Awoo.

The Dimps topic.

Chaos Incarnate

img-top-en-20081009.jpg

We all know who they are. Probably one of the most controversial and touchy aspects of the Sonic franchise, what are your overall thoughts on them as of right now and their approach to Sonic games?

Let's a little more than a decade ago with Sonic Advance. Dimps made their big debut here, and is the true Sonic 4 IMO: the physics feel closest to the classics with no major gimmicks and it added another playable character into the mix, Amy. They followed up on the Advance series with two sequels and moved on with the Rush series, which I can't really speak for as I haven't played them yet, but people were quite positive toward them at the time, and *GASP* dare I say it, prefer their Sonic titles for a while over Sonic Team's.

Flash forward years later and we get Sonic 4. While critical reception toward Episode 1 was relatively positive, it's very controversial among fans and critics turned on it with Episode 2.

My main problem with Dimps is that a lot of their games I've played just scream "rehash". I enjoy Advance 1 and 3, but it seems like all of their games reuse the same tropes. I am looking forward to trying the Rush series and Lost World 3DS, as they seem to be the most experimental handheld Sonic games.

So, just consider this a general Dimps discussion and how you feel about them. Sorry if it's a bit of a touchy subject, but I'm interested in hearing everyone's responses. 

Edited by Chaos Incarnate
  • Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, I don't really understand what the big deal about Dimps is about.

I personally enjoyed the Rush and Advance series, and Sonic Battle. Even Colors DS (to an extent; didn't find it too replayable).

Of course, I have no experience with Sonic 4 or Generations 3DS, but still.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I didn't find them that bad. Then again I like most of the games in the series anyway.unsure.png  But I liked the three advance games, I liked rush(never played rush adventure but I heard it was really good). Sonic 4 ep 1 and 2 is sorta of meh to ok for a first run for me. Never really wanted to go back to either of those. Never played colors ds, generations ds gets a mixed reaction out of me, and I'm looking forward to trying lost world on 3ds. 

I personally enjoyed the Rush and Advance series, and Sonic Battle. Even Colors DS (to an extent; didn't find it too replayable).

Battle was made by Sonic Team, not Dimps. I'm also going to say that the people who worked in Pocket Adventure didn't go on to form Dimps, and only a single person from Dimps worked on Unleashed Wii (he took the role of lead daytime level designer, and hasnt returned for any Sonic game since).

Dimps games basically show a massive lack of understanding in what makes Sonic games any good. While the Advance series is good, the quality of them went downhill when Dimps tried to put their own stamp on it with Advance 2 and 3. Then Rush came along and They hit their stride with an interesting new Sonic game, but again they couldn't keep it up by the time Colours came around.

Sonic 4 is just plain awful. We all know that. So are Generations and Lost World on 3DS. They bloody well need to do away with the atrocity that is the Rush engine before they can even begin to get things right again.

EDIT: Please excuse typos. I'm at work, on my phone and desperately trying not to fall asleep.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I've honestly enjoyed every DIMPS-developed Sonic game, bar Sonic 4 as I haven't really played it.  That game does make me wonder how they could have such a track record for making good games and then, on the game that will probably get them the most attention, they royally fuck it up.  Not even saying Sonic 4 is bad, but just by watching videos on YouTube, you can see that it's clearly not the Sonic title it was meant to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dimps has always had a pretty good understanding of how to make fun, innovative and interesting handheld experiences. The Advance and Rush series were the "last leg" of the franchise for god knows how many years. That should tell you all you need to know right there.

The real problem with this developer came when they were asked to bend their handheld experiences into something they never should have been. Colors and Gens DS were poor mans efforts to their home console counterparts and a good deal of the creativity and charm of Dimps previous portable efforts went right down the drain alongside the quality of those titles.

While Lost World 3DS looks a little bit better in that department, only time will tell for that one. Sonic 4 is its own problem...

I think a lot of people would be a lot happier with Dimps moving forward if they got back to doing what worked best for them. Building up standalone adventures that didn't have to stand in the shadows or emulate something with a much larger budget.

