Awoo.

Lost World: Discussion, Impressions and Fan Reviews

Carbuncle

Nega wisp armor 2.0 had the same laser attacks as nega wisp armor alpha except the colors version used laser and sped it up about three times in a rhythm.

I like to think of nega wisp MKII as a cross between the egg emperor (The build), egg wizard (The chase sequence), time eater (with the crushing hands) Samus's armor (Appearance) and Egg Nega Wisp (The execution and defeat strategy)

Edited by Time Eater

The rail stages are the only ones I'm really itching to play, actually. They look fun.

Tropical Coast 3 is.  Lava Mountain 2 isn't because it breaches that fun/frustration line (well more, shatters it to pieces).  

• Thumbs Up 1

Something I'm having a problem with, that I'm not noticing anyone else posting on, is the tone of dialogue in this game. From Sonic making dick jokes to Eggman saying he's going to get fat from eating black hearts, the writing was not on the tops here. It's rather unfortunate since the writing for Colors, Generations, and even Unleashed was pretty great.

I'm also noticing that any time someone mentions how slow the game is, everyone is quick to mention "lol boost". There was a good 15 years of Sonic games that didn't have boost, and they were much faster paced than this game is. I'm not complaining that there are parts where you have to be patient and take your time, I'm complaining that it's the only option. What was great about the older games is you had an option; be patient and get rewarded, or go fast and get the job done with no bonuses.

Something I'm having a problem with, that I'm not noticing anyone else posting on, is the tone of dialogue in this game. From Sonic making dick jokes to Eggman saying he's going to get fat from eating black hearts, the writing was not on the tops here. It's rather unfortunate since the writing for Colors, Generations, and even Unleashed was pretty great.

I'm also noticing that any time someone mentions how slow the game is, everyone is quick to mention "lol boost". There was a good 15 years of Sonic games that didn't have boost, and they were much faster paced than this game is. I'm not complaining that there are parts where you have to be patient and take your time, I'm complaining that it's the only option. What was great about the older games is you had an option; be patient and get rewarded, or go fast and get the job done with no bonuses.

...Sonic made a dick joke?

I think he means Sonic makes jokes about Eggman being stupid or a loser.

I was actually referencing two points. One, Sonic says something along the lines of "I know a good place to kick you". And then later when discussing Eggman's quarters, he asks Eggman what he's compensating for. These are both general, though not necessarily direct, penis jokes.

Actually nevermind. BUT DESERT RUINS ACT 1 IS STILL AMAZING

Edited by PSI Wind

I guess that's why Sonic doesn't know that Eggman Nega is Eggman's descendent canonically, then.

Wait

how is your alternate dimension version of yourself a desce-

Sonic

Never mind that I asked.

Indigo's Sonic Lost World 3DS Review:

So I was able to get my hands on the game earlier this week, and after playing through the main campaign and retrying a few levels, I’m ready to give my thoughts about it. And just to clarify, this is the 3DS version, so aside from a demo I played, I don’t have much to offer in the way of comparison aside from what we already know. It shouldn’t matter though, because to me it looks like this game really stands out on its own; from what I’ve played of the Wii U version, it’s almost an entirely different experience. The same basic principles are in play, but many details such as how Sonic controls, how the levels are designed and how the overall game is structured lends itself to being its own entity. Also, just so you know, I haven’t been able to try the online multiplayer, so I won’t talk about it in this review. Just pretend it doesn’t exist.

STRUCTURE

Let’s talk about the structure: While the Wii U version offers 4 main Zones and 2 bosses per each World, the 3DS version follows a more classic “Sonic 1” approach in terms of progression, with 3 Zones and a single boss fight with one of the Deadly Six. It's all tied together with a coherent world map. Nothing fancy, but I do enjoy a nice overworld as opposed to a plain menu screen (something the previous handheld Sonic game featured). Regardless, on the onset, it is quite apparent that the 3DS version has less to offer in terms of raw content compared to the Wii U version, but the game still offers plenty of meat to keep you satiated throughout. A simple playthrough can last as long as 5 to 6 hours, and that’s without trying to collect all of the Red Star Rings scattered throughout the Zones, as well as attempting to S-Rank every level. But the real question is: do you really want to?

GAMEPLAY

Unlike Sonic Generations and Colors before it, Sonic Lost World slows things down significantly, instead replacing the fast and furious boost mechanic with a run trigger and the ability to use parkour along walls (as well as allow Sonic to grab ledges). Instead of an air-dash, they decided to use the double jump from Colors again (primary button in mid-air), and for the most part it’s a useful move. There’s also the return of the bounce attack (secondary button in mid-air) from Sonic Adventure 2, and it offers a slight edge to platforming, although it’s not that noticeable. I’m not convinced there are many situations where you absolutely need it to progress.

