Awoo.

Lost World: Discussion, Impressions and Fan Reviews

Carbuncle

This may come as a surprise to you all, but the 3DS version actually feels more...Sonic-y than the Wii U version. It also controls a bit better too. It genuinely feels like a Sonic experience (with the exception of a couple of puzzle levels), and it feels fast, fun, and fluid. Did I mention that there's online multiplayer too?

The Wii U version is great, but not exactly a step forward. I really enjoyed it, and it's a good foundation for something new. But ArtFenix was actually right when he said that there are a lot of similarities to Mario (please don't hit me!). It's okay for this one time, but I don't want them playing "me too" again. There are also some very sharp difficulty spikes in this version, namely Lava Mountain 2. However the Wii U version is a great game and I do recommend it.

But I'd have to give both versions each an 8/10, both have their own pros and cons, but which version you want would depend on what you're willing to give up for what.

Edited by Wil348
  • Thumbs Up 1

Video impressions!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9axtAWROcxg

Long winded I apologise.  Still, I had fun making it.  Also you may want to up your volume as well as it's a little quiet.

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 1

Got the chance to play SLW with my pals today.

We only got up to Silent Forest and well I would say it's slightly better than what I had experienced at Eurogamer Expo earlier. The first set of levels were fun and enjoyable, however as we progress it does get a little bit frustrating and I feel that the controls need a little bit getting used to the first time round. No doubt it's the sharpest looking Sonic game (or in fact sharper in any Wii U title I had played) ever though now that it runs at 60FPS. Oh and of course the soundtrack is the best yet I have heard in a long time.

Going to see how it goes tomorrow after work but this game should be good enough as a recommendation.

Edited by deepbluespeed99

I just got the game, luckily early. I will post my review and thoughts soon. Luckily alot of reviews and comments on here tell me ill probably really enjoy this game. Like any Sonic game, I expect there share of problems but, hopefully I will enjoy this new path for future Sonic games if they stay this course.

The only word I can find to describe this game is inconsistent. The game varies between being incredibly fun and mind-numbingly frustrating. The amount of gimmick stages just for the sake of variety is fucking obnoxious. Beyond the odd diverging pathway or wall-jumping segment the levels aren't designed around the new mechanics at all, so while it's enjoyable to run up and along walls and stuff it doesn't have much of a purpose. The level design doesn't feel much like a Sonic game at all, and while the overall story is good it all went to shit in the final world, with the deadly six being unceremoniously thrown aside and Eggman suddenly being alive just for the sake of having an Eggman fight despite the fact that he contirbuted absolutely nothing to the story. It's a fun game, but it does too many things wrong for me to really love it. If they refined the current gameplay mechanics and designed the levels around them with less random gimmick stages it could be a great game.

Unfortunately the next game will probably be completely different from this one anyway so meh

My thoughts on Lost World overall;

Well it was a bit disappointing. I thought the later levels in the game were going to be really fun just like the earlier levels. That was not the case. The game is really good up until about Sky Zone 4, then the game takes a downward spiral. The controls sometimes work in your favour, sometimes they don't. It's a bit like Unleashed in that respect, and sometimes it's really frustrating. However it's not all doom and gloom, as I said, the earlier levels are really fun to play through, and the spin dash is really fast and works well. The jump is really annoying though, it breaks your flow a lot. But overall, it's a good, maybe great game, but not amazing or outstanding.

The 3DS version was very good, I really enjoyed that version. The controls felt better, and some of the stages were better too.

Overall, I think Sonic Team need to go back to basics in terms of level design, since that's what everybody seems to want. Maybe make the levels more open, keep the spin dash, add the boost as a special move that can only be used when you collect a large number of rings, etc.

I can recommend Lost World for the earlier and mid game levels, but not for the later levels.

What I'm worried about is whether this game has done damage to the series or not. I hope it hasn't.

By the way, I just had a thought; It's the Storybook/Colours team behind this isn't it? Well Generations team must be up to something then, maybe the 3rd Nintendo exclusive?

Edited by Wil348

Another new type of gameplay would kinda stink, Hopefully Sega pulls a Colors and takes the good parts of LW's mechanics and merge them with Generations to make a great game for platforming/speed fans to enjoy.

By the way, I just had a thought; It's the Storybook/Colours team behind this isn't it? Well Generations team must be up to something then, maybe the 3rd Nintendo exclusive?

That's what I've been thinking, but i know that the Colors team merged with the Generations team to finish the game before, so they might be whole. But the way that Sega's been quiet about the third exclusive really piques my interests on if it could be another mainline Sonic title.

Edited by Narukami07

Had a brief shot at the game. One thing that really bothered me was the delayed reaction to the homing attack. I know that's to accommodate hitting multiple targets, but I want it to be immediate and responsive. There is no point in being able to take down 12 enemies at once, because there is no point in having 12 enemies in a row specifically to homing attack and get points.

