Awoo.

Lost World: Discussion, Impressions and Fan Reviews

Carbuncle

That's over half of the rest of the game!

Aye. That's just how it goes. Unfortunately...

Sonic Team are just hooked on gimmick stages, or otherwise would rather create a bigger game with crap content than a smaller game with content that's actually enjoyable.

Well you just did one of the crappier Wii stages, that being FF2. It's not too bad once you understand it, but it's still not great. Anyway, I think the following levels are the ones to look out for (spoilers if you don't know what levels to expect or what each act is like):

Silent Forest 2 (especially the last part with the searchlight)

Silent Forest 3 (ice and pits galore)

Sky Road 1 (parts when you have to completely stop to slowly beat enemies)

Sky Road 3 (crap)

Lava Mountain entirely (1 is a boss fight, 2 is hell, 3 is annoying but essentially fine, 4 is final boss)

Silent Forest Act 2 looks like a fun easy stage in theory, which totally shits on you my showing up how bad the momentum-less and jumping controls are when tight platforming is required. It took me forever to work out how to use the music wisp which was a pointless addition to that stage. The boss is okay though.

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

You're currently on the absolute worst level in the game.  It never really reaches Windy Hill 1 enjoyment again but if you've beaten Frozen Factory 3 you've got through the worst of it.

You'd be surprised how much of the level can be skipped though on replays, both with and without the Quake Wisp.

I find the puzzle levels on 3DS very comparable to the Unleashed HD Werehog - slow and endless first time, very speedrunnable once you know what can and can't be skipped.

That's a relief. That at least gives me some motivation to see the rest of the game.

So Dimps have apparently screwed the pooch once more?

*sigh* I think at this point they may as well just separate from Sonic games altogether, since they still seem to have their head up their asses towards anything physics-related. >.>

For what it's worth, the final main platforming stage is awesome, though is marred by the first half being full of gyro controlled gimmick rocket riding.  The second half is parkour platforming goodness though.

Finally picked up the game for wii u last night at the midnight release.
I just got past the frozen factory zones.
I am REALLY enjoying this game so far...
Here are my thoughts so far...

I really feel like this might be the best sonic has ever felt in 3d,

There are times where the 2d sections feel like you are not playing a sonic game, but they do feel like some other good side scroller from like the genesis days so Im not complaining much, there are moments in the 2d sections that feel very sonicy though.
The way the new homing attack feels and being able to spindash and the run trigger make them funner than colors 2d sections to me.
I thought most of colors 2d sections were kind of boring to be honest.

Here are some nitpicks with the game...
You cant turn off subtitles or switch the language to japanese to the best of my knowledge. (I do love the current cast though so not a huge deal)
Story seems a bit rushed but still good (was probably done so you can get to the gameplay faster)
Something does feel a bit off with sonics run as far as turning goes.
Super Peel out feels gimped (am I using it wrong?)
It does have moments where it feels like main levels should be side quests or missions. (rolling snowball)

Also a note for the snowball level on wii u
one of the button lets you BREAK which helps allot.
I got through the level in a few minutes.

Things I love about the game

Might be the best sonic has felt in 3d at times...when the game shines it really shines...(I got emotional with the epicness of frozen factory zone 1)
Love the way the homing attack feels

Good music
Good voice acting (Even if some of the dialogue is a bit cheezey, but not in a bad way)
Love all the different things u can do with the buttons and how the game makes you utilize them
Feels like the game would have been released sometime after sonic 3d blast
Love the spindash
Love the parkour
Love jumping up and twirling while your skating on the ice.
Love emphasis on platforming

So far I would give the game at its best a 9.5 out of 10
and at its worst a 6 out of 10
(The game is so varied that its hard to just give it a set score)

I really do love that sonic team realized they were in a rut with how sonic controls so they completely changed it up.

Edited by TheDanimator

Got it about an hour and a half ago on Wii U, just got done with the Desert Ruins world.