Also, the spin-dash is back (mapped to the secondary button instead of the left trigger), and it functions similarly to Sonic Adventure 2 – however you can also hold down the spin-dash button after launching to boost forward indefinitely; it’s no boost, but it offers a tremendous amount of speed when compared to Sonic’s natural walk and run pacing. The parkour, the run trigger and the spin-dash are hands-down the biggest set of changes you’ll notice with how Sonic moves. Sonic is certainly slower, but he still has that classic speed; it feels like he’s retained the same speed levels he had in the Adventure games, which is really the best spot for him, I feel. Not too fast, not too slow. But how Sonic moves isn’t all they’ve tweaked: how Sonic fights enemies has also been re-worked.

In previous games, much of how Sonic attacked badniks depended on whether or not your boost meter was filled; not so here. With the boost gone, the developers have beefed up Sonic’s homing-attack to target multiple baddies at once (item boxes as well). Added to this, the homing-attack can target a single enemy multiple times, allowing for a more powerful strike. This is sometimes necessary to land a hit to a larger badnik or a boss fight. It’s an interesting gimmick, and I’m not sure I would mind if it was added in the next big Sonic game, however this is certainly something that could be of frustration to those who are used to the traditional simple homing-attack mechanics, and for those who aren't too keen towards multiple hit badniks.

Additionally, there is a somersault move which strikes enemies with a powerful shockwave while Sonic is in mid-air. The air somersault is necessary to fight certain enemies and solve puzzles, so it’s definitely not an afterthought, and I find it to be a neat idea to need to stun an enemy before being able to hit it. All of this is added to Sonic’s double-jump and bounce attack. Unfortunately, this new combat mechanic is gimped by having all four of those air actions being mapped to 2 different buttons. It doesn’t happen too often, but you may find yourself using an air somersault when you intended to bounce, or a homing-attack when you were trying to pass a tricky jump. It’s quite a shame, because had these moves been mapped to the other 4 face-buttons or triggers instead of just the 2, this could very well have been the best set-up for Sonic’s controls ever.

The homing-attack itself is also a bit of a problem as well, as sometimes you automatically target an enemy or an item off-screen, and it can actually mess up your progression.  As for the idea of having to stun certain enemies before hitting them might not jive well with some players. It certainly adds depth to combat, but sometimes added complexity isn’t always the best thing. For the most part, the concept works well in this game, and I wouldn’t mind seeing it return; but it definitely needs a little work to make it more consistent.

Otherwise, the control mechanics are very fluid – Sonic moves very naturally, and his jump carries momentum and weight to it in a satisfying way, unless you pick up a speed sneaker, which will make Sonic’s jump fly all over the place if you’re not careful. Also, the parkour needs some explaining. The general mechanic works like this: When moving forwards inside of a corridor or along the lengthy side of a wall (basically, wherever on the wall the camera isn’t looking directly at), Sonic will auto run forward, and your options are to jump off the wall with a mighty burst of speed, or to stick to a nearby adjacent wall and run forward with a fresh speed boost. Sonic can’t do this forever though, and you’re allowed to use one quick speed burst (using the spin-dash button) to keep you going just long enough to make it to the end.

Now, when Sonic is facing the front-end of a large climbable structure, he’ll climb upwards instead of running from side-to-side. This mode is significantly slower than the wall-run, but has a bit more freedom with where you can go. Sonic can kick himself left or right to scale the wall horizontally, or can hold up to climb upwards. The spin-dash button can be used here to get one quick burst of speed as well.

The problem with this parkour mechanic is that it is not contextualized well enough if you can use one type of parkour or the other. You need to kind of know what to expect innately, as the game doesn’t give you any indication aside from some button prompts in the earlier levels. The controls themselves for parkour are not perfect and could use a little tuning up, and maybe the speed for wall climbing can be kicked up while the speed for wall running should be kicked down a little. Aside from that, the parkour is a very wonderful addition to the series. All it really needs is a little cleanup work and it’ll be perfect.

In general, the controls are great in concept, but certain details such as the method of combat, button placements and parkour elements need some refining.  Overall, it’s one of my favorite control set-ups for a Sonic game.

LEVEL DESIGN

Technically a sub-section of Gameplay, but it’s big enough to be given its own mini topic. The game’s level structure and progression is wildly different from the Wii U version. There are scarcely any tubes or planetoid sections, instead opting for a simply “outward curved” level structure, with many towering wall structures to climb. There is also a massive abundance of slow-paced puzzle elements that give this game more of a “Labyrinth Zone” or “Sandopolis Zone” vibe to them. In many parts its rather welcome, but at times, especially at the latter half of the game, it can be really annoying for those who want to go fast.

While Sonic himself controls rather fast at times, the levels usually won’t allow for raw speed. That infinite spin-dash trick barely gets any room to shine (unless you’re a speedrunning expert, that is), so don’t expect to be playing like you did in 3D Sonic games like Sonic Adventure. There are no hills or loops which have been synonymous with even the most unusual Sonic games, just slightly curved (or flat) floors with either floating platforms or towering structures and mountains. For what it merits in itself, it’s not necessarily a bad concept, but it’s such a large deviation from what Sonic games are used to, even games like Sonic Unleashed (the day sections, that is) which changed the standard formula drastically still incorporated the classic ramps, loops and hills.

