Awoo.

I'm looking for some advice

Chooch

I'm not sure if there's any particular rule against these sort of topics, but I suppose it's worth a try.

Since my birthday was recently, naturally one of primary gifts I received was cash to spend on whatever I wanted to. So I was thinking about getting a new game for my PS3. (I don't have a 360 or a Wii.) To prevent suggestions that can't be counted, I'll list the games I have/used to own first:

LittleBigPlanet

Sonic 06

Sonic Unleashed

Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Full Auto 2: Battlelines

Soulcalibur IV

Heavenly Sword

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Resistance: Fall of Man

Resistance 2

The Club

There are plenty of games that I've been meaning to buy/wanting to try out, so now that I have the money it's rather difficult to choose which one! Some of the games I'm interested in getting are Killzone 2, Fallout 3, Street Fighter IV, and Resident Evil 5 among others.

These aren't the only games you have to chose, of course. Any suggestions are acceptable.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chooch

• CtW

• Kevin

• Gabz Girl

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the PS3 has Bioshock too. If you haven't got that game yet, I definitely recommend it as it's one of the bestest best games ever. Well, I've never played it seeing as I don't own a 360 or PS3. But I have seen clips, and I agree with the statement. Hee. XP

It's kind of like an FPS adventure horror...mix. It's pretty unique, and the storyline and graphics are amazing. If you're not sure...

Here's the Wikipedia page, which details the gameplay and such. Watch out for spoilers though!

Or you can always check out the official website which is at the bottom of the Wiki page in Links. Mind you though, the website uses alot of Flash and for me it runs slow as a snail. >3<

I agree with Gabz on Bioshock. While I haven't played it myself, from what I have seen of it, the game does indeed look amazing and certainly worth a look at. I think Jezmm has played it though, so maybe he can tell you more about it.

Looking at Bioshock from a purely gameplay angle, it's nothing new. (System shock 2 basically). But, when you look at it altogether it's different. If anything it's the story and the emotions of the game that makes the game what it is. It's gonna make you think, and some bits are likely to freak you out. I reccomend it anyways, and it's always a good idea to get a reccomendation from someone who's actually played it. XD

That being said, it's not the only game on the console that looks good, I'd rate Fallout 3 as being a better game than Bioshock. Much more of an experience, and it's a fully explorable world unlike Bioshock (which pretty much boxes you in and tells you where to go). But it's up to you. :)

Uncharted is awesome, and offcourse the Ratchet & Clank games. WipeOut HD, Lumines Supernova, MegaMan 9 and 3on3 NHL Arcade from the PSN. And Siren Blood Curse if your in to horror games.

If you are really in to action, Killzone 2 will make you verry happy.

Edited by Michael Myers

DMC 4, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma are great titles that are pretty cheap now. And Orange Box is probably the best thing you could buy on the PS3 for less than $30.

Looking at Bioshock from a purely gameplay angle, it's nothing new. (System shock 2 basically).

Getting to play System Shock 2 twice, effectively, is considered a good thing among most gamers.

I don't own a PS3, but I think you can play PS2 games on it still, right? *I know, I suck, D=<* You could always look back in time a bit and get some real cool games like Shadow of the Colossus or Okami. PS2 had a great amount of awesome games that you could find cheap right now, =D. More awesome games for less money!

-Blur

Bioshock is more like System Shock 2 Lite though.

Out of the games you listed, I'd say RE5 or Killzone 2. Street Fighter IV if you have pals that will play it, or intend to play online heaps (dunno what PSN is like with it though)

Fallout 3 is pretty good apparently but a bit short. I can't speak from firsthand experience there since the whole post apocalyptic thing doesn't interest me, but everyone I've talked to that's played it loved it. It's a departure from the old Fallout computer RPGs by Black Isle (which were lauded as two of the greatest RPGs ever) in terms of gameplay but Bethesda seems to have made a solid installment in the series.

Also if you like a more fantasy setting sometimes The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, while 3 years old already, is an outstanding action RPG with a completely open world and a couple hundred ours of content. The Game of the Year Edition also has the expansion which adds 20+ hours of new content and a new landmass and questlines.

It's worth noting though, that while the PS3 versions of either game are more than worth the price, if you have a modern computer you might want to pick up the PC version instead of the PS3 version. They both have a PC-exclusive construction set that essentially extends the length of the game indefinitely because of the sheer amount of high-quality user-made content.

Uncharted and Bioshock are excellent choices and you can get both for the price of a new game.

Look into Dead Space for a great single player survival horror experience, and Mirror's Edge deserves at least a rental (as much as I love MEdge, it's too short and polarizing to warrant a full price expenditure). DMC4 & NGS for the action oriented fix as mentioned above and Valkyria Chronicles if you've ever liked SRPGs.

Of the ones you specifically mention I'd go with RE5 because, well, I'm a RE fan... and five of my friends are getting it too, so I've been under a lot of peer pressure for coop action. But I'll surrender to this particular siren call seeing how incredibly fun the cooperative is.

No matter what you choose, make sure to look into second hand deals so you're left with a spare $10 for Flower :3

Uncharted, Devil May Cry 4, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma are all good suggestions, and I was looking to buy them in the future, but luckily I don't have to because a good friend of mine owns and has finished all three of those so I could get them at any time. I've played a bit of each of those and certainly wouldn't mind playing the full version sometime in the future.

