Awoo.

Lost World: Discussion, Impressions and Fan Reviews

Carbuncle

I'm not sure what you mean. We know they can create engaging stories, or at least ones we enjoy, simply by looking at the general consensus around the community. Subsequently, we know they have created engaging gameplay under similar methods of proof. It should not be rocket science to mash these two things together and simply make a game that doesn't stumble over itself in any single category. You only run into problems if you get down on a microscopic level and wonder how to please Johnny who prefers Colors' story to Adventure's and how to please Lily who prefers the opposite. But even then, you're still sure of one thing: they would both probably appreciate a Secret Rings-esque story, because most people do. You can't please everybody, but for God's sake, this doesn't mean you need to adopt a half-assed approach to things.

• Thumbs Up 8

Yeah that's what I mean, SEGA make good stories, or they CAN make good stories, I just don't understand why they find it so hard to add the story to a game with good gameplay without fucking it up with unnecessary bullshit that makes the general base of gamers who play the game, frown upon it for that one reason, and completely disregarding what the game has to offer overall.

I don't know, because SEGA do some questionable things in their games they always seem to create the worst possible things that journalism picks at constantly. Stuff like Werehog, Giving him a sword, love relations with a human etc. 

I know people should let go of the past, but lets be frank, people like to beat a dead horse with Sonic.

The problem is, its not a dead horse cause every game has its problems. Lately? When reviewing a Sonic game, they said he is on the right track. They always talk about Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing, Sonic 4, Colors and Generations. He was on a good track with people, expecally after Colors because many did like that game.

Sadly, seemed Lost World tried to much and now Sonic is back on that "questionable" seesaw again. Luckily not as bad as the 06 boat but kind of on that Unleashed boat where its 50 / 50.

>Great impression<

Reading this makes me regret cancelling my pre order. I'm not very active here but i've always somewhat agreed with you on previous games. A 3d game where i'm fully involved and where my input means more than pressing boost most of the time is something I had been longing for a long time. Maybe the demand has simply changed throughout the years because reading this makes me feel like it's done "well enough" to be enjoyable. Maybe for a person like me a lot more than previous games.

I had a pretty good pre order discount so i'll be waiting for another discount once I see one. If not I may just take it like a man and order it soon

Maybe it's just me, but Lost World seems to constantly scream the opportunity to find the perfect ultimate staple gameplay for our blue hedgehog.

Seriously, they took aspects from all 3 eras and threw in something new. Had it not been for some kinks in some of the level design, game aspects that frequently gimped  advertised features, missed opportunities and whatnot, this might just have gotten much more universal praise.

If SEGA could just tweak things right, maybe add a dash of speed here and there, focus more on doing their own stuff and giving extreme good care to the level design, it might finally yield the end of SEGA's search for a signature Sonic gameplay finally!

Edited by Jovahexeon

I wanted to watch all the cutscenes in SLW again, so yesterday I deleted my save file on the Wii U (to think I lose all 140 red star rings collected and Super Sonic). 

Just now I have again completed the game and I have obtained all 140 red star rings AGAIN!!! I am either awesome or insane? Or maybe both....

I like the cutscene in Windy Hill where Tails explains about how good he is with a toothpick. We should have seen the plot twist coming when he reprogrammes the machinery...

I like the cutscenes a lot even if a few of them are rather brief. Maybe I am being greedy but I wanted more cutscenes and for the story to go on longer as I was enjoying it so much. 

Anyway, time to take a break from SLW. I won't be deleting this new save file anytime soon tongue.png

Edited by -Bender-

I wanted to watch all the cutscenes in SLW again, so yesterday I deleted my save file on the Wii U (to think I lose all 140 red star rings collected and Super Sonic). 

Just now I have again completed the game and I have obtained all 140 red star rings AGAIN!!! I am either awesome or insane? Or maybe both....

I like the cutscene in Windy Hill where Tails explains about how good he is with a toothpick. We should have seen the plot twist coming when he reprogrammes the machinery...