The core of Sonic Lost World for 3DS is not about moving forward like most Sonic games – it’s focused on moving all around, solving puzzles and using parkour to progress. Even if Sonic himself can run fast, you won’t get many opportunities to do so. There are also many levels that focus on the use of the Wisps, which I will focus on later. And finally, there is the use of gated areas that prevent progression until you complete a particular objective (such as hitting a switch, defeating a number of enemies, etc). There are similar instances where you need to fight a mini-boss of sorts, usually giant-sized badniks which won’t let you pass until you beat them down. It can be very tedious at times, but at this point it’s just a contributing factor to the overall change in level progression; mini bosses are fun, but sometimes there are just too many.

For the most part, the level design choices in Lost World 3DS aren’t inherently bad, however it’s such a change from what we’re used to that it might turn off some long-time fans. Had these ideas been reserved for specific Worlds, it would probably look more like a traditional Sonic game, but this isn’t the case. Is this really a bad thing, though? Not necessarily.

On one hand, this is an obvious case of experimentation on the developers front. Sonic’s moveset for parkour and combat are centered around such level design, and vice versa. The heavy focus on puzzles is something that I actually enjoy, but again, it’s very slow, and will probably leave a negative impression for those who only want such slow pacing in short amounts, if at all. It’s somewhat similar to Sonic 1, where speed didn’t happen all that often – much of the game was slow-paced platforming and puzzle solving here and there, but even Sonic 1 had hills and loops around. Not exactly the same in terms of what puzzles and platforming is implemented, but definitely in terms of its mindset for speed – it takes a backseat much of the time.

In addition to the many full-3D sections, there is at least 1 entirely 2D Zone for each World. The basic controls are the same, only lacking the freedom of exiting the Z axis. As such, you might find yourself wanting to hold the down arrow and tap the buttons to utilize a spin-dash: sorry, you have to use the secondary buttons. Same goes for running. If this proves one thing, it’s that these control mechanics for the spin-dash and the run trigger are not meant for 2D Sonic. In 3D, such control choices make sense because you’re in a full 3D environment where having complete control over your moveset is vital.

In 2D, Sonic’s most basic abilities have always worked, so adding the run trigger seems unnecessary here. It’s a bit disappointing, but otherwise the 2D sections can offer some really fun and intense moments, especially in regards to parkour and speed. Some of Sonic’s fastest and most acrobatic moments are confined to the 2D levels, which is why it’s such a shame that it’s so jarring with the control scheme. All in all, though, the 2D moments are some of the best, despite the control issues here.

Oh. Bottomless pits. Dimps had a field day with this one – many of the later levels are heavily focused around bottomless pits, so much in fact that you’ll be dying – a lot. This is apparently balanced by the overabundance of extra lives. As expected, collecting 100 rings nets you an extra guy, but sometimes the game hands these out like candy on Halloween. It’s not very well thought out and doesn't really balance the game’s cheap difficulty well, but at least Dimps recognizes the issue, I suppose.

But man, the game can get really tough, and it’s often because you fell into a bottomless chasm or because you had a bad day with the controls. A lot of the time, the parkour will save you from a pit drop if you’re in the right place, but it doesn’t solve the fact that the game focuses on tedious platforming here.

The further you get into the game, the more cheap deaths appear, and it gets really grating. It’s too bad, because the early half of the game is actually really fun – even Frozen Factory has some brilliant moments despite the heavy use of snowball rolling puzzles. Aside, the difficulty feels more cheap than fair, so this is something that Dimps still needs to fix with their games. But at least the homing attack chains aren’t as dull as they were in Sonic 4, right?

All things considered, the level design works, but it’s very different from traditional Sonic fare, and the lack of speed and emphasis on puzzle solving, coupled with the unfair difficulty spikes at the latter half of the game is a big problem. For the most part, it’s workable though, and you’ll get a fair amount of enjoyment regardless, at least until the death pits strike. Also, underwater segments return here as well, and in full 3D too! Well, one Zone has it, anyway.

WISPS

The alien power-ups from Sonic Colors return, and unlike the Wii U version, all but one uses traditional controls, which is most certainly a good thing for many people. You activate them by touching their icon in the lower screen once you’ve picked one up. In addition to some veteran colors, there are also a few new faces to be seen, and some of them are actually really fun. Sometimes. There are several instances where the Wisps are required to progress, and that can be an issue. Let’s go over the individual Wisp powers:

The Cyan Laser and Yellow Drill are the best in show, and haven’t changed much since Colors. They’re as fun as they were in Colors, and are the most dynamic, aside from one other. There’s also the Red Wisp, returning from the DS version of Sonic Colors, this time in full 3D. It doesn’t do much aside from allow you to float and burs forward while attacking enemies, but it can be of help from time to time.

