Awoo.

Lost World: Discussion, Impressions and Fan Reviews

Carbuncle

What was Brainscratches opinion on the characterization, characters, and to a lesser extent, overall plot?

D6 are lame (Clement is the only one who likes them), story is lame, characterization is lame besides Eggman and his posse.

Edited by Soniman

most of them thought that the characterizationwas good but thats mostly sonic and eggman. their opinion about the zeti is mixed clement likes zor while ted hates zazz zor and i think zomom. They thought that the overall plot was bad like tails getting mad at sonic for not trusting him just came out of nowhere(which i completely freaking agree) but compared to the other games its the better ones. oh and Johnny and Ryan were on the same page that the deadly six dont add anything and just came out of nowhere and their storyline was anti-climatic 

Edited by Dejimon11

I thought the characterization was pretty good. Sonic, Tails, Eggman, Deadly Six. Hell, even Amy of all people actually had some good character for once.

Reading from what other people said, a lot seem to dislike the climax and that the story didn't have much development. I personally didn't really care about the development as I tend to ignore the story of these types of games. The climax I do agree with. It seemed rushed and it didn't have as big of an epic build as previous Sonic games had such as Sonic Colors.

Let's make something clear.

This game tries to be like Mario, and this includes the death system. In Mario, you often die. Since the game gives out lives like candy, it's not that big of a deal. Since levels are short, losing all your lives isn't that big of a deal.

HOWEVER!

Sonic doesn't give out lives like candy. You can't get lives from 100 rings unlike getting 100 coins. Levels are long so losing all your lives is frustrating.

Games like Sonic Colors didn't really have long levels. It was also insanely easy to stack up on lives. The level design wasn't really focused on dying a lot compared to the Mario-like Lost World.

Adding the ability to get lives after 100 rings would mean you would have a healthy stack of 1-Ups. There wouldn't be moments of frustration where you would have to start at the beginning of the level. It's a small thing but it solves a big problem.

There's also the idea of making levels shorter in addition to adding back 100 ring lives.

...like I said, I understand why people don't like it. I don't think it was a good choice, either, and agree with what you're saying completely. I was just saying that it's not the first Sonic game to do so.

:V

D6 are lame (Clement is the only one who likes them), story is lame, characterization is lame besides Eggman and his posse.

What were their problems with the way Sonic was characterized? I thought he came off as more natural and real than previous games.:/

I was just saying that it's not the first Sonic game to do so.

I just don't get the complaint "well it wasn't the first Sonic game to do it" - It made sense to do it in previous games. Imagine getting 300 lives in Gens, Colors, and Unleashed. That would become annoying quite quickly.

What were their problems with the way Sonic was characterized? I thought he came off as more natural and real than previous games.:/

they said its better than the other games it was more like sonic was being snarky throughout the entire game and now all of a sudden he realizes "oh this is horrible i should be serious now" and i can agree. the way i can describe this games story is like the plot to the fairly odd parents movie timmy does something stupid and doesnt care about anything until near the end of the movie when he realizes that the world is in danger(or something bad happens like not having his fairies) thats when he starts getting serious 

They included the Werehog for multiple reasons, including padding, appealing to kids, and the biggest and most franchise damaging brainfart ever.

Even though the Werehog looks cool. And the game wasn't that bad.

Shut up, I like Sonic Unleashed a lot okay

So yeah, Lost World.

If any of you have noticed in the status updates a few days ago, you'll know that I returned the 3DS version. To sum up my post-game thoughts...

...it had some good bits in there, but most of it was mediocre and... just plain not fun. I grossly underestimated how tedious the puzzles were. I must have been blinded by that honeymoon phase you get when you play a new Sonic game, and, if I have to be honest with myself, a bit of delusion.

I really wanted to love this game, but I can't find myself justifying the $40 price tag. It isn't the worst Sonic game ever, heck, it isn't even the worst Dimps Sonic game ever, but it was not all it was cracked up to be. 

I'd have been much happier with another boost game, or Sonic Rush 3 (if we can just pretend that Sonic Colors DS doesn't count, kthanks) or Colors 2, even. 

I feel your pain indigo, I too love me some sonic unleashed.

As for the 3ds version of lost world I can't really agree on that, only time when the game really wasn't great for me were sky roads zone 1 and 2 (and windy hill zone 2 cause those zazz encounters annoy the heck out of me coming back to them) I think the game is actually pretty fun, getting to know the mechanics is nice especially since the game doesn't butter you up with tutorials its fun to experiment and find out new things and while the game does have a few too many 2d levels for my liking those are still pretty fun too. But, I can understand why you didn't like it, this game is very puzzle-y and admittedly it probably would be a whole lot better without some forced enemy fighting (looking at you silent forest act 2).

