Awoo.

Lost World: Discussion, Impressions and Fan Reviews

Carbuncle

I'm not blaming the writers for the music.  I just think the cutscene music is one aspect that makes the story less engaging.  It's not a HUGE factor, but it does affect how much I enjoy scenes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno, I agree with you to a point, but despite the moments where it falls flat, there are just as many moments that really gripped me.

The scene where Eggman supposedly dies really got to me, for instance, in fact, the entire endgame was incredible up to the abrupt halt. They were hitting

all the right notes up to that point.

But I have to agree with you that Lost World needs more work on that. Where its strength lies though is it's character interaction and emotion. They don't look like puppets that you're supposed to ascribe a situation to like in the Adventure games, here I actually believe that Sonic is happy/mad/sad/annoyed and whatnot, and when two characters are having a go at each other, it doesn't feel spontaneous or out of place; it flows naturally. They dropped the ball on some moments like the one you mentioned, but for the most part I was hooked. The Lost World story is one of my favorites in the series not because of it's depth or anything, but because Sonic and co. were given life like they've never had before.

That's why I like the story. It's definitely the best part of the game to me.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 7

In regards to the music, it is something that is really noticeable at times; the stage themes are alright, but the cutscene music is just kinda....bland? Yea, that's a good way to describe it. The soundtrack doesn't really convey the emotions the scenes are trying to tell. I mean like it was said, its not a huge deal and the story still stands regardless, but it does arguably make it a lot weaker.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I finally was able to beat Sonic Lost World (thank you overtime). Not going to lie, I was sort of disappointed on the game when I played it during SDCC. But I was surprised when I played because damn, I actually liked it. Though it doesn't mean that the game doesn't have its flaws.

Without sounding like a broken record, I think the game's biggest flaw is identity. Is it Sonic Colors 2? Is it Super Sonic Galaxy? Is it Sonic X-Treme Adventure 3?

While some of the good ideas were good, it really felt like Sonic Team needed to hold on to one and run with it. For example, the "parkour."After all, it was the main theme of the game that it was advertised the most, but it almost felt short. The abilities Sonic has in this game are not that new at all, some of them just being enhanced versions of skills he had since the Adventure days.

And while I loved pushing the limits of those abilities, I really wished Sonic Team would've explored the parkour element more.

Like others have said, I thought that the cutscene music is average as fuck and as much as I loved the music, it didn't really scream Sonic to me (Tropical Coast 1, as sweet as it is, could pass for a SM Sunshine tune.)

While the gimmicks some of the levels had were cool, they could've been toned somewhat. I liked the snowball level, but I can see why people hate it. The solution? Why not put it as a small part of the level itself or as a mini-game.

Don't get me started on the Wisps, might as well controlled them with my feet while doing backflips.

The story....well, let's just say I had more satisfaction from Generation's over-glorified level list story than Lost World's. When I heard that Sonic Team basically did the premise but the writers were going to take care of the story and dialogue I was sort of excited.

It wasn't that the story was bad so much that it was just there. What is the Lost Hex? Who are the Zeti? I know a story shouldn't explain every detail and leaving things for you to connect the dots sometimes work but holy Oshima, this story didn't even give us.

I agree with what Gregzilla said above, the dialogue and even some of the performances of the voice actors really brought it down for me.

By this time you must be thinking, "sheesh El Driver, are you sure you like it?" Yes fellow SSMB, yes I did. Like I said, the parkour gameplay is the way to go. I'll take enhancing Sonic natural's abilities and interacting with the environment (better than they did with this game btw) than a Wisp that turns Sonic into fucking Godzilla anytime of the day.

Btw I enjoyed those mystery acts and Nights DLC, sue me.

• Thumbs Up 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vcik0fmNio

NickonAquaMagna's beast of a review.  Personally, I think it's excellent and covers just about everything on the game.  Whilst long, it's definitely worth watching in its entirety in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 5

I especially like his point of how the game gets several times better when you go through it again.

Like, in that second red ring in Silent Forest 2 I swear I tried like 20 fucking times to get the red ring and missed it every time, completely fed up I skipped it and moved on.

Then when I beat the game and came back to get it I managed to get the red ring on my first try without any trouble whatsoever, caught me completely off guard. I fumbled through the game a lot but when I finally got into the game's groove it became a blast for me. It really is a game that leaves a really lame first impression on you (which is what I can guess earned it those not great reviews) but when you give it a second shot you can discover a whole lot more about it and see where you can do shit you wouldn't even think of the first time through, and indeed it seems to be a opinion that I'm seeing among fans more who weren't blown away by the first play through.

Take for instance, the scene where

Tails shoves Sonic out of the way to save him, getting captured and leaving Sonic dismayed.