The new Wisps are the Indigo Asteroid, the Ivory Lightning and the Grey Quake. Of these 3, the Indigo Asteroid is probably the most fun, simply because it’s extremely satisfying to suck up every little badnik that would otherwise cause you trouble; and the more objects you absorb, the more powerful your attack and higher your jump is, allowing you to suck in larger enemies and to jump to ridiculous heights. There are a few Zones that are centered around this, and that is actually a bad thing; the Asteroid Wisp controls are terribly loose. As a temporary power, it’s quite fine, but as a means for level progression it’s probably the worst thing this game has to offer.

The Ivory Lighting is rather fun at times, but for the most part it just functions as a more powerful homing attack. It’s rather inoffensive, and it’s a shame they didn’t do more with it: not even any clever gimmicks involving teleporting across radio antennae like the Laser Wisp did in Colors. Lame.

The worst in show, however, is the Grey Quake.  Essentially, Sonic turns into a giant wrecking ball that can scale walls and stomp the ground to hit switches… all with the not-so wonderful mechanic of being controlled by the 3DS’s gyro sensor. This thing wouldn’t be so bad if it didn’t rely on gyro controls – it can’t even do a sharp turn backwards… like all balls are capable of doing. It moves forward automatically and if you’re heading towards a death pit (something incredibly common in this game, as mentioned previously), you’re doomed.

I enjoy the idea of Wisps and the fun that they can bring, so most of these instances of Wisp usage are rather positive for me, but the Grey Quake is easily the worst power-up this game has to offer. Oh, and on the subject of power-ups…!

POWER UPS

The classic duo of Speed Shoes and Invincibility return to this game after a long absence in 3D Sonic games. They aren’t alone, though, as the elemental shields from Sonic 3 & Knuckles make a grand debut in 3D Sonic as well – though their specific air actions are not there; just as well, since Sonic has the bounce attack and double jump in his arsenal anyway. They do, however, retain their special abilities; Lightning attracts rings and protects from electric hazards, Fire protects against lava and fire balls, and Bubble lets Sonic breathe underwater.

The biggest additions are remote-controlled robots made by Tails, which will assist Sonic in different ways. This is basically the Sonic equivalent to Nintendo’s Super Guide concept, where the game will give the player a bonus power up when the player is struggling. More often than not, these are useful, especially in the more difficult areas of the game. You don’t have to wait until you die several times first, either – every time you complete a level, you’re awarded with material, much like in Sonic Rush Adventure; the kind of material changes depending on what World you’re in (Green Material for Windy Hill, Yellow for Desert Ruins, etc), and you can take this material to Tails’ lab to fashion some gadgets you can take with you into a level. This part of the game is totally optional though, so you can complete the game without ever setting foot in Tails’ lab.

In short, the power ups offered here are some of the best and most useful in recent memory, and I do hope they continue with this direction. It’s a great help for those who struggle with the difficult sections, but it’s still optional and out of the way for those who want to go in hardcore.

SPECIAL STAGES

A quick moment to talk about the Special Stages – first of all, they are not required to complete the game, and this is a good thing. You enter the Special Stage by completing a level with 50 or more rings, just like in Sonic 1. But unlike Sonic 1, you choose to enter in by a menu prompt, basically furthering the optional essence of this game. Again, this is a good thing. Why is this a good thing?

It’s garbage, and it can potentially strain your neck if you’re not careful. The idea is a novel one, and I commend Dimps for giving it a shot, but the gyro controls are so fragile and finicky that you’ll lose your mind collecting those colored orbs. And it’s not something where you collect a set amount out of a sea of orbs, you need to get all of them. Every. Last. One. And furthermore, you’re timed, so you’d better figure out those motion controls before you lose! Even if it tosses those extra second boxes at you, it’s still more of a struggle than it is a game.

On the bright side, you can restart the Special Stage before the timer goes out without having to play the regular levels to get there again, but even so, this doesn’t fix much. The gyro controls were an interesting idea, and had they been simpler like the first few Special Stages, I wouldn’t be too upset with them – but the difficulty ramps up significantly, and without the precise feedback from buttons and control sticks, you’re going to have to just keep trying until you win.

While it was a nifty idea that could possibly be used again, it needs some serious re-thinking. The beauty of the Special Stages is that they have nothing to conform to – the developers are free to use the latest gimmicky technology to use as a fielding ground for whatever they like – and the gryo sensor is the target this go round – again, a good idea, but it’s so poorly implemented that I am having a hard time justifying it aside from what it could have been. This is the worst part of the game. At least the music was fun… oh, right, the music!

MUSIC

If you expected anything less than an astounding soundtrack, shame on you. Sonic games have consistently pumped out fantastic audible treasures (with a few exceptions, but I digress), and Sonic Lost World is no exception. Whether it’s the energetic nature of Windy Hill or the jazzy fun in Silent Forest, you’re going to love listening to Sonic Lost World every step of the way.

