Awoo.

Should bad language and profanity be an issue?

SnipSnap

Only things that even bug me about people cursing is when they overuse it. There are both good and not so good ways to be doing it. If you are doing it for comedy, or for being mad at a video game like AVGN and other games do it, then its alot more accepted these days. When you are cursing around trying to strengthen your arguments about things, honestly, it sort of devalues what you say or is likely to make people not take you as seriously if you must curse to try and get your point across. There is just a time and a place for it usually. Even then, don't go crazy with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

No one here ever said that it was.  It's merely an example of context and intent as opposed to general usage.  

The issue is that it doesn't even have that much relevance to the situation, not anymore beyond any hypothetical situation one could come up with. It doesn't have anything at all to do with how profanity is used on the boards currently, and even the way it was brought up in this topic was basically a random aside with no context to the topic. At this point it's so far removed from how the boards operate now that the only thing bringing it up does is try and shame anyone involved with it.

That's why I think it best to just drop it and move on. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Can someone explain to me what makes words such as "fuck" "shit" "crap" etc inherently bad words beyond "mommy said so"?

I could look at the Eifel Tower and say "wow that thing is fucking huge" and nowhere am I targetting a person or subject negatively, yet some people will act like I just called their mom a whore. Why?

Edited by Solkia
  • Thumbs Up 3

Though if you stand next it and say "that looks like a fucking huge dick" the ire you'll get is somewhat more deserved.

• Thumbs Up 6

I feel sorry for anyone who's dick looks like the Eifel Tower.

Basically what I'm getting at is words that can be used in a derogitory sense shouldn't be shunned solely on the basis that they can be used derogitorily(is that even a word). I can name several words I could use derogitorily that are considered socially acceptable.

Can someone explain to me what makes words such as "fuck" "shit" "crap" etc inherently bad words beyond "mommy said so"?

I think "fuck" can justifiably be considered objectionable because it's such a blunt, and often times crude, way of referring to a sex act.  "Shit" is something that just has a negative connotation through years of misuse, and is crap even a bad word anymore?  The fact that it can be said in an E-rated game and G-rated TV show leads me to believe that, although it is considered improper, it's as offensive as "doodoo."

That being said, I know they're no longer used in that connotation, so I see no logical reason why society should still be offended by "shit."  Whatever stance you have on the word "fuck" depends largely on your stance on sex and openness towards sex, which we're not here to debate.

Edited by Spooky Akita

Againn, I think it just comes down to what people see as morally acceptable to them. I don't see the issue of me, a very religious Mormon, being uncomfortable with using or hearing certain words. I don't feel comfortable and it detracts me from feeling my gospel.

"Fuck" doesn't just have a sexual connotation anymore. Funnily enough, it is an extremely flexible word in the English language due to the way we have so frivolously used it. Aside from a verb, it can be a noun and term of endearment, an interjection, exclamation, adjective, adverb, a tmesis ("abso-fucking-lutely"). It can nearly be anything. "Fuck" is an amazing word in its own way.

• Thumbs Up 6

"Fuck" doesn't just have a sexual connotation anymore. Funnily enough, it is an extremely flexible word in the English language due to the way we have so frivolously used it. Aside from a verb, it can be a noun and term of endearment, an interjection, exclamation, adjective, adverb, a tmesis ("abso-fucking-lutely"). It can nearly be anything. "Fuck" is an amazing word in its own way.

True, but the sexual connotation it does have is still highly relevant.  People still use phrases like "we fucked," "he's fucking," and "Santa fucks," etc. so it's not as though its meaning is any less apparent than words like shit, whilst words such as "bastard" have come to mean any kind of disagreeable person regardless of the circumstances of their birth.

Edited by Spooky Akita

True, but the sexual connotation it does have is still highly relevant.  People still use phrases like "we fucked," "he's fucking," and "Santa fucks," etc. so it's not as though its meaning is any less apparent than words like shit, whilst words such as "bastard" have come to mean any kind of disagreeable person regardless of the circumstances of their birth.

Well, I didn't say such a connotation was irrelevant; just that it wasn't the only one, which is true with many generic curse words. They have evolved use outside of their original intended negative meanings that faulting them on their own merits is subsequently tricky, hence the common blowback here against painting every instance of cursing as bad without regard for context.

Well, I didn't say such a connotation was irrelevant; just that it wasn't the only one, which is true with many generic curse words. They have evolved use outside of their original intended negative meanings that faulting them on their own merits is subsequently tricky, hence the common blowback here against painting every instance of cursing as bad without regard for context.

