Awoo.

Lost World: Discussion, Impressions and Fan Reviews

Carbuncle

I find the gyro controls pretty terrible.  On Rocket it's mainly annoying because of your limited view.  It feels like an invisible force is constantly pushing against you when you try to just freely look around because you haven't hit the Colour Power under the right spot.

Eagle was just full of moments where I would go in one direction (usually up/down) and then would try to push in the opposite direction and Sonic just... wouldn't do it.  Unless Eagle is a gliding thing and you CAN'T go up again.  The way it handles didn't feel like that was the case.

Rhythm isn't gyro but was just full of moments where I would feel like I was just tapping at the notes as standard, no change in pace or anything and Sonic would just be like "nope can't hear you" and drop straight down to his death.

The gyro controls kind of feel like "push in this direction to simulate a d-pad doing the same" rather than being 1:1 like the 3DS special stages.

Does Sonic Team really not see all this potential that they're not tapping?

I seriously wonder if they have any idea why their games were considered consistently good for the first ten years of the series' run. I don't know how, but it almost seems like they just completely forgot entire gameplay mechanics as if they didn't exist.

I'll never understand it. Rather, I'll just hope someone in the game designer chair realizes this. :T

The most annoying thing is, all of the scripted ones still work fine if you manouver Sonic around the boosters. Try the second planet in Windy Hill 1. If you run past the speed boosters on the slopes there normally, it still plays exactly the same. But if you spindash past them, you actually take a teeny shortcut and end up right by the next  checkpoint.

Does Sonic Team really not see all this potential that they're not tapping?

... You know, I never thought I would say this, but I'm really beginning to wonder if they are really all that competent if they can't capitalize on something like this.

Sonic Team is incredibly inept in a lot of areas, you kind of have to accept that frustration at this point.

Sonic Team is incredibly inept in a lot of areas, you kind of have to accept that frustration at this point.

No.

We really shouldn't have to. Games are supposed to do the best they can with what they give. It's not rocket science, and it makes no sense why Sega can't do it. They're certainly capable, every Sonic game since Unleashed has been varying levels of good.

I'd rather Sonic just be sold off to another developer at this point. Or for the current Sonic Team to be given the boot and bring in the Unleashed team.

I've come to realize that its not Sonic that I dislike, its the people have been handling him for all of these years.

• Thumbs Up 1

No.

We really shouldn't have to. Games are supposed to do the best they can with what they give. It's not rocket science, and it makes no sense why Sega can't do it. They're certainly capable, every Sonic game since Unleashed has been varying levels of good.

You're right, we shouldn't have to. But I don't see any sign of Sonic Team ever changing.

I'd rather Sonic just be sold off to another developer at this point. Or for the current Sonic Team to be given the boot and bring in the Unleashed team.

I've come to realize that its not Sonic that I dislike, its the people have been handling him for all of these years.

I'm pretty sure that the Unleashed team is still around, it's just that the Colours team worked on Lost World.

I'd rather just the Colors team work on smaller titles, like... well, getting them to make the portables while Dimps steps aside would be a step up. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm pretty sure that the Unleashed team is still around, it's just that the Colours team worked on Lost World.

I know, and I fucking hate the Colors team and what they're doing with the series and want the Unleashed team. I feel the latter can at least make a product that's consistent with its direction, and make a game that gives a lot of replay value.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know, and I fucking hate the Colors team and what they're doing with the series and want the Unleashed team. I feel the latter can at least make a product that's consistent with its direction, and make a game that gives a lot of replay value.

I can't say such a heavy word as "hate" about them, but I do gotta say that they have a really strange perception on how to design a Sonic game.

... You know, I never thought I would say this, but I'm really beginning to wonder if they are really all that competent if they can't capitalize on something like this.

Thing is, they aren't really.

At least not this half of the development team.

I can't say such a heavy word as "hate" about them, but I do gotta say that they have a really strange perception on how to design a Sonic game.

Ok, maybe hate is too strong a word, but I really do not care for their designs on what a Sonic game should be. Didn't the Unleashed team give us Generations? I may have thought the game was unremarkable as hell, but I had fun playing through it at least. 

