Awoo.

Lost World: Discussion, Impressions and Fan Reviews

Carbuncle

Its like the wall-jump, where you push off the side of the wall, except while running. It's super satisfying and exhilarating, but thanks to how the action was terribly designed in how you did it, it only works at least 1/10th of the time.

Lost World's problems though are mostly in design. Besides that it just needs fine-tuning. I know that making it all momentum based would be very hard to do in development, but there already is momentum-based movement in the game, the snowball, the pinball, even Sonic spindashing are all done with momentum-based movement, there's nothing stopping them from tweaking that in future games.

Sonic Unleashed, Colours and Generations all worked differently in terms of mechanics. When I say "oh just fix these and it'll be fine!" I mean that if you ask me there really isn't much stopping them from making tweaks to the game mechanics and overhauling the design.

Design is not locked to a game engine, there's absolutely nothing about Lost World's game design that can't be rectified in another game. Tutorials, stage design and cheap deaths, all of its major failures are design-based. Parkour isn't horrible, just horribly explained, and Colours and Generations are proof that the game core game mechanics can be changed around to be made more comfortable. Colours added a double jump where Unleashed didn't have one at all, Generations and Colours both did Super Sonic totally differently too.

I think you're overestimating how much tweaking would be needed to make SLW a more comfortable experience. The core elements of momentum movement and acceleration already exist within the game and Sonic's whole movement doesn't need to be based off it. The fact that Sonic 4 Ep2 managed to heavily improve over Ep1 in terms of momentum too means it's not impossible using a very similar game engine - and in the end Sonic 4 Ep2's main faults were just stage design rather than the game mechanics which were pretty ok but people initially assumed were unsalvageable.

I know Sonic 4 and SLW are very different games but it's clear that they put way more effort into SLW. Do you have any examples of mechanics that you think are total dead-ends or why they are? (besides Wisps they can go)

How far does design go before you're overhauling everything? Lost World has the right ideas done badly. And I don't want to see those things return without them being totally reworked. The term "momentum" is really starting to bug me too. It's not a specific feature so much as it is something that would apply to all character movement within the game. That would require big changes across the board, or else you'd end up with something like Gens 3DS Dreamcast/Modern era where the level design doesn't reflect what the game is actually built for.

I also don't quite get why you're talking about engines. A lack of a tutorial is a problem that is totally unrelated and easily fixed, as you did say. The parkour though is something I would say is horrible and is in serious need of a reworking. It's very, very complicated. Even with a proper explanation and understanding, it takes a lot to actually get it to work properly. It's not outside of the realms of the engine though. On top of the parkour, we have other big issues:

Level design? Change it. Controls? Change them. Movement and character behaviour in general? Change it. You would end up with something that's totally different.

Basically, my point is still as it was before. Lost World has the right ideas (mostly...) and pulls them off pretty damn poorly. In order to make Lost World a more palatable experience, you'd pretty much have to change everything. And even if that just means design, it would still be bigger changes than just fixing things. That's what I mean by the problems being deep routed.

Hardly any of the mechanics are duff and need scrapping entirely though. There's the "crouch and roll" for safe movement on slime/sand/ice, the kick attack and charged homing for padding out combat that would have actually been fantastic without it and finally the planetoid gimmick that Sonic Team didn't have a clue what they were trying to with. Nothing that goes into the engine. Just a simple nip and tuck.

• Thumbs Up 3

Its like the wall-jump, where you push off the side of the wall, except while running. It's super satisfying and exhilarating, but thanks to how the action was terribly designed in how you did it, it only works at least 1/10th of the time.

Its not that hard to pull off, heck even pushing it diagnolly in the opposite direction works, just don't hold it upward. Also, I can see why they wouldn't make that jump a standard jump while wall running since I can see it leading to a good amount of mishaps if your just trying to jump off.

The parkour honestly never seemed all that complex to me. More complicated than most Sonic controls, but...that's not really saying much. I dunno.

