Awoo.

Capcom doesn't have the resources for a next-gen fighter

Candescence

With all the DmC: Devil May Cry bashing going on, I'll chip in that I absolutely love that game and how they treated Dante/how he looks in it.

(Yes, I'm going there.)

Why? All they'd do is bastardize the franchise and then either never touch it again or release 1-2 mediocre games per generation.

What's your basis for this? NSMB?

With all the DmC: Devil May Cry bashing going on, I'll chip in that I absolutely love that game and how they treated Dante/how he looks in it.

There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not particularly relevant to the fact that the way it was all handled still contributed to the situation we have now rather than being a net positive.

Edited by Terrornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

What's your basis for this? NSMB?

Boy I sure loved that F-Zero game that was on the Wi- oh wait there isn't one

Well at least the Star Fox game on Wii is gr- oh there's no Starfox game either

But that Custom Robo game was!.... non-existant.

Well at least we got 2 MEtroid games... even though one barely resembled a Metroid game and the other didn't resemble a Metroid game at all.

But we did get Kirby! in 2D again... with nothing interesting about them... fucking again...

Have you not seen any of the shit Nintendo gets regarding their franchises until now? Star Fox is dead, F-Zero is dead, Custom Robo is dead, Kirby is getting old, Fire Emblem came close to never having another game again, Metroid might as well be dead, etc.

Hell fucking Mario has gotten critisism. It's gotten to the point that people actually fucking criticize Mario.

• Thumbs Up 8

Boy I sure loved that F-Zero game that was on the Wi- oh wait there isn't one

Well at least the Star Fox game on Wii is gr- oh there's no Starfox game either

But that Custom Robo game was!.... non-existant.

Well at least we got 2 MEtroid games... even though one barely resembled a Metroid game and the other didn't resemble a Metroid game at all.

But we did get Kirby! in 2D again... with nothing interesting about them... fucking again...

Have you not seen any of the shit Nintendo gets regarding their franchises until now? Star Fox is dead, F-Zero is dead, Custom Robo is dead, Kirby is getting old, Fire Emblem came close to never having another game again, Metroid might as well be dead, etc.

Hell fucking Mario has gotten critisism. It's gotten to the point that people actually fucking criticize Mario.

We got a revival of DKC, and Kid Icarus, and Luigi's Mansion. Plus, you got Star Fox on the DS during the lifespan of the Wii, so it's not like the franchise is totally dead. Kirby still has it's loyal following, so what if you don't find yourself entertained by it? Fire Emblem was critically acclaimed, and more are coming. And, so what if Metroid got one flop on the Wii, so you discredit the beloved Prime 3? How about bringing back Pikmin 3 after the disappearance on Wii (aside from the Wii play series)

Yes, Nintendo has a habit of spamming their more popular names, and not releasing their more obscure ones often, but they are just one company, and if they have a winner on their hands, they'll develop it. And people will most likely love it. And hey, the fact they don't come out yearly doesn't mean they'll be bad as you say.

Edited by VisionaryBlur
  • Thumbs Up 7

We got a revival of DKC, and Kid Icarus, and Luigi's Mansion. Plus, you got Star Fox on the DS during the lifespan of the Wii, so it's not like the franchise is totally dead. Kirby still has it's loyal following, so what if you don't find yourself entertained by it? Fire Emblem was critically acclaimed, and more are coming. And, so what if Metroid got one flop on the Wii, so you discredit the beloved Prime 3? How about bringing back Pikmin 3 after the disappearance on Wii (aside from the Wii play series)

Yes, Nintendo has a habit of spamming their more popular names, and not releasing their more obscure ones often, but they are just one company, and if they have a winner on their hands, they'll develop it. And people will most likely love it. And hey, the fact they don't come out yearly doesn't mean they'll be bad as you say.

I highly doubt anyone actually considers Command any good.

Hell, some people claim it's the reason we haven't had any Star Fox game since. Star Fox 64: Texture Hack Edition doesn't count.

• Thumbs Up 1

I highly doubt anyone actually considers Command any good.

Hell, some people claim it's the reason we haven't had any Star Fox game since. Star Fox 64: Texture Hack Edition doesn't count.

Yes, but it still counted as an attempt. (More than texture hack 64). So the franchise isn't recently departed, just quietly waiting where Kid Icarus was.

And remember, all it took to bring that back after 34 years was one talented developer who showed interest in the project. Nintendo has new blood these days, and if one just shows a little interest in the wider library, then you'll get what you want.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

I often feel like people focus too much on the negative instead of the positive. Nintendo revived a ton of franchises and pulled so many great games on the Wii. I don't know why we're expecting every franchise to be brought back. Limited resources is limited resources.

Donkey Kong, Metroid, Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Sin & Punishment, Fire Emblem, Excite Truck, Super Paper Mario, Pokemon, Endless Ocean, Wario Land, Animal Crossing, Punch Out, Another Code R, Rhythm Heaven, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Dr. Mario, ExciteBike, Warioware, Fluidity

With the way Nintendo is treating Sonic (publishing their titles, exclusive deals), I can not see how anyone can imagine Nintendo abandoning Megaman. If anything, it would be high profile releases based on name alone.