• Thumbs Up 4

That makes absolutely zero sense. What the Colors Team "did" to the series was make a game that took out the bad and kept the good, then the Unleashed team went on to make Gens, a game that also had issues with replay value, so I don't know how the Colors team is exclusively responsible for everything you hate about current Sonic. And consequently, I don't know why everyone now thinks the Unleashed team will magically fix what they think is wrong.

Things like automation and block platforming isn't only exclusive to them you know

• Thumbs Up 9

But if you're like me and others who don't consider "the bad" the worst shit ever, then basically what happened is the Colors team set us on an apathetic path full of ennui that the Unleashed team continued as a result of their outrageous success. Another game by the Unleashed team if they weren't dictated by the design decisions of Colors is something I'd really enjoy. But fuck, what are the chances of that at this point?

• Thumbs Up 6

That makes absolutely zero sense. What the Colors Team "did" to the series was make a game that took out the bad and kept the good, then the Unleashed team went on to make Gens, a game that also had issues with replay value, so I don't know how the Colors team is exclusively responsible for everything you hate about current Sonic. And consequently, I don't know why everyone now thinks the Unleashed team will magically fix what they think is wrong.

Read my above post brah.

Colors is a game that takes everything about Unleashed and waters it down to a game that's really unremarkable and colorful. That's about it. Generations has a problem with replay value too, but it at least improves on what Unleashed does(level design, aesthetics, etc. etc.). The Colors team gave us Lost World, a game that really is the exact opposite of what I want out of a Sonic game.

So yes, everything I really do not like about the current games are within two games made by them. And I never said the Unleashed team will be a magic fix button, all I said was that their products are more consistent and more in line of what I feel the series should expand on and I would really like to see them at the helm instead of what we're currently getting.

I don't particularly even dislike the colors team that much, colors was pretty good for what it was and this game is too and while I do have to admit there is quite a bit of untapped potential here (underutilization of parkour, color powers not being used to the full potential, boost pads in places where you wouldn't even need them, and slopes that while I don't have too much of a henging on, they could still be used for more) they still make good games regardless even though I do wish we had as much heart put into game as unleashed.

Just wanted to add something about the writing:

As much as the new writers have made some questionable characterisation and script decisions; I find it both hilarious and depressing to think that two guys who had absolutely no previous experience with, or understanding of the Sonic "universe", managed to extract more from the characters (even if misguided) than some of the writers who've apparently been with the franchise from its birth.

I mean, they really get Eggman. They've not missed a step with his characterisation. How can it be, that these two people, who knew nothing of Sonic before Colours, have managed to write Eggman better than pretty much any game before it (barring SA1 and SA2)...how?

Given their rate of improvement, its only a matter of time before they get Sonic and Tails, and only a little more time till they get the rest of the cast. It'll just take a little more research from them (which I hope they do), and their skill at writing a decent script will take them pretty far, when it concerns character development.

The real issue is, how long a leash are SEGA/Sonic Team keeping them on. If Pontac and Graff aren't included in the concept stage of the development process, we'll never have a good story. If just they're there to fill the gaps between levels, then nothing much will ever happen. But if they're part of the conceptualisation, if they're a major part of development and are instrumental in the creation of the game, then they can infuse a little extra into the stories. They can help mould the story into the fibres of the game, rather than throwing it over the top like a blanket. (I really hope that communicates the message, I'm trying to put across)

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm really tired of "good" games. Never has their been a 3D game that's been competent with few flaws to speak of, and it baffles me that Sonic Team still cannot seem to make such a game after 15 years of developing 3D titles. It really does make you question just what the hell goes on in the developer's chair.

Just wanted to add something about the writing:

As much as the new writers have made some questionable characterisation and script decisions; I find it both hilarious and depressing to think that two guys who had absolutely no previous experience with, or understanding of the Sonic "universe", managed to extract more from the characters (even if misguided) than some of the writers who've apparently been with the franchise from its birth.

I mean, they really get Eggman. They've not missed a step with his characterisation. How can it be, that these two people, who knew nothing of Sonic before Colours, have managed to write Eggman better than pretty much any game before it (barring SA1 and SA2)...how?

Given their rate of improvement, its only a matter of time before they get Sonic and Tails, and only a little more time till they get the rest of the cast. It'll just take a little more research from them (which I hope they do), and their skill at writing a decent script will take them pretty far, when it concerns character development.