So I'm actually really enjoying the game so far. I might dare say it actually feels challenging sometimes and I have to think before I leap so to say. I feel like I'm actually playing a game, instead of just blasting through every stage without hardly a consequence for recklessness. That said however, it feels like with Lost World that if I'm good enough, I can eventually blast through these stages at ease, and I bet it'll feel fantastic even. That's totally how it should be with these games.

Every fault I've had so far has totally been on me and not the game being weird or something rather. While I still want to hold out until I beat the game completely, I'm not seeing the complaints about this game, other than maybe it does feel a bit slow at times. The game could've benefitted from a proper tutorial (as much as I hate them usually) since it is a lot to take in at first. However, I'm slowly getting used to it and it's becoming more and more fun and rewarding.

If I'm to be frank, I'm honestly starting to believe a lot of the dings that people have given on this game are from a lack of patience. The game isn't built like the past 3 we had, you can't just blast through them, and requires some skill and thought process to play. But yes it isn't perfect, since like I said I think it could've been a bit faster at times and the controls weren't properly introduced (though they handle just fine the more you figure it out and get good with them).

Music is fucking more fantastic than ever btw

• Thumbs Up 8

Welp. I got my copy a few hours ago. Let's take an inside look at some of my reactions.

Windy Hill, Zone 1

"Jesus, these controls are weird. Fuck these Wisps, dude."

Windy Hill Zone 2

"JESUS, these controls are weird. Was...was that a boss? Really?"

Windy Hill Zone 3

"Oh, well, this is pretty cool. I can just spin dash the whole time. Hey, wall running isn't so- OH CHRIST WHAT'S HAPPENING WHY AM I GOING SO FAST"

Windy Hill Zone 4

"Hrmm...well, this is ambitious, to say the least. I'll keep on trucking."

Desert Ruins Zone 1

"Fuck, these controls, man. Come on...AW COME ON FUCKING WORMS."

Desert Ruins Zone 2

"Fuck, these goddamn controls!"

Dessert Ruins Zone 3

"WHEE CANDY"

Tropical Coast Zone 1

"I'm underwater now, I suppose."

Tropical Coast Zone 3

"HNNG THIS MUSIC"

Tropical Coast Zone 4

"AHAHA WOW THESE ROCKET WISPS DON'T SUCK AT ALL"

Frozen Factory Zone 1

"Okay yeah, that's enough. I'm done with this."

So yeah. I hate this game.  Rather, it's not left a good impression on me, in the very least.  The controls are horrid.  Sonic controls like...like nothing I've ever even played before.  He's slower than fuck in the air, and on the ground he's jerky.  The homing attack/kick/double jump trinity is a mess, and I never know what's going to kill an enemy and what's going to hurt me.  The parkour is also extremely slow and dissatisfying, which definitely isn't a plus, being that it's the catch of the game.

Edited by Master of Disguise Wario
  • Thumbs Up 1

Welp. I got my copy a few hours ago. Let's take an inside look at some of my reactions.

Windy Hill, Zone 1

"Jesus, these controls are weird. Fuck these Wisps, dude."

Windy Hill Zone 2

"JESUS, these controls are weird. Was...was that a boss? Really?"

Windy Hill Zone 3

"Oh, well, this is pretty cool. I can just spin dash the whole time. Hey, wall running isn't so- OH CHRIST WHAT'S HAPPENING WHY AM I GOING SO FAST"

Windy Hill Zone 4

"Hrmm...well, this is ambitious, to say the least. I'll keep on trucking."

Desert Ruins Zone 1

"Fuck, these controls, man. Come on...AW COME ON FUCKING WORMS."

Desert Ruins Zone 2

"Fuck, these goddamn controls!"

Dessert Ruins Zone 3

"WHEE CANDY"

Tropical Coast Zone 1

"I'm underwater now, I suppose."

Tropical Coast Zone 3

"HNNG THIS MUSIC"

Tropical Coast Zone 4

"AHAHA WOW THESE ROCKET WISPS DON'T SUCK AT ALL"

Frozen Factory Zone 1

"Okay yeah, that's enough. I'm done with this."