The one thing that bugs me is what Azoo mentioned, accidentally doing a little jump instead of the actual wall jump. It's particularly annoying in 2D; if the walls are close together he automatically wall jumps when you tap the jump button, but if the walls are far enough together he'll do the little spin jump instead. It's odd, especially since I swear I can't remember any situation where I'd want to do the little jump...

• Thumbs Up 2

The one thing that bugs me is what Azoo mentioned, accidentally doing a little jump instead of the actual wall jump. It's particularly annoying in 2D; if the walls are close together he automatically wall jumps when you tap the jump button, but if the walls are far enough together he'll do the little spin jump instead. It's odd, especially since I swear I can't remember any situation where I'd want to do the little jump...

This is where the quickstep would be a nice thing that you can do on the side. One of the buttons "jumps" you up the wall a little bit, the other one darts you a bit down. I guess which button doing what would depend on if Sonic's running on a wall from the left of him or from the right of him.

The entirety of Lost World's gameplay could use some work, but I don't really want them to abandon (most of) the ideas. I do think Sonic's movement should be accelerative and have an SA-esque feel, but at the same time I think there should be a run button for going slightly faster than that, like an Adv2-boost with looser steering (broken record Zoo I know).There's no detraction there, just addition, and I think that would work best.

And there shouldn't be so much seperation between crouching/somersaulting and Spindashing/rolling. Why not just put crouching/rolling on the trigger, the Spin Dash hot button on X like it usually was (with crouch+jumptap as the alternative), and just make the somersault be part of the roll, as in like its just the one at lowest speed but can pick up speed from there into a regular roll? Taking these redundant abilities and putting them together with the more purposeful ones just seems like the better idea.

I dunno, just throwing ideas around as always.

Really, I think Blue Blood and SuperLink are both hitting the right notes. It's gonna take an overall reworking in every part of the gameplay to make it the best it could be, but at the same time it's not too terribly far off. The gameplay to SLW is basically the video game equivalent of "close, but no cigar".

• Thumbs Up 1

Regardless of how much needs to change in terms of game design, I think they're very much on the right track on a conceptual level at the very least, which is more than I can say for past 3D Sonic games. They have the right idea, but don't seem to have the technical or design talent needed to pull it off first try (evidently).

Whether I agree or not with how much exactly needs to be changed doesn't really matter because it's not going to affect what Sonic Team do or don't do next time. I think we can both agree what Sonic Lost World isn't and what it needs to be fundamentally. What I hope they do is pay close attention to the criticisms and..

Hire some people who understand game design.

• Thumbs Up 5

• 2 weeks later...

I watch the story and gameplay and this is what I think:

-Sonic Galaxy. i know people say it alot and is tired of this but i have Mario Galaxy series and it's the same world layout except Sonic became a shinobi

-speaking of shinobi, Sonic, you can walk on walls, hang on ledges??!!! you are very amazing!

-Sonic makes me laugh again like Sonic colors.

-the worlds are colorful and fun

-the wisps... were random but they fit because this is a happy world and the wisps are colorful and happy

-Tails is getting out of his shell, i mean look at the fangs! Confident Tails, I am happy with

-Knuckles and Amy.... werent needed... they did nothing. but if Amy was like this in all the games, Id love her alot. Knuckles.... man bro you did nothing! you were just as relevent as the tree in the background. Same with Amy

-i like the deadly 6... except for the girl.... oh boy

-I was sad when Sonic lost his friend

-Tails was awesome, he was confident that he got himself out of being a robot. I want to see Tails to this more it brought out his smartness

-Gameplay looked intresting

all and all, I want to play but i dont have 3DS

Do you have a Wii U?

no i don't but I want to get one, I have a wii but they are not making games for it 

Hmm since I started talking about it in the Status Bar I guess I'll expand my thoughts here somewhat because I don't wanna send mixed messages I guess. Also keep in mind that I haven't even finished the game (I doubt my opinion will change when I do), I haven't touched it for a while due to the shock of the disappointment!! Before release people might remember me as one of the people who was quickest to defend the direction they were going and stuff because somehow I was convinced it'd be great .. and while I'll probably still defend the direction, yeah just read on I guess.

