Awoo.

Lost World: Discussion, Impressions and Fan Reviews

Carbuncle

Unlike the first grinding act, you can see underwater volcanos in the background.  I thought it was surprising and a really cool touch to have the sombre trope crop up again in the grand finale - it's a shame the "Solitude" cut-scene comes up after rather than before the level.

Of course the level design is pants and way too unfairly trial and error, but I appreciated the trope and music getting a reprise.

Lava Mountain 3 really reminds me of Sonic Colours actually.  Bland 3D level design, all of the meat being in the 2D sections.  It's overall a boring final level though, but that's due to all sorts of reasons, both design and aesthetics.

I actually liked the 3d segments a whole lot in this one, its nowhere near colors level of design and I actually really liked that one segment where your parkouring over lava, feels so satisfying to pull it off and the 2d segments are pretty interesting too especially with the hidden pathways they put in but yeah despite this I will admit that this was probably the only level in this game (besides tropical coast act 2 and 4) that really felt like a mario level.

Oh, I should ask, did anyone else have this problem on the Wii U version's final boss where when you tried to homing attack the Eggman bot's arm you got stuck on his wristband thing? That happened to me like5 or so times and it pissed me off.

lrn2finalboss, Sonic Team

A similar thing happened to me the first time I played it, when I tried to homing attack each point along his arm individually. Although in this case, Sonic would fall shortly after getting stuck. Now I just hold the button down so Sonic hits the targets automatically, until Eggman's chops are in view.

Such a simple boss and yet it still has issues. =/

I don't understand the general dislike for LM3, it's a decently long (but not TO long) level with several bouts of 2D and 3D which also test the skills you've learned up to that point in the game, which is basically what I want out of a final Sonic level.

• Thumbs Up 6

My biggest problem is Zavok's section. The climb up to him isn't bad, but the game doesn't tell you AT ALL that you have to use the bounce bracelet to beat him, and you just end up dying  a whole bunch, doing that 2D climb over and over again, eventually getting  a game over and having to do the WHOLE ACT FROM THE BEGINNING. Atrocious.

My biggest problem is Zavok's section. The climb up to him isn't bad, but the game doesn't tell you AT ALL that you have to use the bounce bracelet to beat him, and you just end up dying  a whole bunch, doing that 2D climb over and over again, eventually getting  a game over and having to do the WHOLE ACT FROM THE BEGINNING. Atrocious.

Yeah, I don't know what the team was thinking, even I was confused as to how to do it even after using the bounce to hit the blocks at him especially since there is no health bar indicating he's even taking damage and honestly you need alot of hits just to kill him with them in the first place. 

Is the bounce even required of the player before that boss?  I don't feel like it is.

Only in frozen factory act 4 and to some extent, the inner tube levels in silent forest and windy hill.

I feel that had the bounce attack worked like in SA2 (as in keeping your momentum) and if it was actually useful throughout the game, it would have been easy to gauge the Zavok fight. You're basically supposed to use his own tactic against him, but it's not something that you're really aware you can do. There should have been other points in the climb up to him where you had to bounce on those same bricks.

• Thumbs Up 3

Only in frozen factory act 4 and to some extent, the inner tube levels in silent forest and windy hill.

Aha, fresh in my memory and ready for the boss then!

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, I should ask, did anyone else have this problem on the Wii U version's final boss where when you tried to homing attack the Eggman bot's arm you got stuck on his wristband thing? That happened to me like 5 or so times and it pissed me off.

lrn2finalboss, Sonic Team

That's only happened to me if you don't lock onto all parts of the arm, though it doesn't make much sense. They should've had it so if you don't lock onto all parts of the arm the machine slaps you away or something, rather than just randomly being stuck for a few seconds.

...Unless you mean you got stuck there permanently, in which case that's never happened to me, but I'm lucky when it comes to glitches.

I do wish the final boss was a lot more interesting though. I was having fun, but then the boss just...ended. Should've AT LEAST had an ending that's more cinematic, like the Werehog tearing apart the Dragoon, or the Final Colour Blaster, or something. That's what made it feel so incomplete, and that's not even getting into how few hits it takes to take it down. (Even if you don't bother homing attacking it while the mech is bouncing, it still only takes four hits to the head for you to win.)

The final boss was a disappointment, kind of. I thought it really looked the part, with the cape and that one freaky laser-eye, and while the setup was kinda weak I still felt that it felt awesome and epic. The music was really cool as well, It's probably my second-favorite final boss theme in the series right by Unleashed's Dark Gaia & Perfect Dark Gaia themes.

The boss itself is basically Nega Wisp/2 in terms of difficulty. I could literally make a side-by-side video comparing the two and match up every attack of his with the Nega Wisp's attacks, as WELL as the ending with the fireworks and the death animation. It's a bit too early for nostalgia for Colors, Sonic Team.

But when you fight Zavok, one of his attacks is stomping on the block and bringing it down to you to attack you.

But when you fight Zavok, one of his attacks is stomping on the block and bringing it down to you to attack you.

I fail to see how that's at all indicative of how I'm supposed to beat him, especially since, 1) I can just damage with him the homing attack, and 2) he has other attack methods, like the fireballs.

Wow those screenshots make Hidden World Zone 3 look like a really cool level.

Professional screenshots in a nutshell. They certainly did wonders for Frozen Factory Act 3 back when it was first revealed as well.

Professional screenshots in a nutshell. They certainly did wonders for Frozen Factory Act 3 back when it was first revealed as well.

I actually really like frozen factory 3, its one of my favorite levels and HW3 is pretty great too.

• Thumbs Up 2

All Lost World screenshots make it look a hell of a lot deeper and more intricate than it could hope to be.

All Lost World screenshots make it look a hell of a lot deeper and more intricate than it could hope to be.

Yeah…….this is kinda a thing with past Sonic games and hell, games in general when it comes to screenshots..so...

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah…….this is kinda a thing with past Sonic games and hell, games in general when it comes to screenshots..so...

Not denying that, but I think SLW takes it to a new level.

Wow those screenshots make Hidden World Zone 3 look like a really cool level.

Shame it isn't.  8I

I...I kind of liked it. 8I

I still don't know what Hidden World 4 even is. It's so freakin' abstract.

I think Colours was the worst in terms of the playable space being far less interesting than the sense of place the level provided.  Lost World at least had the benefit of there being nothing interesting going on in the background.

Unleashed and Generations are the only games that give the impression of us blasting through a snippet of a large, complex environment.  Colours and Lost World just feel like "levels" floating independently of a large, complex environment that surrounds them.

Even Gens and Unleashed fall apart in regard once you slow down.

windmill-isle-9.png

But what I mean is, Lost World's screenshots do a really good job of making you think there's a lot going on, when in reality everywhere is incredibly empty. Colours at least had the benefit of having busy backgrounds, even if the levels are bare.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see how "empty" it when plenty of the levels have a lot going in them like Silent Foresnt and Tropical Coast, if you mean like background stuff then fine (Silent Forest 2 being the exception due to the fact that all of it is eventually playable as you progress through the level), but the levels themselves? Not really.