So yeah. I hate this game.  Rather, it's not left a good impression on me, in the very least.  The controls are horrid.  Sonic controls like...like nothing I've ever even played before.  He's slower than fuck in the air, and on the ground he's jerky.  The homing attack/kick/double jump trinity is a mess, and I never know what's going to kill an enemy and what's going to hurt me.  The parkour is also extremely slow and dissatisfying, which definitely isn't a plus, being that it's the catch of the game.

which version?

I don't understand why Sonic is slow in the air. Some jumps he carries his momentum brilliantly and you can cross the huge quicksand pits in DR1, other times he hardly moved at all. This applies to both running jumps and jumps from a standstill.

So, a couple of tips after playing the first 3 levels

-If you have trouble jumping from one small platform to another, rev up the Peel-out for 3-4 seconds to reach top speed after moving

-Asteroid can jump higher if you hold down the jump button for a bit.

So, a couple of tips after playing the first 3 levels

-If you have trouble jumping from one small platform to another, rev up the Peel-out for 3-4 seconds to reach top speed after moving

Just look out for when the wheel-o-feet blur appears. Once it's there, you know the peel-out is fully charged.

Got it about an hour and a half ago on Wii U, just got done with the Desert Ruins world.

So I'm actually really enjoying the game so far. I might dare say it actually feels challenging sometimes and I have to think before I leap so to say. I feel like I'm actually playing a game, instead of just blasting through every stage without hardly a consequence for recklessness. That said however, it feels like with Lost World that if I'm good enough, I can eventually blast through these stages at ease, and I bet it'll feel fantastic even. That's totally how it should be with these games.

Every fault I've had so far has totally been on me and not the game being weird or something rather. While I still want to hold out until I beat the game completely, I'm not seeing the complaints about this game, other than maybe it does feel a bit slow at times. The game could've benefitted from a proper tutorial (as much as I hate them usually) since it is a lot to take in at first. However, I'm slowly getting used to it and it's becoming more and more fun and rewarding.

If I'm to be frank, I'm honestly starting to believe a lot of the dings that people have given on this game are from a lack of patience. The game isn't built like the past 3 we had, you can't just blast through them, and requires some skill and thought process to play. But yes it isn't perfect, since like I said I think it could've been a bit faster at times and the controls weren't properly introduced (though they handle just fine the more you figure it out and get good with them).

Music is fucking more fantastic than ever btw

Ha ha! I totally remember feeling exactly like this after beating Desert Ruins. I was so happy with the game back then... I honestly wouldn't judge people's opinions before taking on the later levels. The early game and the later game are completely different. Trust me.

• Thumbs Up 4

Blegh, the more i look at Lava Mountain Act 2 the more i get the feeling that i'll want to throw my controller against the TV.

Holy crap what were Sega thinking with designing THAT of all levels???

When Lost World was announced I was real excited, everything about it prior to release hit all the right notes for me. The colorful graphics, the parkour gameplay, the story, new villains, everything looked great…Then the reviews started coming out and it got mediocre scores, then the Europe folk got it, and it got extremely mixed reactions, and today the game is out and some like it while others can't stand it.

And now that I played the entire game in full, from start to finish, I gotta say……..pretty awful.

Awfully GOOD that is!

You almost had me there, I won't lie. lol

• Thumbs Up 5

So, I've played through Windy Hill boss and tried Desert Ruins 1. I like Zazz's battle. Its simple for a world 1 boss. but its entertaining and I felt more in control of sonic here, or probably that I'm use to the controls already. I like the layout of Desert Ruins 1. and the asteroid wisp is interesting. Can't wait to see more. Still hate the special stages though.

Actualy, with it out in the US, have more people had a chance to try the Wii-U multiplayer? and how many stages can you use

And now that I played the entire game in full, from start to finish, I gotta say……..pretty awful.

6669502raisins-meme.png

bl4.gif

Awfully GOOD that is!

OH U >:3

Edited by Narukami07