Awoo.

Lost World: Discussion, Impressions and Fan Reviews

Carbuncle

I initially tacked this on to my earlier post, but I feel this probably should stand alone with a Spoiler alert.

That said, I'm fairly impressed. The characterization has definitely gotten better since Colors. I love the way they elaborated on the brotherly bond between Sonic and Tails and showed how they can also get on one another's nerves while being quick to help & make up with one another. The bit of tension between the two when Sonic decided to work with Eggman was palpable; Tails sounded almost outright insulted, if not hurt when Sonic tried to give his reasoning behind it.

As others stated before, it was actually refreshing to see a consequence for Sonic and his brash attitude. His break first, ask questions later had him more than reluctantly willing to aid Eggman out of a mixed sense of honor/guilt. It's definitely significant as a character flaw as you could see he still hadn't full learned his lesson when he was prepared to charge that rigged critter capsule when Tails got caught instead.

Definitely one major and interesting flaw to add to the characterization reqs for any fan fic writer worth their salt. biggrin.png

Tails on his own and in dialogue with Sonic was an eye opener. I got the sense that they were trying to write him as the kid genius that he is, with definite emphasis on the immature parts as well. The little guy has a mouth on him, which I have no doubt he developing as a result of hanging with Mr. Blue Smartass himself. And just like him, he's also gotten pretty boastful of his own specialized skills to the point where even Sonic has to kind of zone him out. 

The only thing preventing the both of them from being full of themselves is that they do have the ability to back it up. Tails pretty much pulled a fucking Macgyver on the Deadly Six with a sandwich toothpick of all things. If that's not a crowning moment of awesome for him, then I don't know what is.

Eggman was alright to me. While he hasn't fully gotten past using the Sealed Evil/Goon of the Week, he was both sly and cunning enough to play both Sonic and the Zeti along while improvising with his initial misguided plan. That and some of the lines he says in anger over the latter's betrayal pretty much cranked the following video to more awesome status for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpM55HAYjpc

His "fake" death/sacrifice was also a bit telling for me. For how much and long Eggman has had his plans foiled by Sonic, you'd think he wouldn't bat an eye at the prospect of his nemesis being fried to a crisp from falling into a bubbling pit of lava. But the fact that he even rescued him seems to suggest that such a win would be cheap and unsatisfying to him, as he would want to beat him at his best.

The Deadly Six were alright. I'd heard a lot of folks feel that they were just some one dimensional stereotypes thrown together to make an antagonist or two. I'd somewhat concede on a few of them; Zor & Zeena definitely seem to fit the bill of emo and mean bitch to a T. They didn't seem to get much time anyway in cutscenes, so I can't really get much more out of that.

Out of all of them, Zavok seemed to have the most personality. He took advantage of what Eggman had taught them, and like him was willing to improvise by using Tails when their plan to capture Sonic went sour. He also had a dark side to him when he taunted Sonic about his continuous failure to save his friends throughout the game.

The one thing that really irks me about the Six is the fact that they all seemed to disappear right before the Final Fight with Eggman. Seems like a pretty big plot hole, but I would think they survived to fight another day/get revenge on Eggman & Sonic. But with SEGA's history of one shot villains in Sonic titles, that might just be some wistful thinking on my part.

Finally, Amy and Knuckles.  I already mentioned that Knuckles was pretty much a buttmonkey. He pretty much just stood there while things went to shit, acting like a decoration. Pretty sad considering this is a character that has given Sonic a run for his rings from simply being misinformed about a situation.

Amy on the other hand, was quite the opposite. For as short and few as her scenes were, she was actually sweet, caring, and kind towards others while keeping posted with Sonic via the Miles Electric. I don't think I've seen her so warm like this since her appearance in Sonic Adventure, where her main goal was to protect Birdy.

If nothing else, I think she was useful for the fact that she was relaying events as they happened down below to Sonic and Tails the best she could. I also think that her "final" speech was awesome in how short & direct it was.

And for what it was when the world was going to shit, her inspirational final speech had heart in it, even if it was cut off. Right in the feels.

Overall, I guess you can tell I'm happy with the way the characterization has improved for most of the main cast.

• Thumbs Up 7

And I don't really understand the dislike for Tails, this is probably the only Modern game where he comes as an actual Kid Genius, instead of just exposition:

The reason he didn't jump into the fray at the beginning is because he knew it was a bad idea and already warned Sonic about it. He tried to lay low so he could think of something, but was indirectly shot at.

Aside from that, he finally shows some independence that he's been lacking for a long time, in addition to showing just how important he sees himself towards Sonic.

I guess its just a case of Characterization Marches On.

• Thumbs Up 3

I finished the game this afternoon and will probably pick it up when I come back from my holidays next week. So as a lot of people have been saying I think the story and graphics are fantastic, I really enjoyed the connection being established between Sonic and Tails again and it's gd to see as well. I think the only gripe I have with the game is sometimes I feel like it is interfering, like you want to jump and you run up a wall. Some of the levels are frustrating and can easily annoy people. I was thinking at Summer of Sonic that this game would divide opinion between both fans and critics as to the gameplay but fair play to SEGA and Sonic Team for being brave and taking a risk. I would advise Keep It Simple with both moves and gameplay and build on this for the future, but would recommend it to friends to give it a go.

