Awoo.

Should bad language and profanity be an issue?

SnipSnap

I'm someone who nearly never curses, and if that's on the account of me having some sort of negative connotation to it then sorry for me. I just don't see the reason for me to use them verbally. On the internet is a whole other thing though.

I try to keep my profanities to a minimum because I want people to understand the tone I'm going for in my messages.  For better or for worse, swear words for some reason have a much stronger impact and can lead people to assume anger and hostility.  But I have nothing against swear words and I would hate for them to be censored.

As far as I'm concerned, censoring does nothing but limit conversation.  Sure, I know that pretty much all of us can survive without spewing several profanities, but the freedom to be able to express our emotions in a virtually unlimited manner makes this place feel a lot more alive and flowing as opposed to strict and overtly formal.  Coming from another board which had several pages worth of rules, it was always strenuous to adjust a message to make sure it coincided with the rules.  Now, that isn't to say that I don't do that here.  I do make sure I follow the rules to the greatest of my understanding and abilities, but when I feel like it's okay if I let out an "F. bomb" here and there or word my phrases just a little bit stronger so people can understand why something is important to me, it is so much more freeing and satisfying.

I'd also argue that even with profanity filters, kids know what is being said anyway and can just as easily be influenced.  "F***?  What does f*** mean?  Food?"  Yeah, no, I don't think too many kids are oblivious to the word fuck.  Even more humorously is when people think adding just one asterisk counts as sufficient coverage.  "Sh*t?  What the heck is this shot?  Is that what he's saying to me?!"

So yeah, even though I try to limit my own profanities, I don't think they should be censored and I don't think think that censoring them would have an impact anyway.

fuck

Edited by Spooky Akita
  • Thumbs Up 2

OOOOKKkkk.... better to tone your words down.

Its the internet, we have freedom of speech. You can't dictate what other people can say or not.

I'm pretty sure we know how to limit our swears either way. I swear yes but not as often.

I have to say that while I am not a cursing person, as I said before, I know people are going to say them. But I do know that when they are used too many times in a particular post, like for example (I am not using any particular words here just so you know! so I am  not actually cursing before everyone starts gasping...)

That Lemony game is like Apricot annoying And I hate that Banana because it makes the cherry characters look so pinapple Dumb!

It is so totally distracting and I cannot even see the point in reading the whole post... Because I am distracted by all the curse words. What is the point of this? The person hates a certain game because it ruins the appearance of the characters....but you miss the point because there is a million distracting words!

So I can agree, I  can't stop people from saying them, but it would be good to use them...um..sparingly, and when it is ...umm... appropriate? uh, you know what I mean!!!

Personally I swear quite a lot  (even at college) but literally everyone does it where I am, it's not uncommon at all. Especially where I am as it is well and truly grim up north.

I only use it myself for exasperation and when I'm finding something VERY difficult though.

I used to swear a lot, but I thought what I was doing was wrong. Partly(mostly) due to religious morals and beliefs and secondly, its just not me. Swearing is just not for everyone I guess. I always just think "I could never see Jesus or God saying this or that." However, while I think it's wrong, I'm not going to try forcing others to stop swearing. (Maybe asking them to not use it around me to make it more comfortable) The world we live in is a world of freedom. Everyone has their own moral agency. If they wish to use language in their vocabulary, then that's that. Do I wish that swearing wasn't as common as it is? Sure definitely. But I'm not going to judge someone only based on that.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't have any real issue with bad language/cussing when it isn't over-the-top.

I just find it pretty pathetic those who use cluster F-bombs and copious swearing in a scenario in which it is obvious that they're getting way too overly-provoked over something that really doesn't 'justify' such an excessively profane response.

Another thing is that calling someone a 'cunt' over questionable behavior in a topic and getting posi-repped en-masse for it is disgusting and below-the-belt no matter how obnoxious that person is.

• Thumbs Up 3

s though social etiquette means nothing simply because you're behind a computer screen.

It means the same it does in real life- a collection of ideas and suggestions people forcefully think are rules and that everyone is free to ignore, and then suffer the consequences of said ignoring.

Baden-Powell said of cursing that it was such a marvelous thing it should be saved only for important moments, or something on those lines. I say that so far as you're aware of context (perhaps in a posh dinner party it's a bad idea to enter a room shouting "oy you fucking cunts" unless you want to cause an impression), curse all you want. Literally, even. Send some bad eye about.

Should it be an issue? On its own it shouldn't, its all about a persons intent when they're using the language in question. Unless there are people dropping that type of language just for the sake of it or people using it to attack others then everything should be fine if you ask me. I just swear whenever I feel like incorporating it into my speech.

If there was a filter I wouldn't be bothered by it if it was optional.

