Awoo.

Lost World: Discussion, Impressions and Fan Reviews

Carbuncle

The wisps are alright as well. I've only had issues with Grey Quake's motion controls. Good thing you can turn it off at will.

Wait, you can turn off the Quake motion controls? HOW?!

As someone who prefers the 3DS version, my one major beef with it is the compulsory motion controls for the Special Stages and one or two boss fights. Don't get me wrong, they're definitely more well-implemented than any of the motion-controlled stuff the Wii U version put out, but the problem is that, rather than being the relatively subtle, inoffensive kind of motion controls, they're very much 'stand in the middle of a room and spin all around like an idiot' variety a la Face Raiders and Pokemon Dream Radar.

As someone who spends a good chunk of my 3DS time playing on the train to and from work every day, this makes some parts of the game outright unplayable for me unless I'm at home. Even though they work well enough, they're again an unnecessary hindrance, especially given the nature of handheld gaming, they really should have taken location and circumstance into account and allowed us the option of traditional controls. We can't always stand in the middle of a room and spin around, Dimps.

Edited by -Mark-

This game is just full of Shit Done For Absolutely No Reason. Wisps, the kick attack, cloud hopping, motion controls, removal of the the 100 ring extra life bonus, Mario clock, animal collecting, etc.

Can't believe I hadn't yet mentioned the kick attack.  What a pointless waste of time.  I don't know what it's like in the Wii U version, but in the 3DS version this thing is pointless, unintuitive, and quite often ends up with you getting hit rather than being any safer.  Then there are the times when you're trying to use the bounce move - another mechanic where I just have to ask why it's there - and the game decides you wanted to kick a nearby enemy instead, and there's actually no way of bouncing because it will always target the enemy.

I feel like Sonic's controls in any game should be incredibly simple and yet in this game there are so many new moves and things to learn, and some of it you wouldn't ever use if the game didn't force you to do so.  Sonic shouldn't be this complicated.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had no issue with the way the Deadly Six were were presented. We got enough context about them in the game itself. They're a group of monstrous beings that have designs for world domination.

There was a mystery in SA and SA2 that steadily revealed more about their principal characters, yeah, but that's just one approach. Lost World is more straightforward; they're more focused in presenting each member of the Six's personality and their characterization than, say, making us rethink our impressions ala Chaos. Anything pertinent, we're told by the characters themselves. This isn't neccessarily a bad thing.

However, I would have liked more context on the Lost Hex itself. It seemed to just be "Mario and Peach go to Dinosaur Land!" when... there's nothing in the game that says it couldn't just have been different locatons in Sonic's world/the Mushroom Kingdom with a bunch of new monsters in it.

EDIT - also, personally, I didn't have any issue whatsoever using the rocket wisp, and I was laying down. The asteroid wisp, however, I don't care for at all.

Edited by Razorsaw

Wait, you can turn off the Quake motion controls? HOW?!

You can deactivate the Wisp, not the motion controls

I had no issue with the way the Deadly Six were were presented. We got enough context about them in the game itself. They're a group of monstrous beings that have designs for world domination.

There was a mystery in SA and SA2 that steadily revealed more about their principal characters, yeah, but that's just one approach. Lost World is more straightforward; they're more focused in presenting each member of the Six's personality and their characterization than, say, making us rethink our impressions ala Chaos. Anything pertinent, we're told by the characters themselves. This isn't neccessarily a bad thing.

However, I would have liked more context on the Lost Hex itself. It seemed to just be "Mario and Peach go to Dinosaur Land!" when... there's nothing in the game that says it couldn't just have been different locatons in Sonic's world/the Mushroom Kingdom with a bunch of new monsters in it.

EDIT - also, personally, I didn't have any issue whatsoever using the rocket wisp, and I was laying down. The asteroid wisp, however, I don't care for at all.

This approach doesn't work, however, when their individual personalities are outstandingly boring and cliche. The Deadly Six are hardly characters in their own right (rather, just cardboard cutouts of basic fictional character tropes slapped onto a Sonic game), so presenting them without any context or history that would make them stand out in just one single possible way is a very bad approach. They're not nearly interesting enough for the method you've described.

SA1 gave us Gamma as one of the game's new characters. SA2 gave us Shadow and Rouge. Wouldn't you like more of that?

Or would you prefer "I am Girl. Don't mess up my nails!"