That should feel important, right?  Well, it doesn't.  Because the writing is still very childish and cartoony, so that absolutely no tension is felt in this scene.  Sonic's emotions don't feel genuine because it's still being delivered in a very Saturday-morning fashion, and that just isn't that engaging.

I'm playing the game with Japanese voices and have the silly problem that I understand just about enough Japanese to be able to tell that the subtitles don't match, but can't completely understand everything. It seems like the Englisch dialogue tries very hard to be witty and cool, while the Japanese is just... the usual.

Like when (before Tropical Coast)

Eggman loses control over the Deadly Six and Tails gets hit, he just says "you saved me"; while in the subtitles it's a snarky comment about not wanting to have gotten fried or something.

In any case, I'd prefer a more anime-inspired style over this particular, hectic and loud, cartoonish presentation.

But that "anime styled dialogue" lacks any character or personality to it whatsoever, like you can just use that plain piece of dialogue for almost any character, at the very least with the fired line I could narrow it down to what character spoke it, because it's what more characteristic.

• Thumbs Up 7

By "anime-inspired style" I referred to the general presentation which is usually slower paced and more clearly arranged.

In terms of dialogue... such and such. I think the English dialogue tries a bit too hard, while the Japanese dialogue is just the same as always, which I personally like a lot. I don't see how the characters would be any less recognizable in the Japanese dub, they all have their own distinct way of speaking.

It's however really curious to me how Tails, in only this tiny moment, is portrayed as rather modest (and exhausted) while the English line makes him seem kind of snotty. I don't mind him being a little know-it-all, but just not that way.

Not really a fan of all the re-used Windy Hill assets or the run button, Sonic should just run at whatever speed depending on how far your control stick is tilted. Also, so people don't parkour when they want to the running button should just be parkour button.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vcik0fmNio

NickonAquaMagna's beast of a review.  Personally, I think it's excellent and covers just about everything on the game.  Whilst long, it's definitely worth watching in its entirety in my opinion.

Words cannot describe how annoying this guy is to me. I had to quit the review when he went on a rant about how the homing attack is apparently the worst thing ever to happen to the series. Seriously?

I've never liked his videos and I don't think I'll ever be able to sit through this one either.

Seriously. I can't be the only one who feels this way.

• Thumbs Up 2

By "anime-inspired style" I referred to the general presentation which is usually slower paced and more clearly arranged.

In terms of dialogue... such and such. I think the English dialogue tries a bit too hard, while the Japanese dialogue is just the same as always, which I personally like a lot. I don't see how the characters would be any less recognizable in the Japanese dub, they all have their own distinct way of speaking.

It's however really curious to me how Tails, in only this tiny moment, is portrayed as rather modest (and exhausted) while the English line makes him seem kind of snotty. I don't mind him being a little know-it-all, but just not that way.

I don't care much for Tails' personality rework at all in this game but I had no problems with this line.  "You almost got fried" is the sort of thing Sonic would say, so Tails repeating the phrase exactly just showed how conked out and dazed he was from the experience, yet also trying to save face and show he's as brave as Sonic by mutually underexaggerating the danger of the situation.

While I didn't find it funny (I think it was trying to be a little), it didn't feel out of character.

• Thumbs Up 1

Words cannot describe how annoying this guy is to me. I had to quit the review when he went on a rant about how the homing attack is apparently the worst thing ever to happen to the series. Seriously?

I've never liked his videos and I don't think I'll ever be able to sit through this one either.

Seriously. I can't be the only one who feels this way.

As pretentious as he sounds, he does make a lot of valid points that I think people tend to ignore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 2

As pretentious as he sounds, he does make a lot of valid points that I think people tend to ignore.

I didn't think he sounded that bad honestly. Mind you there are several points he makes that I disagree with. The homing attack for example, also I personally like Roger Craig Smith. Favorite voice for me. 

I disagreed with the homing attack example too, but what is it about him that annoys you? (To let you know this is the only review of his I've seen.

I don't care much for Tails' personality rework at all in this game but I had no problems with this line.  "You almost got fried" is the sort of thing Sonic would say, so Tails repeating the phrase exactly just showed how conked out and dazed he was from the experience, yet also trying to save face and show he's as brave as Sonic by mutually underexaggerating the danger of the situation.

While I didn't find it funny (I think it was trying to be a little), it didn't feel out of character.

I never meant the line to be an example for Tails' portrayal. It was just one that I remembered from playing the night before and I wanted to have at least something to illustrate my point (differences between English and Japanese dub).

I realize there is a need for making content from other parts of the world more accessible to different cultures, but with SLW I find the differences a bit too big. (On the other hand, I couldn't stand the Japanese dub for Fire Emblem Awakening, because it makes the already hard to take seriously female characters even more ridiculous).

