Awoo.

Lost World: Discussion, Impressions and Fan Reviews

Carbuncle

Well the game being fast goes without saying, take a look at the S rank time requirements for each level in time trial mode, if Sonic was so slow, he wouldn't be able to clear a level that fast.

In fact some of the times are brutal to get an S on, there's literally no room for error.

Not to get off topic but what was so bad about the wisps in generations, they control exactly like colors (minus the spike wisp not sticking properly but even then that wasn't much of a big problem once you got used to it).

The Spike Wisp's physics were worse in Generations than in Colors because of it being applied to the far more unwieldy Classic Sonic engine. It worked better for Colors Sonic because he accelerated faster on the ground and had better air inertia. In Generations, Classic Sonic moves too slow and jumps too awkwardly to fully gain control when shifting between surfaces without spin dashing.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Spike Wisp's physics were worse in Generations than in Colors because of it being applied to the far more unwieldy Classic Sonic engine. It worked better for Colors Sonic because he accelerated faster on the ground and had better air inertia. In Generations, Classic Sonic moves too slow and jumps too awkwardly to fully gain control when shifting between surfaces without spin dashing.

Okay that makes since.

I'll put up my (BRIEF) impressions then. (Wii U version. by the way)

This game. I love it. A lot.

To get the negatives out of the way, the pakour's perhaps where I take the biggest issue - it's clunky at times, and incredibly difficult to master, but once you do it's so fun to mess around with. In terms of the game's difficulty, I'll concede a lot of it's down to bad design (and fffffuck Silent Forest 2) but that aside, it didn't give me too much trouble.

Lava Mountain 3 isn't even all that hard, the only bit I struggled with was the final Zavok part, and that was just because the game was so bloody vague. Final boss reskin wasn't great though, even the death animation was the same bloody thing.

Overall though, I felt it gave more control over Sonic than past games. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic, and there's a bit to do post-game too, like all the Omochao missions and the red rings. 

I liked it far more than Colours, anyway. Probably more than Generations. Still not as good as SA1 though, the somewhat clunkiness at times is something that's difficult to ignore.

Edited by Tracker
  • Thumbs Up 1

And i thought i was the only one who believed that Planet Wisp (aside form the final boss) was the weakest level in Generations.

Getting this game in the mail via Gamefly either sometime later today or tomorrow (the sooner the better). Sometime around then I'll be giving my impressions, but I sure hope it doesn't come in tomorrow since I don't want it cutting into my spoop-o-ween, and the next day is a work day. >8U

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I just finished Tropical Coast on the 3DS version and feeling a bit mixed on the game. Windy Hill as a whole was very fun, but once I reached Desert Ruins that when I came across some okay ~ frustrating levels in the game. Have to admit that so far Tropical Coast is so far my least favorite place in the 3DS version thus far.

About to start Frozen Factory Zone 1. Here's hoping I enjoy the zones more than the ones in Tropical Coast...

Edit - I should of noted that I been enjoying the special stages. Already have 3 chaos emeralds in my posession.

Edited by Sonic CD

To think... I would enjoy the wisps in this game. I loved then in Colors but they seem just so thrown into this game. Its the placement that makes me cringe more then the controls. Thats something Colors has over this game, but over all I am enjoying Lost World alot. The story is alot longer and enjoyable. Almost every voice actor does there part very well, which brings the characters more to life then in recent years.

I was just typing out something which I managed to lose by going back to the previous page, so let me summarize what I said.

Well, I got it on the 3DS the other day, and I'm really not enjoying it. There are just too many levels where you have to struggle with some gimmick, like the wisps and levels where you have to push objects. I think the worst is one where you have this giant snowball following your every move. Touching it freezes you, and sometimes I manage to freeze myself trying to get it to sit on a switch or get it in a spot where I can get a boost up to a platform. And by the time you're done recovering from this hit (I may add, getting up from a hit takes a long-ass time) the snowball is already coming towards you. I remember many times where I had a chain of getting frozen over and over again. Thank god it doesn't actually take away any rings.

The homing attack is also hopelessly broken. You often home in on something you didn't want to home in on, which ends up hurting you. That's another thing I don't like, the fact that there are so many enemies that can hurt you when homing in on them. Things like sliding penguins, the Egg Pawns, and many others end up hurting you if you home in on them at a certain time, which doesn't make much sense to me. I can understand enemies like the electric spinner and the fire... things, that have things that can obviously hurt you if you touched them any time, but those two enemies in particular really shouldn't hurt you if they're just charging at you. I feel like this kind of fast gameplay really isn't suited for waiting for an opening from so many enemies like that.

I have a lot of other complaints, but I'm not even done with the game yet. I've been thinking of taking the game back, because I'm really not enjoying it all that much, but I'm going to at least try to finish it first.