• Thumbs Up 6

So I guess since this is also a discussion thread (really, I don't know where to put a lot of things on this board. XD)

More info on Sonic's depressing Japanese sales:

http://nintendoeverything.com/sonic-lost-world-off-to-a-very-rough-start-in-japan/

SEGA should just make Sonic an all digital title over there, it'd save them money in packaging and all those other physical retail money sinks.

Two thousand copies?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_NxpoSW52M

It's been more or less established that Sonic is hardly popular in Japan, but this is seriously one hell of a new low. I won't be surprised if Sega with the next Sonic decides to go the all-digital route like VisionaryBlur or outright pulls a No Export For You.

Yeah, a console with low sales+Sonic's lack of popularity in Japan will create abysmal sales like that.

That's very disheartening and the fact that this really wasn't advertised too much (though I did see the commercial once on tv) doesn't really help matters. For comparison's sake how does this games sales compare to the old games.

But still it was the best selling Wii U game last week in Japan and with only 2000 I imagine the Wii U isn't doing well there either. This is depressing. 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Sonic Team knew this wouldn't sell well in Japan from the get-go. From their perspective, niche game series + semi-niche console = hilariously disappointing sales.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Sonic Team knew this wouldn't sell well in Japan from the get-go. From their perspective, niche game series + semi-niche console + more westernised than ever = hilariously disappointing sales.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, do you think the Westernisation is partly why Europe isn't taking to it either? Sonic Chronicles is the only other Sonic game I can think of that tries to be overtly American in tone, and that flopped in Europe as well. 

Edited by VEDJ-F

Yeah, it might be, but Europe is much more accepting of that kind of thing than Japan is.

I can tell that the next game in the series is gonna do a lot of reverting. Hopefully not so much that it makes the next games exactly like what we had before this one, but still.

Yeah, it might be, but Europe is much more accepting of that kind of thing than Japan is.

I can tell that the next game in the series is gonna do a lot of reverting. Hopefully not so much that it makes the next games exactly like what we had before this one, but still.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't relieved.

It's no doubt that Unleashed would have been blessed with critical and financial success if not for the stupid werehog murdering any chance it had at succeeding. I think Sonic Team is best off just letting their artistic vision flow freely without trying so hard to pander and satisfy specific groups.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, do you think the Westernisation is partly why Europe isn't taking to it either? Sonic Chronicles is the only other Sonic game I can think of that tries to be overtly American in tone, and that flopped in Europe as well. 

nah i dont think so. Shadow the hedgehog was made for the American fans in mind and to my understanding the game sold well in Europe

nah i dont think so. Shadow the hedgehog was made for the American fans in mind and to my understanding the game sold well in Europe

Shadow actually seems very Japanese in places, even with the guns abound. 

Shadow actually seems very Japanese in places, even with the guns abound.

Wow learn something new everyday

Shadow the Hedgehog doesn't seem very Japanese to me. If anything, it seems the most American; It's basically the cheesy B-movie action flick of the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ugh, I think my biggest problem with the story in this game isn't any of the subplots, but the fact that none of them really go anywhere. Tails acts jealous because Sonic trusts Eggman, and yet it's never brought up again beyond that one cutscene. The game makes a big deal out of Sonic fucking up and feeling bad about it, and yet at no point does he show any development by not making those same mistakes. Tails is almost turned into a robot, but then they go ahead and and show us him reprogramming the machine, destroying any tension the next cutscene where he confronts Sonic might have had. There's absolutely no explanation for the Lost Hex, the Deadly Six and why they're so "Deadly," the cacophonic conch, nothing. They're nothing more than characters for Sonic to fight and are never expanded upon at all. At the end of the game they're beat in a boss fight before disappearing with absolutely no sendoff whatsoever, despite being the main villains of the fucking game. The marketing for this game hyped up the alliance between Sonic and Eggman so much, but he never actually does anything. We're given a vague explanation for why they need to team up, but Eggman "dies" before ever actually doing anything, and Tails later shows that he was perfectly capable of doing it by himself, making Eggman, despite how much others praise his character, completely irrelevant to the plot of this game. And then he's shoehorned into the final boss role anyway despite how fucking useless he was! What in the actual fuck?

Also i still think Tails is a massive bitch in this game but I mostly chalk that up to the jealousy subplot* having no buildup whatsoever.

*Single cutscene

• Thumbs Up 6

The only time I found Lava Mountain Zone 2 particularly hard was getting the Red Rings. :V

That's really about it. Otherwise, it's just a more difficult version of Tropical Coast Act 3