Awoo.

Capcom doesn't have the resources for a next-gen fighter

Candescence

Sega has advertising?

Well, for Sonic yeah...in a way.

Sega doesn't. Sega-Sammy probably does.

Either way I'd prefer they go to a publisher that's worth a shit.

We said that about Atlus, and then look what happened. The stronger you fight it, the more likely chance it's going to happen. THEY FEED ON NEGATIVITY.

• Thumbs Up 1

The sadist in me wants SEGA to buy them, because the outrage would be hilarious and SEGA would probably do worse by MegaMan than Capcom ever did.

The SEGA fanboy in me wants SEGA to buy them, because I like seeing SEGA score points.

The realist in me wants Nintendo to buy them, cause I really doubt any other company would do justice to their properties but also isn't too fussed cause the only Capcom series I have an interest in is Ace Attorney

Either way, they're not actually "up for sale" as THQ's properties and Atlus were before. I'm not really sure about the specifics regarding the situation and if anyone would be wanting to buy them in the immediate future anyway. Will be interesting to see this develop.

• Thumbs Up 3

Whether it'll happen at all is still up in the air, but the fact that the shareholders are allowing it at all is an obvious vote of no confidence in Capcom's current way of doing things. Either Capcom shapes up, or the shareholders allow for someone who will make them.

Honestly, with all this stuff, I'd just like someone to acquire Capcom who can put a stop to Capcom's bullshit and actually make games people want. Especially Mega Man. Nintendo would likely be one of those companies. Sony? Maybe.

Microsoft? Haha, fuck no. That would be the worst-case scenario.

I see some people shitting their pants just thinking about Sega buying Capcom, but you know what? I think that Sega is the perfect company to buy them. Just look at Atlus. While Sega or Sammy or whatever own them now, they let Atus still do what they want. Being together even brought new possibilities to both sides like the Atlus x Dingo partnership for one of their new games.

In my opinion Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft getting them would be the worst outcome. Fuck that, I don't want Street Fighter exclusive for something that I don't own.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why are you people thinking only one company will buy Capcom's products? What if the franchises will be split and put on auction just like THQ?

Whatever let's Nintendo develop the Megaman games. Also, Nintendo would get Dead Rising. I think Capcom are exactly what Nintendo need, and I think Nintendo are exactly what Capcom need.

Why are you people thinking only one company will buy Capcom's products? What if the franchises will be split and put on auction just like THQ?

THQ's mess was different. Very different. The whole company was bankrupt, shut down, and all its assets were sold off separately as a result. The acquisition of an active company, on the other hand, is very usually done as a whole.

Now, if Capcom does file for bankruptcy, we could easily see something similar to THQ's sell-off, but that's only if someone doesn't purchase the company entirely.

I see some people shitting their pants just thinking about Sega buying Capcom, but you know what? I think that Sega is the perfect company to buy them. Just look at Atlus. While Sega or Sammy or whatever own them now, they let Atus still do what they want. Being together even brought new possibilities to both sides like the Atlus x Dingo partnership for one of their new games.

In my opinion Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft getting them would be the worst outcome. Fuck that, I don't want Street Fighter exclusive for something that I don't own.

Letting Capcom continue their bullshit is a good thing?

They need someone to reform them, not a thinly veiled bail-out.

• Thumbs Up 5

Letting Capcom continue their bullshit is a good thing?

They need someone to reform them, not a thinly veiled bail-out.

I was gonna say that they still do a good job with some titles like the latest Bravely Default but then I remembered that BD is a Square Enix thing.

Now I don't know what to say, man. They have Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter, I guess.

They'll probably be bought by some random obscure japanese company anyway.

I finally come back again to SSMB and this is what I see...

Capcom is going to be sold out huh? ...I can honestly say that I'm not surprised by this, especially after all of the bullshit they kept constantly pulling in recent years.

I remember a few months ago I said, "Unless Capcom can pull off some amazing-awesome-as-fuck miracle to turn this all around (which I highly doubt it happening), however I can't see them getting out of this one."

I hope Capcom is bought by a company that will properly take care of Capcom's IPs. Hopefully Nintendo does.

I feel like we're overreacting a bit here.  What's happened is that it's now easier for Capcom to be taken over by an outside company, but that's not the same as it being for sale.  In fact, according to the original source, this is just a return to Capcom's default policy circa 2008.

• Thumbs Up 2

We know this. But first they're low on cash and now they're able to be bought out, it's not unreasonable to believe the next move will be them being put up for grabs.

This might be a stupid/unimportant question, but I didn't see it asked anywhere earlier in the thread.