Oh, well, of course.  My main point, though, was that it does have a reason to be considered vulgar outside of "because mom said so" as Solkia puts it.  That being said, I think most of us here are mature enough to understand appropriate usage of the word.  (By appropriate usage, I of course mean the non-offensive way to sprinkle it liberally throughout every single post)  So it's not an issue here, but I think there's still good reason for people to not go out into the real world and start shouting it into the ears of children. XP

Edited by Spooky Akita
  • Thumbs Up 1

markey_mark_wtf.gif

Well, he does have a wife and 364 days to kill tongue.png...

Anyways, I personally sware and members who have been around for quite the while know I do, I use it practically all the time and I really don't give 2 shits about who sees it, if you somehow found a way to register here you're old enough to see how people from all parts of the world think, act, and talk. were indivduals who have different ways of thinking, its what makes this place soo pleasent to be around sometimes.

I've earned my right to sware, don't think its right to censor me because some members want the board G-rated.

You don't personally like it? fine whatever thats your issue. but its really not a good idea to start telling us how to talk because thats a real good way to piss somebody off here, hell its a good way to get decked in real life too. theres a literal ton of word filters for all browsers to make the bad words go away, get one and enjoy never seeing those words again, at least when it comes to the internet, good luck with the rest.

Edited by goku262002

I don't think anyone in the topic has gone as far as to tell anyone else what to do. Most people are simply expressing their opinions. 

Like I said in Goofy's status, most people will get defensive when they feel they are being judged/told what to do. It's a part of human nature. Thus people on both sides of the issue can react with responses that reflect this idea.The idea that we should be respectful of other people's wishes is a nice thought, but is really too vague to be put into any sort of coherent action other than keeping it in mind...which I think many of us do. 

The important thing to keep in consideration is that for the most part you can not control how other people act, but you do have some control over how it affects you. I think many people here who are not fans of swearing have shown great maturity and insight about this fact and have come across as both understanding while making their own ideas and feelings known. 

The link to the swearing filters is very useful and I thank it for being shared, hopefully this is a tool that can be utilized by members who feel it necessary. 

Other then that I'm not sure how much else there is to say, but I'll leave the topic open in case there is.....

I wouldn't want to censor anyone =P

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh I'm not being defensive, just overly blunt as usual sometimes its hard to tell the 2 apart.

I think it may be a good idea to maybe make a pinned topic about this issue and where the board ultimately stands on it. because I feel that with new members coming every few months this issue is going to crop up occasionally.

Hm, another topic to do with swearing...

Well, I don't think a language filter should be added to the site, most of us should know when swearing is acceptable. It all depends on context, using the word 'fucking' for example, is OK (I think) when used to express a strong opinion e.g "this game is fucking horrible", but it shouldn't be used in aggression, targeting a member, e.g "you fucking asshole" (I'm pretty much stating whats already been said, aren't I)

So, swear away, just don't turn it into an insult. This goes for 'G' rated language too. Calling someone an idiot can be just as bad as calling someone a bastard.

The thing about word filters is that they don't really address why the use of a word is bad. Words don't have some kind of inherent immorality, you're not hurt simply by seeing the words "fuck" or "shit". The problem is when the intent is to hurt people; for example, if someone says "you're a fucking shithead". That's obviously inappropriate, and the mods would rightly tear them a new asshole for it. But it'd still be inappropriate if it was word filtered to read "you're a cuddling poopoohead", because the intent to hurt people is still there, you've just thrown a thin sheet over it.

Slurs are a bit of a different category because the larger context of the word has a lot more weight than it does with the average curse, but the logic still holds up; a word filter isn't going to address the problem of someone who feels it's appropriate to drop those kinds of words into a casual conversation, and there are some situations where they can be used without being offensive to whatever group they were intended to demean (for example, discussions related to how they usually are used to demean a group).

Basically I think this is something best handled on a case-by-case basis by the mods based on the intent and potential harm of the specific usage, and not a blanket ban just because the words are naughty.

• Thumbs Up 9

I think profanity should be allowed, as long as it doesn't become like this...

God, I can't even imagine what the place would be like if swearing were like that...

That seems so tame to me now. mellow.png  

Though if you stand next it and say "that looks like a fucking huge dick" the ire you'll get is somewhat more deserved.

I'd laugh and take it as a joke but that's me. 

Did you notice the Capitol Building looks a giant boob?

Edited by BW199148