Awoo.

Speculation Thread: The Third Wii U Exclusive Sonic Title

Narukami07

The only thing I'm speculating about is that it's either going to be another racing title made by Sumo or it's going to be a entirely new genre for the franchise but there should be some answers by the end of the year or in early 2014.

Bleh.

Honestly, nothing stated here has even remotely sparked my interest. A Mario/Sonic racing game? Snore. Mario Kart 8 already has my racing game attention. Sonic Riders 4? Yawn. All of them but the first one sucked, no reason to think another would be any better. Not to mention, racing game. Another Storybook game? Meh. More gimmicky crap. Sonic Heroes 2? Vomit.  Yeah no thanks.  Ever.

I honestly don't care what the next Sonic game is. My eagerness for Lost World has even waned to the point of "Eh, it'll get here when it gets here". Unless Sonic Team really wows me, I might have to go ahead and say I'll likely give whatever this game is a pass.

Also, I won't be purchasing either of the "next-gen" consoles, so anything that happens outside of the WiiU or 3DS is completely off my radar.

Edited by Master of Disguise Wario
  • Thumbs Up 3

Yes please...and luckily, there is no Kinect on site this time.

The Kinect and lack of animated cutscenes was what held Free Riders back.

The Kinect and lack of animated cutscenes was what held Free Riders back.

And two of the biggest problems in America are rape and jaywalking.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I would enjoy out of this: a Sonic Adventure remake (aaaayyyy, SA1's 15th anniversary is coming up :V ), a multiplatform release game from the Unleashed Team with pluses specific to the Wii U version.

Sounds cool but unlikely: A non-Olympics Mario/Sonic crossover (like a Mario Party / Sonic Shuffle blend maybe?), another Sonic Shuffle in general, a Sonic / Mario crossover racer (VERY unlikely), another Sonic RPG title with some of the M&L team (basically pipedreaming at that point).

Sound pretty terrible but likely: A Heroes-style game, yet another Olympics game, another episode of Sonic 4..

Would worry me but maybe good would be of it: Another storybook game, or another Riders game.

Looking back at it, this could go many ways. :v

• Thumbs Up 9

Eh, Heroes had a lot of potential imo, seeing the gimmick being executed  well would be a treat. 

*shrug*

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh, Heroes had a lot of potential imo, seeing the gimmick being executed  well would be a treat. 

*shrug*

It would have to be damn near completely different, and at that point it would be hard to call it a sequel...

It would have to be damn near completely different, and at that point it would be hard to call it a sequel...

As long as the basic team gameplay concept is there it's fine.

Sound pretty terrible but likely: A Heroes-style game, yet another Olympics game, another episode of Sonic 4..

I don't think anybody needs to worry about this exclusive being more Sonic 4. I kind of doubt we'll be seeing any more of that game anyway, but making Episode III a Nintendo exclusive when Episode II wasn't released on any of Nintendo's hardware seems particularly silly.

Also, wasn't the deal that the next three consecutive Sonic games would be exclusive? I can't imagine the franchise lying dormant for two years until the next Olympics, and a surprise 3DS version of Sochi Winter Games would probably still count as that one. So probably that's not worth fretting over either.

Edited by Octaween

To be honest, I feel like Sonic 4: Episode 2 did a better job on teamwork mechanics than Heroes. And considering S4E2's attempt was nothing impressive at all (if somewhat annoying and intrusive), that doesn't make me feel good for trying Heroes gameplay again. XD

And yeah, I guess you're right. Another Sonic 4 or Heroes is just a general worry from me though. XD I'm also not sure if it was exactly 3 exclusive games or just an exclusive deal related to 3 games.. which is why I brought up the idea of a multiplatform game with Wii U dominant benefits.

Edited by Azookara

Third title? Well, I really hope it's better than SLoW. What I'd love to see and hear:

- Much bigger budget. It looks like they reeeeeally didn't want to go big with SLoW.

- Better graphics with art direction like in previous Sonic games.

