Awoo.

Sonic 1 Mobile (2005) Verizon Edition - First Recorded Gameplay?

Motobug

So, as some as you may know, a mobile version of Sonic 1 was released for mobile phones in 2005. However, there was a version released for Verizon phones that removed all sound effects. I haven't found ANY gameplay of it. However, I found one of my mom's old phones which had it on it. Here's some gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAfb_VcHgxo

I also have started uploading its music.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLukXi-rg904ZyPDHy3ezcE4oSoOhh6fVT

Edited by Speedster
  • Thumbs Up 4

Oh god, it's like Sonic Genesis all over again. What platform hasn't this game been on now?

Yet it still plays better than Sonic Genesis.

I still stand by my theory that Sonic Genesis for GBA was just a port of the mobile phone version. It uses the same menu layouts and retains none of the favorable qualities of the original game.

I had the cell phone version.

It's absolutely fucking awful. If you thought Sonic Genesis was the worst Sonic 1 port there is, you probably never played the mobile phone port.

Hell, at least the music is properly synced in Genesis

Edited by Solkia

Oh, there's also the fact that Sonic Genesis is on an actual gaming platform.

I'm not sure how fun it would be to press tiny arrow keys on a flip phone...

I still stand by my theory that Sonic Genesis for GBA was just a port of the mobile phone version. It uses the same menu layouts and retains none of the favorable qualities of the original game.

Wrong.

Sonic Genesis is the result of what happens when you try to build a classic game with the advance engine, similar to Sonic 4 using Sonic Rush's engine.

EDIT: I posted this over at Retro to see if it was ever properly documented. if not, maybe it would be best if we could get the rom extracted from the phone, hopefully you have a cable that connects to the PC for that phone.

Edited by goku262002

That actually looks pretty cool. I only ever seemed to get boring games on my phones D: (Although one phone had Tetris on it. That was awesome. Phone was a piece of crap, but the game was good. And on one phone we had years and years ago (it was so old it had a monochrome screen) there was snake). However, it looks like it might be a bit hard to play. Does it have all the levels of the original, and have you ever completed the whole game on the phone?

I thought Sonic Genesis was the result of an extreme rush job.

I am pretty sure that a Sonic Advance hack that changed the level design to resemble Sonic 1 would have been much better than the garbage we got instead.

How bad would consider the controls?

Edited by Mr. 0

Source  .

The reason for the slow down in the game is because it was built off of the Sonic Advance engine, using graphics and collisions from Sonic the Hedgehog on Sega Genesis rather than a port of the source code. The Sonic Advance graphics and collisions are almost half the same size as Sonic the Hedgehog's original collision sets. Simply put, the engine does not have enough memory to support many large objects on screen and still retain Sonic speed, although it can support many small objects. The lag usually only occurs when there are too many objects on screen for the game to render quickly. This is also the reason why sometimes the game "forgets" to draw things. The solution is to clear out some of the objects that are taking up memory and the object should pop up.

That actually looks pretty cool. I only ever seemed to get boring games on my phones D: (Although one phone had Tetris on it. That was awesome. Phone was a piece of crap, but the game was good. And on one phone we had years and years ago (it was so old it had a monochrome screen) there was snake). However, it looks like it might be a bit hard to play. Does it have all the levels of the original, and have you ever completed the whole game on the phone?

There are indeed all of the levels from the original game, and no, I haven't completed the whole thing, but there is a level select in the menu that allows access to any level (even ones you haven't gotten to yet).

I am pretty sure that a Sonic Advance hack that changed the level design to resemble Sonic 1 would have been much better than the garbage we got instead.

How bad would consider the controls?

The controls are actually my main gripe with this game. Jumping with the circle buttons is really finicky. Sometimes, when I jump and hold forward, it won't even recognize me holding right. Keypad buttons work better, but not by much.

Wrong.

Sonic Genesis is the result of what happens when you try to build a classic game with the advance engine, similar to Sonic 4 using Sonic Rush's engine.

bth_watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-

Who's to say that isn't what the mobile version was to begin with? I remember playing the mobile version and the GBA version - they're almost the exact same thing, right down to the terrible sound synth.

