Awoo.

How good are Sonic games compared to your other favorite series?

Exploder

Sonic games' quality as it relates to other (platforming) series I play fluctuates pretty much with the quality of the games themselves.

I wouldn't put anything released from 2003 up to 2009 (aside from maybe Rush) anywhere near the likes of...ppprprprreeetty much anything I, well, like. The classics, on the other hand, I'd say are well on par with the best of pretty much any other platforming series. I have reservations about comparing the Adventures to platformers of today, though I do think they haven't stood the test of time as well as some of their contemporaries. Colors stacks up well enough, I think.

Generations was my favorite platformer of 2011 and I die a little when people say that Sonic obviously isn't relevant anymore and would need something like Rayman Origins to get back on top. Don't get me wrong, Rayman Origins was a fantastic game, but I fail to see how Gens falls very short of the mark at all. I'd even say it was as good as 3D Land.

Comparing Sonic games to anything outside the platforming genre really doesn't seem fair to me.

When it comes to strictly Platformers, Rayman Origins kicks the shit out of every Sonic game I've ever played. I'm not THAT into the Rayman Series, unfortunately, so I can't say how the rest of the Series compares.

As for other platforming series I like....the more I think about it, the more I realize Mario kinda deserves far more respect. Especially compared to Sonic. The series may have went through a period where everything was a bit too bland, but Dream Team, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and now Mario 3D World are bringing life back to the series. Several Mario games are also in my top platformers list, while only one Sonic game barely makes it's way in there. 

Donkey Kong Country is also another favorite of mine. Unlike Sonic, the entire series has this edge to it that Sonic really hasn't been able to pull off correctly when it tries. 

Sonic has some games that REALLY stand out, (Sonic 3K is one of the best platformers I've ever played and I've never seen a fan-service game pulled off as wonderfully as Generations since Super Smash Bros came onto the scene.) But the series is pretty average all things considered. Not a lot of people give it respect, but what does it really deserve compared to what other platformers do?

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, the only games I can say stand up to my other favourite games are the classic games, especially Sonic 3 and Knux. Often I find that Sonic games, especially 3d ones, are just "Good", as opposed to "Great" like a lot of my other favourite games are. Honestly the only reason I still consider it my favourite franchise is because of nostalgia and the potential I see in it that's just not getting realized anymore (and in some cases never getting realized at all). I mean if it wasn't for those things I wouldn't HATE it, it would just not be my fave. 

I still love the classics though. If I fall out of favor with the other games, that 4-game ensemble I'll probably still love. 

Edited by Ghostly Warp

Compared to the other Platformers I've played (Rayman, R&C, Sly Cooper, etc.) Sonic games are...uh.

Well, I still enjoy playing most of them, at least.