Awoo.

Speculation Thread: The Third Wii U Exclusive Sonic Title

Narukami07

Sadly, is that part of our lifes again. Games we like will start coming to next gen consoles that most of us can't afford at time. I remember the days when the sequels for franchises I like started to come to the PS2, while I only had the PS1. :/ I still think the PS3/360 have a long road, but I think SEGA will move Sonic to the next gen ASAP.

Sadly, is that part of our lifes again. Games we like will start coming to next gen consoles that most of us can't afford at time. I remember the days when the sequels for franchises I like started to come to the PS2, while I only had the PS1. :/ I still think the PS3/360 have a long road, but I think SEGA will move Sonic to the next gen ASAP.

it already has with the Wii-u

It was a barely playable train wreck due to motion controls

Also just due to the exclusivity deal ending then, doesnt mean they wont renew it, or that the next game wont also come to the wii-u

This I think is the far more interesting question. The Wii U isn't really doing that hot ATM, and Lost World seems to be only selling OK, and may only match Generations on a best- case scenario. Granted it may make sense to put in Sonic as a Ninty exclusive, but the PS4 and Xbox One have tons of hype behind them, with Sony boasting well over a million preorders, and analysts set to have them both selling out over the holidays.

So, should SEGA keep Sonic on Wii U and hope the install base, which has already shown an affinity for Sonic with ASRT sales, gets up to respectable levels, or go in with PS4/Xbone and fill what could be a niche in a almost assuredly larger audience?

For me I believe the game will either be a sequel to the boost gameplay of Sonic Generations (if what I've read is true about the Generations staff not working on this game) or Sonic Lost World. 

Blue Blood kind of debunked this theory though.

Compared (though not in that much detail), the people mentioned in the credits. Apparently most of the names lined up with those from the credits of Colours, with few names from Unleashed HD or Generations.

There probably is still a development split, with a major and minor team, to allow for more efficient production of Sonic games. More development time for each game, while still being able to pump out games on an almost yearly basis.

KaRd4.gif

save my soul unleashed team I'm counting on you

• Thumbs Up 1

Can I get a Sonic Riders 4

or a Sonic Rush 3?

Hell, a new Sonic fighter is up there on my most wanted list too.

Edited by Christopher the Thorndyke
  • Thumbs Up 3

I don't know why, but I think it's gonna be a party game. Do not know if want.

There's already a new Mario Party game coming our way.

I'd want Sonic Adventure 3. Playing Lost World, I gotta say I'm not a fan of this new style, so I'd rather they go back to Sonic's Adventure gameplay. The other characters just shouldn't play too differently this time.

I could actually see it happening, unlike everyone else.

Sonic Adventure is already out, remember Sonic 06? :P

Lost World's style is almost as close as it can get to Adventure's style in terms of mechanics (not entirely the same, but not too far off if Sega ditches the sphere-like level designs. Which is probably a given). They should take what works well from the game and polish it up instead of ditching it, as for other characters i think Tails, Knuckles, and maybe Amy are enough for now.

Sorry if i went off topic a bit.

So, should SEGA keep Sonic on Wii U and hope the install base, which has already shown an affinity for Sonic with ASRT sales, gets up to respectable levels, or go in with PS4/Xbone and fill what could be a niche in a almost assuredly larger audience?

Or they'll just support all three of them like they did with GC/PS2/Xbox two gens ago, which is probably a given. Sega and Nintendo are BFFs but its not like they're under contract to PS4/XB1 either, as well as vise versa.

Edited by Narukami07

Wait, was it ever confirmed it's an exclusive game? Because I thought the direct quote was that it was an exclusive deal with three Sonic games, not that all three would be exclusive. What if it was a multiplatform Sonic game with the Wii U being the definitive version?

Wait, was it ever confirmed it's an exclusive game? Because I thought the direct quote was that it was an exclusive deal with three Sonic games, not that all three would be exclusive. What if it was a multiplatform Sonic game with the Wii U being the definitive version?

Nintendo are co-publishers. Those 3 games are gonna stay exclusive.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mario and Sonic Collosal Rift - a spin-off to the Mario and Sonic series [after all, this is a speculation thread].

Eggman and Bowser fuse the machines they use to get to the Olympic Games, but bring both the Mushroom Kingdom and Earth together. Upon fusing the two, Sonic and Mario meet Bowser and Eggman, who explain their plan while holding the fused machine. The point of the connected machines forms the line of the connected worlds. After they finish explaining, the two swap places and pull the machine apart. The worlds separate again, but the worlds swap, so that Sonic is in the Mushroom Kingdom and Mario is on Earth.

