Awoo.

Are the chances of Sonic going back to Boost-gameplay higher now after the reviews for Lost World?

Narukami07

Seems like something we could expect but it'd be terrible if they did

Edited by Djawed

Seems like something we could expect but it'd be terrible

"Control the bubble shield with gyro controls!!!!"

oh. you were answering the title

Edited by Autosaver

i for one think keeping the on-rails gameplay for the mach speed levels was a fine approach. Hopefully we can get a balanced mix of those levels and the 3D parkour levels in the next Sonic game.

I would also throw in the 2D levels as well, but ONLY if the level design is anything like the classics games, Advance 1, or the multi-plane levels of Classic Sonic's Generations levels. It just seems that all of the 2D levels in today's 3D Sonic games either have to be linear and/or feature block platforming and be used as a crutch to make up for the smaller amount of 3D levels. And that's not even getting into Dimps's automated cutscenes that they call level design in recent games.

Edited by Yeow the Baneful
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't see the point in bringing back the boost when the spindash is almost exactly like the boost only it controls far better

• Thumbs Up 3

You know what I'd like? I'd like them to go back to the stage design they had going on in Generations, but replace the boost with the spin dash and alter the stage design to accommodate for that, and maybe throw in the parkour since that's been received pretty well so far. If Sega really wants to focus on slow-platforming but at the same time put an emphasis on speed, I think that would result in the perfect combination.

So essentially, refined adventure gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

I thought they were SO close with Lost world. They should have just made it a mix of Lost World and Generations. The only problem I had with generations is that it was JUST running, never any platforming parts (that functioned properly with the slippery speed at least). I always thought they should separate it into tiers since the generations speed was too fast for quick and easy platforming, or killing enemies and just exploring, but now lost world is slow enough to where it loses that speed intensity that makes it feel like sonics REALLY going fast.

They should just make it so you can switch between lost world speed(s) and generation speed, with the click of a button (not holding down a button. that could get old since i would hope half the level is dedicated to speed and the other slower but still quick and flowing platforming)

AND keep the parkour idea. These could blend so well... And with next gen consoles, they could make a game fit for every occasion, speed, exploring, platforming, all because they let you switch between different speed tiers.

The level design could be awesome with this. I would imagine it being split up into 2 main section types for a level, that just alternate. Maybe you start off the level running at generations speed, if not difficult then just for fun, then you come across an explorable platforming level that you can still run through fairly quickly, but you switch to the slower speed so you have more control. and the game goes from speed section to explorable section. Save the animals in that section and then continue to the next explorable section via the next speed section. Sonic basically runs from animal cage to animal cage saving them... as he probably would in a show lol with both speeds you would feel like you're basically controlling SONIC... not some slower version of him or some super fast but slippery and wanky version of him... a balanced version of him. that lets you experience the best of both his worlds (pun not intended)

And with the variety of control, hub worlds could ACTUALLY be awesone 8D

My hopes are they made Lost World just so they could test the tier system for a next gen title.

I could see the Boost end up making a comeback, but I have a feeling if it does, it'll be getting a major overhaul. 

I liked the way it was implemented in Colors, where the meter was gimped and you had to rely on White Wisps to boost. Seeing as how Iizuka wants the Wisps to become a staple of the Sonic series, something similar to Colors seems like the way to go for me, since the game didn't focus on boosting and was more platforming heavy. 

I don't want the Boost to make a return, but having it be more similar to Colors than Unleashed/Generations is fine by me. I have a feeling if they do bring it back, they'll make it similar to Colors in some regard and try to combine it with Lost World's gameplay style.

Why not both?

I liked how the boost was in Lost World, because let's face it, the spindash is the boost. It's just slower, that's all there is when it comes to differences. Still plowing through enemies, still breaking stage hazards, fastest speed, etc. Super Sonic even has a boost in the game and I have NO idea what the difference is between it and the normal spindash.

They literally gave the spindash a different animation to match the boost and both are the same thing really. I'd say I would like having a run button and a boost button, but that's what we got in Lost World so...

The Spindash actually can't plow through certain enemies, in particular the ones you need to use the flying kick on. Imagine my surprise when I couldn't just Spindash through Egg Pawns!

For the record, I think it's a good thing that the Spindash can't just plow through anything, but like I've said of the homing attack VS flying kick, it should be more obvious which enemies are immune and which aren't. Do what Spyro does and have enemies that you need to use a particular attack on have some sort of recurring visual indicator that they can't use one method of attack. 

At least in the case of the Windy Hill snail robots (can't remember their name), you just bounce back rather than taking damage, unlike the Pawns and Crabmeats. Dunno why that wasn't universal. :V

I just noticed I never replied to this topic before.

To answer the topic question, not really? I mean, I guess it could go either way. Since I liked Lost World a lot, I'd like them to take it's good ideas and improve on it's gameplay, and I think it's reasonable to assume that's the direction they'll go since that's what happened with the boost games.

At this point, I'd say it's more likely that they'll improve Lost World's formula via the following games akin to Unleashed's boost formula's evolution.

Yeah, as I posted last night, assuming that there will be more games using the Parkour-style gameplay, this seems pretty much to be the Unleashed of the new Parkour era, so, I think it'll get better.

The Spindash actually can't plow through certain enemies, in particular the ones you need to use the flying kick on. Imagine my surprise when I couldn't just Spindash through Egg Pawns!

For the record, I think it's a good thing that the Spindash can't just plow through anything, but like I've said of the homing attack VS flying kick, it should be more obvious which enemies are immune and which aren't. Do what Spyro does and have enemies that you need to use a particular attack on have some sort of recurring visual indicator that they can't use one method of attack. 

At least in the case of the Windy Hill snail robots (can't remember their name), you just bounce back rather than taking damage, unlike the Pawns and Crabmeats. Dunno why that wasn't universal. :V

I don't see the point of the kick attack at all really. I don't see what's added when I have to kick an enemy instead of homing attacking it. I mean, either way I'm getting rid of it right? Very seldom would I actually kick one enemy into another without stopping and aiming first, which even then was really loose.

If they do keep the kick attack though (which is a 50-50 at this point the way I see it), I really hope they do what you mentioned which is basically make it more obvious when I should kick an enemy or not. I also don't appreciate being punished for using the wrong attack method with Eggpawns and such as well, that was stupid.

Kicking honestly seems redundant to me.  It just slows the game down.  As does waiting around to get more homing attack lock-ons on a single enemy, come to that, but at least it's logical and consistent with your standard mode of attack (which is also your standard mode of aerial movement - jumping).  I'm going to be honest and say that I really don't think Sonic is the kind of game that needs that many controls and options - just a single, simple set of controls that is very flexible in what it can be applied to.

As to whether they should bring back the boost - shrug.  I prefer the parkour in principle, but whether it's boost or parkour, you're spending most of your time throwing yourself into a bottomless pit, so it doesn't really matter if they don't improve their level design.

• Thumbs Up 2