Awoo.

Lost World: Discussion, Impressions and Fan Reviews

Carbuncle

Eh, a lot of the reasoning for a lot of the bad review scores were absolute BS, so that's still worth getting a little mad over. The thing is, when you guys give out 6's for this game, you guys have actual reasoning.

I still think 5's and 4's are absurdly low scores for the game though, 6-7/10 seems about right. 

And if 5/10 means average, 6/10 isn't really a bad score either. It's just means that it's a good game that leaves a lot to be desired, which sounds good for LW. 

There's no reason to get depressed or freak out: this isn't 06 again. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

My impression is that the ending leaves way for a possible sequel. Perhaps that's why the ending seems to be so lackluster. (Granted, I haven't played it yet, so my opinion is somewhat invalid...)

My impression is that the ending leaves way for a possible sequel. Perhaps that's why the ending seems to be so lackluster. (Granted, I haven't played it yet, so my opinion is somewhat invalid...)

Intentionally lackluster endings for the sake of a sequel is possibly worse writing than an unintentionally lackluster ending.

I have to agree with Super Soniko I don't think Sega will ever deliver in term of story and characters development. There isn't much to look forward to anymore.

Agreed, 06 is just in a whole new level of shit and it will stay that way.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm honestly past the point of really caring about Sonic to do great anymore; its pretty clear Sega are content with this path and have been ever since Unleashed, especially given all of the praise they tend to get for games like Colors and Generations. Its just the direction they want to go with isn't what I want to associate with Sonic, nor is it one I care to follow as much. 

• As much as I liked the characterization for this game, I really don't care for the lack of real direction as far as plotting goes. No real interesting character backgrounds to explore, no mythos, no nothing. Stuff just happens and we're expected to just go along with it. And characters that I like are still getting shafted.
  • The visuals don't even feel like "Sonic" anymore, but like Sonic jumped into Mario's world and decided to stay there. This is not saying that the visuals are bad. But if I wanted to play a game with visuals like this, I'd go play Mario.
  • I can't comment too much on gameplay since I haven't touched the game nor do I plan to for a long time, but a lot of comments from all around the net tells me I'm going to frustrated more often than not.

I never was that excited about this game to begin with and mostly expected this type of reception based on previews, which is why I'm just kinda "whatever" to the whole thing. 

This is pretty funny considering you were one of those people not too long ago :V

• Thumbs Up 2

Still kind of a bummer when a franchise that became a relatively major part of your life is seemingly content to settle into mediocrity, even if it isn't virtually the worst thing ever.

To be honest with you, the only time where I really felt this series stagnate is pretty much at sonic 06 which even though I did like I do admit it was pretty glitchy (but not as unplayable as most people say) and I think from there its been getting better and better for me at least, the games are fun, while unleashed was there only real effort at a story besides black knight post 2006 I don't think the 2 games after were really met to be very story heavy anyway and with lost world they seem to be getting a good idea of the characterization, now all they need to do is work on the plot and perfect the gameplay, issues that are now put out there so for the next game they can work on these things.

I honestly don't know why all of you seem to think that just because this game didn't live up to expectations for you (it certainly did for me but I can see where everyones coming from) it doesn't me that sega is going to make the games gradually worse and I don't even think they would continue with the mario-esque style and gimmick decisions either because this did seem more like a one time thing and if they did do it again I know there will definitely be improvements, the guys at sega aren't stupid and I know that they will do something good with it, we all just have to be patient.

Edited by MegasonicZX

I personally wouldn't worry about the artstyle. I'm sure Lost World is a one-off, the next game should be restored to the Generations's artstyle of a semi-surreal feel to a realistic world.

As for gameplay, it could go either way though at this point. I have no idea whether it will be the on-rails gameplay, the parkour gameplay, or some other possibility.

Edited by Glad Tidings Gabriel

I personally wouldn't worry about the artstyle. I'm sure Lost World is a one-off, the next game should be restored to the Generations's artstyle of a semi-surreal feel to a realistic world.

I somehow really doubt this will be the case. If anything I expect them to stick with this art direction for the next couple of games or so.