GRAPHICS

This game has some wonderful art direction, some of the best I’ve ever seen in a Sonic game. Though it doesn’t shine as much in this version as opposed to the Wii U version; it’s not that impressive on a technical level, and I don’t think it’s because of hardware limitations so much as it is Dimps first go at a 3D Sonic, not that I’m trying to find excuses for them. It’s a little underwhelming, but the game does have some colorful visuals that really brighten up the experience regardless. This is a very pretty game.

Also, I recommend not using the 3D effect in this game much – it barely benefits from it, and especially in situations where you need to use the gyro controls, it is more of a nuisance than a benefit.

Otherwise, visually, this game is a nice treat. It doesn’t push the poly count much, but I don’t think it really needs to; graphics aren’t everything, but this game certainly proves for a lush colorful experience.

STORY

It’s important to mention that because of the change in level progression and overall Zone and World structure as opposed to the Wii U version, some of the cutscenes have been left out, giving the 3DS version an objective disadvantage. Not only that, but the cutscenes are of pretty grainy quality here. So the experience is a little disjointed and not very pleasing to watch. But the actual content of the story is rather good, if not some of the best the series has to offer.

The game follows a similar Saturday morning cartoon style, similar to Sonic Colors, at least at first. Sonic and Tails are high in the sky chasing Dr Eggman, Orbot and Cubot (who are carrying Sonic’s animal friends in an Egg Capsule) to a mysterious planet called the “Lost Hex,” a world where everything’s topsy turvy and quite colorful. Sonic and Tails keep check on their buddies Amy and Knuckles as they attempt to rescue the captured small animals and to foil Eggman’s scheme, whatever it may be. It is then revealed that there are 6 residents of the Lost Hex, called the Deadly Six, and they have been enslaved by Dr Eggman to destroy Sonic once and for all. We see that they are victim to Eggman’s Cacophonic Conch, a rare device that messes with the Zeti’s innate ability to manipulate magnetic fields, that is until Sonic unwittingly punts it to the sky and out of Eggman’s reach for good. This horribly backfires, though, and soon the Zeti are after both Sonic and Eggman’s hide, and the two have to team up (much to Tails’ dismay) to stop them from using one of Eggman’s devices to destroy the planet.

What follows is a series of interesting character development and interaction, the likes of which have never been seen in a Sonic game before. Things get a bit tense and actually rather clever, and everything builds up to what appears to be a fantastic climax. Without spoiling the ending, I will say that much of the build-up is very exciting and is a clear cut example of the sort of tone that the series should shoot for, although the very end of the game will leave more questions unanswered than some fans would like (myself included), and is a bit of a letdown.

That aside, the story really is fantastic, and is overall one of the best ever to come from a Sonic game. The way Sonic and Tails interact is fantastic, how Eggman clashes with the heroes is great, and don’t worry, there are no embarrassing jokes to be found here. Okay, maybe one or two, but this is the first Sonic game where I’ve genuinely laughed at its humor, and not out of embarrassment or awkwardness. The writers from Sonic Colors had their time to shine, and it really shows. More of this, please. We need more of this.

TO SUM IT ALL UP...

So now it's time to summarize my feelings for this game:

THINGS I LOVE

I love how well Sonic controls, despite its small issues

I love how well the story is written and told

I love the implementation of parkour

I love that the spin-dash is back

I love the return of elemental shields

I love the music and how darn catchy it is

I love the new art direction

THINGS I LIKE

I like the use of those robot power ups, they can be very helpful

I like the Laser and Drill Wisps, and the Indigo Asteroid when it isn’t mandatory

I like Wisps in general

I like the focus on slower platforming and puzzle solving, though it’s a bit overdone here

I like the sense of newness to the game, the idea of a new style of Sonic as opposed to the usual fare

I like the new combat system

I like the world map

THINGS I’M INDIFFERENT ABOUT

I’m indifferent about the Red Burst and Ivory Lightning

I’m indifferent about the 3-Zone-1-Boss level structure

I’m indifferent about the lack of other playable characters this time (but I am getting tired of being Sonic only…)

I’m indifferent about the graphics, nothing spectacular,

I’m indifferent about the 3D, it doesn’t add much

I’m indifferent about the lack of insane speed, I’d love for the game to be faster, but I do enjoy slower platforming

THINGS I HATE

I hate the Grey Wisp

I hate the Indigo Asteroid when it’s mandatory

I hate the Special Stages

I hate the poor compression for the story cutscenes

I hate the immense difficulty spike in the later Worlds

I hate the cheap level design in the later Worlds

All in all, Sonic Lost World for the 3DS is a mostly positive experience, but to be honest, it’s pretty inconsistent in terms of quality. The game is most certainly far removed from being a mud puddle with a few flakes of gold in there; it’s really a mixed bag with more good than bad. Much of the bad parts in this game can be overlooked, but you’ll still have to deal with unfair difficulty spikes, mandatory Wisps that can be a pain to control at times, and had the Special Stages been mandatory, this game would have left a much worse impression on me.