- Regular 3D levels is pretty good

- The actual story is terrible though. I get that it's supposed to be for kids, but the dialog is as bad as fan-fiction written by a 12 year old.

Could you perhaps elaborate on this cause from what I watched, I don't see the dialogue sounding like a bad fanfiction. SHTH still wins that medal. I mean sure you could argue the deadly six's dialogue, but the interaction between Sonic,Tails and Eggman actually felt believable in so many areas. Much better and more genuine than Unleashed and Colors I'd say.
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm going to post my full impressions later, but as much as I did enjoy the Deadly Six as individual characters in the cutscenes...

... what exactly makes them "deadly"? You know, where did they come from and what do they do? In one cutscene we see them take over Eggman's army, but for the rest of the game they just chill in the base, while one of them go to fight Sonic with no demonstration of their supposed power. It's all as shallow as it possibly could be. We really should have learnt more about the Lost Hex and how Eggman found the Zeti and we should have seen their power both in cutscenes and gameplay.

EDIT: Uh, I just realised something. If you don't read material from outside the game, then you won't ever learn all of the names of the Deadly Six, and the term Zeti will also be somewhat confusing. Zor for example isn't given any sort of introduction. He just appears in the an SF cutscene. With no battle intro, his name is only mentioned once in passing by Zavok in SR4. Zeena's name is never given.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 4

This is sonic team we are talking about, the giver of lost potential in almost every game been made.

• Thumbs Up 1

haha, and before you know it they bring it back and don't explain much again.

*lookingatchuwisps*

This is sonic team we are talking about, the giver of lost potential in almost every game been made.

As long as we're not optimistic, it's not gonna happen.

They clearly didn't really care about the story. I fail to see how that's a good story.

The subplots were thrown in a thrash can with no resolve. It's like Shadow android subplot in Shth - it never really got a development beyond the fact that there were Shadow androids.

It's Colors 2.0 all over again. The writers should definitely be fired. I bet an average Sonic fan can make a better story with more characters, problems and events working much better than that tiny story with few characters in SLoW.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's Colors 2.0 all over again. The writers should definitely be fired. I bet an average Sonic fan can make a better story with more characters, problems and events working much better than that tiny story with few characters in SLoW.

How does more characters make a better story? More events and problems don't help either. THAT is a plot made of sub-plots. 

There should be one overarching problems and the different consequences and how the characters react and it should build up and the ending should be rewarding/satisfying.

It's Colors 2.0 all over again. The writers should definitely be fired.

Fired and then what? We get stories that are similar to Colours and Lost World, but with an even worse script? Cause I'm betting that's what would happen.

I bet an average Sonic fan can make a better story with more characters, problems and events working much better than that tiny story with few characters in SLoW.

You seem to think that more = better. But then, this tiny plot with few characters, is still several orders of magnitude better than the comparatively larger, bloated plots of 06, Shadow and Heroes. In fact, some of the characterisation work, I'd argue is better than that of SA2.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 8

I'll take Colors 2.0 (which SLW's plot really isn't) over badly-written pretentious fanction that paints itself as dark and edgy while falling flat throughout.

Edited by Narukami07
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'll take Colors 2.0 (which SLW's plot really isn't) over badly-written pretentious fanction that paints itself as dark and edgy while falling flat throughout.

So basically, you'll take Colours 2.0 over ShTH or '06? Yep. Me too.

I won't argue that Lost World's story is perfect, cause it really isn't. I felt it was lacking in explanation, which I can't make sense of considering this is a self-contained title without any connection to the rest of the series. Everything it offers in the cutscenes is entertaining for a number of reasons.

Though the whole deal with Tails being kidnapped was glossed over and not played to at all, what with him being a super genius that can do whatever the plot requires him to do. I think that the Zeti should have kidnapped Eggman instead, and turned him into a robot. That would have been more fun than having Tails overcome being controlled by the enemy for a second time (the first being Eggmans mind control in Colours).

• Thumbs Up 1

So I sent this PM to Aaron Webber on the SEGA Forums the other day:

He replied today with this:

Wow, my feedback is getting passed on to Iizuka?!! I'm just happy to give them some good word about the game with the mixed reviews and all going on, I can tell a lot of work has gone into the game.

That's pretty cool, while it is good to listen to criticism's on some things its nice to get some praise from people too.

Why the writers still needs to be fired even when people seem to really like the writing/story in this game? unsure.pngBoth of the stories in Colors and Generations is already pre-written by Sonic Team and the writers only written the English dialogue. People didn't like Colors for being humorous and having so many jokes so the new writers tone it back in Generations and people still didn't like them cause the plot is really lacking (which isn't really their fault).

Now Lost World seem to be really making up for both games and it's the first Sonic game the new writers has freedom over and people still want them gone.  

Edited by sonfan1984

Why the writers still needs to be fired even when people seem to really like the writing/story in this game? unsure.png   

I don't know the story but im guessing its because it doesn't have enough baldy mcnosehair.

Now that they've finally made Sonic act culpable for his mistakes and such, I can only hope that he's developed to actually learn from them and isn't condemned to "do a Knuckles" in future games i.e Keep falling into the same tendencies with no indication that the events of SLW's story had any impact. Much like Knuckles' unreasonable inclination for gullibility regarding Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 7

Fantastic review Blue. I disagree with you regarding Griffith, but whatevs. Opinions and stuff.