Awoo.

Speculation Thread: The Third Wii U Exclusive Sonic Title

Narukami07

One day. One day my dream of a Storybook game based on the Odyssey will be realized...

they can even have one of the Deadly Six come in and serve as the cyclops Sonic/Odysseus blinds!

Zomom: BROTHERS! NOBODY HAS BLINDED ME!

• Thumbs Up 1

Was this definitely announced as a third SONIC title, or a third Sega exclusive?

SEGA Blogs

The new agreement will make Nintendo consoles the number one destination for Sonic gaming over the next three titles.  The first two titles of the deal were announced today via Nintendo Direct, and details of the third Sonic title will be revealed at a later date.

It's definitely a Sonic title, exclusive to Nintendo platforms. We don't know if it' be 3DS, Wii U or both yet.

Edited by Blue Blood

Don't even know if its going to be a main-series game like Lost World. Could be a spinoff...

We shall find out soon enough.

Anyway, is there anything on how Lost Worlds has performed, in terms of sales....?

Don't even know if its going to be a main-series game like Lost World. Could be a spinoff...

We shall find out soon enough.

Anyway, is there anything on how Lost Worlds has performed, in terms of sales....?

Terribly in Japan

Media Create’s latest data revealed that the 3DS version of Sonic Lost World sold 4,919 copies in its first few days of availability in Japan. The Wii U version, however, was nowhere to be seen.

Dengeki has come through with sales of its own courtesy of ASCII Media Works. Despite the fact that Sonic Lost World was the best-selling Wii U game in Japan last week, it managed to sell just 2,076 copies.

And in the UK, it debuted at #1 on the Wii U charts and has remained at #3 for the subsequent weeks. And or the 3DS it debuted at #4 before coasting along at #5 ever since. In the all formats top 40, the 3DS version is currently at #21. The Wii U version was #10 in the all formats on it's first week, which sounds good, but has since totally dropped off the radar!

Just for the sake of comparison. Wind Waker HD is currently the top selling Wii U game, and it's managing only #32 in the all formats.

So from this we can deduce that the sales really aren't great (go figure, it's a Wii U game) and it's doing slightly better on 3DS.

• Thumbs Up 1

Going by reviews, it seems the general consensus is that the game is solid and good, but falls short of great, critic reviews averaging at 65%.The fans rate it at 75%. If you ask me, the most important part of a title is how much the fans enjoy it, so I guess I'll consider this one a success. Anyone else want to shed some light on this?

Edited by Kamakai

The last fully handheld Sonic game was back in 2007, so who knows, maybe we're overdue for a 3DS exclusive.

Though I'd imagine a Wii U version is almost guaranteed since it seems fairly obvious this whole deal was to try and increase sales of Wii U units. Doesn't seem to be working that well, but hey, it was the goal!

I also just noticed that All Stars Tennis was a 2008 title. Some sort of All Stars game in 2014 is looking a lot more likely with the two year pattern. Nintendo puts about three years between the Mario Kart titles, so the next one would be 2014... It would seem weird for there to be a Mario Kart title as well as All Stars (or crossover) racing title... so I think they might change the genre around for any All Stars game. Two racers seems a bit unnecessary and could cut into sales of Mario Kart 8.

That also kind of hurts a fighting game's chances as well.

So we might get that soccer game after all. Sigh.

Edited by Ogilvie

Yeah. They have a racer that is well-reviewed and a racer that isn't so well-reviewed. Since SEGA likes to remove badly-reviewed titles from circulation, I can see them getting rid of Riders for this reason alone.

Bleh but I enjoy Riders more. ASRT was a bit... Boring after the first month or so. D:

I'm going to be "That Guy" and suggest that maybe the third Nintendo exclusive Sonic game is....an all-new game.

I'll even wager that the third Wii U-exclusive Sonic game is a small downloadable title exclusive to the Wii U's eShop. If the middling sales and reviews of SLW are anything to indicate, it doesn't seem to far-fetched that Sega would opt for a cheaper option of making a downloadable game rather than a retail Sonic title.

The next Sonic game being a sequel to older Sonic games (Adventure, Shuffle, Heroes, Riders, Storybook series, etc.) seems pretty far fetched to me.

- A hypothetical "Sonic Adventure 3" would be one of the most, if not the most, anticipated Sonic game(s) ever, so making it Nintendo-exclusive would effectively polarize half of the fanbase.