For the record, I'd kill for Sonic Rush 3.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, I've honestly enjoyed every DIMPS-developed Sonic game, bar Sonic 4 as I haven't really played it.  That game does make me wonder how they could have such a track record for making good games and then, on the game that will probably get them the most attention, they royally fuck it up.  Not even saying Sonic 4 is bad, but just by watching videos on YouTube, you can see that it's clearly not the Sonic title it was meant to be.

The tl;dr is that Dimps took an engine that was built almost purely for boost spam (during which the majority of its flaws aren't noticable - you can do some pretty stupid shit, but only if you actually stop and exploit it deliberately), and used it for games with no boosting whatsoever, allowing its shortcomings to come to light through relatively basic gameplay. The biggest problem among them is that Sonic rarely had inertia beyond the boost in Dimps games, but they never thought to adapt when they lost the one thing that could hide it.

Edited by Blacklightning
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 4 is just plain awful. We all know that. 

Speak for yourself, please. *actually likes Sonic 4*

• Thumbs Up 4

Speak for yourself, please. *actually likes Sonic 4*

Well if you want to be pedantic about it, "Sonic 4 is widely considered to be awful amongst the fan base, and even those that disagree are aware of the reasons why it's the case".

Happy now?

• Thumbs Up 2

Dimps games basically show a massive lack of understanding in what makes Sonic games any good.

Dimps was the only one that understood what made a Sonic game any good at the time Sonic Team was busy trying to shoehorn guns, team gameplay, shitty plots, Sonic 06, alternate gameplay, and swords.

The only exceptionally 'bad' game I can say really is Sonic 4. Sonic Generations 3DS maybe but I can let it go because it was obviously rushed for release. Sonic Gens 3DS wasn't too bad, I enjoyed the online.

• Thumbs Up 3

I really enjoyed the Advance and Rush games, and don't remember Colours DS too well, but everything after that has been far from amazing.  Advance 1-3 were pretty much your only option for classic-styled Sonic games and did everything you'd expect sequels to the classics to do - roughly classic-based gameplay, 1 and 2 each introduced a new playable character while 3 built on the co-op system, they had some fairly original zone ideas which slotted in with the themes of the classics.  Rush did something exciting and new and Rush Adventure built on it with some decent writing and plotting.  Whether or not their present limitations already existed at that time, it wasn't so obvious because there was nothing else like it on the market at the time.  However, in the past few years, Dimps have basically been used to outsource lesser versions of console games - the handheld versions of the major titles and the highly derivative Sonic 4.  With so much less originality to their content and the ideas they're using growing stale, it's a lot easier to see the worst in them, especially with titles like Generations 3DS being so obviously rushed.

We have to remember, though, that they are very closely overseen by Sonic Team; they are not working in a vacuum here and their flaws are not just their own.  I'll reiterate what I've said about Dimps a few times before, which is that I won't make my final judgement on them until they're allowed to produce their own spin-off again with a certain amount of freedom that's been lacking in the past few years as they've been set to slave on such derivative material.  ...I guess it would be hypocritical of me to criticise that and then say I want a Sonic Rush 3, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Battle was made by Sonic Team, not Dimps. I'm also going to say that the people who worked in Pocket Adventure didn't go on to form Dimps, and only a single person from Dimps worked on Unleashed Wii (he took the role of lead daytime level designer, and hasnt returned for any Sonic game since).

Dimps games basically show a massive lack of understanding in what makes Sonic games any good. While the Advance series is good, the quality of them went downhill when Dimps tried to put their own stamp on it with Advance 2 and 3. Then Rush came along and They hit their stride with an interesting new Sonic game, but again they couldn't keep it up by the time Colours came around.

Sonic 4 is just plain awful. We all know that. So are Generations and Lost World on 3DS. They bloody well need to do away with the atrocity that is the Rush engine before they can even begin to get things right again.

EDIT: Please excuse typos. I'm at work, on my phone and desperately trying not to fall asleep.

IIRC some of the people listed in the credits for Pocket Adventure did become members of Dimps though.