Also, something doesn't feel quite right about Sonic having "gears" of speed. I dunno, but it just feels off. I want a more...fluid acceleration and no arbitrary speed cap for a given "gear". Like Sonic should be able to reach a high speed eventually, without without the use of the run button. Using the run button merely increases Sonic's acceleration (not his top speed), and compromises his handling to provide a little balance.

I like the parkour though. Better than I thought it would be, but assigning it to the same button as run was a mistake, in the same way assigning the air-boost/boost to the same button as the homing attack was a mistake in Unleashed. I could lead to some frustrating moments in more difficult levels...

Can't comment on level design beyond the couple that I played. Those were OK, but they're the early stages, so can't say much.

If and when I get a chance to play more than a few runthroughs of the first couple stages, I'll go into more detail of what I like/dislike and how I'd want it improved.

I'm glad that so many people like the game, especially when you've all at this point probably paid the full release price for it. Personally, I pretty much agree with the majority of reviews on the internet. I'm not a fan, I just don't think it worked very well. I think the honest answer is Sonic is a hard nut to crack. The original game was incredibly stylish but made little sense in gameplay terms.  Every subsequent game has either been chasing the myth of the first or trying to make sense of it.

Personally I loved Sonic Generations so I guess I was hoping for more of the same. That's my fault though, I guess.

Thank you for the impressions, now I can go into it next week (If there are no delays) with optimistic but realistic expectations. 

Thank you for the impressions, now I can go into it next week (If there are no delays) with optimistic but realistic expectations. 

Same. I've come to terms with the fact that it's probably not going to live up to my astronomical hopes. Judging from what I've heard about it and what I've seen, I'll like it just fine even if I don't adore it like Generations.

Exactly. These impressions give me what reviews don't usually provide. By nature reviews have to be more general, but impressions can be more detailed and point out exactly what works and what doesn't. It's more helpful.

Same. I've come to terms with the fact that it's probably not going to live up to my astronomical hopes. Judging from what I've heard about it and what I've seen, I'll like it just fine even if I don't adore it like Generations.

giphy.gif

Ditto.

Had a brief shot at the game. One thing that really bothered me was the delayed reaction to the homing attack. I know that's to accommodate hitting multiple targets, but I want it to be immediate and responsive. There is no point in being able to take down 12 enemies at once, because there is no point in having 12 enemies in a row specifically to homing attack and get points.

Also, something doesn't feel quite right about Sonic having "gears" of speed. I dunno, but it just feels off. I want a more...fluid acceleration and no arbitrary speed cap for a given "gear". Like Sonic should be able to reach a high speed eventually, without without the use of the run button. Using the run button merely increases Sonic's acceleration (not his top speed), and compromises his handling to provide a little balance.

I like the parkour though. Better than I thought it would be, but assigning it to the same button as run was a mistake, in the same way assigning the air-boost/boost to the same button as the homing attack was a mistake in Unleashed. I could lead to some frustrating moments in more difficult levels...

Can't comment on level design beyond the couple that I played. Those were OK, but they're the early stages, so can't say much.

If and when I get a chance to play more than a few runthroughs of the first couple stages, I'll go into more detail of what I like/dislike and how I'd want it improved.

Really this game's controls just look clunky in general.  Same air strange friction since I'm not even sure, homing attack is even more jarring (Any UI designer will tell you that some kind of response to an response to an input should happen within .1 seconds and video games aren't really different), and now you're just always holding the run button.  Not running seems so slow that I can't imagine anyone using it even when they do need precision, thanks in part to the air friction.  

I can't comment on the gameplay as I haven't played it - no Wii-u-. But the story.... HOLY SHIT was this an eye opener. I'll be completely honest. I wanted to hate the story cause I didn't care too much for the game, but I'm calling it like I see it. And this story was shocking and kicked major ass. Sonic getting a character arc? Eggman even had an arc.. fuck Sonic Tails and Eggman were REAL. They had emotions and made me take them seriously. And I wanted to HATE the game because I didn't like it. 

I LOVED the fact Tails called Sonic out on his bullshit thru out the entire game, and Sonic felt BAD about it. He showed EMOTIONS. I can't say the same about the demons or the Zeti as while they were written good. They were groan worthy, the writing was good tho. I just didn't like them as much, I felt like as good as Eggman ,Sonic and Tails were, the Zeti could've been written just a bit better. THey felt weak compared to Sonic and company. Again I have no thoughts on the gameplay as I never played it .... but my god, The writing was awesome. The over-all plot.... I'm more of a fan of SA2 as it felt more dire? But this is miles ahead of anything sonic written when you look at the characters. THey steal the show in every sence and I'm about to watch them all again for a while. Fuck... the way it's written might get me to buy the system and the game.... and I hate the Wii-u. So that's saying ALOT. Good shit Sega. 