As mentioned I have probably never been so disappointed in a Sonic game before, I feel like this is my first real experience of the Sonic Cycle, especially since journalists hyped it up so much! My own fault for falling for it, I know, but why did people who had played it make it sound like Sonic was saved? Christ.

But Lost World isn't really a bad game, it has tons of great ideas hidden behind stupid design choices and shameless imitations. Yeah, while I initially thought "hey it's not copying Mario-" yeah it is, playing it made that much more obvious, Sonic tried too hard to copy Mario and didn't even do it right (mostly the gravity thing, but also level tropes in general).

There are soo many ways Lost World could be easily improved and turned into something great, which is why I will continue to defend the direction it's going in unless the next game turns out even worse (fingers crossed)

The parkour mechanic feels LOVELY when it's done right. The hugest problem with it and every other new mechanic is that the game does a HORRIBLE job of explaining how to do it, how everything works, the tutorial buttons are so out of the way that you have to STOP DEAD and check the Gamepad incase it tells you anything useful (and usually it doesn't). When you introduce a fresh mechanic that isn't immediately obvious to use by randomly playing with the controller (we don't live in an era where you can do everything with 2 buttons anymore, Lost World least of all) a good, comfortable but not too intrusive or patronising tutorial is paramount, that's game design 101 jfc and Sonic Team completely failed at game design 101 congrats Sonic Team. I don't know which part of them decided that just because we don't need a jumping tutorial must also mean we don't want a tutorial for how to run and jump across walls suspended above death pits.

Another thing, lives. Times have changed since the NES days where dying in one hit was normal. If a game is going to throw random cheap events at you that kill you and you have no idea they're coming until you're already dead, said game should probably not have a life system at all. Case in point, Rayman Origins and Legends. Has a lot of trial and error based gameplay but does so with finesse because you have infinite lives and you can retry the bit as many times as you like very quickly, seamlessly! For some reason, Sonic Team decided to make it easier than ever to suffer a bottomless pit death AND make lives harder to come by than previous Sonic games. Not sure why they thought this was "fun"! Another important point to game design, enjoyability is paramount, challenge and frustration do not go hand in hand, if your game design is more frustrating than the gained reward can suppress then you fucked up.

But man positives, Sonic Lost World has some really cool mechanics! A run button is a great idea, a spindash button is a great idea, and parkour is a fantastic idea! It also feels fantastic when it works. The problem is that running doesn't build momentum, and platforming sections can be very difficult when you can barely jump far at all from a standing position and holding the run button to do a running jump barely ever does anything. If it were up to me, I'd say ditch the gravity gimmick and have Sonic's movement heavily based on gaining momentum like the "classics". Spindash doesn't even do it that badly, when you jump in spindash you keep going, you can go pretty far! That's exactly what I want to see, but I want to feel like going down hills makes me go faster and I need speed to get up hills, and I want running to not slow down every time I turn around. If I'm Sonic and I'm parkouring around the universe I want to feel like the most free motherfucker in all of freedom. I CAN RUN SO FAST, AND RUN OVER ALL THESE WALLS, EFFORTLESSLY, AND IT FEELS AMAZING. That's what Sonic Lost World /could/ be.

And speaking of freedom and turning that brings me clumsily to my last point.

Don't make a game that supposedly emphasises multiple routes and explorability if the camera is only ever facing forward. Because jesus christ some of these stages have genuinely interesting multi-layered designs and I /want/ to explore it all but the game won't let me look backwards!!

See what I mean? There is all the potential in SLW's mechanics and formula for a fantastic game, the perfect 3D Sonic even, but dumb design, bottomless pits, Marioing everywhere, too much insta-death, no rewarding feeling of speed, and freedom-restricting camera, stop Lost World from being a World full of Lost things to find and instead makes it a World that you think should get Lost. (because you would rather use these mechanics someplace else.)

Sonic isn't Mario, floating above bottomless pits game design doesn't work hand in hand with speed, and neither do enemies that kill you in one hit out of nowhere work hand in hand with having lives. Make multilayered explorable stages without bottomless pits, just bottom layers and higher layers like Sonic 1-3. Lovely. Beautiful. It's not /that/ hard to avoid bottomless pits in stage design.