I like most of the Sonic games Dimps has made. Sonic Advance and Advance 2 are awesome, Rush is good, Rush Adventure is OK, and Colours DS is good. I liked the first episode of Sonic 4, and the second one was decent. While Episode 2 played good, it had shit music and special stages, dickish level design and one of the worst endings in a Sonic game.

I don't know about Generations 3DS though, but I assume it's not very good.

Edited by SonicDude

These days, I'd like to see DIMPS make another original Sonic game that isn't a port, little brother counterpart, or Sonic 4, to see if they still have it in them.

Those always seemed to be what they were best at (Sonic Advance 2 notwithstanding), although I did enjoy Colors DS, skipped Generations 3DS and have yet to obtain Lost World 3DS.

...I tried to hold back from this topic, but I can't.

*sigh* Dimps. Herp de derp DIMPS.

Let's start from the top.

250px-Sonic_Advance_Coverart.png

Sonic Advance is... okay. I don't think it's nearly as good as most make it out to be though-- I find a lot of the level design to be slow, clunky and sometimes just plain confusing and repetitive. I will give this game credit for its amazing music (ICE MOUNTAIN ACT 2 MARRY ME <3), the fact that Dimps' speed booster fetish was at its minimum and the well thought uses for all four playable characters.

Sonic_Advance_2_Coverart.png

Sonic Advance 2 is where things began to go noticeably downhill. Hot Crater has some of the worst and unimaginative level design in the series and the bosses just suck. I've replayed this game recently and not even Music Plant (my favourite zone in the game) appeals to me much anymore.

OH. AND ICE PARADISE. The beginning of Dimps' never-ending stretched out bottomless pit obsession. That zone can rot in hell for all eternity. Sky Canyon can go do the goddamn same.

If there's one thing I can really congratulate Advance 2 for, it's for introducing Cream to the franchise and its large amount of replayability (too bad the special stages suck ass). And yes, I actually like Cream.

Sonic_Advance_3_Coverart.png

Now this is where everyone started having a hivemind for Dimps-- however, I personally love this game. It reuses the classic tag-team feature originally from Knuckles' Chaotix, and redesigns it into a method that isn't shitty and doesn't make you feel sick every 10 seconds. I also find this game to have some of the best level tropes the franchise has seen-- come on, you can't get better than freakin' CYBER TRACK. You just can't.

Sadly, Dimps started gaining an obsession for speed boosters around this time... however, it had reached nowhere near its limit yet.

Sonic_Rush_Coverart.png

...Sometimes I sit down and ask myself why I like this game.

It's cheap. The physics are pretty bad. The bosses are long and drawn out as fuck, mostly consisting of sections that are like "na na nana na i'm in the background you cant hit me na na nana na". The level design is full of speed boosters, springs and bottomless pits (LOOKING RIGHT AT YOU, ALTITUDE LIMIT) like Dimps is famous for these days. Literally the only two things that stop me from hating this game with all of my heart are how the boost covers up for the terrible physics and boosters, along with Hideki Naganuma's surreal and absolutely amazing soundtrack. Overall, I think Rush is... okay. It's not good, but it's not entirely bad, either.

Sonic_Rush_Adventure.jpg

This is easily Dimps' peak for me.

This is easily the only Dimps game I can praise of finding its own identity and doing it successfully.

Sonic Rush Adventure is one of my favourite games in the franchise and the only Dimps game that I can return to by will and not feel forced in doing so. The ships are well-executed and have rather exciting gameplay in my opinion, and while they are filler, they don't feel that tacked on to me. I legitimately have fun and sometimes travel to islands instead of using the level select to play the minigames. I'm also one of the... I dunno, 3 people in the world who actually like Marine. Her hyper personality is something that I'd really love to see get built upon, but sadly, that may never happen... 

If there's one thing I can criticize about Rush Adventure, it's the grinding for materials. Most of the time, however, I don't mind it as I find the level design in this game to be fun and easy to wrap your head around.