Both set to work on their plans to take over the world without their respective hero getting in the way. Meanwhile, the heroes are getting used to their new surroundings, explaining to the others' friends what happened. Both groups then set out to stop the enemy and right the wrongs.

It's basically a supercharged version of that Crash and Spyro crossover, except on a more grand Generations play concept [swapping between characters in the overworld brings forward that characters play style] so you've got two different play styles in one game with a lot of levels and an overworld. The cutscenes will only play after a level has been completed for each character.

Or, failing that, a Sonic and Star Wars crossover in which Eggman joins the Empire, Sonic joins the Mandalorians, and Shadow and Tails join the Sith and Jedi Acemedies respectively, where a massive fight is taking place and the Sonic crew has to survive until they can work out how to get back home. Before they become too accustomed to the world into which they were thrown.

[baiscally the Chaos energy is activated in the engine room of Eggman's new fortress ship in space, so that Sonic and Shadow could put a stop to Eggman's new plan. The Chaos energy instead super charges the engines and pulls the ship into something like hyperspace, which then explodes the ship and the four are scattered throughout the Star Wars galaxy]

I'm full of crossovers.

I was about to say another Sonic Rush title exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS, but then I reread the topic's title. I still think that's a strong possibility though.

Lost World just screams sequel bait, although the game got mixed reception. I think we'll get a story follow up, but they'll either bring the boost back, try to fuse it with Lost World's gameplay, or do something new altogether.

A Heroes sequel is likely to happen since Iizuka stated at Sonic Boom 2013 he would like to see the team based gameplay return.

I highly doubt it'll be anything from the likes of Adventure 3(lulz), a Sonic 4 continuation, or a sports title. The few remaining titles I can think of are maybe a Riders game or something entirely new. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Couldn't the third exclusive be a 3DS game? I thought the only caveat was that the games would all be Nintendo-exclusive, not that they'd all be on the Wii U specifically.

I'm not expecting another main-series platformer so soon, anyway. Maybe some kind of Rush- or Storybook-like spinoff platformer, but those don't really seem to happen anymore. A new Riders might be nice, I guess, and obviously a proper crossover with Mario is on everybody's wishlist. I dunno.

I've still got my fingers crossed for an actually-good RPG, personally. The last few big games have left me thirsty for story and characters other than Sonic getting to do things.

• Thumbs Up 4

Puke.

SEGA haven't been terribly shy about borrowing from Mario lately, so this seems like the perfect time to copy his winning RPG formula too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly wouldn't mind another Sonic Riders.

As long as it goes back to the first game in terms of gameplay mechanics instead of trashing it any further for the sake of gimmicks then i wouldn't object, Free Riders was so ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Right just thinking regarding what the next Sonic Wii U game is going to be:

Most likely it is too stretched for another mainline platformer since Lost World was only just released, the days of Sega releasing Colours one year and Generations the next are over since Colours is an SD game while Generations is a HD one and it takes longer to make textures at a larger resolution or having a large team. If there is another 3D Sonic platformer my guess is that it will be a multiplatform release for the PS4/Xbone in around 2015 with a possible Wii U version by Dimps or a spinoff platformer with a different mechanic.

It might or might not be a kart racer since not only Nintendo are working on Mario Kart 8 right now (however will be interesting if Sonic is a bonus character of some sort) but also Sumo Digital are working on a game based on the LittleBigPlanet series whether it is the Hub or the PS4 sequel. Usually Sumo has a sizeable gap for a sequel so it might be possible e.g. OutRun 2 -> OutRun 2006 (about 2 years), Virtua Tennis World Tour -> Sega Superstars Tennis (3 years) -> Virtua Tennis 2009 (1 year however SST is probably a test engine for that), Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing -> Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed (2 years). It does seem a bit clashy if it is that like how late 2012 had 3 types of "kart style" racing games with SASRT, LittleBigPlanet Racing and F1 Race Stars all being released close to each other.

Dimps is due for another crack at the 2D platformer so it might be that or Sega of China is busy porting Sonic Heroes to the Wii U that for Sega is the cheapest, fastest option and it's been a while since I've heard of them (considering that there is already a PC release or reusing the Gamecube version like Sonic Adventure 2).

Another option is a spinoff; it might be a Riders game that is interesting to see, a Party game or even a Sonic sports (non-Olympic) game. There was a secret unlockable in Virtua Striker 3 ver 2002 so a Sonic football/soccer game might be doable plus there are no new FIFA and no PES games on the console, it would fill the gap in unless Nintendo/Next-Level are working on the next Mario Strikers game. Then again Sega are full of surprises, it might be a Japanese only Sonic dating sim/VN.

A Heroes sequel is likely to happen since Iizuka stated at Sonic Boom 2013 he would like to see the team based gameplay return.

how-about-no-bear-meme.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2