Fix pls. Make rly good game next. I know u can do it.

This is pretty much my impression on the game for the most part, having just finished it (despite a few disagreements).

Hopefully the next game pulls another Colors 2.0 in terms of reception and quality. :3

I swear, I'm the /only/ one who absolutely loves this game.

By no means are you alone.wink.png

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guess Who of Sonic Retro has posted the site's Retro Review of the 3DS version (to my knowledge there's not a review of the Wii U version yet There is a review of the Wii U version posted back in November by GeneHF. The timegap between the Wii U and 3DS reviews is actually acknowledged in the 3DS review. I didn't find it in their news archives though.).

It's...not pretty. It's also twice as long as GeneHF Wii U ver. review, so into the spoiler tags it goes.

"God, where do I even begin?

Sonic Lost World for the 3DS is the latest in a recent trend of handheld Sonic games – while there was a long string of completely original Sonic titles, from many of the Game Gear titles all the way to the Advance and Rush series, the last couple have instead been downscaled versions of their console counterparts: Colors, Generations, and now Lost World. Why this is the case, I don’t know, because it will invariably result in comparing these games to their consistently better big brothers, and in every case they fall short, including this one. Which is tremendously worrisome, considering the Wii U version of the game didn’t exactly set a high bar to begin with.

From a mechanical standpoint, Sonic Lost World comes off as confused. It’s almost like a Mario game that’s trying oh so very hard to be a Sonic game. The controls factor into this feeling heavily; like a Mario game, there’s no acceleration or momentum, you just hold a direction and get instantly propelled forward in that direction, and if you want to go faster, you hold a run button. That’s not to say there aren’t Sonic-y elements, of course. You can spin dash with the X or Y button, which earns you a good bit of speed but at the cost of awkward handling. While jumping, there’s a variety of context-sensitive actions you can do. If there’s no enemies nearby after jumping, pressing jump again double-jumps a la Sonic Colors, and pressing the spin dash button does a stomp. If there’s enemies to lock-on to, however, you’ll get the traditional homing attack by pressing jump again, or a new “somersault” move if you press the spin dash button, which stuns enemies. Somehow.

There is one significant change to the homing attack in this game that I should mention. Sonic will now automatically homing attack groups of enemies, so you only have to press the button once and he will attack several enemies in a row. This sounds like it might be useful in theory, but in practice it’s terrifying. More than once I’ve tried to attack an enemy, and sure, Sonic will attack it, but then he’ll also fly ten yards backwards to attack an enemy offscreen, sometimes across a pit. Gross! Ultimately it’s an addition that, even if it did work less unpredictably, feels kind of useless. There was no harm in just pressing the homing attack button multiple times to hit multiple enemies before.

The somersault also seems a bit tacked-on, and sometimes it’s not entirely clear when you should use it. Mostly you want to use it on enemies that are otherwise protected from attack; for instance, using it on an Orbinaut will cause the Orbinaut to drop its spiky orbs, allowing you to homing attack it without getting hit. It doesn’t really adds any strategy or thought to combat, though, it’s just an extra step and a waste of time.

Also returning from Sonic Colors are Wisps. I really enjoyed Wisps in Colors, personally. I thought it was the first time in a while Sonic Team came up with a new game gimmick that actually meshed well with Sonic gameplay and kept up the pace and flow. In the 3DS version, the only returning Wisps are Laser, Drill, and Burst (from the DS version of Colors). The rest – Lightning, Quake, and Asteroid – are all new. Lightning stands out as the least offensive of the bunch, allowing you to zap around and move between “lightning rods” to access different routes. The other two are frankly painful. Asteroid basically lets you make tremendously long jumps and sort of hover for a bit, the problem being that the jump is disgustingly floaty and it can be difficult to judge where you will land, even with stereoscopic 3D on. Quake relies on the 3DS’s gyroscope controls, requiring you to tilt and turn the 3DS to aim Sonic’s trajectory as he rolls through obstacles. This controls exactly as well as it sounds. The worst part is, it’s not even the most awful use of 3DS gyroscope controls in the game.