...We all know what's next...

sonic_4_episode_1.jpg

tumblr_l98rnxdzas1qcllyho1_400.gif

FUCK THIS GAME AND ALL THAT STANDS FOR IT.

despise Sonic 4. I just hate nearly every single tiny little fraction of this piece of shit, it's easily, to me, the worst game to 'grace' the franchise.

Let's begin with the most common criticism. The game's infamous "physics".

Before the game was released, Ken Balough stated several times the game would feature "perfect momentum-based platforming, one-to-one to the Genesis games."

Oh, really, Mr. Balough?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxILQFLmnmI

REALLY?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlqTd_VBeKY

REALLY!?

Sonic 4's physics are entirely broken. They may be incredibly similar to Rush, but at least Rush wasn't trying to be one of the classics and had the boost to cover it up. In this, you have nothing to hide the fact that this game's physics are nothing but atrocious. Rolling doesn't work, you can walk up walls but not spindash, you can run through a speed booster without pressing the D-pad just to have your momentum break in less than a second, in a nutshell, this game's physics are completely broken. So what does Dimps do to try and cover it up? Speed boosters.

Every single act of Sonic 4 is cluttered to the brim with speed boosters and springs, forcing you ahead their way instead of doing it the classic way like you'd expect to do in a game calling itself Sonic the Hedgehog 4. There are several instances where the springs don't even need to be there. They don't speed you up, they don't send you to a higher area, literally their only service is to go "BWING BWING BWING FWOOSH".

The homing attack has also been added, giving Dimps a shitty excuse to plaster chains of Bubbles from Sonic 3 all over the place. This design choice heavily breaks your flow and does not help you in the slightest. For people saying they're all optional, they're not. Most are plastered over stretched out pits, forcing you to homing attack to reach the other side.

also the game looks like plastic and the bosses are unoriginal but ive raged enough next

I personally haven't played Colors DS, so I'm gonna move onto the next Dimps experience...

ht_sonic_generations_dm_111221_wg.jpg

...Okay, I think my armour is ready...

*deep breath* I like this game.

Classic's physics are much closer to the Genesis games than the HD version and I find every level (sans you Radical Highway, fuck off) to be similar to Rush Adventure; simple, but explorative, yet easy to wrap your head around. I don't love the game, but I'm gonna be honest-- I don't understand the people who claim this to be worse than 06 in the slightest.

sonichedgehog4ep2logoby1.png

...Meh...

I love the soundtrack and I love the way the game looks... but everything else is still problematic like in Episode 1. Level design is even worse, with SEVERAL instances in Sky Fortress where there are pointless springs along with that section of Oil Desert 2 when discussing speed boosters. The game looks better... but it doesn't play better, and the tacked on co-op with Tails doesn't make things much better-- I'd say it's only a titchy bit better than Episode 1, personally.

...I haven't played much of Lost World 3DS, so I can't speak for that yet. But all in all... that's my thoughts on Dimps. They were meh, became average, are meh now and probably always will be meh.

• Thumbs Up 8

I think these pictures I made a year ago sum up my feelings of (post-2010!)Dimps.

diiiiiiiiiiimps__by_yeow95-d5m4xqs.png

diiiiiiiiiiimps_2_by_yeow95-d5m4zeq.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Ah... Dimps. Years ago, people used to like these more than Sonic Team but now it is more of a meh.

Out of the Dimps Sonic games that I have played (Sonic Advance, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, Sonic Colours DS, Sonic 4, Sonic Generations 3DS), have enjoyed Sonic Advance and the Rush trilogy the most since Sonic Colours DS is kinda of Sonic Rush 3.

Sonic Advance was a good first try from Dimps (debatable whether Dimps actually did do Sonic Pocket Adventure or whether it was SNK staff that later became Dimps) considering before it was Aspect who did the handheld Sonic games. While the game felt a bit slower due to inexperience; the physics were pretty good, graphics and sound were good for an early GBA title and the game felt like a hybrid of classic Sonic (plus a couple of bosses) but with some of the qualities of Modern Sonic (character design). Apart from the bonus stages where it is hard to judge the perspective of the character, the level design seemed solid. Really enjoyed the game.