- Better music that doesn't sound like Mario. More energetic music with more genres and more fitting instruments

- MUCH better story. It's like they don't even try nowadays. Unleashed was kinda weak but at least I could take it seriously when needed and characters were showing their different sides. Since Colors all stories are such a huge shame.

- Playable SOMEBODY who's not Sonic or some plastic toy-helicopter. Tails, Shadow, Knuckles, Amy, Silver, Blaze, Metal Sonic, Eggman, ANYBODY!

- Fast gameplay. I still can't help but see Lost World as a slow Sonic game.

- Less Mario influences, please, for the love of God!

- Improve the design of enemies. Make the bosses better and bring back the S4/SC/SG style of badniks.

- More content that actually belongs in a Sonic game. SLoW bonus levels were mostly so out of place, it was just awful.

- Vocal theme again, please.

- A better, much better ending. All three previous games disappointed me a lot in that department.

- Parkour can stay, just improve it but please get rid of the stupid wisps!

It can be a main game but I'm OK with another spin-off if it's a qualitative game. My dream main game would be Sonic Adventure 3 with another Riders game being my dream spin-off game (if it has a good story like in two first riders games, that is).

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

My thoughts on some of the subjects thrown around in this thread and the actual possibility of it happening.

-Actual Full Blown Sonic game-

• Continuation of Sonic Lost World gameplay - Lost World's had about an average reception. Perhaps Sonic Team will want to polish the gameplay a bit more, of put Sonic in a bit more grounded setting. Perhaps we'll see a more subtler evaluation, like the similarites between Secret Rings and Unleashed.  However, in the end it's SEGA who have the final say - if they decide Lost World was a failure, they might not be willing to fund a sequel.
  • Continuation of the Boost gameplay - It's possible that due to Lost World's mixed reaction that Sonic Team will have to go back to "playing it safe".  It's also possible that Lost World's gameplay wasn't meant to be a permanent thing, but a break from the main formula.
  • Revival of older game types - I find this to be highly unlikely, but then who can predict what Sonic Team will do? Did anyone expect to see the spindash return? At this stage, the Sonic 4 series seems to be the most likely to return (due to critics mindlessly praising it and everybody's love of classic sonic gameplay). Iizuka's expressed his interest in Sonic Heroes, and the Fans are always clamoring for SA3.
  • Something completely new again - Sonic Team are always trying new things. I think it's unlikely they'd try something new this close to Sonic Lost World though. It seems more-likely they'll continue with either Boost or Lost World gameplay.

- Spin-offery -

• Another M+S Olympics game - Let's face it, Sega has the rights, and the series prints money. It's getting to be like EA and sports games - just tweak the graphics, add new setting and voila! Profit. It's not what most of us would want but it prints money and SEGA and Nintendo don't seem to miss a beat when it comes to this sort of thing.
  • A M+S Platformer crossover - I find this to be highly unlikely, if only for the reason that plot-lines in Mario are almost dialogue void whist plotlines in Sonic can be dialogue heavy. Also they're the fact they're competing franchises, and the difference in gameplay is quite vast. Racing is possible, but I think that announcement of Mario Kart Zero Gravity 8 kills that chance. It's a possibility Sonic could be a cameo character, but I don't think that'd count as an exclusive, as it isn't Sega made.
  • A riders game - Personally, I believe the Riders series is quite dead in the water, and has been for some time now. The All-Stars racing series has taken it's place, and it went out on such a low I think it'd be hard to justify it's return.
  • Party Game - There hasn't been a Sonic standalone party game since Sonic Shuffle, and Sega seems to have abandoned the concept. I find this highly unlikely. HOWEVER - the M+S series prints cash. It could be Sega will want a piece of this cash, but minus the properties they don't own. I still find it highly unlikely, but it's not necessary impossible.
  • Something from SUMO digital - SUMO does have it's hands full at the moment, but they're a reasonably sized company so it's not unreasonable to assume they could work with multiple projects. Racing Transformed did quite well, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but haven't they've expressed interest in continuing the series? They did ask about what we'd want from another title in the series - and most asked for a fighting game - but that doesn't necessary confirm anything.

... Think I covered just about everything.