They're pretty rantsy to me too, far too long too. It's okay man, I feel ya.

• Thumbs Up 2

I never meant the line to be an example for Tails' portrayal. It was just one that I remembered from playing the night before and I wanted to have at least something to illustrate my point (differences between English and Japanese dub).

I realize there is a need for making content from other parts of the world more accessible to different cultures, but with SLW I find the differences a bit too big. (On the other hand, I couldn't stand the Japanese dub for Fire Emblem Awakening, because it makes the already hard to take seriously female characters even more ridiculous).

Well, all games since Colours have been written in English then translated into Japanese, so really it was the Japanese version that removed jokes rather than the English version that added stuff.

Welcome to Sonic Retro, where one of the first responses to his video was something like "holy shit 40 mins? Downvoted like hell" :P

Can't comment anything on the video itself as I haven't watched it, just found the reaction very amusing over on that side.

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome to Sonic Retro, where one of the first responses to his video was something like "holy shit 40 mins? Downvoted like hell" tongue.png

Can't comment anything on the video itself as I haven't watched it, just found the reaction very amusing over on that side.

I saw that too, actually. I have to admit I felt kind of vindicated for my reaction after seeing that, haha.

And to answer an earlier question on why this guy bugs me - aside from his voice, it's how pretentious he comes across, as well as this bizarre tendency to call his rants "reviews." I won't go so far to say that he makes no good points, but it's difficult for me to really pay attention. I could get a much more concise expose on how Sonic should move/control right here at SSMB, anyway. I came for a review on the game, not a history lesson on his opinions.

But yeah, Sonic Lost World discussion. Pip pip.

I downloaded the 3DS demo recently to give it a second chance. I'm still upset over the overall lack of quality with it, and it's really a shame because Sonic otherwise controls very well in this game. The obvious kicker here is the level design and flow. It's pretty much Marble Zone: The Game.

I saw that too, actually. I have to admit I felt kind of vindicated for my reaction after seeing that, haha.

And to answer an earlier question on why this guy bugs me - aside from his voice, it's how pretentious he comes across, as well as this bizarre tendency to call his rants "reviews." I won't go so far to say that he makes no good points, but it's difficult for me to really pay attention. I could get a much more concise expose on how Sonic should move/control right here at SSMB, anyway. I came for a review on the game, not a history lesson on his opinions.

But yeah, Sonic Lost World discussion. Pip pip.

I downloaded the 3DS demo recently to give it a second chance. I'm still upset over the overall lack of quality with it, and it's really a shame because Sonic otherwise controls very well in this game. The obvious kicker here is the level design and flow. It's pretty much Marble Zone: The Game.

Really?  Out of all the levels, windy hill is actually a pretty good level when it comes to flow and from a speed runner perspective its actually the easiest one to keep the flow going. Are you taking all of the shortcuts and abusing parkour?

Well, all games since Colours have been written in English then translated into Japanese, so really it was the Japanese version that removed jokes rather than the English version that added stuff.

I realize that, but the difference here is, that Japan created new/differing dialogue for characters they already know about, trying to portray them in a way that is consistent with previous installments.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. I've always preferred the Japanese dub for the games and am happy when it's available. I'm just surprised how much the lines have been changed. Kinda feels like "how interesting" turning into "I'm the coolest" :b

Tbh its really weird that we have to decide on if we prefer bland, vapid characterization or over-the-top obnoxious characterization and there's no middle ground. There's a way to give the characters personality without them all having to be so much like how they were in Lost World.

I've grown a bit less fond of SLW's dialogue over time I guess, mostly because while the quality itself for the acting and writing is great, the way it handles all the characters just makes me uncomfortable. 

Tbh its really weird that we have to decide on if we prefer bland, vapid characterization or over-the-top obnoxious characterization and there's no middle ground. There's a way to give the characters personality without them all having to be so much like how they were in Lost World.

I've grown a bit less fond of SLW's dialogue over time I guess, mostly because while the quality itself for the acting and writing is great, the way it handles all the characters just makes me uncomfortable. 

I'm quite the opposite, at first I was like "Tails, stop being so whiney" but then, I didn't find it justified, I just grew accustomed to it. Which is bad, because if the character direction is "better" next game I may end up disliking the story.

Different strokes for different blokes; there really is no ideal way to write the cast because there are so many different interpretations and they're not always going to line up with what we prefer. This is also the first time we've had a consistent writing crew, so there's that.

I didn't really mind Lost World's dialogue all that much, I just hate how everything is so messily put together. It really hurts what's otherwise one of the better games characterization wise.