If one of Nintendo's competitors buys Capcom, what would that mean for Mega Man in Smash Bros 4? Would he have to be removed for legal reasons, or would he be able to stay because the agreement was made before Capcom was sold? I don't know much about legal stuff.

The game is to be released this year, and the contract was formed before Capcom was put in this situation. MEga MAn in Smash wil be fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

It would mean that Mega Man would have to get cut in the next Smash Bros. (assuming one is made). I kinda like the idea of Nintendo buying Capcom, but I'm not sure if they'll do it. Granted, no one HAS to buy Capcom, but the option is there.

I want Megaman to come back just as bad as all of you but I really don't feel like Nintendo or the other 2 would be a good choice for Capcom, for 1 thing international deals like the US comic would be immediately canceled (Nintendo scenario) or be put into consideration for digital releases instead (SONY/Microsoft scenario). Also I don't believe that the new holder would suddenly revive all the IPs you want, when you (not YOU you, just company wise you) think capcom you think Classic!Megaman, Dead Rising, and Street Fighter as its top 3 franchises worth investing into but others that don't have as strong of a fanbase like Ace Attorney, Darkstalkers, and Lost Planet wouldn't get as much as a investment leaving them in the dark for a good long while.

Hopefully I see a merger much like how Square-Enix, SEGA-Sammy, and Namco-Bandai did theirs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why do alot of people want Nintendo to buy Capcom? Would that REALLY be such a good idea? I rather a 3rd party buys them cause not all games fit on all consoles. That and really I don't think either of the big three would give a fuck about the blue bomber when Resident Evil, Street fighter, and whatever makes Capcom money would be looked at first. I'm not saying it can't happen... but I dunno. 

Tho I WILL say who EVER out of the big 3 buys them.... they would win the console war hands down. All those IPs and lovve em or hate em. CAPCOM is a VERY big name, a name that would carry SO much power for whoever. Which is worrying that if it were to the big three...  people would be assed out no matter HOW you sliced it. I vote for Sony as they have the bigger player base. Tho Soft would most likely jump at that pizza first.. knowing them.

As others have said, Capcom isn't currently "up for sale" or anything, shareholders just made it so that Capcom could be sold again if it needed to come to that, bc they aren't confident of Capcom's future.

Also why are people counting out Microsoft? Is there really a law about western companies not being able to buy Japanese ones? Cause I don't think there is!

Unfortunately, if it came to Capcom being bought by another game company, MS have a very high chance of being interested. If there's any third party with a huge influence over Japan's gaming market, it's Monster Hu- uh, I mean Capcom.

You're Microsoft, and you for the longest time have been trying to become popular in Japan, you don't try so hard because you're not really based over there, but damn if you wouldn't like a slice of that industry's money pie, especially when you arguably have a strong grip on the games industry in most other regions! SUDDENLY, as if by magic, the company who owns Monster Hunter goes up for sale. Yes, that company. The one who can control the ebb and flow of the winner of the Japanese console war simply by deciding which system to release Monster Hunter on, the very same!

Oh, and because you're Microsoft, you also have tons of money. This kind of investment isn't out of the question at all.

So when/if Capcom ever really does go up for sale, those of you who don't wanna see annualised Resident Evil and the true-real death of Ace Attorney, Viewtiful Joe, Mega Man and Okami should probably cross your fingers that Microsoft don't get an appetite. Because I doubt MS has any interest at all in any of those franchises if what happened to Rare is any indication.

• Thumbs Up 2

American/foreign national's cannot directly buy Japanese stock, they have to do it through other means, and there is a high limit on what they can do, its called nationalization laws, they don't want their country's resources owned completely by foriegners

least I think that's the case

Also why are people counting out Microsoft?

*snip*

So when/if Capcom ever really does go up for sale, those of you who don't wanna see annualised Resident Evil and the true-real death of Ace Attorney, Viewtiful Joe, Mega Man and Okami should probably cross your fingers that Microsoft don't get an appetite. Because I doubt MS has any interest at all in any of those franchises if what happened to Rare is any indication.

You've answered your own question. People aren't quite ready to lament the deaths of countless promising franchises until it happens.

Most of their franchises are dead. Or at least in a position where they might as well be.

We already had Ace Attorney for Wii, now it's time to port them to Kinect!

Well none of this matters too much... just remembered there's no value for failure. Who ever buys capcom... buys their debt too. Just remembered that little bit of info. D: ooops.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, then Sony or Sega will probably buy them, they fucking love debt.

I think Sony's out of the question though, cause they seem to like using most of their IPs. Meanwhile SEGA and Capcom share their understanding letting awesome IPs die.
  • Thumbs Up 8