Overall, I rate Sonic Lost World for 3DS…

f19p4j.jpg

3.5 Gold Star Rings out of 5, or a 7/10 if you prefer. A solid 70%. Alternatively...

11bopad.jpg

From 6 Possible Ranks E being the lowest to S being the highest.

In other words... just above average.

It’s a good game, but it isn’t remarkable in any way, outside of what it could have been, and what it may be able to bring in the future.

Edited by Indighost Rush
  • Thumbs Up 8

I'm only at Desert Ruins on the WiiU version, but as of yet, I'm not having much fun with this game at all. It has all the problems Colors had: bad level design, clunky platforming, and now, a needlessly cumbersome new control system. How can any of the Sonic fans who love the classic momentum-based gameplay think this is the right direction for the Sonic franchise to go when you can simply TOUCH A WALL to go up it? Having a "run" button works well for Mario, but its such a huge difference for Sonic when switching between the different levels of speed that it leaves the whole control scheme feeling clunky and really, really unnatural, which is the exact opposite of how Sonic has been and should be.

But hey, I warmed up to Colors. Maybe the same will be true here. But as of yet, incredibly underwhelmed.

I'm only at Desert Ruins on the WiiU version, but as of yet, I'm not having much fun with this game at all. It has all the problems Colors had: bad level design, clunky platforming, and now, a needlessly cumbersome new control system. How can any of the Sonic fans who love the classic momentum-based gameplay think this is the right direction for the Sonic franchise to go when you can simply TOUCH A WALL to go up it? Having a "run" button works well for Mario, but its such a huge difference for Sonic when switching between the different levels of speed that it leaves the whole control scheme feeling clunky and really, really unnatural, which is the exact opposite of how Sonic has been and should be.

But hey, I warmed up to Colors. Maybe the same will be true here. But as of yet, incredibly underwhelmed.

actualy, I have a thought for you, and anyone else who is having trouble with the control system, especialy in the wii-u version:

Go back to the first level(or at least world), and replay it as much as you need to you get the moveset, because if you  need extra time to get used to it, do it in a place you know, and can get it down in

or play the competitive multiplayer with your friends for a while, competition can help learning!

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I'm gonna be the odd one and say that this game has better level design than Generations. WHOOPS DID I JUST SAY THAT OUT LOU-

I think I'm gonna be the odd one and say that this game has better level design than Generations. WHOOPS DID I JUST SAY THAT OUT LOU-

... How? I mean, granted I haven't seen every level, but I've seen a few and... how?

... How? I mean, granted I haven't seen every level, but I've seen a few and... how?

I feel like the flow just feels better for me. Generations has great level design, but it is just Boost2win. With the parkour, I can do a lot of stuff and the extreme absence of invisible walls lets me experiment with new, dangerous paths instead of having to use a glitch to skip 75% of the level (Speed Highway). Desert Ruins Act 1 is the best level that I've played. Maybe my view will change because the game gets worse after Desert Ruins apparently.

Generations has great level design, but it is just Boost2win.

grandpa-simpson-gif.gif

Free to your opinion I suppose. I really don't feel like arguing right now.

• Thumbs Up 3

but it is just Boost2win.

Having watched a few speedruns of this game, I can make a very similar argument for this game.

grandpa-simpson-gif.gif

Free to your opinion I suppose. I really don't feel like arguing right now.

Psh even I don't agree with this.

When comparing 3D Levels, to me SLW's is better than Gens' EXCEPT for Sky Sanctuary and Seaside Hill. 2D is a lot less cumbersome in SLW due to better control, BUT the gimmicks and level design quirks go to Gens generally. When comparing the gimmick sages to the challenge mode missions…ehhhhh it could go either way some are shit while others are decent in both games. And I guess Gens had less awful Wisps usage.

Having watched a few speedruns of this game, I can make a very similar argument for this game.

Well when someone is purposely trying to speed run the game that isn't really a fair call to make.

Edited by SoniManbeast

Boost2win isn't really a bad thing per say and I love Generations, but I love the freedom of Lost World more then a path that has limited movement.

Boost2win isn't really a bad thing per say and I love Generations, but I love the freedom of Lost World more then a path that has limited movement.

Boost2win isn't even a word.

Well when someone is purposely trying to speed run the game that isn't really a fair call to make.

Why? The whole boost to win thing is overblown as it is, idea being I can just hold down one button and I can make it to the end.

Well... in the stuff I'm looking at, and this game is barely a few weeks old yet. The speedruns are far from perfect, yet in most cases, all what you have to do is hold down the spin dash button and occasionally use parkour for sections that demand it to progress?

How is this any different from the old boost to win complaint?

Boost2win isn't even a word.

It's a joke. A shitty, old joke, but one the fanbase will understand what I mean when I say it.

