of us need to write some emails apologizing

Read the reviews and I was certainly not expecting a lower score than I thought. Still I think SLW is a fun good game but can't really judge that until I get the final version for myself, although I will be playing with a friend over at the weekend.

Do agree that Destructoid's review had noted a few interesting points that makes it more of a better constructive review than any other critics so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, you know what? Feel bad for giving so much shit to Jim now, that dude actually knew what he was talking about, unlike IGN, and I'll say, did not see that one coming, AT ALL... Jim's review not only is positive, but also is one of the biggest scores the game has of all the reviews... I think some of us need to write some emails apologizing

Heh! You think we have to apologize, SEGA's got even more to do about that towel and everything!tongue.png

Oh wow, was not expecting to see a divide like this.

I actually approve of this new direction and would rather them continue on this path and NOT go back to the style of Unleashed, Colors, and Generations(the latter two which I enjoyed by the way). History repeats itself I guess.

Hoping that this forum doesn't get too crazy over these scores. XD

Edited by canderson

Sterling is the only reviewer I usually trust to actually understand games and game design. I almost totally agree with him from what I've played thus far.

On that note, I would so far give it a 7.5 myself. The controls are too hard to get used to. Sonic is supposed to be accessible, for kids. This isn't accessible, kids will play this walking around at normal speed and wondering why they die when they can't go fast enough. It /needs/ a tutorial. A good one. Stage design also doesnt work that well but it has moments where it shines.

It makes me sad that there are so many bad reviews who dont see the effort here, the genuinely good ideas bottlenecked by confused game design. I really hope Sega take constructive criticism on board rather than jumping ship here.

And yeah this game doesn't need to be so Mario-y. It really is not necessary. Mario mis-en-scene does not make a good game, game design they compliments gameplay does.

Edit: for the sake of clarity, tutorials aren't inherently bad. We dont need tutorials for games with obvious controls, you know how to move, you know how to jump. Games with controls that arent immediately obvious or that dont teach you through level design like mega man does need a clear tutorial that doesnt baby you and isn't overly intrusive. Its not that hard. It just feels like a lot of designers missed game design 101 sometimes.

Slw's tutorials are intrusive because you have to stop dead to find the lil gamepad button quickly before it disappears. Very clumsy.

Edited by Wonder SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 2

Reading the Destructoid review this stood out to me.Jim gets it. I'm glad it's been pointed out in an actual, written review. Take notes, Sega.

Agreed. Don't change the gameplay style Sonic Team, Sonic NEEDS a core gameplay style like Mario. You change too fast too frequently.

Agreed. Don't change the gameplay style Sonic Team, Sonic NEEDS a core gameplay style like Mario. You change too fast too frequently.

Even the latest Mario games are a bit stale, despite what reviewers give them as they suck up to Nintendo.

• Thumbs Up 1

This game is really trying to be a Mario game. For the better, honestly. But it;s really really trying to be Mario so blatantly.

I even noticed the other day that the level tropes

Are literally the same order/formula that New Super Mario Bros. has done three times now.  Grass, Desert, Tropical, Snow, Jungle, Sky, Lava.  At least they had those random super-creative acts thrown in during each one.

EDIT: Urk didn't close spoiler tag.  Sorry to anyone upset (though I think the tropes were well known by now).

Funny, after all these years with people complaining of tutorials, now Sonic Lost World has none and everyone thinks it should have one... 

This game really really needs one.  The others didn't.

Soniko's Review Tiem. WARNING, HEAVY SPOILERS, if you didn't watch the stream from end to finish the other night, avoid reading this kthnx.

Omg Soniko ilu you literally had the exact same experience with the game as me it seems.  Great review.

Back at E3 I was saying I hope there's a forced tutorial stage. At worst, it could have been like Rush Adventure. A very short stage, where you have the option to play with or without the tutorial.

The 3DS version's tutorial stage is linear but actually feels like a level, and doesn't feel unfun as a stage of it's own.  I'd compare it to Windmill Isle Act 1 in Unleashed - shorter than most levels but still fun to play.  No SRA/Colours DS crap here.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

I even noticed the other day that the level tropes

Are literally the same order/formula that New Super Mario Bros. has done three times now.  Grass, Desert, Tropical, Snow, Jungle, Sky, Lava.  At least they had those random super-creative acts thrown in during each one.

OMG you have no idea how much this bugs me!

Sky Road is literaly just Windy Hill/Desert Ruins with a cloudy backdrop. It the same thing NSMB does. And how often does Sonic do sky levels like that anyway?  Never. They're always ruins or batteships. So when we finally get a new sky level it's uncannily similar to the way NSMB does it. Not to mention all of the levels are far closer to NSMB designs than anything I've ever seen in Sonic before.

Sonic-Lost-World-28428TropicalCoast_Zone

468px-World3-1StarCoin1.jpg

The other levels all reek of NSMB too. I don't mind the simpler art style at all. In fact, I positively adore it. But I want to play a Sonic game, you know?

Also, the end of Lava Volcano act 3. I think they literally just C&P'd NSMB right there.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Glad to see that reception isn't an overall terrible stance concerning Lost World so far.