The real issue is, how long a leash are SEGA/Sonic Team keeping them on. If Pontac and Graff aren't included in the concept stage of the development process, we'll never have a good story. If just they're there to fill the gaps between levels, then nothing much will ever happen. But if they're part of the conceptualisation, if they're a major part of development and are instrumental in the creation of the game, then they can infuse a little extra into the stories. They can help mould the story into the fibres of the game, rather than throwing it over the top like a blanket. (I really hope that communicates the message, I'm trying to put across)

Um....nobody was talking about the writers specifically :\

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm really tired of "good" games. Never has their been a 3D game that's been competent with few flaws to speak of, and it baffles me that Sonic Team still cannot seem to make such a game after 15 years of developing 3D titles. It really does make you question just what the hell goes on in the developer's chair.

I guess it just comes down to preference then, personally im pretty content with the games they have been doing as of late (probably the games I look forward to in most of the year) and have some legitimate fun working out mechanics, creating speed runs, having a couple of laughs by discovering glitches (which lost world in particular seems to have fewer than before) and going through the levels in different ways.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah yeah, well, I was catching up through the thread, and noticed a large section about the writing. 

I guess I got a little....carried away.

So I watched the SA2 cutscene about Tails back on page 40.

Amy's voice actor is so bad. Sonic just explodes and she goes "sonic"

Maybe Sonic Team needs to acquire a new B-Team to provide a fresh outlook on the series and its mechanics.  Set them to work on a portable spin-off to test the waters and see what they come up with.  Despite all the changes that occurred with Lost World, it really feels as if Sonic Team need a bit of new blood at this point.  Either that, or regain the old blood that seems to have spilled out somewhere.

But if you're like me and others who don't consider "the bad" the worst shit ever, then basically what happened is the Colors team set us on an apathetic path full of ennui that the Unleashed team continued as a result of their outrageous success. Another game by the Unleashed team if they weren't dictated by the design decisions of Colors is something I'd really enjoy. But fuck, what are the chances of that at this point?

The idea that Unleashed Team was "held back" (and I use that term extremely loosely) by the Colors team and therefore made lesser quality/exciting games is outright nonsensical when you consider that Colors reportedly started out as Generations Wii (and therefore probably based on it's foundation, the foundation of a game made by the "Unleashed Team") anyway and also due to the fact that im sure the main branch of S Team don't let the B-Team developer squad dictate the direction the gameplay goes in. So, I don't really buy that a hypothetical "Unleashed 2" was ever a thought that crossed their minds.

Colors is a game that takes everything about Unleashed and waters it down to a game that's really unremarkable and colorful. That's about it.

No, that's not "about it". The idea that the game was "watered down" is extremely debatable considering how shallow the gameplay as to begin with. The only way I could see that holding any water is in the 3D sections of the game. Everything else? Not really. The platforming (while not being everyone's cup of tea), generally larger level design, and power-ups at least added much needed depth to the game and promoted the idea of playing a level in different ways and such, something Unleashed struggled to do.

So yes, everything I really do not like about the current games are within two games made by them. And I never said the Unleashed team will be a magic fix button, all I said was that their products are more consistent and more in line of what I feel the series should expand on and I would really like to see them at the helm instead of what we're currently getting.

How exactly are they more consistent? The only two games they made (Unleashed and Gens) are vastly different in many ways, with only the modern gameplay being generally the same. Colors and Generations are not two wildly different products with design phloshphies on opposite ends of the spectrum, all three titles are cut from the same cloth and Colors didnt really do anything that's wildly different from is predecessor or successor.

• Thumbs Up 1

How exactly are they more consistent? The only two games they made (Unleashed and Gens) are vastly different in many ways, with only the modern gameplay being generally the same. Colors and Generations are not two wildly different products with design phloshphies on opposite ends of the spectrum, all three titles are cut from the same cloth and Colors didnt really do anything that's wildly different from is predecessor or successor.

I agree with this. Colors and Generations are more alike than anything else, and they started Colors AFTER Generations had already gotten into full swing. If anything, it seems like a change in development philosophy that might not be everyone's cup of tea, and that's not something new with this series either.

Being depressed is something I can understand. Acting like one half of Sonic Team is somehow corrupting the other half though? Nah. It's kind of clear that the guy at the helm is creating a shift in priorities.

• Thumbs Up 2