One big new feature Sega made a point of hyping up before the game’s release is the new “parkour” system. In truth, this system isn’t terribly new to the Sonic franchise. Shadow the Hedgehog, of all games, implemented the main part of this feature years ago, allowing you to run across walls and jump across to the opposite wall to cross gaps or avoid obstacles below. Lost World takes it one slight step further, allowing you to run up a wall so that you can reach spaces you may not be able to simply jump to. Funnily enough, as you might already notice from the description, this works and controls almost exactly like the cat suit in Super Mario 3D World, which makes me curious exactly how much influence Nintendo had on this game. (Apparently not enough, because 3D World is far and away the better game.) Overall, the implementation of this whole mechanic is… okay. It works! It’s not fundamentally broken! There’s really not much else to say about it, it’s not particularly bothersome or particularly enjoyable.

So the core mechanics of the game are reasonably sound, if not particularly compelling, but that’s not enough to immediately discourage anyone from giving it a try. But, well, you might notice there was a pretty substantial gap between the Retro Review of the Wii U version and this one. The reason is because this game is so unbearable it took me this long to force myself to finish it, and primarily at fault is the level design. The game starts out well enough, with Windy Hill serving as a typical, simple level with open spaces and plenty of tutorial spots to help you learn the ropes. The problem is that once you leave Windy Hill, everything goes to hell. Desert Ruins starts off the Cirque du Merde by introducing the Asteroid wisp and asking you to cross giant, empty chasms with it’s floaty-ass jump and immense momentum. Yes, momentum! They decided it was a good idea to make the Asteroid Wisp incredibly difficult to stop, so you will frequently barely make a jump only to fall off the platform a second later because the god damned thing just keeps moving. And good luck trying to change directions with it.

One wonderful (did I say wonderful, whoops, meant “miserable”, the keys are like right next to each other) mechanic Sega likes to reuse in Lost World’s levels is pushing balls around. One act of Tropical Coast involves filling up a room with water to raise a platform higher and higher by going to separate areas and pushing fruit onto switches to raise the water level. Over and over and over. Because, really, that’s what people enjoy about Sonic games, the parts where you slowly push stuff around to get it onto a switch. This mechanic is brought to its most absurd extremes in Frozen Factory, where an entire fifteen-minute act consists of doing this, the second half of which has you followed by a giant sentient snowball that you can’t kill, only stun, and that will freeze you if you touch it and bring the ball you’re pushing back to its starting point if it comes in contact. Someone was paid to create this. Someone else was paid to go “yes, that’s a good idea, ship it.” Consider this for a moment.

At the end of each “zone”, you of course fight a boss, one of the Deadly Six. I don’t think I have anything worth saying about these. They’re simple and boring and typically have you use some Wisp power against them. The last world, Lava Mountain, is basically a giant boss rush where you fight all these dudes again with nothing in between. Whatever. Utterly forgettable.

This game also has special stages, because for some reason (with the sole exception of Sonic Heroes) Sonic Team has decided special stages are only a thing in their handheld titles. In this instance, they are a terrible, terrible thing. The basic concept is that Sonic is floating in what I assume is space, and you have to fly him around the great empty void collecting spheres and avoiding obstacles. Sounds simple enough, right? But, no, no, no, this is Sonic Team, we have a very strict rule against making sense. Let’s make Sonic controlled by the 3DS gyroscope. And let’s make the sensitivity so low you have to play in a god damned swivel chair to actually move around. (I’m not exaggerating. I literally sat in a swivel chair and spun around so I could navigate these.) I honestly don’t know why they even bothered with special stages when they could’ve just done without them.