For some reason skipped Sonic Advance 2 and 3, so went straight towards Sonic Rush. At the time I found it to be enjoyable, however it was years ago since I have played the game. First things first the level design wasn't very good. The game had lots of bottomless pits that required using the boost often and seemed to have designed around it however the non-pit parts seem okay. Controls are pretty good and I can see why Sonic Team later used the boost mechanic in Unleashed/Generations. Graphics were okay even though the 2D graphics were better than the 3D models, the music is different and is listenable. The special stages are the tried and tested Sonic 2 running in a tube ones that were later used in Sonic Colours DS.

I consider Sonic Rush Adventure to be their best Sonic game due to that Dimps not only learnt some lessons but also felt different in feeling compared to much of the series due to the maritime setting of the game that is put into good use. The level design is much improved due to less bottomless pits, the 3D graphics have also improved making the game look great on the DS (the DS wasn't the best when it comes to 3D graphics), the music I found it quite catchy and the special stages/vehicle stages are all completely enjoyable with the Submarine being the weakest. Personally the jetski stage should have made into a spinoff and would have made a decent game out of it. The two new bosses Johnny and Whisker both have personality and surprised that they haven't returned.

As for Sonic Colours DS, it was still a good game but more forgotten compared to its Wii companion. The graphics I personally find the best in the "Rush trilogy" in terms of the 2D side plus there are less 3D graphics used and more 2D graphics with a lovely style making the game age less and the level design seems okay. Music is pretty much the same as the Wii version as in that I really liked it but it sounds more chiptuney so while myself like it just as much there are people who don't like chiptune so it might seem like a setback. It doesn't seem as polished as Rush Adventure though but it isn't buggy compared to the next Dimps games. The story does seem a bit different compared to the Wii version due to the addition of other Sonic characters in the game (e.g. Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Silver, Rouge).

Sonic 4 is a mixed bag, the level design especially at Episode 1 uses too much of the Bubbles badniks and Sonic has to home attack to get up mechanic however that is a case of object placement and the programming of the physics on Episode 1 weren't very good at all (at least it didn't crash the game). Looking at the credits, it shows that Dimps have outsourced this game to different developing studios when Sonic Advance 1 got it more closer to the classics from one person. While the game is pretty much Emerald Hill + Casino Night + Labyrinth + Metropolis Zones, did somehow manage to enjoy the game, way more if it was better programmed, level design tweaks and had better object placement. Episode 2 has better programming and the graphics are actually good for a downloadable title however the level design doesn't have as much flow plus it gets quite nasty and the music while better composed isn't as memoriable as the cheesy Episode 1 soundtrack.

Generations 3DS actually felt okay physics wise however I found the game pretty buggy and even getting stuck inside the scenery a couple of times. Most of the Classic Sonic stages (except the Dreamcast era ones) did seem to be copy and paste level designs from the original games however did manage to improve even though the last stage kept dying near the end of the stage with the rails. The presentation also seemed very barebones compared to the main version but the graphics were quite nice even though the 3D effect isn't as noticeable. Music is pretty good especially the Sonic 3 boss. At least there is a good thing about this game, the Sonic Heroes special stages are much better in this game than in Sonic Heroes due to not being glitchy. It is a shame that the game seemed rushed otherwise I would have really enjoyed this game (more than I have which is a bit) and put it more closer to the HD version.

Judging by the shift from Rush Adventure to being the B-team of the mainline Sonic games, I wonder if the staff at Dimps enjoy the games that they make since looking at the later games it doesn't seem that they do or as much. There is a difference between making an original game and making a port or a handheld version of a game.

Not a Sonic game but I did enjoy Spikeout: Battlestreet that Dimps did even if it is sort of like a very hard 3D Streets of Rage beat em up type game. Then again wasn't Dimps founded by the same people who invented Street Fighter and later went to SNK so they must know a thing of two regarding fighting?

I think my enjoyment of the Dimps-developed Sonic games I've played is as thus:

S4E2 > Rush = S4E1 (except the music where Rush trumps E1) > Advance 3 (the surprise hazards really pissed me off in this one, as did the bosses).