To be honest with you, the only time where I really felt this series stagnate is pretty much at sonic 06 which even though I did like I do admit it was pretty glitchy (but not as unplayable as most people say) and I think from there its been getting better and better for me at least, the games are fun, while unleashed was there only real effort at a story besides black knight post 2006 I don't think the 2 games after were really met to be very story heavy anyway and with lost world they seem to be getting a good idea of the characterization, now all they need to do is work on the plot and perfect the gameplay, issues that are now put out there so for the next game they can work on these things.

I honestly don't know why all of you seem to think that just because this game didn't live up to expectations for you (it certainly did for me but I can see where everyones coming from) it doesn't me that sega is going to make the games gradually worse and I don't even think they would continue with the mario-esque style and gimmick decisions either because this did seem more like a one time thing and if they did do it again I know there will definitely be improvements, the guys at sega aren't stupid and I know that they will do something good with it, we all just have to be patient.

Gettin real sick of people telling other people to be "patient"

Why should I, or any other person for that matter, have to wait for Sonic Team to actually improve their shit? We've been waiting for years, how much more waiting do we have do before we're just tired and feel like moving on?

• Thumbs Up 1

Why should I, or any other person for that matter, have to wait for Sonic Team to actually improve their shit? We've been waiting for years, how much more waiting do we have do before we're just tired and feel like moving on?

I imagine when we are all dead that his gravestone will say "Just be patient, Sonic Team will change eventually", and it turns out SEGA went under before that change ever happened.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't have a good answer (and I honestly don't know if it would change anybodies mind) but I do know that not everyone can get this stuff right on their first try when trying new things and like many others have said that just like unleashed we're probably gonna get 2 other games that try and improve on this one (this is what they've done with all of the different generations after all) so I probably wouldn't give up hope on anything until after that. 

It's almost Twilight Zone-ish the way many people's opinions just flipped on this game, even more so that people are feeling jaded as a result of it. Combined with my weirdly increased interest to actually play the game recently, especially with the cut scenes having been so enjoyable, and I feel both highly vindicated and anxiously put-off, so much some that I'm wondering whether I should even bother to pick it up come the time I get a WiiU.

• Thumbs Up 2

I somehow really doubt this will be the case. If anything I expect them to stick with this art direction for the next couple of games or so.

I dunno. The different artstyle being a one-off doesn't really seem that far-fetched to me considering that the setting is a unknown (alien?) planet. Not to mention the franchise is rather notorious for not sticking to the course-Sonic 06 dumped Heroes's approach of shiny plastic looks/colors/models for in favor for a super-realisitic approach to everything, which was subsequently dropped for the realistic environment/Pixar-esque character design for Unleashed.

Same. I think Generations may be my last /new/ Sonic game I'll get for a long while.

I don't have a good answer (and I honestly don't know if it would change anybodies mind) but I do know that not everyone can get this stuff right on their first try when trying new things and like many others have said that just like unleashed we're probably gonna get 2 other games that try and improve on this one (this is what they've done with all of the different generations after all) so I probably wouldn't give up hope on anything until after that. 

So you're expecting people to wait for two average sequels to this game before moving on, because that's kinda what most would say about Colors or Generations in comparison to Unleashed. :\

Look, I understand that you have this unyielding faith in Sonic Team no matter what, but I don't. Everything I once liked about the series is no longer around, nor does it resemble the series that I got into ten years ago. And I don't feel its worth my time to wait for some unspecified amount of time for them to actually start bringing those things back; there are other games out there that are doing far better than what Sonic is doing and I'd much rather put my time, money, and faith in them.

It's almost Twilight Zone-ish the way many people's opinions just flipped on this game, even more so that people are feeling jaded as a result of it. Combined with my weirdly increased interest to actually play the game recently, especially with the cut scenes having been so enjoyable, and I feel both highly vindicated and anxiously put-off, so much some that I'm wondering whether I should even bother to pick it up come the time I get a WiiU.

I'd say wait for a price drop, but yea I'd say pick it up. The game's bad by no means, just really really flawed from what I gathered but a lot of people enjoyed it nonetheless.

