Awoo.

Speculation Thread: The Third Wii U Exclusive Sonic Title

Narukami07

Any thoughts that come to your mind on what it could be?

I think it might be another mainline game from the Unleashed/Generations time, give or take.....

Edited by Narukami07

I doubt its another mainline game since sega did just do lost world, I think it might be another spin-off title.

I doubt its another mainline game since sega did just do lost world, I think it might be another spin-off title.

Sega also finished Colors too from about three years ago (2010), and the year after that, it didn't stop them from releasing Generations HD.

Wasn't there a post from Sumo on twitter saying there gonna be a racing crossover with Sonic?

If that is all there will be,

I don't know what to do.

If that is all there will be,

I don't know what to do.

Well, this is a Speculation Thread

So just Speculate.

Edited by KaBlamJamDan
  • Thumbs Up 1

They won't release another main title on the Wii U this soon after Lost World. The Colours team have just finished Lost World, leaving the main team working on who knows what (possibly a PS4/XOne game or a Wii U game for 2015), Sumo Digital will be focusing on their next SEGA multiplayer, but what about the Sonic Riders team? Could they have been working on a Wii U exclusive that makes use of the Wii U controller? Who knows.

Actually wouldn't mind a Sonic X Mario Kart game from Sumo. They're more than competent in the racing department, and i've preferred their efforts to the Mario Kart franchise for some time now.

Personally though, after Lost World's Mario Galaxy inspired design and fine tuning in Sonic's controls, I have a hunch they may actually head towards that Sonic X Mario platformer we dreamed of during the last 4 Olympic games. 

Edited by Son-icka

They won't release another main title on the Wii U this soon after Lost World. The Colours team have just finished Lost World, leaving the main team working on who knows what (possibly a PS4/XOne game or a Wii U game for 2015), Sumo Digital will be focusing on their next SEGA multiplayer, but what about the Sonic Riders team? Could they have been working on a Wii U exclusive that makes use of the Wii U controller? Who knows.

There won't be one for the XB1/PS4 yet until the third sonic wii U exclusive releases, which is expected to be announced next year i believe. With that said, it could be anything else too.

Edited by Narukami07

Wasn't there a post from Sumo on twitter saying there gonna be a racing crossover with Sonic?

I still think this will never happen (at least this year) because Mario Kart 8 is a big title. Nintendo isn't going to partner to create back to back kart racers in the same year.

The Colours team have just finished Lost World, leaving the main team working on who knows what

IIRC, they don't have a "colors" team anymore. It's all one team. I think they said that splitting up Sonic Team was one of the reasons for his quality drop so they put it back together into one team during Sonic Generations.

I still think this will never happen (at least this year) because Mario Kart 8 is a big title. Nintendo isn't going to partner to create back to back kart racers in the same year.

IIRC, they don't have a "colors" team anymore. It's all one team. I think they said that splitting up Sonic Team was one of the reasons for his quality drop so they put it back together into one team during Sonic Generations.

Blue Blood kind of debunked this theory though.

Compared (though not in that much detail), the people mentioned in the credits. Apparently most of the names lined up with those from the credits of Colours, with few names from Unleashed HD or Generations.

There probably is still a development split, with a major and minor team, to allow for more efficient production of Sonic games. More development time for each game, while still being able to pump out games on an almost yearly basis. Plus they have Sumo for the odd spinoff they want to do.

Anyway. I reckon that the Major team is working on a cross-platform Gen 8 game, rather than the 3rd exclusive, though I could be wrong. Rumours of a Sonic vs Mario, kart racing game made by Sumo are circulating, which if true, would probably lead my hypothesis to be correct.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm thinking there might either be another Riders game or a Direct Sequel to Lost World.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mainstream platformer, spinoff, spinoff?

Gooood..... Gooooooooooood.......

It's not a racing crossover with Mario; if it we're, MK8 would not be what it was revealed as.

My guess is Episode 3 (urgh), a console version of Rush, or a Storybook title. I have a hunch Dimps will be involved.

admittedly, if it was Sonic Shuffle 2 that would be pretty darned cool.... or sonic the fighters 2 XD if made by the arcade division of course

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

There won't be one for the XB1/PS4 yet until the third sonic wii U exclusive releases, which is expected to be announced next year i believe. With that said, it could be anything else too.

Right, so the exclusive is released in 2014 ending the three game exclusive with Nintendo, meaning the PS4/XOne game will be released in 2015. Doesn't mean they can't already be working on it.

If Sumo aren't working on a racing game and something different entirely, then I can see this being a new Sonic Riders (which apparently Sonic Free Riders sold well?).

Edited by Octodad

Right, so the exclusive is released in 2014 ending the three game exclusive with Nintendo, meaning the PS4/XOne game will be released in 2015. Doesn't mean they can't already be working on it.

If Sumo aren't working on a racing game and something different entirely, then I can see this being a new Sonic Riders (which apparently Sonic Free Riders sold well?).

It was a barely playable train wreck due to motion controls

Also just due to the exclusivity deal ending then, doesnt mean they wont renew it, or that the next game wont also come to the wii-u

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

Also just due to the exclusivity deal ending then, doesnt mean they wont renew it, or that the next game wont also come to the wii-u

Sorry, I should have included Wii U in the 2015 release. I was just going off the old routine of Wii (U) gets one game, PS3/X360 get the other. My bad.

Blue Blood kind of debunked this theory though.

It wasn't a theory - Iizuka literally said it out of his mouth.

Odd that it seems it's not exactly true.

Sorry, I should have included Wii U in the 2015 release. I was just going off the old routine of Wii (U) gets one game, PS3/X360 get the other. My bad.

Its fine, I know its habit, but it does annoy me a bit, especialy since the Wii-u isnt that less capable than the PS4/Xbone, and I highly doubt Sega would be willing to lose any potential profit by not porting it to the platform ran by the company who tends to sell the most of their games

I'd want Sonic Adventure 3. Playing Lost World, I gotta say I'm not a fan of this new style, so I'd rather they go back to Sonic's Adventure gameplay. The other characters just shouldn't play too differently this time.

I could actually see it happening, unlike everyone else.

• Thumbs Up 4