So, I beat Lost World today. Spoiler-free impressions are here, and spoiler-y impressions will be down below

Now, I'd like to start by saying this is not a bad game. Not by any means. It's just divisive, because of certain things about the game. Those certain things (which I will discuss in the Spoiler), will either mildly bug you or bug you a lot or somewhere in between. This is where the divisiveness comes from. It's definitely true that the best levels are in the first half (and these best levels are REALLY damn good) are the game and the quality somewhat drops at roughly the halfway point, but there's still some gems later in the game, and the less inspired level design isn't really bad (well except for some very dickish parts/levels), it's just not as fun or.well..inspired. Story is cool, with the best character interactions ever seen in a Sonic game minus a few immature jokes, but lacks context for certain things or a sense of cohesiveness and tension. I'd say overall...............you should really give this game a chance by renting it. Don't pass it up just because of the mixed reviews, give it a chance! You may like it. This is no 06 by ANY means. 

Now, for spoilers!

-Gameplay

-Controls are awkward. They take time to master, and not everyone may be able to get the hang of them. This is one of the reasons I think the game is divisive. If you can't get the hang of the controls, you're not having much fun. But once you master them, they work great. In the next game they should really be made easier to master though.

-Windy Hill, Desert Ruins and Tropical Coast are all stellar. These are what the rest of the game should be like. The level design really shines here, and it's so fun to explore and play with the parkour. Minus a few niggles like areas where you have to solve a puzzle to continue in certain areas of Tropical Coast, it's all great. 

-Frozen Factory is a mixed bag. I think Zone 1 is great, Zone 2 is cool, Zone 3 is....alright, a very gimmicky level, But Zone 4 is where the "Less inspired" really starts to kick in. It's still a good level, but it's quite a bit more blocky and less smooth then other levels.

-Silent Forest is a mixed bag as well. Zone 1 is great, if I'm honest I consider it up there with the game's best, but 2 is kinda frustrating if you don't know what to do for the stealth section. Zone 3 is..........oggggghhhhhhh. The pirouette jump is annoying to being with (Why the fuck would you take away so much aerial control?) but this levels really amplifies that problem. Zone 4 is good, just less inspired. 

-However, Sky Road is where the real BS starts. FUCK. THIS. WORLD. Sky Road Zone 1 is so goddamn infuriating, ESPECIALLY that one Eagle section where you have to fly over a bottomless pit and you barely have enough Eagle refills and Barely enough distance between the refills. Fuck this level. Sky Road 2 is better, but the gimmick can really catch you off guard the first time. Sky Road 3........................oghhhhhhh.........................WHY CAN'T YOU GIVE ME NORMAL FUCKING FLYING CONTROLS SONIC TEAM! I like the idea of curling in the air but..........................god damn the flying controls suck! Sky Road 4 is okay, but the black-and-yellow poles give no indication that they will break, they don't creak, don't vibrate, nothing! Other then that, it's all right, Zavok boss fight is a little confusing in terms of how to finish him though. It was also disappointing in this zone how they started reusing tropes.

-Lava Mountain has 2 modes: Boss rush mode and FUCK YOU mode. Lava Mountain 1 is just a boss rush (the bosses are redone though), but LAVA. FUCKING. MOUNTAIN 2! OHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGHHHHHHHHH! That level can FUCK RIGHT OFF, it's SO GODDAMN CHEAP AND FRUSTRATING, it is actually the only levels I have not beaten legit (I used that teleport capture that spawns when you're at 0 lives) because FUCK IT, it's not worth it. EASILY the worst level in the game. Lava Mountain 3 is a mix of Fuck You mode and Boss Rush mode, though the Fuck You parts are not nearly as bad. Lava Mountain 4 is basically just a final battle with Eggman, and..........the final boss is honestly disappointing. It's basically a rehash of Color's final boss with less attacks and it's kind of piss easy and goes down in 3 hits............shame too, since I really like that mech design.

-Speaking of bosses, they are all way to easy and simple in this game. It's not that they outright suck, it's just that they are boring because they are way too easy. 

-Wisps suck in this game. They are basically everything that was bad about them in Colours, and with none of the good things and then some. The only good one IMO is the drill (thank god it's the only mandatory one), and the rest are just either monotonous with no depth (Rhythm) or just bad (Asteroid). Thankfully, it's not like Colours where you're missing out of the best part of the levels if you don't use them, they are basically 100 percent optional minus a few segments. So I can sort of forgive it because of that but at the same time can't because they still suck. 

-Overall in terms of gameplay, I think it's more good then bad, but there's a lot of flaws here. 

-Plot/Story/Characters

-Character interactions are honestly the best the series has seen, minus a few immature jokes. Sonic is much more in character then constant jokes Colours and actually has flaws and fucks up this time around (a key example being him setting the entire D. 6 betrayal in motion and almost causing the destruction of his world, just by acting hastily, rushing in and kicking the control-horn-thing away from Eggman), which makes his character much more believable and interesting. Sarcastic Brat Tails takes some getting used to, and it's not ideal, but it's not awful either. I see it as a natural progression from his sarcasm from Colours. Eggman is awesome in this game as well, he's basically his Colours humor combined with some genuine threatening and truly evil-sounding moments. 