I like the cutscenes a lot even if a few are rather brief. Maybe I am being greedy but I want more cutscenes and for the story to go on longer as I was enjoying it so much. 

Anyway time to take a break SLW (a really good Sonic game). Oh won't be deleting this new save file anytime soon tongue.png

Just watch the cutscenes on youtube you could have saved yourself so many hours.

Just watch the cutscenes on youtube you could have saved yourself so many hours.

I was a lot quicker getting everything on my second playthrough. But yeah I think I will stick to youtube from now on.

Edited by -Bender-

Is there no movie viewer or something?

No movie viewer and no soundtrack sound-test option, which really sucks.

There's always youtube for music but yeah I would of liked a sound test since unleashed and colors did it

This is what I mean with SEGA, they can easily throw in a simple cut scene viewer and sound test station...Yet they don't, although they've done it in past games, so what excuses them from not doing it in this game? Seriously SEGA disappoints in so many, easy to please areas.

This is what I mean with SEGA, they can easily throw in a simple cut scene viewer and sound test station...Yet they don't, although they've done it in past games, so what excuses them from not doing it in this game? Seriously SEGA disappoints in so many, easy to please areas.

yeah, i don't get why they have suddenly cut these out, its been one my few pet peeves about the games since unleashed.

yeah, i don't get why they have suddenly cut these out, its been one my few pet peeves about the games since unleashed.

Except they did it in Generations, so I don't understand why they keep going back and forth with the decision to include them or not.

It's like I get giddy as fuck when they include concept art and making of sketches in their games once in a blue moon, but music and cutscenes should be a staple thing if you can only view them once without starting a new game.

Generations had some scenes missing. You could only view Classic or Modern Sonics versions of the same scenes depending on how you saw them in game, and couldn't view any of the rescue scenes. It also lacked a sound test. Colours had all scenes, but no sound test either.

I think SEGA got rid of the sound test to encourage people to try the game instead of just listening to the music online. It's impossible for us to get clean or good rips of some tracks until the OST is out. Why they got rid of the cutscene viewer is anyone's guess though.

The 3DS includes the cut-scene viewer (and weirdly the ability to turn off subtitles but only when viewing them for the second time here).  But of course the 3DS version is missing some scenes from the Wii U one so bleh.

It really is nothing short of crazy though that they didn't include it.  Especially considering the cut-scenes are just video files, that would have taken what, an hour of programming at the most?

• Thumbs Up 1

Generations had some scenes missing. You could only view Classic or Modern Sonics versions of the same scenes depending on how you saw them in game, and couldn't view any of the rescue scenes. It also lacked a sound test. Colours had all scenes, but no sound test either.

Then I rest my case, but at least it was some form of cutscene viewer, but being incomplete doesn't surprise me in the least.

As for music, I don't know what SEGA want, is it to promote their stellar music so people will purchase the albums instead of ripping it online? Because they don't exactly offer a casual fan of the music an easy choice to obtain the music besides importing since they never release the albums over here, and hardly ever over iTunes.

I don't know, it's always been something that bugs me about SEGA, but the simple fact is they can't exactly stop people attempting to rip music and recording their game on sites like Youtube.

I just wish they'd bring it back, it was in the classics for god sakes, why remove a staple function people have come to love?

Maybe it's just me, but Lost World seems to constantly scream the opportunity to find the perfect ultimate staple gameplay for our blue hedgehog.

Seriously, they took aspects from all 3 eras and threw in something new. Had it not been for some kinks in some of the level design, game aspects that frequently gimped  advertised features, missed opportunities and whatnot, this might just have gotten much more universal praise.

If SEGA could just tweak things right, maybe add a dash of speed here and there, focus more on doing their own stuff and giving extreme good care to the level design, it might finally yield the end of SEGA's search for a signature Sonic gameplay finally!

Oh, and improve the bosses too!