Maybe I just didn't care that the story may not tie in every single little gap in this game because I was just so thankful to even HAVE a story. The last two games have barely had a story to focus on that much, while this one actually does have a story to focus on during your playthrough of it. I know it isn't perfect, but when you haven't had a story in awhile, I'll take what story I can get. I thought it was well done, just with a few missing elements honestly.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Brainscratch crew's impressions:

Their thoughts mirror mine for the most part.

Edited by Noctis Caelum
  • Thumbs Up 1

there was one thing that baffled me during the video that they complained about. 100 rings =/= life they said that in the previous games games that never happened even though when ive played shadow, unleashed and colors and colected 100 rings i never got an extra life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUouog3NwOE

0:28 seconds in

But you are correct in Shadow and Colours not having them, though Shadow had a much more lenient ring loss system and Colours had significantly shorter and easier levels.

The biggest problem with Lost World for me is how it often makes the Wing Capsule unavoidable in pretty crucial areas that provide you with a free life somewhere along the way.  Lava Mountain Act 3 is one such place, if you get knocked down to your last life by the final platforming segment, there is no way to avoid the Wing Capsule and you are forced to take on Zavok with only one chance.

You can probably figure how well this went for me the first time I played.  There is nothing fun about replaying a long level as punishment for incompetence.  This is why Eggmanland dished out a life after every checkpoint despite people moaning about it for some reason back in the day.

Edited by JezMM

^^^

Gosh, watching that video makes me miss the sounds of Unleashed. No no, not the annoying radio effect on the music, but the loud and very enjoyable sound effects. Lost World absolutely sucks in that regard. Enemies don't make much sound, and there's not really much else that you really ever hear in the stages.

And I really do wish they'd do away with the "realistic" '06 sound effects in favour of the Adventure or Generations Classic-style ones. Landing on a rail used to sound like a powerful metal clank followed by the sound of metal grinding. Now it's just an underwhelming "cha" when you land and a "kssssshhhh" as you slide along. Yawn

EDIT: Also with the Wing Caspule making you miss Red Rings. I kept dying trying to get the Red Ring on the second pinball table in FF3 (you shouldn't even be able to lose lives there, I mean come on), and then the bloody capsule appeared in an unavoidable place forcing me to move on.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yay, didn't really expect anyone to agree on something so nitpicky. At least the adventure spring sound is used for the trampoline on SR4.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't mind the new dash pad and spring sound but I would be lying if I said that the old one wasn't better.

Yay, didn't really expect anyone to agree on something so nitpicky. At least the adventure spring sound is used for the trampoline on SR4.

Oh wow, you're right! I wish it was the normal spring sound, but hey, whatcha gonna do.

You know, the more we talk about the small touches like that, the more I actually end up missing SA1.

What the heck happened to me.

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm not actually a huge fan of classic retro BWOOP jumping I have to say.  The first time I played Unleashed and we got that super satisfying wh-ch-ch-ch-ch of him spinning it was one of many touches that made me feel Sonic had been totally reinvented in how he moved around and it was gonna be fantastic.  When he jumped in the same way in Colours, I was overjoyed that it seemed to be a minstay.

Does this game have a new ring sound effect though?  I swear when I collect a bunch of them in one go it perks up my nostalgia ears as it reminds me of the 8-bit games' ring sound effect, which I don't get from other 3D Sonic games.

Edited by JezMM

Lost World happened

Eh, I just think we're going through that nitpicking phase like we do with every single Sonic release, I don't see how this is anything new.

Eh, I just think we're going through that nitpicking phase like we do with every single Sonic release, I don't see how this is anything new.

Yea, but this is on top of everything else wrong with this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, in a couple months im pretty sure this is all going to blow over.

I actually don't mind the modern dashpad sound, but I do miss the old spring noises. Although speaking of sounds, I really like the old and new noises the Spindash makes, when charging it up and when actually dashing. It's really, really satisfying.

In fact, has anyone made a topic on sound effects? 'cause it's an interesting discussion that was fun to read and then it turned into "wow Lost World sure is a failure haha"

Yea, but this is on top of everything else wrong with this game.Sent from my iPhone using Tapaptalk

An extremely minor and completey subjective feature that the player may or may not even notice/care about? Yeah I suppose so.

Edited by Soniman