Well if you want to be pedantic about it, "Sonic 4 is widely considered to be awful amongst the fan base, and even those that disagree are aware of the reasons why it's the case".

Happy now?

Yes. Thank you.

Edited by Deathcrybe

Ah, good ol' Dimps! I honestly do not have a problem with them most of the time. I recently played all the Advance games for the first time and I personally enjoyed them, I even consider them the modern equivalent to the classic series. They do have their problems but I had a very fun time playing them especially Advance 3. Rush was meh for me, level design was pretty bland and the story wasn't all too great. But it's music was pretty wacky and upbeat! Rush Adventure vastly improves everything on Rush, level design was very good, music had a very nice feel to it and the story was pretty good for a handheld. Colors DS was pretty fun too, the story was sort of better than the Wii version, Burst and Void were some the best Colour Powers I had ever used and it's overall a very fun game. I haven't played Generations 3DS and just started Pocket Adventure, so I can't really say much about those games. I almost forgot, Sonic 4! Episode 1 was also pretty meh as well, music was alright but it was uninteresting for me. Episode 2 did better and I actually had a good time with it but with all automation really kills the enthusiasm for me  but the graphics were pretty good and I liked the music (Gotta love them dying ducks *quack* XD). So yeah I enjoyed Dimps' games overall can't wait to get my hands on Lost World 3DS!

I honestly do not mind them. I enjoyed Chronicles; I loved the Advance series; I adored Rush; Sonic 4 was meh. I haven't played Gens on 3DS, but I want to; I also can't wait to play Lost World on 3DS. Tbph their only beef with me is Sonic 4.

I honestly do not mind them. I enjoyed Chronicles; I loved the Advance series; I adored Rush; Sonic 4 was meh. I haven't played Gens on 3DS, but I want to; I also can't wait to play Lost World on 3DS. Tbph their only beef with me is Sonic 4.

Chronicles was made by Bioware, not Dimps.

• Thumbs Up 1

Chronicles was made by Bioware, not Dimps.

Ah, my bad. I sometimes see Chronicles being attributed to Dimps; I must have gotten Bioware and Dimps mixed up. Thanks for reminding me.

I like Dimps.

Not even going to lie. I've never liked Advance because it's chunky and lacks the kind of thrilling speed I expect in the series. The sequel is speedier, but I find the boss battles to be a chore. The idea is neat, but I cannot handle that timing. Music Plant Zone is absolutely stunning though. If you can't respect Dimps for anything else, give them credit for that masterpiece.

NOW ADVANCE 3? THAT WAS MY JAM. I've spent endless hours playing that game on my GBA as a teen. I know people hate the game, but I find it superior than the others. It CAN be cheap (Chaos Angel Act 3 is downlight mean), but I have too much fun playing it to be bothered! The team mechanic (which was better than what they did in heroes if you ask me), the levels design, and THE MUSIC. MY GOD. SONIC ADVANCE 3'S MUSIC. One of my favorite soundtracks in the series! Chaos Angel, Cyber Track, Twinkle Snow, Ocean Base, there are just so many golden tracks!!!

When it came to the Rush games, I felt they were another grand entry in the series. Yeah, they're about speeding, but I have always liked that in Sonic! Boosting is endlessly fun, even if it can be mindless. Also, the first Rush has this crazy, funky style that I've never seen in another Sonic game. The music, level title screens, results screen, tricks... it's got this flair that's uniquely Sonic Rush! I loved the sequel more, but it's lacking that coolness in the first game.

Colors? Hell yes!! I was one of the few that enjoyed Colors DS more than its Wii counterpart. It is Rush with wisps instead of tricks, but it was enjoyable. Also, those special stages are like crack.

Sonic 4 ep 1 (Never bothered with ep 2) and Generations 3DS were dreadful. It's easily apparent that Generations was a rush job, but that is not an excuse. If you're going to celebrate two decades, but effort in both of your anniversary titles.

I haven't had a chance to play Lost World 3DS, but I'm looking forward to it! I like what Dimps do!

• Thumbs Up 2