So that’s the game, basically. Let’s talk graphics! I’ll admit, the game actually looks pretty decent for a 3DS game. There’s antialiasing when you have 3D off, and with it on there’s a nice sense of depth to the environment. Either way, you’re playing with a fairly stable thirty frames per second. You can see how they cheated just a bit in some cases – rings are sprites, for instance, not 3D models – but you’ll hardly notice in normal gameplay. The soundtrack is done almost entirely by Tomoya Ohtani, director on Sonic 2006 and Sonic Unleashed and composer on Sonic Colors. Ohtani possesses incredible talent, but I can’t help but feel like he was stretched a bit thin on this soundtrack. There’s some standout tracks, absolutely, but a bit too many unmemorable ones. Sonic soundtracks are great for their variety – some tracks from Wave Master’s other greats like Fumie Kumatani or Kenichi Tokoi would’ve really helped liven it up.

So, Sonic Lost World for the 3DS isn’t great. It’s mediocre even at its high points, and straight-up garbage at its worst. I know, I know, oh, look at me, I’m reviewing a Sonic game and calling it trash, what an incredibly new and interesting viewpoint. But honestly, it’s kind of painful for me. Sonic Colors was so good! It was like a magical wave of purity that washed over me and gave me hope and made me believe in love again. Or at the very least, it was a flawed but still incredibly fun game with a lot of new ideas and great presentation. Generations was a very strong follow-up that made huge improvements on Unleashed’s gameplay with tighter controls and more elaborate (albeit less challenging) level design. But Lost World? Lost World just abandons all the progress the series has made over the past few years and makes changes for the sake of making changes. It’s starting to feel like we’re back to that aimless Sonic Team of years gone by that doesn’t really know how to make a great Sonic game and, even worse, doesn’t really care that much. And I think that’s the most worrying, but also most important thing to take away from Sonic Lost World. Here’s to hoping there’s someone over there that can see what a misstep they’ve taken and can get the series back on track."

Superlink's post is mostly what I'm getting from the Wii U version so far, really.

So far, as I suspected, the core gameplay faults seem to rest more with the sheer unrefined technical state of the mechanics mixed in with some very odd design decisions. It's fairly obvious even at this point that the game has some fantastic core gameplay ideas that could go above and beyond the Boost games if given the chance, but it's restricted by a studio who doesn't seem to have a damn clue what they're doing, for whatever reason, which is a huge shame. I like it so far, but it feels like a game with a lot of potential squandered by an incompetent studio.

Also, hilariously, it's incredibly easy to get a lot of lives by just playing the NiGHTS and Yoshi levels (I somehow managed to get the Deadly Six Edition despite not pre-ordering, weird), and the re-implementation of the 100-ring lives makes in-level life gain rather easy even early on, they clearly didn't design the ring distribution with that mechanic in mind. Though considering what I've heard of the difficulty in later levels, this is probably a blessing.
  • Thumbs Up 2

The levels later on actually aren't that bad, just make sure to be careful when proceeding through certain parts of stages and as a tip for a certain ice stage, if you don't hold the run button you can do normal jumps (without slowing down too).

Actually while I have access to this place I'm gonna take the time to post my final impressions on the game, which I completed both versions of due to lack of laptop boredom. While initially I believed the 3DS version to be superior, that's been flipped somewhat.

My view hasn't changed too much, but after cooling off and giving the game its own time, I actually found the Wii U version pretty enjoyable in the end. The patch helped - tons, because by far one of my biggest frustrations with the game was getting a Game Over on a level with stupidly dumb bottomless pit placement, the platforming in 2D sections is far too sluggish and I stick by my idea that lives should be scrapped completely in a game so reliant on trial and error, dying a lot is fine when you have regular checkpoints (which is rarely a problem) and infinite lives (which isn't a big problem anymore). I've also gotta say that SLW is far more fun to play as an A to B game, just run forward through the level in any way you choose, and that's pretty fun. Unfortunately however the game actually seems to punish you for backtracking or exploring, which is ironic considering SEGA apparently wanted to have the world more explorable.. the camera and controls just don't make for that kind of gameplay and it makes the game infinitely more frustrating when you try to take your time and explore, ironically the game is more fun if you just go forwards all the time your own way. A shame.