• Thumbs Up 2

So I played the first level.

Sonic doesn't feel slow at all. He feels 10x faster than Mario and his spindash is insanely fast. You can even chain the spindash together to make an endless dash.

I got to the first Sonic Unleashed styled part where all you do is go forward. This is probably the most hated part so far. I absolutely hate the Generations styled gameplay (well, not hate but I dislike it). You go from tons of player input to on-rails noput.

And i thought i was the only one who believed that Planet Wisp (aside form the final boss) was the weakest level in Generations.

Nah bro. Its too fucking long, and the Wisps shouldn't have been mandatory.

Anyway, its extremely disheartening to learn that more and more people aren't overly enthralled by the game.

The absolute worst thing I feel, is the fact that it's got potential, but doesn't use it enough. Some stages are just fucking bullshit. While, I haven't played the whole game, I played that one Frozen factory level set inside a tube, where you're grinding along rails. Terrible. Its got such sexy music, but its like some charade; lulling you into a false sense of security, before it brutally massacres your life-count with cheap-instakills.

Edited by Scar

I think I may be the only one who legitimately loves Lava Mountain Zone 2. I mean, sure, I died a whole bunch, but when I finished it, it was so satisfying that it's become one of my most re-played levels. I've S-ranked it and everything. Probably doesn't hurt that the grinding physics in this game are fun as hell. I take great pleasure in being able to control the momentum of Sonic's jump in mid-air.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nah bro. Its too fucking long, and the Wisps shouldn't have been mandatory.

Anyway, its extremely disheartening to learn that more and more people aren't overly enthralled by the game.

The absolute worst thing I feel, is the fact that it's got potential, but doesn't use it enough. Some stages are just fucking bullshit. While, I haven't played the whole game, I played that one Frozen factory level set inside a tube, where you're grinding along rails. Terrible. Its got such sexy music, but its like some charade; lulling you into a false sense of security, before it brutally massacres your life-count with cheap-instakills.

I dunno, Tropical Resort 3 (which is what I believe you meant), is a pretty painless level imo, it's Lava Mountain cousin however, jesus christ.

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks like grinding physics were yet another time Sega knew how to make rolling work but just decided not to. I don't know whether to be annoyed with that or laugh at it. XD

Good lord the 3DS version sounds like a trainwreck so far.

Don't worry, that's very far from the case. Niggles keep this game from being the perfect Sonic, but this is Dimps best in a long while I can assure you.

Quite a few of the issues people have had so far floor me really. I've not run into the same problems, and usually I would cry out in horror at absurdities. But apart from a few trite levels (which get better on replay) it's been well worth the full price I paid, there is really nothing wrong with the game, especially one that gives you the best dexterity of Sonic you could ever hope for. :)

I'm pretty sure you meant Tropical Resort instead of Frozen Factory, Scar.

My mistake. I was playing it at a friends.

In any case it was still, fucking annoying. The fact that it gets worse....well...what is the point of developing this unique movement system (which is still very rough around the edges, with some questionable design choices), and then chuck Sonic into a bunch of levels, where this movement system is rendered basically pointless. That Tropical Coast act, could probably have function largely the same (in fact, probably better due to the simpler rail-switching) with the bog-standard boost gameplay...

The one thing I don't like about the grinding mechanics in this game is that you can't turn around using the double jump like you could in Colours. I think you could also turn around in Generations? Can't remember. I tried it in Silent Forest Zone 1 and couldn't pull it off. Ah well. I guess it's because you can control momentum while jumping, so it makes sense, but eh.

I might post more detailed impressions later, but I'll say for now that I really love this game. It's defiitely one of my personal favs in the series. The only times I was outright frustrated was because ofcertain Red Rings, but in the end it was worth it, so there's that. My only real disappointment is the Hidden World. It's just kind of...there. I got through the first three Zones but I'm not sure if I should even bother with the fourth because what I played of it was really frustrating...

Super Sonic is surprisingly fun this time around! I just wonder why you can't use him in the mach speed sections. Does anyone know if you can use him during the final boss?

Speaking of the final boss, would I be judged if I said it killed me a few times? When the laser attack speeds up, sheesh. I still wish it could take a lot more hits though, since it's really easy to charge up the homing attack against it.

Edited by ElementofChaos

Am I like the only one that didn't have an issue with the rail stages? It's just Donkey Kong Country minecart levels.

Well, let's be fair now: those Minecart levels aren't exactly liked all that much, either.

Well, let's be fair now: those Minecart levels aren't exactly liked all that much, either.

Really? I thought out of anything those were liked by alot of people (hasn't played a DKC game).

Am I like the only one that didn't have an issue with the rail stages? It's just Donkey Kong Country minecart levels.

The rail stages are the only ones I'm really itching to play, actually. They look fun.

• Thumbs Up 1