- "Riders 4" seems highly unlikely to me. Free Riders was also Xbox-exclusive and had extensive use of the Kinect for the gameplay, and look how that turned out; so I doubt Sega would make another exclusive entry that integrates gimmicky Wii U shenanigans into the game. On top of that, Free Riders effectively rounds out what is now a trilogy of the Riders games. Doesn't make sense to extend the series further beyond that, especially when Sega have the much better-received All-Stars Racing series currently awaiting a third installment. 

- An exclusive Sonic 4: Episode III seems unlikely because Episode II's reception has put the series on life support. On top of that WiiWare was locked out of an Episode II release, so it wouldn't make sense for Sega to pull an 180 and make the third entry a Wii U exclusive to the expense of PS/Xbox/iOS/Android/Windows Phone owners. Not to mention that the report on Sonic 4: Episode I's sales stated that on consoles Episode I sold the least on the WiiWare (although that can arguably be attributed to the unpopularity of that platform, considering that Sonic games otherwise sell best on Nintendo platforms). Factoring in the Wii U's small install base (compounded by Lost World's sales so far), I highly doubt Sega would likely take such a risk.

My only other guess I have for what the third Wii U-exclusive Sonic title could be would be an enhanced compilation port/remake of the Advance trilogy, although it would make a lot more sense if it was released on the 3DS (eShop) instead.

Edited by Glad Tidings Gabriel
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, those sales figures for Lost World do seem bad. No wonder I haven't been getting any Streetpasses for the 3DS version.

As for an entirely new Sonic game, I struggle to think what they could do. The main series is obviously a mainstay, the All-Stars/Racing series is a well recieved spin-off series. No storybook games have even been hinted at over the past few years, and instead we seem to be getting a combination of high budget and low budget main series instead. Riders failed when it used the Kinect, and none of the other spin-off series have seen the light of day for ages.

It really would be too much to ask for the original trilogy in 3D with Lost World's engine, wouldn't it?

If it's an all-new game, it will almost certainly be tiny. While it is possible to have multiple big projects staggered, SEGA hasn't really shown themselves to really do that; if they go for a non-spinoff for 2014 it will be small, guaranteed.

I've no idea if SEGA would be willing to wait 3 years for a main game to make sure we have a main title for the 25th anniversary, but who knows, it's been done before, however rarely. I wouldn't mind a really awesome, huge game for 2016 with 2014 and 2015 getting smaller games/spinoffs.

Well, those sales figures for Lost World do seem bad. No wonder I haven't been getting any Streetpasses for the 3DS version.

As for an entirely new Sonic game, I struggle to think what they could do. The main series is obviously a mainstay, the All-Stars/Racing series is a well recieved spin-off series. No storybook games have even been hinted at over the past few years, and instead we seem to be getting a combination of high budget and low budget main series instead. Riders failed when it used the Kinect, and none of the other spin-off series have seen the light of day for ages.

It really would be too much to ask for the original trilogy in 3D with Lost World's engine, wouldn't it?

As much as I don't want Sega to remake the classics, that's not entirely implausible, considering's Sega's interest in remaking classic games/IPs... ._.

Mario and Sonic racing game made by SUMO.

Come on SEGA, give us that if you're not willing to give us a crossover platformer.

Would it really affect MK8's performance if MK8 comes out in the spring and this theoretical crossover racer comes out in, like November?

Would it really affect MK8's performance if MK8 comes out in the spring and this theoretical crossover racer comes out in, like November?

Nintendo wouldn't want a game to be competing with Mario Kart, or potentially confusing fans. And I'm pretty sure SEGA wouldn't want to be in direct competition with Mario Kart either.

Nintendo wouldn't want a game to be competing with Mario Kart, or potentially confusing fans. And I'm pretty sure SEGA wouldn't want to be in direct competition with Mario Kart either.

Yeah, I can get that.

But would it really be a problem with a big gap in between the release of the games? 

Yeah, I can get that.

But would it really be a problem with a big gap in between the release of the games? 

Mario Kart is a system seller, and will remain as one of the U's top charting games for months, if not years. Having another Mario racing game next to it on the shelves would still be a problem for a fair while after release.

• Thumbs Up 1

I doubt it'll be another main series game.

I'm guessing it'll end up being that Mario & Sonic racing cross over that was hinted at.

Mario vs Sonic Tennis/Football (soccer)/Golf etc?

ugh

Since this game was mostly by the Colours team (apparently), would it be reasonable to predict the third exclusive is something by the "Unleashed team" that's been in development alongside SLW?

ugh

Since this game was mostly by the Colours team (apparently), would it be reasonable to predict the third exclusive is something by the "Unleashed team" that's been in development alongside SLW?

actualy, I wouldnt aruge this, uts quite likely, and it would be interesting to see since the Generations team in some ways can be more competent than the colors one