Edited by -Paradox-

Continuation of the Boost gameplay - It's possible that due to Lost World's mixed reaction that Sonic Team will have to go back to "playing it safe".  It's also possible that Lost World's gameplay wasn't meant to be a permanent thing, but a break from the main formula.

I don't want Sonic to turn into the next NSMB-equivalent of the franchise, so i'd be disappointed. :(

As much as I would love to see a Sonic Heroes 2 some day, I'm gonna have to go with the idea that it'll be a storybook game. It's been quite a while since they polled us on what we wanted the next theme to be, and seeing as it would have been an exclusive anyways I really don't see how it's not possible.

Just curious, but did they ever specify that the last title wouldn't be a 3DS exclusive? Or would that be a possibility?

As much as I would love to see a Sonic Heroes 2 some day, I'm gonna have to go with the idea that it'll be a storybook game. It's been quite a while since they polled us on what we wanted the next theme to be, and seeing as it would have been an exclusive anyways I really don't see how it's not possible.

Just curious, but did they ever specify that the last title wouldn't be a 3DS exclusive? Or would that be a possibility?

Nintendo needs all it can to help push the wii-u right now, I have a feeling they would be pushing hard for it to be for that

As much as I think Sonic Adventure 3 is unlikely to happen, making it exclusive to Nintendo consoles would be a giant middle finger to Microsoft and Sony console owners.

If Sonic Unleashed was any indication, Sonic Team sticks to a fomula and gradually improves upon it (shown with Colors and Generations). With that in mind, a sequel to Lost World is very plosable to me, as there still is alot that can be done with this new gameplay; non-Galaxy esc level design, more grounded envioments, better implemtation of the Wisps (or a explanation on why they are their...), and alternte playable characters (Tails, Knuckles and Amy). Success or not, Lost World has some great ideas and they desirve a second coat of polish and fixes to be in another game.

However, Sega must be worried with Lost Worlds mixed reception, so they my go back to the Modern Sonic gameplay from Generations or a flat out Classic Sonic tittle (with S3&K's physics of course) just to get the Sonic series high Metacritic scores; they dont want Sonic to go back to being "medocore" or "bad" in the eyes of the critics and public, so they will do what ever they can to contiune Sonic's success after Unleashed.

As much as I think Sonic Adventure 3 is unlikely to happen, making it exclusive to Nintendo consoles would be a giant middle finger to Microsoft and Sony console owners.

...That WOULD be something, and I can see it happening; with Nintendo EAD Tokios help along with the Generations team, a Adventure III could be a show-piece game for the Wii U (maybe even its Galaxy so to speak).

Yeah but then Discoid would complain it has Mario influence.

PLEASE DONT KILL ME IM JOKING PLEASE I BEG YOU <3 DISCOID

In all seriousness, Nintendo could probably place Sonic in his own little genre without copying Mario. If it was indeed the "galaxy" of the Wii U, I'm sure it'd make tons of people jealous. ESPECIALLY Sonic fans.

Why would it make Sonic fans jellous though? I meant that the game could have the impact as Mario Galaxy did; the Adventure gameplay done right (mixed with elements of Lost World and Generations) could be groundbreaking in the platforming genera, esecpally if Nintendo were to give Sonic Team a hand in making it (dat Nintendo polish goes a long way; Other M was fun to play despite its horrid story tongue.png).

If you mean the game being a Nintendo exclusive, then I guess your right, notibly with more powerful hardware in the PS4 and X1 that could be used for this hypothetical SA3 could use. I guess we will see what happens; my best guess is that we get a Lost World sequel that explains some things Lost World didn't answer; the Wisps pressence explained, the Deadly Six coming back, and what happened to the Lost Hex after Sonic defeated Eggman/Deadly Six.

I honestly don't expect it to be another spin-off title, if only due to how tight-lipped they've been when it comes to talking about it. Spin-off titles have usually been announced or released alongside the main releases, such as M&S with Unleashed, SatSR with 06, and the various handheld games with their respective games. If SEGA had no problem announcing those spinoffs alongside the mains, and still don't with M&S2014 and SLW, why are they so tight-lipped about this one specifically?