Edited by Gewn Naka

- Regular 3D levels is pretty good

- Regular 2D levels are decent

- Most gimmicky levels are mediocre and/or frustrating

- Some gimmicky levels are actually fun

- Graphics have a nice and very clean look to them.

- Cutscenes are done better than any Sonic game before.

- The actual story is terrible though. I get that it's supposed to be for kids, but the dialog is as bad as fan-fiction written by a 12 year old.

I want to add some thoughts about the story, because I don't think it deserves the universal praise it's getting.  Sonic and Eggman were top-notch.  No questions... but Tails is getting a lot of praise I feel is unwarranted.

His character is irksomely inconsistent - compared to previous games and within this game itself.

Whenever Eggman and Tails have had to team up in the past, there's always been this sense of mutual respect.  The both of them are well aware that their rival is just as technologically inclined as they are.  Notice how Eggman is mature enough in this game as well that he never calls out Tails for being a feeble inventor, while Tails badmouths him at every opportunity in a way completely unlike his kind nature exhibited in every game previous.

But fine, I can accept that times have changed, Sonic's snarkiness is rubbing off on Tails or the writers have just decided to retcon his old personality for a new generation of Sonic storylines, that's totally fine.  I don't have to entirely like it but I can accept it.

So what annoys me more is the inconsistency in the game itself.

Depending on the scene, we have either a backtalking jerk who starts shit for no reason or a genius 8 year old who is lacking in worldly experience and common sense.

Contrast these scenes:

Early on in the game, Tails is so inept and cowering in the face of danger, Sonic physically carries him to safely.

Early on in the game, Tails puts his genius to use without thinking of the crucial details, and unknowingly puts himself in danger by converting Cubot into a robot designed for battle.  This was a lovely little moment that showed that genius or not, Tails was still a kid who is more prone to acting without thinking than he'd like to believe.

Later on in the game, Tails is a total snark in the face of danger, posing all relaxed when the Deadly Six discover him in the capsule.

Later on in the game, Tails willingly undergoes faking becoming a cyborg right in the lion's den, and opens fire on enemies who are now seriously powered up by Eggman's energy draining machine (it's actually a wonder why they run away).

To me these portrayals just feel... conflicting to me.

Tails does still have some great moments though.  My favourite thing is how

when he turns to talk to Sonic about what he's doing in the ending, he is gesturing to talk with his right hand while his left hand continues to frantically reprogram a massive energy draining weapon

without even looking at the screen.  I loved that.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 3

Early on in the game, Tails is so inept and cowering in the face of danger, Sonic physically carries him to safely.

Tails was, albeit behind cover, shot directly by a missile. I'm pretty sure most characters would be rendered stunned when hit directly like that

Edited by Carbuncle

Tails was, albeit behind cover, shot directly by a missile. I'm pretty sure most characters would be rendered stunned when hit directly like that

This is still the same Tails who used to be a playable character and head into battle headfirst.  He didn't exactly have his wits about him here.

Can anyone tell me how Amy and Knuckles were in the game? Just no huge spoilers please.

I went and watched all the cutscenes. They appeared in about four in total. Knuckles was pretty much a Buttmonkey & had maybe five lines throughout them. Amy did most of the talking, and while I'm still getting used to her Minnie Mouse-esque new voice, they definitely toned down the Flanderization of her love/Crush for Sonic. She was really more concerned with helping those critters and what was going on around them for the most part.

Edited by KittyNakajima

This is still the same Tails who used to be a playable character and head into battle headfirst.  He didn't exactly have his wits about him here.

It's only in one scene, near the start of the game, where he is unprepared and shot behind cover.

Even Sonic ran away in that scene.

And as you say, Tails is quite the badass throughout the rest of the game.

Really this game's controls just look clunky in general.  Same air strange friction since I'm not even sure, homing attack is even more jarring (Any UI designer will tell you that some kind of response to an response to an input should happen within .1 seconds and video games aren't really different), and now you're just always holding the run button.  Not running seems so slow that I can't imagine anyone using it even when they do need precision, thanks in part to the air friction.

I can tell you from about 15 - 20 hours of actually playing the game and being fully accustomed to the controls that none of what you said is the case. Walking is a lot more useful than you'd expect. There are plenty of segments particularly later on in the game where slowing down a little to space your jumps properly or to traverse narrow terrain is very handy. As one grows more accustomed to the controls walking is used less and less in favour of running and spin dashing but that of course makes sense and has essentially been the case in every good Sonic game. The more you get used to the game and the more you learn the level design the faster you're able to tackle it.

Additionally, I don't quite understand the comments on air friction. Aerial control has in my opinion been the best it had been and had hit a real nice sweet spot in terms of control and satisfaction.

Honestly sometimes I feel as though I'm playing a different game to others. I don't have any of the issues others seen to have with controls.