• Thumbs Up 1

It's been said, but I really hope the next game Sonic Team kinda go back to how things were with Colors, where it felt like they were doing their own thing. The Lost World gameplay could work well for the next title, if they just make it a bit faster and tighten physics in a way even more similar to the classics. The run trigger could also be more of a "hold it down and keep moving to increase your speed" type of deal, instead of just "hold it down to run". Same with the Spin Dash. 

I think tweaks like that, along with a more Sonic-ish level structure could help this formula grow and improve a bit more next time.

I thought this was an interesting post because I was just thinking the same thing the other day about the run button.

Could you imagine how fun it would be to hold it down and gradually build speed, it would be an addicting feature i think.

Just imagine holding it down and gaining speeds similar to generations but only after you hold it down for a long time but its optional.

Would be great for speed runners.

Who knows though, there might be consequences of this im not thinking of though.

Edited by TheDanimator

Nintendo UK has made this player reactions video from Eurogamer Expo for the Wii U version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSKqZp6jdkg&feature=youtu.be&6573089=1

I facepalmed throughout, especially at the "It's up there" guy.

So after getting burned out on the 3DS version I'm giving the Wii U version another try and oh my goddddddddd it's all the worse for playing 3DS.

What really sucks is that I think, overall the Wii U one has better level design but I keep trying to parkour as freely as you can in the 3DS one and Sonic is so goddamn sluggish.  Like whenever you connect with a wall and start to run up it there's this little pause as he "latches on" and enters parkour mode, and he loses steam SO quickly compared to the 3DS one.  Precision platforming is as awful as ever thanks to that goddamn backflip animation and the spin dash barely does anything.  Earlier I died jumping straight into a pit like a true IGN reviewer as I attempted to make a jump after just starting running that you could clear and then some on the 3DS.

If I could just get a game with the Wii U level design but with the 3DS game engine (and actually fun Wisp-ing) I would have adored this game.

Edited by JezMM

So after getting burned out on the 3DS version I'm giving the Wii U version another try and oh my goddddddddd it's all the worse for playing 3DS.

What really sucks is that I think, overall the Wii U one has better level design but I keep trying to parkour as freely as you can in the 3DS one and Sonic is so goddamn sluggish.  Like whenever you connect with a wall and start to run up it there's this little pause as he "latches on" and enters parkour mode, and he loses steam SO quickly compared to the 3DS one.  Precision platforming is as awful as ever thanks to that goddamn backflip animation and the spin dash barely does anything.  Earlier I died jumping straight into a pit like a true IGN reviewer as I attempted to make a jump after just starting running that you could clear and then some on the 3DS.

If I could just get a game with the Wii U level design but with the 3DS game engine (and actually fun Wisp-ing) I would have adored this game.

Might just be a matter of just getting into it, I know when I played sonic unleashed (wii) for the first time in awhile after playing the hd version for so long it took a while to get myself back into the groove of things, same thing seems to apply here.

I can safely say from the fact that I was like "Whoa this is so much better" when I first played 3DS, and the fact that I was like "Whoa this is so much worse" when I went back to Wii U, it's prolly not a matter of getting used to it (with regards to which I personally prefer, I mean).

Another oddity is there are so many invisible springs in the 2D areas of Wii U.  Like, on 3DS they teach you wall climbing stuff in Windy Hill Act 3 and you cannot progress until you learn it.  They then proceed to use wall climbing all over the place for the rest of the 2D stages.  Here I keep seeing easily climbable walls, run towards them and then get launched up with a spring like "Don't you trouble yourself Sonic, save all that parkouring energy for getting stuck into corners and climbing up ledges unnecessarily during wall jump puzzles later on".

It is nice to be back in the flourishing, animated locales of Wii U though.  3DS is a little Unleashed WiiS2-ish in how empty it feels in terms of extra little aesthetic details.

Edited by JezMM

So... I take it you don't like the Wii U version that much, if at all, eh, Jez?

I find it... frustrating.  Coz I really really want to like it but I just can't get into the handling of Sonic after the silky smoothness of how he handles on 3DS.