Next is the gravity and spherical nature of stages. Seems harmless right? Thing is, in Mario Galaxy it served a point by allowing the player to play with the gravity physics and the way this affected platforming and flying through space. On SLW.. it's just boring, static, constantly sucking you down, absolutely no fun physics at play here, it's literally pointless. In some situations it removes the problem of bottomless pits, but if that was the goal why are bottomless pits by far the biggest death-causer in the game? It feels like they were trying to do what Mario Galaxy did whilst managing to have no idea from a design perspective why Galaxy did it in the first place. It effects the gameplay in no way at all besides more camera problems and headaches.

To add to my notion that the main flaw in the gameplay is its dumb cheap difficulty (and slowness), I found myself really enjoying myself when I finally unlocked Super Sonic. I sped through every stage without worrying about exploring, Super Sonic is really fast, he can jump high, playing as him is just darn rewarding compared to the rest of the game, I can't believe I'm saying this but the game is more fun when a lot of the challenge is just outright removed. Also the slowness doesn't really help you avoid dying, it just makes jumping over the bottomless pits way too hard and sluggish (something else Super Sonic is way better at).

Bringing me onto the 3DS version I kinda hated it in the end. What started out really promising with good fair stage design and tutorials and explained smooth gameplay just turned into FLOATING PLATFORMS FEAT. POINTLESS WISPS: THE GAME. Seriously, the later level designs are just ridiculous, labyrinths with no sense of direction or flow, repeated gimmicks that make you feel you're replaying the same section over and over, stupid platform placement over bottomless pits.. again it'd be far worse if lives were hard to come by in this version.

In the end, while the Wii U version is fuckin stupid for doing a terrible job of explaining how to actually play the game and for occasional clunky controls, getting used to it gives you the most rewarding experience as the levels stay at least decent throughout the game, with some clever bits here and there. Once you get past the first world or so on the 3DS version, the good bits just get rarer and rarer until the whole thing is plain frustrating to get through. Not even Super Sonic could make those later levels enjoyable for me. When I fancy replaying SLW for fun (which I imagine I will eventually) I'll be going with the Wii U version and not touching the 3DS version.

Also after collecting my opinions I watched Johnny Vs Sonic Lost World and found myself gobsmacked by how similar his views are to mine, and he puts his thoughts into words well. I recommend it.

My 2 cents. You can keep them actually, I don't know why I have these cents in the first place I'm British.

(I somehow managed to get the Deadly Six Edition despite not pre-ordering, weird)

It's not surprising, honestly, the game sold awfully, so it's still in its first run.

Heck, the "limited" edition of S&AR Transformed is still the only one I see in stores, one year after the game's release.

Lost World is comparable to a surf and/or a rollercoaster. Somedays you'll see utmost positivity for it, somedays utter detestment of it, and of course the majority springs, curves, shoots, loops, quivers, and does the most jazz in between, mixed and whatnot.

SPeaking of which, I should probably crank out my thoughts into review sometime as well.

• 2 weeks later...

My 100% completely honest opinion of Sonic Lost World is that it is a great, fun game and that it continues the fun, addicting gameplay started in Sonic Colors. The graphics are amazing, the worlds lush and full of detail, the music (as always) is really well composed and catchy and the gameplay is fast paced and fun, and doesn't feel rushed. Some downfalls, though, are that I do feel that the game has a little TOO much in common with Super Mario Galaxy. It still has just enough to call it a Sonic game, but the is isn't too far from becoming a Mario game with Sonic characters, something that Sonic Colors didn't have a problem with. Even the music has an arguably more Mario-like flair to it (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). It's a good game, but I just hope that Sonic doesn't start to lose his identity with each new game. Sonic Lost World still has just enough to call it a Sonic game, but it doesn't feel like a Sonic game in some aspects. I think if they stick to the formula from Colors, more or less, and keep away from too much Nintendo/Mario influence, Sonic will finally be on top in his own right for the modern generation and fans will finally be able to reach a consensus on the Sonic series being back "On top".

The graphics are amazing, the worlds lush and full of detail.

It's FPS is great, but the worlds are anything but detailed. The art style is simplistic, and that's okay. Otherwise I agree with you.