I will say that I really do not like seeing Jesus's name being used in a negative context. Like when people are like "Jesus f-ing christ." I just find that disrespectful and unacceptable. But seeing how many here do not share that same view, I can't really judge them or say anything bad about them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Let's not forget that in the right circumstances, swearing can actually make something a million times more hilarious, too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRx49-leiRE

Ultimately though, I think context is more important than anything else. Saying the word "bitch" to refer to complaining? Maybe a bit strong, but fine. Calling someone that? Definitely not acceptable, at least I wouldn't think so. I think the overall standard is you can say whatever you desire so long as it is polite towards others. Even if a person doesn't condone swearing, I wouldn't say it's impolite to use it around them; that's their own problem at the end of the day. A sharp contrast to actually insulting a person.

Another thing is that calling someone a 'cunt' over questionable behavior in a topic and getting posi-repped en-masse for it is disgusting and below-the-belt no matter how obnoxious that person is.

When has this happened? Because it will not be tolerated by me, at the very least.

When has this happened? Because will not be tolerated by me, at the very least.

I believe one of the moderator's did it before. Caused quite the controversy if my memory is correct.

When has this happened? Because it will not be tolerated by me, at the very least.

She's referring to that time over a year ago when former(?) SSMBer JXJ made a topic that was admittedly rather sexist where Carbo called him a... well, that word. Before the topic was deleted, that particular post of his had over 60 "likes."

She's referring to that time over a year ago when former(?) SSMBer JXJ made a topic that was admittedly rather sexist where Carbo called him a... well, that word. Before the topic was deleted, that particular post of his had over 60 "likes."

Apparently, c*** does grab people's attention, because I guess that is when they think people just had the guts to say it right out.

Just anywhere.

Edited by SnipSnap

I believe one of the moderator's did it before. Caused quite the controversy if my memory is correct.

I remember that, actually. That was definitely an uncalled for instance of swearing.

I try to avoid swearing when I can - I don't feel it is a good practice either way. Besides, whenever I do feel the urge to curse, I end up having to come up with some non-vulgar equivalent.

It's easier to swear, it's more difficult to come up with something clean and witty with an equal amount of humor value

It's kind of like a hard-mode, now that I think about it. :P

• Thumbs Up 4

Apparently, c*** does grab people's attention, because I guess that is when they think people just had the guts to say it right out.

Just anywhere.

It wasn't the word so much as its usage, though.  It was directed specifically at another member, which is in very poor taste.

I think it's in poor taste to still bring up the issue like it's some recurring problem. It's been discussed over and over again, the topic has been deleted, and there hasn't really been another instance like that since.

At this point there is nothing to be gained from the topic itself being brought up again and again like it's still some great problem hovering over the boards, it was nearly two years ago and everyone has already either learned a lesson or doesn't even know what we're talking about. 

I think it's time to move on too any new issues at hand. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I think it's in poor taste to still bring up the issue like it's some recurring problem.

No one here ever said that it was.  It's merely an example of context and intent as opposed to general usage.  I'll concede that it is an example that doesn't need to be specifically mentioned time and time again, though, as using specifics in this case only serves to shame the parties involved.

• Thumbs Up 2

I used to swear a lot, but I thought what I was doing was wrong. Partly(mostly) due to religious morals and beliefs and secondly, its just not me. Swearing is just not for everyone I guess. I always just think "I could never see Jesus or God saying this or that." However, while I think it's wrong, I'm not going to try forcing others to stop swearing. (Maybe asking them to not use it around me to make it more comfortable) The world we live in is a world of freedom. Everyone has their own moral agency. If they wish to use language in their vocabulary, then that's that. Do I wish that swearing wasn't as common as it is? Sure definitely. But I'm not going to judge someone only based on that.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. I don't like profanity, I don't like it at all, and I definitely don't use it. I don't swear here in any of my posts, status updates or anywhere else, even IRL with my everyday speech. That hasn't always been the case in my life but my days of swearing are long gone behind me and I intend on keeping it that way (I think the last time I used profanity was when I was 15 years old; I'm almost 30 now). I honestly was doing it when I was in high school because everyone else was doing it but it got to the point that every time I would use profanity, it would bother me, as it just wasn't me and I was doing it because it was one of the "cool" and popular things to do.

Now do I expect people on and off the Internet not to swear at all? No, not at all as that isn't a reasonable request amid various ranges of morality and freedom. So when it comes to profanity, whether I hear it or see it when I read something, it just comes to the point that I have to deal with it as people can use such language if they want to, whether I personally like it or not. In the end, as long as I am personally not swearing, I am tolerating of it with others doing it as I pretty much have to be tolerant with profanity seeing how common it is in speech today. 

• Thumbs Up 3