-Plot feels a bit.......disconnected at times. I don't know how to put it into words, but it doesn't really feel...................unified. It's hard to put it into words. Also, certain things lack context. Like, in the intro cutscene, Sonic and Tails get shot by Eggman and start going down and suddenly LOST HEX! Let's land there buddy! 

-They have tension sometimes, but with the lack of cohesiveness to the story, it's not as effective as it could be. And also it gets pretty dark sometimes, which i actually like! Amy and Knux basically being fucking dead until Sonic and Tails restore life to the planet by reversing the machine is an example of this.

-Tails not fully preventing himself from becoming a robot and kicking ass was a great plot twist that I did not expect, but at the same time it kinda ruined the tension and darkness that was building up to that point, and yet another missed opportunity for a Tails V Sonic boss battle.

-I like the Deadly Six. They are pretty much shallow stereotypes, but eh, they work well enough. 

-Overall I like the plot, but it could use with a more consistent sense of tension, and a more unified feel. Then it would be something pretty great

-Music

Music is great as expected in any Sonic game, but much of it...............doesn't feel really Sonic-y. Like it feels like it belongs more in a Mario game then a Sonic game. I think that the music is the most Mario thing about LW actually, though there is some obvious Mario influence at some parts of the game. there are some real stand out tracks though, such as Windy Hill 1 and 2, Desert Ruins 1 and 2, Silent Forest 1, Sky Road 2 and 1: 

and last but not least, Tropical Coast Zone 3/Lava Mountain Zone 2:  

This song in particular I think is absolutely gorgeous and atmospheric and it's my favorite track and I love it <3<3<3<3.

So overall, I like the OST but not as much as Colours and Generations overall. 

-Other stuff

-Animal collecting sucks. It's not as intrusive as medals from Unleashed, but near the end of the game it's still pretty intrusive. It's stupid and should not be there. Thankfully they give you tents to grind but I think it's stupid that they disappear once you use them and can't be used again until you do a level. You should just be able to use them as much as you want.

Overall

Overall, I think the game is good. Sure there's some really frustrating parts about it, and the level design quality drops in the later parts of the game, but overall I still think it's a good experience worth trying out to see if you like it or hate it. Give it a rent. Again, it's not a bad game or the next 06 by ANY means, it's just divisive. In my opinion, this unique Sonic experience is at least worth a try on your part, and I'd be gutted if they didn't continue with this great parkour gameplay in the next game and refine it into something that's universally liked as opposed to the rough, but really fun incarnation of it here. Generations maxed out the potential of the boost gameplay, but LW is only scratching the damn surface of parkour gameplay! If you like it, this game definitively needs your money so LW gets enough sales for ST to refine the parkour gameplay into something truly incredible. 

Before I give the game a number, I'll explain my numbering system and how I interpret scores.

10/10. Brilliant. Noting is perfect but this is as close as you're ever gonna get. This game is an absolute must-own.. 

9/10 Outstanding. Really awesome game: Definitely buy if if you're either a fan or a non-fan of the genre. 

8/10 Great. Hits all the right notes. Buy if if you're either a fan or a non-fan of the genre. 

7/10 Good. Is a good game, but leaves some things to be desired. Only buy it if you're a fan of the genre: rent it first if you're not. 

6/10 Decent: Good, but leaves a lot to be desired. Give it a rent first before buying it, fan of the genre or non-fan. 

5/10 Medicore: Too much to be desired out of the game for it to be good. Only rent if you're a really big fan of the genre. 

4/10 Bad: too many things wrong with the game to even be medicore. Avoid it.

3/10 Glitchfest: Awful. Avoid. 

2/10: Terrible: Incredibly bad game. Avoid at all costs.

1/10: Putrid: literally nothing good about it. Don't even think about spending money on it,. even for a laugh. 

Overall, I'd give the game a 6.5 out of 10. Good, but leaving quite a bit to be desired and you may dislike it or like it. 

So that's that! I hope you enjoyed my long and scatterbrained impression/review of the game! I now await the next Sonic game to see what Sonic Team does next..........

Edited by Ghostly Warp

It's a joke. A shitty, old joke, but one the fanbase will understand what I mean when I say it.

Yes, a joke at the expense of game design that allows you to blast through a level and "win" by holding a single button. The joke is that all it takes is "boost" to beat the game, and no deeper method of interaction.

Which is not at all what Generations is, and exactly why I assumed you were making the exact same completely incorrect statement that everyone made after Generations stopped being new and suddenly became the worst game ever.

hey guys remember when it was considered fantastic and fun haha those were the days huh

• Thumbs Up 4

hey guys remember when it was considered fantastic and fun haha those were the days huh

Don't worry, with the reception SLW is getting, its gonna be Zelda Cycle'd soon enough

• Thumbs Up 2