Okay, I must ask: even with its flaws, is this game actually enjoyable to play? I swear, the more I read these impressions, the more confused and nervous I'm left off afterwards...

You know, I actually totally understand and agree with the notion that a game such as this is sure to have imperfections and quirks that will be ironed out in subsequent games. Makes sense.

... Problem is, those imperfections and quirks generally don't tend to be glaring inherent design flaws that make the game feel lazily thrown together and completely mediocre at best. Generally.

"It's the first time they did this style" works for something like Unleashed's day-time gameplay, where it was still extremely polished and unique (there's still nothing else that plays like Unleashed other than Generations and arguably Colors), but not when the game is essentially "Mario but faster, plus a lazily implemented and badly designed parkour system".

Okay, I must ask: even with its flaws, is this game actually enjoyable to play? I swear, the more I read these impressions, the more confused and nervous I'm left off afterwards...

It really just depends on the person, for me I honestly enjoyed this game alot (and plan on getting a wii u later on so I can play my wii u version of it) and I don't really feel its as bad as most people make it out to be but as said before its an incredibly polarizing game so I can't really suggest or not suggest it to you because I can't say what your tastes are.

There is a fair amount of enjoyment to be had, yeah. You just have to suffer through the poor design choices and frustrating moments that come along with it.

You'll find that after you've poured a few hours into the game and you've managed to finally master some of the poorly explained mechanics, things got a lot more fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

Speaking strictly gameplay wise? It depends on your personal experience. I adjusted to the gameplay pretty much by Windy Hill Zone 3 and had a blast with the game overall. Some only really got into it later on, some even on their second playthrough.

And like MK said, they don't explain things all that well in the game itself, so I recommend that you read the little instruction thingy in the box. I did, so I had some idea of what I was getting into.

Edited by ElementofChaos

Yes.  Sometimes.  But not all of the time.  To me it's a bit like Unleashed, where you have to wade through a bunch of crap to get to the good bits.

Only in Lost World, rather than the crap being padded out missions and a swap in gameplay styles, it's just a case of having a mostly consistent gameplay style, but ridiculously varied level design.  How much fun you have completely depends on what level you're playing.  Unfortunately, after beating it, the number of levels I wanted to go back and replay was rather small.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well damn, you guys are just a bunch of roses and daises today huh? Never thought this would be the game to make a people wretch at the Sonic franchise as a whole, hell even the people who haven't played it. I know people are expecting their ideal "Sonic game" to get what they personally want from the franchise until they deem it worth it but I dunno, I find that somewhat unreasonable. Then again I'm easy to please so whatever.

"It's the first time they did this style" works for something like Unleashed's day-time gameplay, where it was still extremely polished and unique (there's still nothing else that plays like Unleashed other than Generations and arguably Colors), but not when the game is essentially "Mario but faster, plus a lazily implemented and badly designed parkour system".

Except…not Unleashed wasn't polished in the slightest. Sonic's control wasn't good, the daytime gameplay was filled with trial and error requiring you to be a master of the game to have any fun with it (hmm sounds familiar), the level design can get outright dickish and just play annoying, I'm sorry I don't really see the extreme amount of polish. 

Boost Era was unique, thats great and all, but since I know for a fact Sonic Team can do better (and indeed I recall a lot of people voicing their tiredness of the boost era in general before this game came along) and the fact they were will to take Sonic in a new direction despite having every chance to stay in their bubble was indeed nice to see, from the looks of things doesn't look like it worked at first, then again the same thing could be said about Unleashed.

And I don't think the parkour is anywhere near "badly designed" personally, when you use it, it feels really good to pull off.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 1

Except…not Unleashed wasn't polished in the sligh-

HOLD IT RIGHT THERE, MISTER! D: Unleashed is SO totally polished! Look at how Sonic gets stuck on the centimeter high steps in Arid Sands Night. That really shows how dedicated and ambitious Sonic Team was before all the stupid game critics had to go and shit all over the under rated masterpiece that was Sonic Unleashed!

oh gawd wat 'ave i dun