Funny that you mention Shadow of the Colossus and Okami, Blur. Shadow of the Colossus is still sitting in my collection of lovely PS2 games that I've played to death whereas Okami is sitting at my friend's house. Loved those games. I'm even one of the lucky ones who snagged a copy of Beyond Good and Evil. Trust me, I know about the treasure trove of games for the PS2 that are worth picking up. :3

I can't believe I forgot about Bioshock. I've definitely heard about it being a great FPS experience, so I'll consider looking at that again.

Mirror's Edge is on the short side? Well that's a little disappointing. I guess I'll just rent it like you said. That was another game I had interest in I forgot about.

Remy: I have some pals to play Street Fighter IV with, but I'm not too sure I'll get into it. I've played it for a while and didn't like it too much. I hate to sound arrogant but it just seems.. too slow. D: I've been playing a lot of fighting games lately (Just in the mood to kick people's ass I guess) and Street Fighter IV just seems so slow and boring in comparison to the others.

While my friend and I were playing it, we ended up saying 'Forget it, put Tatsunoko VS Capcom back in!' as bad as that sounds. Hell, part of the reason why I made this topic so I could make the right choice for a game to play until the home versions of BlazBlue and King of Fighters XII come out. Hell yes, I can't wait.

Cipher: I would get the PC versions of a lot of games if I could, but the truth is, my computer's just not up to it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Keep them coming! :D

Uncharted is magnificent, I was amazed at how good it actually was, and how colourful it is whilst still looking realistic. It's quite cheap now what with it being a platinum title.

I have Bioshock and... well... it's good... but there are better FPS out there... but theres nothing that has an atmosphere like Bioshock.

Fallout 3 is pretty good apparently but a bit short.

Complete rubbish. Fallout 3 will take you a week and a bit to do if you do not have a guide to hand and aim to get 100% completion, even then theres a ton of side quests and things to explore that do not count towards 100%.

Fallout 3 is a very good choice, however it does have a LOT of bugs and this is across all releases, some consoles have unique bugs to match! But it is 100% completable, so theres no worry there. A word of warning with Fallout 3... do not get the PC version... go onto the fallout 3 forums and read some of the technical issues it has... it sounds broken beyond repair.

Valkyria Chronicles is another stunning little title, it may not be to your tastes so I'd have a look on the PSN and see if theres a demo.

But one thing. With the games you listed, they're all very popular big sellers, as a consequence they'll get a lot of second hand copies... resulting in a big price drop at a quick rate. So I'd try to avoid those titles for now.

Or... wait until the end of March when we get Red Alert 3.

Mirror's Edge is on the short side? Well that's a little disappointing. I guess I'll just rent it like you said. That was another game I had interest in I forgot about.

Mirrors edge is short... but if you plan on going for platinum... it'll take you a week at the most. Those time trial challenges are utterly brutal at times.

Edited by Casanova

Bioshock is a fantastic game, it's a great immersive FPS with some fun gameplay elements that might not be new, but are still extremely fun to this day. The art style is fantastic, with all the art deco posters and whatnot around you, and you'll find yourself playing the game multiple times to get new endings, get achievements you missed, to play it a way you haven't before, and just because it's a fantastic game that you want to play again.

Fallout 3 I wouldn't suggest based off of my own experience, but a lot of people seem to like it so it isn't exactly a "bad" game critically speaking. It's drab environments and clunky gameplay weren't my cup of tea, but they might be yours if you think that the amount of overall game content is more important than the quality of an actual game.

There are some good games you might be able to get on the PSN, I'm not 100% sure, I have a 360 but you can look these up if you want to. Bionic Commando: Rearmed and Castle Crashers. Bionic Commando: Rearmed is a remake of the NES hit Bionic Commando. The funny thing is I went into this game expecting archaic controls and dated gameplay, but this is nothing like anything I've played before. The game is a platformer that you get from platform to platform not by jumping, but by grappling onto objects. You can imagine how hard the game can get, especially because it's a Capcom game. The graphics are fantastic with great looking colorful environments, and the music is catchy and cool. The game will take you about a week to beat, but there are lots of side quests and mini-missions to complete that are absolutely frustrating, in a good way. Capcom know how to make a hard game fun.

Castle Crashers is an old-school beat 'em up that plays like any classic beat 'em up game would play, with extra depth. There are over 40 weapons, tons of levels to conquer, a 99 level-cap, 4-player co-op, and a decently lengthed story-mode with an extra hard mode to play after you've beaten it on normal. The game should last you a while, and there is now DLC to buy on XBLA/PSN called the "King Pack", which allows you to play as the King among other characters, you also get new weapons as well. I'm not sure if this is on PSN, sadly, but you can check.

I just remembered to mention that if you do buy Fallout 3, make sure you're expecting an action RPG because a fair amount of people have gone into it expecting a straight-up shooter and have been disappointed with the game.

Complete rubbish. Fallout 3 will take you a week and a bit to do if you do not have a guide to hand and aim to get 100% completion, even then theres a ton of side quests and things to explore that do not count towards 100%.

Fallout 3 is a very good choice, however it does have a LOT of bugs and this is across all releases, some consoles have unique bugs to match! But it is 100% completable, so theres no worry there. A word of warning with Fallout 3... do not get the PC version... go onto the fallout 3 forums and read some of the technical issues it has... it sounds broken beyond repair.

Well like I said I was going on hearsay from friends there so thanks for correcting me, it's good to know Bethesda put a decent amount of content in. I wasn't aware of the PC version's issues though but just looked at the official help forum for it and I gotta say I can't believe Bethesda would even think of putting a game out that is that horribly broken. Just totally unacceptable from what is supposed to be a big name developer. Looks like Fallout 3 is their new Daggerfall (which got called Buggerfall by fans for it's sheer amount of bugs).

Edited by Cipher