...Did we not see Nintendo go out to get him in Smash Bros?

• Thumbs Up 6

Another Code R

Probably not the best example to bring up when they didn't bother to publish the game (or Last Window) in America even after localizing it completely, then let the company that made it go bankrupt without a second thought.

• Thumbs Up 1

I often feel like people focus too much on the negative instead of the positive. Nintendo revived a ton of franchises and pulled so many great games on the Wii. I don't know why we're expecting every franchise to be brought back. Limited resources is limited resources.

Donkey Kong, Metroid, Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Sin & Punishment, Fire Emblem, Excite Truck, Super Paper Mario, Pokemon, Endless Ocean, Wario Land, Animal Crossing, Punch Out, Another Code R, Rhythm Heaven, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Dr. Mario, ExciteBike, Warioware, Fluidity

With the way Nintendo is treating Sonic (publishing their titles, exclusive deals), I can not see how anyone can imagine Nintendo abandoning Megaman. If anything, it would be high profile releases based on name alone.

...Did we not see Nintendo go out to get him in Smash Bros?

This is true, sides even if they don't release them as often as mario the quality on these always show a bit more than the mario games when they actually have some ideas for them (Kirby's return to dreamland was probably my favorite kirby game) like with what sakurai did with Uprising whoever decides to take up some of the old mascots will probably make a good game out of it but it would be cool if out of the sega and nintendo partnership a new f-zero could be released.

Probably not the best example to bring up when they didn't bother to publish the game (or Last Window) in America even after localizing it completely, then let the company that made it go bankrupt without a second thought.

lol. I was just using Wikipedia. I've never heard of the game. If it wasn't for you meddling adult, I would have gotten away with it! [Play Scooby Doo victory dance]

All this means is that Arc System Works can take the Fighting game King throne....and that will be perfectly ok with me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Capcom doesn't have my permission to die until Viewtiful Joe 3 gets made.

I-I'm sorry Chooch, but Viewtiful Joe is dead. It's been dead for a long time. They took it off life support shortly after the Anime rapped up. sad.png

All this means is that Arc System Works can take the Fighting game King throne....and that will be perfectly ok with me.

They might've already taken it with the announcement of the new Guilty Gear.

Edited by Balding Spider

Capcom doesn't have my permission to die until Viewtiful Joe 3 gets made.

Platinum can just go and make a Poseman game instead. If you squint it's close enough.

To be honest, losing Capcom and by extension Street Fighter could be pretty tragic, but I haven't particularity cared about them as a company since the fired Clover. Capcom already died when they did that, IMO.

Platinum can just go and make a Poseman game instead. If you squint it's close enough.

To be honest, losing Capcom and by extension Street Fighter could be pretty tragic, but I haven't particularity cared about them as a company since the fired Clover. Capcom already died when they did that, IMO.

*sigh* that god hand, okami, and viewtiful joe sequel will unfortunately never be made, im gonna go cry in my sad corner now.

*sigh* that god hand, okami, and viewtiful joe sequel will unfortunately never be made, im gonna go cry in my sad corner now.

Two of those games got sequels but they were forgotten for good reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd probably care more if Dead Rising 3 was coming to a console that I own, and also was actually Dead Rising.

But sorry to all you good folks who'll be losing your Megamen and your Munster Haunters.

But sorry to all you good folks who'll be losing your Megamen and your Munster Haunters.

We lost Mega Man a loooooong time ago.

• Thumbs Up 2

Same creator and same concept, but its not Mega Man Mega Man. Its more like a reboot if anything.

Mega Man has been in that coffin for a while now.

I thought Viewtiful Joe 2 was good?

2 was great but ever heard of Double Trouble? Red Hot Rumble? ...Exactly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Despite being a completely dickish sentiment, I actually kind of like the idea of Capcom going down, mainly because of the idea that their properties could get auctioned off and end up in better hands.

Unlikely as it may be, the possibility of Okami somehow making its way into Platinum's hands just...it just tickles me in a very special place.

...How many of those are actually Nintendo franchises, though?  As opposed to just being on a Nintendo console?

...Wasn't Fluidity on the Wii the first in a series, also?  How is that a franchise revival?

I agree with the sentiment, though.  Nintendo have a lot of franchises under their thumb, without an infinite supply of money, developers, and potential customers to use them.  Should they be making more of some of these?  I think so.  Should they be making more of some of these instead of some of what they are making?  That's debateable.  Right now they're making a lot of safe bet games to sell Wii U, and I don't know if F-Zero would cut it where Mario Kart will.  The best-case scenario is that they make oodles of dosh and start feeling secure enough to make sequels to something more obscure again.  Not that they don't sometimes do that anyway.

Wait, Hell, this doesn't have anything directly to do with the thread topic.  Hold on.  Oh, that's right, I heard that that $150 million thing might not actually be true.  And that tweet from Ono could mean anything - all of their developers could be tied up in other projects, for instance (someone even suggests this in the article comments).  I do agree that they might want to split their resources among some less ambitious projects that might turn a better profit than just one thing they pour absolutely everything into, though.

Edited by FFWF