So yeah, hop on over to Retro and see if you can confirm that. Until then, I'll be an old fashioned man stuck in my old fashioned ideals.

Edited by Indighost Rush

Well, that is embarrassingly terrible.  At least it has the excuse that it's on inferior hardware.  There is simply no justification for Sonic 1 GBA's utter failure of a port.

EDIT: I posted this over at Retro to see if it was ever properly documented. if not, maybe it would be best if we could get the rom extracted from the phone, hopefully you have a cable that connects to the PC for that phone.

Found one online for about 5 bucks. No idea how I'm going to get the file though.

bth_watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-

Who's to say that isn't what the mobile version was to begin with? I remember playing the mobile version and the GBA version - they're almost the exact same thing, right down to the terrible sound synth.

So yeah, hop on over to Retro and see if you can confirm that. Until then, I'll be an old fashioned man stuck in my old fashioned ideals.

^^^Uh...I did mang. tongue.png I knew that was gonna be questioned so I looked for the source before I posted. check above.^^^

Just coincidental most likely.

Found one online for about 5 bucks. No idea how I'm going to get the file though.

Theres software out there that can extract items off a phone, give me your phone's exact model number and I'll take a look around.

Edited by goku262002

There's software out there that can extract items off a phone, give me your phone's exact model number and I'll take a look around.

It's an LG VX8300.

Wasn't Sonic 1 GBA built using the Advance Engine because they lost the original source code or something? I could be wrong but I thought I heard that. If so, it might make sense the GBA and Mobile editions are similar due to both starting from scratch.

They'd have to be the most completely fucking incompetent company in the industry to lose the source code to one of their company's most important pieces of history.

So yeah, they probably did.

Orrrr they were just lazy and couldn't be bothered with using the original source code when they had the Advance engine sitting right there.

They'd have to be the most completely fucking incompetent company in the industry to lose the source code to one of their company's most important pieces of history.

So yeah, they probably did.

Well, we are talking about the company that lost the source code to the ENTIRE Saturn library, so ya wouldnt rule it out

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, what a trip. Used to have this on my Motorola Razr back when I was nine or so. Suffice to say that it was nothing more of short term entertainment (such as while waiting on a bus or while on lunch hour). Nonetheless, as someone who went from a Nokia 6110 to a Motorola Razr it was a whole other world.

Back to the topic at hand. The port by today's standards was fucking awful in all ways imaginable. Whether in reference to controls, sound, etc. (all of which were hindered greatly by the limited capabilities of most mobile devices at the time) it was bad (once again, short term entertainment).

To me it has that nostalgic (if you could call it that) appeal of being a predecessor of sorts for the mobile ports and games as we know today, though other than that I regard this port as being nothing short of a poor attempt of a successful mobile game.

Many thanks for the throwback Speedster.

it's worse than playing Sonic the Hedgehog on a iPod Nano 5th gen. The controls are so up tight on the nano, your hands will ache in the first 2 - 3 minutes just by playing it. and the worst part, there's no way of flipping the game around so you'll have to play it with the screen on the left side and the control's on the right side.

• 8 years later...

Sorry for replying this old thread 8 Years Ago but the game is now found. Do you know what family member was passed on without your knowledge? Also, Do you still have the video with the Music as you mentioned? 

It was also in the Promotion: https://www.verizon.com/about/news/vzw/2005/12/pr2005-12-21f

You can download Melange BREW Emulator & Games: https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Melange

I have found a FULL gameplay of it including yours & also the Low-end version. Here's some gameplays

FULL Gameplay: https://youtu.be/ILDQEF7pCn0

Low-end version FULL Gameplay: https://youtu.be/KZJnwUx0S4E

Low-end Gameplay including Motorola V265 Brazilian Portuguese with TecToy Credits: https://youtu.be/ET6Cfw4lBAE

KrZ One (Kraze): 

Edited by sdtaylor2001
Correcting Information